Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1390
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Been playing Pokemon Unite. It's a free MOBA on switch. It encourages a lot of mobility and combat, has a lot of subtle nuances that rewards players that know how to play (like how jungling is a big deal, and rewards only go to the team that lands the last hit).

It's pretty clever, and not a badly designed MOBA, it's just tricky to find the right pokemon to play since a lot of them have unique playstyles and combos that aren't obvious until you've played them a few times.

It also does a pretty good job of making no position boring. For instance, the starter support you can get focuses on landing sticky bombs that heal allies if they're caught in the explosion, or sending out a terrain effect that speeds up allies and slows enemies, so you're encouraged to still be aggressive and stay active in the game.

I'd put it in the same category as Heroes of the Storm. While other MOBAs are made for the top 15% of gamers, these focus on the other 85%, prioritizing fun over competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #1382

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Been playing Pokemon Unite. It's a free MOBA on switch. It encourages a lot of mobility and combat, has a lot of subtle nuances that rewards players that know how to play (like how jungling is a big deal, and rewards only go to the team that lands the last hit).

It's pretty clever, and not a badly designed MOBA, it's just tricky to find the right pokemon to play since a lot of them have unique playstyles and combos that aren't obvious until you've played them a few times.

It also does a pretty good job of making no position boring. For instance, the starter support you can get focuses on landing sticky bombs that heal allies if they're caught in the explosion, or sending out a terrain effect that speeds up allies and slows enemies, so you're encouraged to still be aggressive and stay active in the game.

I'd put it in the same category as Heroes of the Storm. While other MOBAs are made for the top 15% of gamers, these focus on the other 85%, prioritizing fun over competition.
    I've heard there are pay to win elements, which makes it an immediate non starter for me. How true is that?

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Just started playing ARK: Survival Evolved. Don't m ow how many times I have spawned just below a T-rex of Titanoboa who then promptly tear off my unexpected and unprepared upper half.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I've heard there are pay to win elements, which makes it an immediate non starter for me. How true is that?
    It's more of a 'pay to get advantage now' rather than full P2W.

The currency needed to upgrade held items can be bought with paid gems, but the game is decently generous with how much it gives out, so you'll catch up with time.

And the held items don't give that much of an advantage overall. There's a minimal difference between a lvl 20 item and a maxed lvl 30 item for example.

Only thing I've noticed that can be considered P2W at least.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Even with the meme building this run has been simple enough that I'm very tempted to finally try a Maddening run. Maybe Maddening Casual so I can throw bodies at a problem without totally boning myself in future missions?
    Haven't tried Three Houses yet, but Maddening Casual or Hard Classic would be fine for a FE veteran, I'd assume.

On a very tangential note, FE5 certainly seems to have a difficulty spike in some missions while being perfectly manageable in others. Just the chapters 4x and 5 costed me 4 softlocks worth of thief deaths (the AI sure loves to go after your weak units!), while the rest of 1-8 combined don't even come close to it so far. Weird stuff.

From the devs' perspective, giving even ~20 HP instead of the starting ~14 to your thieves/priests would have been enough to put them out of most "one shotted out of the fog of war" territory, but I know... it was the 90s.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2021-07-24 at 12:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Haven't tried Three Houses yet, but Maddening Casual or Hard Classic would be fine for a FE veteran, I'd assume.

On a very tangential note, FE5 certainly seems to have a difficulty spike in some missions while being perfectly manageable in others. Just the chapters 4x and 5 costed me 4 softlocks worth of thief deaths (the AI sure loves to go after your weak units!), while the rest of 1-8 combined don't even come close to it so far. Weird stuff.

From the devs' perspective, giving even ~20 HP instead of the starting ~14 to your thieves/priests would have been enough to put them out of most "one shotted out of the fog of war" territory, but I know... it was the 90s.
    Hard Classic is pretty much the "default" difficulty for the modern FEs. You can get through Normal difficulty by rolling your face against the controller.

