New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    By every account I've heard, 2 is way better than the first.
    Well, that is good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    And it's still crunchy in terms of mechanics, though without Vancian casting unless you choose an additional difficulty challenge.
    Again, I have no problem with heavy mechanics or ressource management (I love the IE games and Kingmaker!), just the very specific implemenation in PoE.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    So question then: should I even try PoE2? I mean it has turn-based combat so that might fix my issues with the gameplay.
    But if I could not care about stroy and characters in PoE1, will I be able to enjoy what PoE2 has to offer?
    Not caring about PoE 1's story is pretty relatable. While the writing on its own was good, its pacing, hooks, and antagonist are pretty poorly directed, leading all to a "What am I even doing here?" feeling all over from beginning to the end.

2 fixed that (in my opinion) pretty well. Not only that the setting is much more interesting, now your character is very firmly placed into the story with a clear task and a clear opposition. There are still plenty of side factions and powers that be to make it interesting, but the hooks are solid, and you can get invested into the story from day 1.

Also, protip: Put combat speed on x0.5, and keep it there.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2021-02-10 at 08:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, Tyranny ended up checking all the boxes I wanted Pillars of Eternity to tick off. I think I got lucky, picking it up during a sale while I was feeling charitable towards PoE: ended up being pleasantly surprised by how much more I enjoyed Tyranny.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

I found Pillars of Eternity to hit this weird sort of mechanical uncanny valley, where the systems were original enough to require some mental effort, but not original enough to make that effort feel interesting or worthwhile. Like I had to pay a lot of attention, but all I got for doing that was a sword dude who played about like the weird dude I could build on autopilot in another game.

The ungodly reams of writing didn't help. I don't particularly enjoy reading oodles of text one line at a time; it's like if somebody published one of the long Harry Potter books as one of those board books for babies with like two sentences per page. And the illustrations were just the same distant overhead of two dudes standing about five feet apart. It's not a good textual or visual presentation.

I'm gonna make my standard party RPG recommendation here of Drakensang the River of Time. It takes a very small bit of fiddling to run on Windows 10, but nothing more complicated than tweaking compatibility settings. The first Drakensang game is boring, but the second I find very charming. The stakes are unusually low for an RPG, the characters pleasant in an unobtrusive one dimensional sort of way, and I really love the visual presentation. The color palette is very rich, the lighting, although static, is vivid and evocative, and there's tons of wonderful little environmental details. The whole thing feels like a very sincere but appropriately low key adventure story, instead of a Big Serious Quest to Save the World.

It runs on the Dark Eye rules, which are very, very stat heavy, but in a good way. Its long on stats having lots of effects, and somewhat shorter on giving you tons of bells and whistles to pull on, edging it just a bit further into a simulationist feel than one usually gets in an RPG. One of my favorite things is that TDE uses combinations of multiple stats for just about everything, which very organically allows for characters to be at least reasonably good at a lot of different things.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Not caring about PoE 1's story is pretty relatable. While the writing on its own was good, its pacing, hooks, and antagonist are pretty poorly directed, leading all to a "What am I even doing here?" feeling all over from beginning to the end.

2 fixed that (in my opinion) pretty well. Not only that the setting is much more interesting, now your character is very firmly placed into the story with a clear task and a clear opposition. There are still plenty of side factions and powers that be to make it interesting, but the hooks are solid, and you can get invested into the story from day 1.

Also, protip: Put combat speed on x0.5, and keep it there.
    Again, that is good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    For me, Tyranny ended up checking all the boxes I wanted Pillars of Eternity to tick off. I think I got lucky, picking it up during a sale while I was feeling charitable
    towards PoE: ended up being pleasantly surprised by how much more I enjoyed Tyranny.
    Yeah, pretty much. Tyranny was excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I'm gonna make my standard party RPG recommendation here of Drakensang the River of Time. It takes a very small bit of fiddling to run on Windows 10, but nothing more complicated than tweaking compatibility settings. The first Drakensang game is boring, but the second I find very charming. The stakes are unusually low for an RPG, the characters pleasant in an unobtrusive one dimensional sort of way, and I really love the visual presentation. The color palette is very rich, the lighting, although static, is vivid and evocative, and there's tons of wonderful little environmental details. The whole thing feels like a very sincere but appropriately low key adventure story, instead of a Big Serious Quest to Save the World.

