New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

So I finished Dragonfall.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I got the canon ending. Apex has been formatted, Feuerschwinge has been convinced to sleep and return to her mission later, and the crew has cut a deal with a second dragon. Got to say that that was some of the best writing I've seen in an RPG, even if I messed a couple of optional plotlines up.

I hate the APEX mission though. Those drones took about four full auto bursts with an assualt rigfle to take done, and that seemed to be the only way to reasonably damage them. Coupled with having to keep enemies away from the two side terminals. Compared to that the final mission is nothing, even with the time limit the final boss isn't that hard, Especially once I started hitting him with AP attacks and popping +AP drugs.

Now it's time to start Hong Kong, and after playing the opening (jus got out of the sewers), my first thought are 'wow, those ork and troll models look so much better'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Banned

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

With Hong Kong it's important to talk to all the npcs as much as possible if you want the best ending. That's all I'll say in order to avoid spoilers, but you can always look it up if you want to know more.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

I have now installed mods into Kotor 1 and 2 to enhance their romance options and to restore content. I've started the Genoharadan which I've never done in Kotor 1 before. freeing the wookies by itself was surprisingly enough to kick back over to slightly leaning light side rather slightly leaning dark side. the weird thing is I've managed to trigger Bastila's jealousy of the player being better at the light side than her while my alignment was leaning dark side, so I think I've found a sweet spot of "dark side but not evil" character, where I don't do anything cartoonishly evil but if there is reward I'm doing things for that I'm not going to turn them down just for light side points, but at the same time I be respectful to my friends and party members their desires. basically I'm a scoundrel turned jedi and thus playing it like a scoundrel would if they recently turned jedi. turns out as long as you stay away from all the cartoonish options you get a pretty reasonable character. I'm aiming for a Juhani romance which I've also never done.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    With Hong Kong it's important to talk to all the npcs as much as possible if you want the best ending. That's all I'll say in order to avoid spoilers, but you can always look it up if you want to know more.
    So basically, treat it as an RPG?

But yeah, speaking to people where I can. Just got past the 'becoming a Shadowrunner' part, so I'm going to talk to everybody in this hub before embarking on a mission.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Several years late, I finally got into Mass Effect. It's fun. Good combination of shooter and RPG. The world feels very alive. I was just introduced to the joys and wonders of planetary exploration in my search for the Asari researcher.

And yes, I am well aware that many were disappointed by the ending of the trilogy. But for me it's more about the journey than the destination. Don't spoil me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Several years late, I finally got into Mass Effect. It's fun. Good combination of shooter and RPG. The world feels very alive. I was just introduced to the joys and wonders of planetary exploration in my search for the Asari researcher.

And yes, I am well aware that many were disappointed by the ending of the trilogy. But for me it's more about the journey than the destination. Don't spoil me.
    The journey is 100% worth it. Even if the ending is lackluster, the series is well worth playing, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

So World of Warships just changed all the commander skills. Most of the changes are either pointless, tedious, or suck, with such charming additions as boosts to cruiser HE spam, long range battleship accuracy, and (sigh) torpedo bomber buffs. I can only conclude their analytics showed that some players weren't constantly on fire, getting sniped, or sailing in circles trying to desperately dodge aerial torpedoes while on fire and being sniped, and something had to be done.

Stealth upside: it's a Mikasa buff. Mikasa, the only predreadnought in the game, is a total joke of a ship and usually basically impossible to find matches for because she's restricted to TII and TIII only... and she's the only TII battleship. But he way they reworked secondary batteries actually boosts her accuracy and lets all the secondaries fire even with a focused target, so everybody's getting their Tsushima on. Right now you can get matches with 2 Mikasa s on each side, which steam right up next to each other and proceed to just cut loose with her genuinely insane predreadnought broadside. It's just glorious.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

So, I stuck with Avengers a little while longer than I thought. Finished up the special side-quests for each character... and was not very impressed. You get such wonderful things as Thor dealing with a cult of Asgard-worshippers who think someone else is him and he's a false god, yet the enemies are all still the same generic robots as everywhere else in the game, not people at all. Further, while Loki is strongly implied to be the one masquerading as Thor, you never so much as see him, even in the final mission for the side-quest. Or Iron's Man side-quest, which had no actual missions at all, it just you completing a couple of lists of minor challenges (kill X number of this enemy, use this ability x times, that sort of thing) to receive the rewards. Yeah, it was pretty sad all around, honestly.