My reluctance for Maddening mostly comes from flashbacks to Awakening's Lunatic mode. It was doable eventually, but the early levels were hell and I only managed it with a ton of grinding. Even then the final boss required a healthy dose of luck to defeat (Not even Lunatic Grima can withstand 3 Astra procs in a row it seems). Maddening's reputation isn't as fearsome as Awakening Lunatic, but on the flip side it doesn't have infinite grinding and the leveling rate is cut in half. This means regimenting your experience gains and even tossing units to the wolves (sorry Ashe) are required, and you're also heavily limited on who you can recruit since there isn't enough experience to go around.

I booted up a New Game+ Maddening run, but when I looked at what you get from NG+ I couldn't do it. . Instant max professor rank, full support on your characters, AND you get to unlock skills and class masteries early? No, this is not on.

I am going to try Maddening on Casual though, because my current run is getting boring. I'm at the point where I can send Flayn and Marianne into the enemy and laugh as foes charge into the meat grinder.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

I gave Into the Breach another try. Unlocked the Blitzkrieg (lightning mechs), and those are a lot of fun. Actually ended up winning with them, and got the achievement for hitting 10 squares at once with the lightning chain (the AI in the second bossfight was quite literally lining up for me; easiest boss ever).

I also learned that while said lightning chain passes harmlessly through buildings with the upgrade, it does no such thing for defense objectives like the train or Renfield bombs... which kind of stinks. Lost a couple of points because I unwitting toasted my own train (twice) thinking it counted as a building.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-07-29 at 04:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

8. - Top - End - #1388

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    It's more of a 'pay to get advantage now' rather than full P2W.

The currency needed to upgrade held items can be bought with paid gems, but the game is decently generous with how much it gives out, so you'll catch up with time.

And the held items don't give that much of an advantage overall. There's a minimal difference between a lvl 20 item and a maxed lvl 30 item for example.

Only thing I've noticed that can be considered P2W at least.
    It can take a while to unlock pokemon without real cash, but otherwise I agree. The game itself is fun and fast enough (like 10 minute rounds) that you don't really care all that much about the grind. Each Pokemon essentially has 4 different playstyles to mess around with, and the balance between them is fairly good.

My biggest complaint is that apparently some Pokemon use Special Attack for their basic attacks, while others use normal Attack, and there is no other benefit to upgrading your Special or basic Attack and there's no way to tell what pokemon uses what. So you could, for example, use one of your equipment slots on a pokemon for a special attack item before the round started just for it to not have any effect.

Would have been a lot better if they just had normal Attack apply to basic attacks and Special Attack apply to your CD powers, but that's none of my business.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-07-29 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ogre in the Playground

It can take a while to unlock pokemon without real cash, but otherwise I agree. The game itself is fun and fast enough (like 10 minute rounds) that you don't really care all that much about the grind. Each Pokemon essentially has 4 different playstyles to mess around with, and the balance between them is fairly good.

My biggest complaint is that apparently some Pokemon use Special Attack for their basic attacks, while others use normal Attack, and there is no other benefit to upgrading your Special or basic Attack and there's no way to tell what pokemon uses what. So you could, for example, use one of your equipment slots on a pokemon for a special attack item before the round started just for it to not have any effect.

Would have been a lot better if they just had normal Attack apply to basic attacks and Special Attack apply to your CD powers, but that's none of my business.
    As far as I know, aside from Charizard and Lucario whose powered attack (3rd auto)*, all other auto attacks physical attack.

Agreed about the abilities though. They could definitely have made it easier to figure out who uses what. Only upside is, they're either all Sp. Attack or Phys Attack. No 'ability 1 is Sp Att, ability 2 is Phys Att' stuff going on.

*They apparently have something special attached to their boosted attack. Charizard's burn passive seems to use Sp. Attack for example.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Blaseball is finally finished and what a grim but beautiful finale that was. So long and thanks for all the fish!