It runs on the Dark Eye rules, which are very, very stat heavy, but in a good way. Its long on stats having lots of effects, and somewhat shorter on giving you tons of bells and whistles to pull on, edging it just a bit further into a simulationist feel than one usually gets in an RPG. One of my favorite things is that TDE uses combinations of multiple stats for just about everything, which very organically allows for characters to be at least reasonably good at a lot of different things.

Yes, River of Time is all-arround very good. Underated, I would say.
    And although I wouldn't touch DSA OR Aventurien with a standard-issue 3 Meter Stange for my pen and paper role playing needs, I actually like both the rules and the the setting in video games
    Aventurien always feels a bit like home... probably beacuse it is so unmistakenly german

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I do have the Drakensang River of Time disc laying here. I should reinstal it. I don't know why I never finished it, as I did like Drakensang 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Yes, that's been working pretty well even just to get to some of the deeper escape pods.

I think my problem with the game is the lack of any guidance on how to progress it. Currently I have checked out all the known escape pods and fixed the damaged reactor. And there's not really any indication what I am trying to accomplish next.
    All I can think of is to aimlesly cruise around in my mini sub through the murky depths, hoping to randomly run into new debris or resources to make new construction options availabe. And with no map, it's really very random. I placed four beacons 750m North, East, West, and 500m South of my escape pod to have some general sense of direction but I still find it hard to explore with any kind of plan or system.
    Another thing is that I don't really know what I will gain if I be able to construct new things. With the mini-sub and radiation suit, I knew how they would be great addition to my equipment. But now I am waiting for something to happen to me. I am not working towards any goal that I want to make happen.

I think the game would probably be much more fun if I had a goal that I can try to work up to. "Unlock more rooms" isn't much of a motivation if I don't know what they can do for me.
    And with the seafloor having few distinguishing features it's hard to "uncover" the environment. I know there's a kelp forest down the cliff west of my base and a red grass plain beyond that. There's the giant shipwreck in the South and another red grass plain east of my base. And there are two islands. But beyond that everything blurs together. Kelp forests and red gras plains are all over the place and look identical. Unless I place a beacon, there is no way I could ever find anything more than 250m from my base again. Short visibility and effectively flying all the time don't help things either.

Playing the game is certainly engaging. There's always something to do for 5 more minutes, even if it's just popping out of the base and grabbing a few fish to cook and top off the hunger meter. But I think it could be a lot more fun with more clarity about what you are trying to accomplish. With peepers, boomerangs, and bladderfish in plentyful numbers right next ro my escape pod, my survival after being shipwrecked on an ocean planet is already secured. I don't need to make my life easier to improve my odds of survival.
    Scan yourself

8. - Top - End - #488
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Got quite into Daggerfall, although I've kind of inadvertently contracted lycanthropy without realising it (and by the time I *did* realise more than 3 in-game days had passed, so it's essentially incurable without a special quest now). Which is great in quite a few ways, since it gives me massive boosts to several attributes and skills, even while in human form. Apparently the downside is that I have to kill some peasant in a town every 15 days or else I start losing health, and of course I'm forced to turn wolf every full moon. Will have to see how this goes.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Getting back into Hitman. It's a game that I don't tend to play for long before moving onto another, but it's super satisfying when I do pull off one of the elaborate kills.

Still, it has its oddities. I walked up to a movie star's table that was laid out for a Q&A. While the security guard interrogated me about who I was I poisoned his drink in front of the guard and a dozen of the star's adoring fans. I legged it around a corner and swapped outfits. Suddenly everything is cool again, and nobody bothers to get the movie star a fresh drink. Then they act surprised when he keels over a few minutes later!

Object permanence must not be big in the Hitman universe, that's all I'm sayin'.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2021-02-10 at 04:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Yes, River of Time is all-arround very good. Underated, I would say.
    And although I wouldn't touch DSA OR Aventurien with a standard-issue 3 Meter Stange for my pen and paper role playing needs, I actually like both the rules and the the setting in video games
    Aventurien always feels a bit like home... probably beacuse it is so unmistakenly german
    I mean I grew up in the middle of the US, and River of Time still feels like home. I think it does a very good job of getting this sort of innocent, bucolic fantasy adventure feeling down. Like there's peril and excitement, but of course everything's gonna work out ok.