What kept me playing longer was trying the one DLC character (who is apparently free, since I didn't buy her), Hawkeye. Who I assume to be one of the myriad promoted sidekicks of the superhero world, since it's a young girl named Kate instead of the normal version. But honestly, for gameplay at least, I like her better. She's not just an archer, she's also a swordfighter, and can teleport - not sure if the latter is due to powers or tech, but it gives her some cool options that nobody else in the game has. Kind of makes her feel like she'd fit right into a Marvel vs Capcom game, which is a high praise as far as I'm concerned. And it helps that she doesn't feel nearly as sluggish as most of the others, either. She was easily the most fun to play as character in the game, and largely the reason I kept playing it, trying to clear out the various side-quests. But eventually I just got sick of how monotonous they are - aside from the (non-Iron Man) character-specific ones they're all just the same repetitive few types of missions against the same bunch of pretty generic enemies. The occasional boss fight with the giant robot or airship could only keep my interest for so long, even if they are the best fights in the game.

So today I started Mario 64 in my Mario 3D All-Stars. And yep, that's a burst of pure nostalgia right there. First 3D video game I ever played, unless you count the original Doom on my uncle's PC when I was very young, so there's always going to be some inherent fun to coming back to it. And honestly, it does hold up better than you'd expect for being the very first 3D platformer. It has some camera issues (which I can only imagine I just never noticed before due to not having anything to compare it to at the time), controls noticeably stiffer than later games, and is a lot easier than I remembered, but the level design is quite good, it establishes a lot of important fundamentals for the genre on the first try, does give you some engaging platforming challenges even relatively early, and rewards exploration with plenty of secrets to find. It's been surpassed, but it's still damn good, even after all these years. Not sure if I'll go for a full 120 Stars in it or not, but I definitely intend to play it through to the end and collect quite a few.

Also, in Dragon Ball FighterZ, I've been playing some with the new DLC character, Super Baby 2. (Yes, seriously. Probably the dumbest name for a character in fighting game history. Blame Dragon Ball GT). And after most of a week of trying him, I think I've decided that while I find learning his combos in training mode fun, actually playing him probably isn't for me. He's got some cool stuff to be sure, but I cannot get a decent handle on how to use him in a real match, and some of his oddities mess me up at times. Still, in the process I've found a new team setup I'm liking, with Kelfa on point and Master Roshi in second, so I'm thinking I'll trade out Baby as my third for Cooler, who I already know I like and can fill a similar role to what I was using Baby for (beam C assist), and that ought to be a fun team to play for a while. And I still have to give the developers a lot of credit on Baby's playstyle - it might not be for me, but it's definitely unlike anyone else in the game, and as I said he does have some cool stuff. The season 3 DLC lineup has been great that way, honestly. I feel like they really hit a stride after the midpoint of season 2.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Avengers, sadly, just looked like a bad Marvel Ultimate Alliance knockoff where instead of getting to choose from a huge roster of Marvel characters (including some that are less well represented in games and media, like Deadpool was when the first game came out, and Iron Fist) you only get a few of the Avengers.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

And yes, I am well aware that many were disappointed by the ending of the trilogy. But for me it's more about the journey than the destination.
    The hate towards ME3 in general and the ending in specific is way overblown, propagated (like in so many cases) by a very vocal minority that has likely abondened the series long ago.

ME3 is an exceptional game, even on its own. Concering the endings: ME runs into the problem that other long-running narrative media about strong consequences for the setting with strong emotional involvement of the consumers. To find a satisfactory end (especially that is satisfactory for all) is very difficult. How can you both work towards big changes for the setting and have the experiences made during the journey (that where made on the basis of the status quo setting) not loose their meaning?

I think you have the right mind-set: don't play ME for the ending, play it for the journey.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

I genuinely wish I could have loved ME3, but there was something about it that never clicked with me back in the day. I think it was unlike the shift from ME1 to ME2, I cared about the cast of Me2; it was kind of the entire draw of the game. Having most of the cast get dumped from being companions because any of them could have died was kind of depressing (it doesn't help that I did not like any of the replacement companions).

Combined with the gameplay not really vibing with me in singleplayer...I logged 100+ hours on ME3 and almost every single moment was in the way-better-than-it-had-any-right-to-be multiplayer.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Combined with the gameplay not really vibing with me in singleplayer...I logged 100+ hours on ME3 and almost every single moment was in the way-better-than-it-had-any-right-to-be multiplayer.
    I still play the multiplayer when I need a few minutes of shooting things.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    The hate towards ME3 in general and the ending in specific is way overblown, propagated (like in so many cases) by a very vocal minority that has likely abondened the series long ago.

ME3 is an exceptional game, even on its own. Concering the endings: ME runs into the problem that other long-running narrative media about strong consequences for the setting with strong emotional involvement of the consumers. To find a satisfactory end (especially that is satisfactory for all) is very difficult. How can you both work towards big changes for the setting and have the experiences made during the journey (that where made on the basis of the status quo setting) not loose their meaning?