So if you've played that, you've unfortunately exhausted my immediate RPG recommendation store. Going slightly farther afield, the Spellforce games may be worth considering. Spellforce 1 is very, very skippable unless mind-searingly terrible voice acting is your jam, but 2 and 3 are good. Since they're by different devs like a decade plus apart, they're quite different. 2 is much campier in terms of art direction, but lets you actually play the game with a sort of Neverwinter Nights style control scheme when you're just running your hero around the map, which is awesome. 3 is straight up top down RPG with no zoom-in feature, but one doesn't end up super missing it in practice. The story is pretty decent for this sort of thing, not super long on player choice, but entertaining enough. And there's some top notch art design in some of the levels; honestly maybe the best looking top down RPG thing I've ever played. Both are hybrid RTS/RPGs, which means that the fantasy RPG thing where you recruit allies and gather the people and so on actually happens in the game instead of just adding one dude to your roster. There's a couple big battles in 2 in particular where you get to use this big multi-ethnic army you've recruited over multiple levels of questing which is very good. The RTS in 2 is pretty traditional, while 3 develops some potentially interesting ideas with territory control and supply lines.

(I also find it interesting how much better a job of hybridizing RTS and RPG Spellforce and sequels managed than pretty much anything else. Like it didn't just have hero units that leveled up, it actually is a fully functioning if slightly barebones RPG with companions and an inventory and skill trees and everything and also a complete multi-faction asymmetric RTS. Makes Warcraft 3 look pretty low ambition, really. Somehow the series is also about twelve zillion expansions long, has been running for 15+ years now, and absolutely nobody talks about it.)

11. - Top - End - #491
    Halfling in the Playground

Picked up all the banner saga games on the deal they had a week ago. Pretty good games all in all, and I'm glad that your choices actually have effects on your gameplay and tiny effects on story progression rather than some other choice games that really just provide the illusion of choice. Gotta resist the urge to look up the good choices though, have had a bad habit of that in past games I've played out of fear of missing out on the best playthrough. Combat is pretty good, though gets a bit frustrating when you have a guy whos too damaged to actually do anything anymore.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon Ball FighterZ: I ran the main team I was using for a while there up yet another rank (to Super Saiyan Rosé), and decided to take a break from ranked to try learning some new characters I've wanted to learn in casual matches. Started off with Trunks, but after just a few days with him, I decided against it. Mostly because, by and large, playing him at a basic level is the same as playing a lot of the typical Goku-style characters from the base roster, which just left him feeling like a less satisfying version of my preferred one of those, Goku Black. I know he gets some interesting mixup potential if you can figure out how to control his ex flip, but for now, I'm just not interested in getting that deep into him.

So I started trying to learn Cell instead, and I'm finding him more interesting. He has one of the more varied movesets of the base roster characters, but it quickly becomes clear where he excels (pressure and mixups) and where he sometimes needs a little help (combos and screen control). He's going to take some getting used to, but I think I can add him to my arsenal. Currently playing him with Kefla and Cooler, since they're two of the three characters from the team I was using and I'm thus in practice with them, but I'll try to build a team around Cell himself once I'm more comfortable with him.

And in searching for a single-player game to fill the time until Persona 5 Strikers launches, I actually landed on Starcraft 2 - because I never did finish the Protoss campaign back when that came out (don't remember why, think some other game ended up taking my attention away from it). Enjoying it, except for the load times. I don't know if it's my computer or the game itself, but good gods, the load times are horrible. I have actually pulled up youtube videos of fighting game matches to watch on my phone while I wait for missions to load and gotten a good five minutes into them before it finished. Just, wow.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2021-02-10 at 11:42 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I'm remembering why Zelda games aren't my favorite. Not so much of a fan of puzzles, or getting to the second to last boss (link to the past, SNES) and realizing that I'd missed a vital item way back before the first dungeon. Which means I'll have to go through the entire last dungeon again.

Plus obtuse controls, annoying enemies, and the utter lack of anything approaching a story. But that might just be that particular game in the series.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

14. - Top - End - #494

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Necrowolf View Post
    Picked up all the banner saga games on the deal they had a week ago. Pretty good games all in all, and I'm glad that your choices actually have effects on your gameplay and tiny effects on story progression rather than some other choice games that really just provide the illusion of choice. Gotta resist the urge to look up the good choices though, have had a bad habit of that in past games I've played out of fear of missing out on the best playthrough. Combat is pretty good, though gets a bit frustrating when you have a guy whos too damaged to actually do anything anymore.
    They are good, yes, although if you play all three back-to-back (as I did when the third game was eventually released) then I found the combat really started to outstay its welcome, even considering the tweaks to the formula that were made in the second and third games. If I'd played them on release rather than binging I think I'd have enjoyed the third game more, in particular.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I mean I grew up in the middle of the US, and River of Time still feels like home. I think it does a very good job of getting this sort of innocent, bucolic fantasy adventure feeling down. Like there's peril and excitement, but of course everything's gonna work out ok.

So if you've played that, you've unfortunately exhausted my immediate RPG recommendation store. Going slightly farther afield, the Spellforce games may be worth considering. Spellforce 1 is very, very skippable unless mind-searingly terrible voice acting is your jam, but 2 and 3 are good. Since they're by different devs like a decade plus apart, they're quite different. 2 is much campier in terms of art direction, but lets you actually play the game with a sort of Neverwinter Nights style control scheme when you're just running your hero around the map, which is awesome. 3 is straight up top down RPG with no zoom-in feature, but one doesn't end up super missing it in practice. The story is pretty decent for this sort of thing, not super long on player choice, but entertaining enough. And there's some top notch art design in some of the levels; honestly maybe the best looking top down RPG thing I've ever played. Both are hybrid RTS/RPGs, which means that the fantasy RPG thing where you recruit allies and gather the people and so on actually happens in the game instead of just adding one dude to your roster. There's a couple big battles in 2 in particular where you get to use this big multi-ethnic army you've recruited over multiple levels of questing which is very good. The RTS in 2 is pretty traditional, while 3 develops some potentially interesting ideas with territory control and supply lines.

(I also find it interesting how much better a job of hybridizing RTS and RPG Spellforce and sequels managed than pretty much anything else. Like it didn't just have hero units that leveled up, it actually is a fully functioning if slightly barebones RPG with companions and an inventory and skill trees and everything and also a complete multi-faction asymmetric RTS. Makes Warcraft 3 look pretty low ambition, really. Somehow the series is also about twelve zillion expansions long, has been running for 15+ years now, and absolutely nobody talks about it.)
    Whoa. Another person that knows about Spellforce! It is my favourite RTS series and is pretty good.

I do remember the Spellforce 1 story being pretty interesting, but I was in high school back then so who knows.

Spellforce 2 was campy and cliche, but as result has aged pretty well.

Spellforce 3 is more grimmer and 'realistic', but works well. The first expansion diversifies the 3 original factions a bit more, which I am always a fan of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I'm remembering why Zelda games aren't my favorite. Not so much of a fan of puzzles, or getting to the second to last boss (link to the past, SNES) and realizing that I'd missed a vital item way back before the first dungeon. Which means I'll have to go through the entire last dungeon again.

Plus obtuse controls, annoying enemies, and the utter lack of anything approaching a story. But that might just be that particular game in the series.
    Out of curiousity, which item did you miss? If you're on Agahnim 2 there should be very few items you require. Agahnim himself can be beaten with only the sword. Ganon requires sword, bow, and either the lantern or the fire rod. And technically not even all those. Sword and lantern are basically impossible to miss, and Bow is in the first dungeon (and is required to beat it, I think).

What did you miss extremely early that you managed to complete the rest of the game without using it?

Edit: Wait, I got it. You're on the third to last boss, and are missing the Ice Rod.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2021-02-11 at 04:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Makes Warcraft 3 look pretty low ambition, really. Somehow the series is also about twelve zillion expansions long, has been running for 15+ years now, and absolutely nobody talks about it.)
    I tried its last expansion recently, and found that it has unnecessarily good writing and VA for its kind. Better than most RPGs, really.

Weirdly enough though, really didn't like the visual style and UI enough to stick with it. Every building and unit was the same muted brown-green color, so I kept mixing this building with that, this unit with that; fought a lot of ant-like scribblings, which, if you zoom enough, turn out to be fully humanoid fighters, etc.

I mean, Warcraft 3 got a lot of flak in its time for its cartoon-ish graphics, but at least you could tell between two units in a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Getting back into Hitman. It's a game that I don't tend to play for long before moving onto another, but it's super satisfying when I do pull off one of the elaborate kills.