I think you have the right mind-set: don't play ME for the ending, play it for the journey.
    Without branching into spoilers, I played ME3 perhaps a year after it came out, and while I understood the furor, I thought the DLC "From the Ashes" and especially "Leviathan" did a much better job of providing the needed backstory to make the ending a lot more understandable. The backstory in "Leviathan" in particular has no excuse for not being in the main game.

In addition, the "Citadel" DLC, while not story critical, is probably one of the best full cast sendoffs I've played in a video game. Should be played after, or close to the end of ME3 for maximum effect.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    The backstory in "Leviathan" in particular has no excuse for not being in the main game.
    Oh, I actually have to disagree with that

Leviathan offers backstory and explanation for the Reapers. You have to ask yourself: do you want this? Or do you prefer the Reapers to remain enigmatic?
    It's important to make this decision before you start ME3 since once you've played the game with Leviathan you really can't go back.

Me, I kind of regret that I have played my scecond playthrough of the ME trilogy with Leviathan.

So, the current situation is actually ideal: with Leviathan being a DLC it lies in the control of the player.

I just didn't know what I was getting into

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Personally I am a bit disappointed in ME3's better endings requiring multiplayer activity or a second playthrough in its default state. It just doesn't feel like a single player story game should have that kind of requirement.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Personally I am a bit disappointed in ME3's better endings requiring multiplayer activity or a second playthrough in its default state. It just doesn't feel like a single player story game should have that kind of requirement.
    Uhh... huh? They don't?

What exactly are you refering to?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Uhh... huh? They don't?

I am pretty sure that if, for a reason or another, you don't have save data of what you've done on the two previous games (such as if you played the first two on Steam and the last one on Origin), the points you could get in a single playthrough of the third game would not be enough to get the best endings.

18. - Top - End - #288

Flumph

Oh, I actually have to disagree with that

Leviathan offers backstory and explanation for the Reapers. You have to ask yourself: do you want this? Or do you prefer the Reapers to remain enigmatic?
    It's important to make this decision before you start ME3 since once you've played the game with Leviathan you really can't go back.
    Here's my view, keeping in mind that it's been years since I played the ME games, so I might be a bit incorrect on the details and with the knowledge that this is 100% my opinion:

Spoiler: Spoilers for Mass Effect 3 ending, Leviathan and From Ashes
    Show
    What Leviathan does isn't so much explain what the Reapers are as much as to give you an idea of what they are trying to accomplish. When I played through ME3 it also gave me enough information about the Intelligence that when I met the Kid in the Citadel, I instantly knew what it was I was dealing with. It made the whole ending scene much more understandable, and I understand that was a hang-up for many people getting into the final act of ME3 who hadn't gone through Leviathan.

What From Ashes gives you is better insight into prior loops. Together, these not only made Shepard's conversation with the Intelligence at the end more meaningful, it also gave insight as to why this loop was different and why the Intelligence would even take the chance to allow Shepherd to break the cycle in the first place.

I assume we are in agreement on Citadel though?

Uhh... huh? They don't?

To get access to the 2nd and 3rd endings you need to reach military strength thresholds in game. Playing Multiplayer adds to this and makes it easier, but you don't have to do multiplayer to get all endings. You can also do the majority of side quests instead.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

To get access to the 2nd and 3rd endings you need to reach military strength thresholds in game. Playing Multiplayer adds to this and makes it easier, but you don't have to do multiplayer to get all endings. You can also do the majority of side quests instead.
    It's worth remembering that this wasn't originally true. It definitely used to be that you needed multiplayer to get the best endings, but they patched that.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

The required treshold was high enough that it got lowered in an update (IIRC, from 4k to 3k or so), and I do remember mentions that even the lowered value requires multiplayer or dlc, otherwise you'll fall short...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

21. - Top - End - #291

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    The required treshold was high enough that it got lowered in an update (IIRC, from 4k to 3k or so), and I do remember mentions that even the lowered value requires multiplayer or dlc, otherwise you'll fall short...
    Ah, fair enough. My bad. As I said I played ME3 about a year after it came out (and had the DLC), so that's probably why I never hit that issue on any of my playthroughs. I got offered all three endings in each of the three ME1-3 runs I made and I never touched multiplayer.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2021-01-21 at 12:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, despite being the 'golden' ending in several ways it felt like the worst one when I looked up what endings are available, You're forcing a transhuman state on everybody in the galaxy, but the state means diddly squat.

Oh, and I think you still need to play the multiplayer if you want the 'Shepherd survives Destroy' ending.

I'm also not a big fan of the fact that if you don't sidequest grind or play the MP you can easily be stuck with Refusal and whatever ending they decided to tie to your dominant morality.

Honestly I'd have preferred available endings to be based on how you solved the main missions, and then extra military strength would change them from 'barely surviving the Reaper invasion' to 'after two years it is a golden age of technology'. But, with Extended Cut, the ending isn't terrible. Just disappointing.