Still, it has its oddities. I walked up to a movie star's table that was laid out for a Q&A. While the security guard interrogated me about who I was I poisoned his drink in front of the guard and a dozen of the star's adoring fans. I legged it around a corner and swapped outfits. Suddenly everything is cool again, and nobody bothers to get the movie star a fresh drink. Then they act surprised when he keels over a few minutes later!

Object permanence must not be big in the Hitman universe, that's all I'm sayin'.
    Eh, Hitman likes to err on the side of the player in some cases. Which helps, because it's really easy to mess up a run otherwise.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Out of curiousity, which item did you miss? If you're on Agahnim 2 there should be very few items you require. Agahnim himself can be beaten with only the sword. Ganon requires sword, bow, and either the lantern or the fire rod. And technically not even all those. Sword and lantern are basically impossible to miss, and Bow is in the first dungeon (and is required to beat it, I think).

What did you miss extremely early that you managed to complete the rest of the game without using it?

Edit: Wait, I got it. You're on the third to last boss, and are missing the Ice Rod.
    Yeah. I had the bosses wrong.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

I tried its last expansion recently, and found that it has unnecessarily good writing and VA for its kind. Better than most RPGs, really.

Weirdly enough though, really didn't like the visual style and UI enough to stick with it. Every building and unit was the same muted brown-green color, so I kept mixing this building with that, this unit with that; fought a lot of ant-like scribblings, which, if you zoom enough, turn out to be fully humanoid fighters, etc.

I mean, Warcraft 3 got a lot of flak in its time for its cartoon-ish graphics, but at least you could tell between two units in a snap.
    That's Fallen God, the troll expansion, right? It definitely is a bit hard to read visually, probably in no small part because it leans really hard into the standard fantasy troll aesthetic. Base Spellforce 3 is a lot more readable, since its built around humans, elves, and orcs, who with a long history of being fantasy protagonists have a much more varied set of designs.

Spellforces 1 and particularly 2 are much more stylized. It's a different style than Warcraft 3 (more high fantasy exaggerated than overtly cartoony), but they're hardly going for realism. Probably a good move, given the polygon budgets of the early 2000s.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    They are good, yes, although if you play all three back-to-back (as I did when the third game was eventually released) then I found the combat really started to outstay its welcome, even considering the tweaks to the formula that were made in the second and third games. If I'd played them on release rather than binging I think I'd have enjoyed the third game more, in particular.
    Makes sense. The combat system is a good base but seems to be lacking options as every character really only has 2 options for their turn, hit one of the different colored health bars or use a special move. I was hoping it would get more detailed and fleshed out as the games went on but with your comment these hopes are a bit dampened. Its fine though, there are a lot of games coming out in spring that I want to play, so by the time I finish 1 and 2 there should be a couple of other games I can use to take a breather from the banner saga. SMT V looks pretty hype, along with the Inscryption game coming to steam.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Necrowolf View Post
    I loved Banner Saga 1 and 2, but they are so unrelentingly bleak that I've had the third game sitting unplayed on my computer since it came out. I just don't know if I have the strength to watch all those people I'm defending die off again.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eh, Hitman likes to err on the side of the player in some cases. Which helps, because it's really easy to mess up a run otherwise.
    And sometimes, the game hands you a kill on a silver platter. Like when I rounded a corner and found the target alone on a balcony and practically had a genuine accident tripping over him and sending him off the edge. Easiest. Kill. Ever.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I loved Banner Saga 1 and 2, but they are so unrelentingly bleak that I've had the third game sitting unplayed on my computer since it came out. I just don't know if I have the strength to watch all those people I'm defending die off again.
    Yeah. I don't think they give even the illusion of choice. Everyone dies. You'll always be wrong no matter what you pick. Doesn't really matter what you do, it's just a very limited control over who dies/ when outside the main 2.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2021-02-11 at 10:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Also not a big fan of the banner saga. I like my choices to have consequences, but a lot of the ones in Banner saga just felt completely arbitrary.

I also agree it's too bleak.. If I do something dumb I don't mind to pay the price, but having characters die based on completely arbitrary things you couldn't possibly predict without a guide is lame.

Also, the combat system wasn't fun for me. That might just be personal preference, but I found chipping away at enemy armors until you could finally do damage more frustrating than anything.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-02-12 at 12:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Scan yourself
    Subnautica really opened up when I tried to climb into my Seamoth from just the right angle to open the Upgrades Compartment instead. (Again, it would have been really helpful to have an inndication you can do this.) I already had almost everything to get the better depth upgrades, so my diving depth increased from 150m to 900m over about 2 hours and got a storage compartment. Now we're going places!

Spoiler
    Show
    Found the underwater alien lab with info about the bacterium infection and met the purple hydralisks. And a giant dragon skeleton. And a giant blue glowing tree with swarms of jellyfish rays, and nearby a deep hole that goes way below 1000m!
    And there's a Cthulhu down there!

One time I found a really big abandoned habitat but was running low on water and had a full inventory and had to head straight home. Also was out of beacons and couldn't mark it, and have not been able to find the cave again since then.
    I think it was in a cave with a brine river, but not even sure about that.

That storage compartment is also really critical. Always have it stocked with a fully charged power cell and battery, two bottles of water, a nutrient bar, and two beacons.
    When your Seamoth runs out of juice in a cave at 800m depth, there is no way you ever come back up.

Apparently, many other people got the Moonpool plans within 3 hours of playing instead of 30. I can totally see how having the Upgrade console for vehicles that early completely changes the overall game. Also took me some 15 hours to build a seamoth, which apparently isn't normal either.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #506

BlackDragon

When your Seamoth runs out of juice in a cave at 800m depth, there is no way you ever come back up.
    You realise it tells you right there on the HUD how much charge you have left, right? Going into a closed cave system on low charge ain't the best option even if you do have spares with you!

27. - Top - End - #507
    Banned

Subnautica really opened up when I tried to climb into my Seamoth from just the right angle to open the Upgrades Compartment instead. (Again, it would have been really helpful to have an inndication you can do this.) I already had almost everything to get the better depth upgrades, so my diving depth increased from 150m to 900m over about 2 hours and got a storage compartment. Now we're going places!

Spoiler
    Show
    Found the underwater alien lab with info about the bacterium infection and met the purple hydralisks. And a giant dragon skeleton. And a giant blue glowing tree with swarms of jellyfish rays, and nearby a deep hole that goes way below 1000m!
    And there's a Cthulhu down there!

One time I found a really big abandoned habitat but was running low on water and had a full inventory and had to head straight home. Also was out of beacons and couldn't mark it, and have not been able to find the cave again since then.
    I think it was in a cave with a brine river, but not even sure about that.

That storage compartment is also really critical. Always have it stocked with a fully charged power cell and battery, two bottles of water, a nutrient bar, and two beacons.

Apparently, many other people got the Moonpool plans within 3 hours of playing instead of 30. I can totally see how having the Upgrade console for vehicles that early completely changes the overall game. Also took me some 15 hours to build a seamoth, which apparently isn't normal either.
    It took me a similar amount of time to do things on my first playthrough. Obviously you can go much faster if you know what you're looking for from asking for help or using the wiki, but I think the game loses a lot of it's magic if you do that. It's at its best when you're just exploring with no real idea what to expect around the next corner. Of course that only applies if you don't get completely stuck.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You realise it tells you right there on the HUD how much charge you have left, right? Going into a closed cave system on low charge ain't the best option even if you do have spares with you!
    Power cells last for a very long time. 50% power can seem like it will be good for ages, especially when you spend a lot of time swimming around while having the Seamoth parked nearby. It's easy to forget checking the power gauge regularly. And my deep cave dives can go for hours. I'm not doing that without a spare power cell in the trunk.

Now to EMP-Octopuses destroyed my Seamoth while I was exploring a ruined habitat. I thought it would be safe while I was not in it.

Took me almost two hours to construct a replacement with all the upgrade modules.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I built a thermally powered base near the hole solely as a recharge point. It also worked quite well as a scanning hub to the point I'd always recommend having a base down there.

I did once get teleported out of my moth and killed so made a basic new one then had to race to the old one before I ran out of O2. That wasnt as fun.

30. - Top - End - #510

BlackDragon

Now to EMP-Octopuses destroyed my Seamoth while I was exploring a ruined habitat. I thought it would be safe while I was not in it.
    I have literally never had that happen? I didn't even think those guys *could* damage vehicles, I thought their only attack was the "Teleport you out of the cockpit and laugh while you drown" thing...