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no, looks like I revived an almost decade-old debate. Always lurking beneath the surface, like embers that can start a wildfire. Ah well...

Anyway, I'm quite content with playing the game for now and trying to avoid spoilers. I'm sure the ending won't bother me that much, as I've noticed I tend to be more tolerant of disappointing endings than most people. As Zombimode says, a satisfying ending to a long and high-stakes saga can be hard to write: it has to be meaningful and emotionally impactful, without being too neat and tidy or making the protag's efforts seem to have been in vain.

I'm playing as a Vanguard, and I love the Mass Effect combat system. It strikes the perfect balance between "one mistake and you're dead" and "your character is an unstoppable killing machine". Sometimes you get killed, but it doesn't mean that the enemy is too strong for you, merely that you have to be more careful or try out different tactics. And speaking of tactics, they enhance combat without making it overly complex.

I also much prefer this game's RPG format to other shooters' "mission-by-mission" format, because I like to accumulate fancy gear and customize my abilities.

The vehicle is a b*tch to drive, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The vehicle is a b*tch to drive, though.
    Welcome to the Mako, if you thought the series' ending was controversial, you have never seen the arguments this vehicle has caused.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I honestly don't know why people had issues with the Mako. I actually found it quite fun to bounce around in the thing, and it certainly contributed greatly toward a feeling of distance travelled that was arguably missing in ME2 and 3. It was certainly a lot more fun than that ruddy probe game from ME2, which felt like they'd decided to see what would happen if they nicked the Star Control 2 resource-gathering mechanic but removed all the fun parts...

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Only missing thing right now is the Imperials vs. Stormcloaks debate. Then we'll truly be back to 2012.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    IIRC the threshold originally was something like 7k and you could only get about 2/3 of the way to that without the "galactic readiness" multiplier that you only got for playing multiplayer (and decayed if you stopped playing the multiplayer).

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I honestly don't know why people had issues with the Mako. I actually found it quite fun to bounce around in the thing, and it certainly contributed greatly toward a feeling of distance travelled that was arguably missing in ME2 and 3. It was certainly a lot more fun than that ruddy probe game from ME2, which felt like they'd decided to see what would happen if they nicked the Star Control 2 resource-gathering mechanic but removed all the fun parts...
    The Mako wasn't the best vehicle I've ever controlled, but yeah the ME2 scanning minigame was bad. Only good thing about it was the special lines for probing King George. While I've only used it in one level made for it in a way that 90% of the Mako locations in the first game aren't, the Hammerhead handled at least a bit better and might have been fun to drive around a planet section looking for abandoned mining sites.

But honestly, at the end of the day I'd just drop additional resources to loot in most of the missions other anmy kind of 'hunting for resources' minigame, whether that be scanning or driving the Mako.

Anyway, on my first proper mission in SR:HK, looking for a serial killer. And calling it right now, it's a ghoul. Even if I didn't know about the ghoul companion already it's pretty clearly a HMHVV infectee, and ghouls are by far the most well known.

Just glad I talked to Ratcher so I didn't walk into this run with two Deckers.

Show

29. - Top - End - #299

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The Mako was a bit of a mess to control, but that was part of the charm, like climbing mountains on a Skyrim horse. I loved using it to scout enemy outposts in search of the perfect sniping spot, especially those Geth outposts in that one side quest. Finding all resources was quite a bit of a drag though, even while being in college and having the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Only missing thing right now is the Imperials vs. Stormcloaks debate. Then we'll truly be back to 2012.
    I doubt that'll happen, any long-time player these days knows that the Thalmor are the superior faction.

*ducks for cover*
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-01-21 at 04:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I really liked the Mako in terms of broadening the feel of the universe through playing the game. It let you do stuff outside of the core third person shooter gameplay. Which, since that's pretty much walking short distances between shooting small packs of dudes, is a good thing. Now you could have proper distance between locations, long range combat with heavy enemy units that the third person shooting didn't handle gracefully, and so forth.

It also made exploration of large areas possible. Sure, usually you didn't find anything interesting, but I kinda thought that was the point. In the pre-Ubification of maps, you could actually have a big empty space... because that planet was mostly empty space. Made exploration feel like exploration because often there wasn't anything. If there's always something to find I don't really feel like I'm exploring a space, I feel like I'm just vacuously vacuuming up rewards.

Sure the handling was not good, and the worlds could have stood to be more visually interesting, but the concept was solid. Andromeda fixed the handling problems, buy dropped vehicle combat, which just felt stupid. Like, why isn't there a gun on this damn thing? I'm getting shot at in it constantly, why can't I liquidate bad dudes from the comfort of my pimped out ride?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.