New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you hover over the energy meter at the top left it will tell you exactly what your sources of energy income are and what's using it all up? What do those numbers show? Although, TBH, to have let it get to the state where you're losing 900 a month is pretty darned bad--it'll be hard to recover from that position, and just selling stuff to the market to make up the shortfall isn't a viable long-term strategy.
    I dunno, it kept jumping around between hundreds of energy credits being lost, up to gaining energy credits in either 70 or a hundred gained, and such, but I was fighting a war with a weaker nation to try and expand my territory and thats what I got after winning, my fleet size is real big but half of it is tied up in protecting my western border which y'know, borders the reawakened empire now? it used to be bordered by the Tendrakkians who would declare war every time I tried to go for the supremacy diplomacy policy and beat me up, so I went belligerent policy instead to get around that so I can with smaller nations to gain power, hoping that I could one day be strong enough to one day face my rival empires with supremacy policy but now.....no longer viable it seems. though I also have like five habitats, including the two I conquered from another nation and they seem to be energy guzzlers for some reason and I don't know why they'd make them that way, its stupid, how am I supposed to gain more power without making habs or conquering more systems when the borders are all filled by other nations? going to war seems incredibly costly on the resources, while the habs eat up energy like crazy.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Make sure your decisions are policies or whatever they are called are set up right they can make or break your economy.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alteiner View Post
    Outside of that, I'm checking off the last few boxes I need filled in Monster Hunter World before Rise comes out. As much as I like the quality-of-life stuff in World, I'm not going to miss tenderizing with the Clutch Claw or how World's armor skill system created an environment where there was unambiguous "best at all times and in almost all situations" armor like Drachen in High Rank and Fatalis in Master Rank. It makes for a really unhealthy game environment when most of people playing at your rank use the exact same armor as you.
    To be fair, Fatalis is extremely end-game. In fact, isn't he the very last monster you encounter? You get Safi'jiva after beating the main game, then you're meant to go after Alatreon, and then Fatalis is after that.

Without a bigger stable of post-post-endgame monsters everyone will inevitably wind up in the same gear. And you don't have to look the same - that's what layered armor is for.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I was fighting a war with a weaker nation to try and expand my territory and thats what I got after winning, my fleet size is real big but half of it is tied up in protecting my western border which y'know, borders the reawakened empire now?
    OK, couple of things occur:

1) All the planets you won from that weaker empire are going to suck, and suck hard, for a while. The people will be unhappy and rebellious, and the AI has probably made...questionable decisions when building them out. You need to do what you can you reduce unrest and get those planets productive again.

2) Where is that fleet that's tied up on your western border? Is it docked at a space station with Crew Quarters? Because that 25% reduction in fleet costs for doing that is pretty significant when you have big fleets.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Last night I played Embr with some friends during Steam’s free weekend. Oh man is it fun! Billing itself as “Uber for firefighters”, you play an untrained but enthusiastic gig economy worker who tries to save people from burning buildings... and if there’s enough time, you’ll rescue their stuff too. Of course, you can “misplace” their stuff into the back of your car instead.
    The game is still in very early access and it’s only really fun with friends, but wow is it fun. Last night we were throwing explosive barrels from the rooftop to our eager but butterfingered friends below. Accidentally axing clients as we tried to rescue them. Redirecting poisonous gas into other parts of the house and gassing teammates by mistake. Chopping through interior walls so we can steal their tv. Good times.
    It’s extremely goofy and cartoonish but underneath that is a subtle yet scathing indictment of the gig economy. I definitely recommend and I can’t wait for it to be finished.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I also find, as a general point in 4x games, that it's worth going through the military after a war. I'm usually over built, and will have out of date or otherwise feeble units it isn't worth maintaining.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #67

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I also find, as a general point in 4x games, that it's worth going through the military after a war. I'm usually over built, and will have out of date or otherwise feeble units it isn't worth maintaining.
    In the case of Stellaris you can just upgrade any out-of-date unit to whatever the current best is, so that's less of an issue--unless he's running over his fleet cap, of course, which is always possible.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I'm not sure what this "after a war" thing is you're referring to in a 4x game. You mean when everyone else is dead and I'm staring at the victory screen?

Even when I set out to be peaceful, the AI never lets you once you reach a certain threshold of power. It's pointless to not maintain an army because you always need one. I've never played a 4x game where that wasn't true...although granted I couldn't really get into Stellaris. It was too much of a spreadsheet simulator for me.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm not sure what this "after a war" thing is you're referring to in a 4x game. You mean when everyone else is dead and I'm staring at the victory screen?

Even when I set out to be peaceful, the AI never lets you once you reach a certain threshold of power. It's pointless to not maintain an army because you always need one. I've never played a 4x game where that wasn't true...although granted I couldn't really get into Stellaris. It was too much of a spreadsheet simulator for me.
    Well the thing is with Stellaris, you need to do this whole thing where you claim a system first before you conquer anything, and any given war you have war exhaustion which measure how much your nation is tired of fighting and if your war exhaustion reaches 100% first, they can dictate terms of the wars end, so you have have specific goals in mind for each war, accomplish them then basically fight until you can go back to peace on your own terms then you can't fight again for like ten years. so fighting a single nation can be a bit of a back and forth between short eras of peace and conquering it in chunks, while slowly claiming systems you plan to conquer in the future because a single claim costs influence.

I'd love something like Stellaris but with more strategical/tactical warfare than just smashing fleets together but I don't know any, and if I wanted medieval stuff I'd just go play Age of Empires 2.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Finished Wasteland 3. Really a high quality game, though the combat-dialogue balance could be better (at the beginning you will talk for hours with little fighting, and in the end you will fight for hours with little dialogue). Couldn't get the golden ending, but I still got a pretty good outcome for most things. Definitely a thumbs up for fans of the genre.

Now I'm playing a few short storygames I had my backlog. Currently going through Gris, which is... really a work of art. Seriously, the art and sound direction for this game are wonderful. I had pretty high expectations, but I'm still impressed.

Also, apparently Genital Jousting - a game about penises fighting each other - has a pretty sweet story mode too. After all, what better main character for a story about toxic masculinity than an actual, literal penis? I don't think I will ever play the actual, multiplayer game, but the story was worth the 3€ I spent on it (picked it up during some sale).

Meanwhile, I'm also playing Spyro: Reignited Trilogy. It's... fun, though not even remotely as fun as the Crash Bandicoot remake was for me. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the remakes, Crash is just more of my kind of game.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love something like Stellaris but with more strategical/tactical warfare than just smashing fleets together but I don't know any, and if I wanted medieval stuff I'd just go play Age of Empires 2.
    In terms of ship-to-ship combat the gold standard is still Sword of the Stars.

Stellaris is - now - pretty much the best at everything APART from starship combat.

I have still not found anything better than those, despite searching and trying.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-12-06 at 06:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

I played Stellaris on a friend's computer over a weekend once, it was certainly more approachable than a lot of 4X stuff I've tried and I was enjoying it until I actually got into combat with another galactic power rather than random pirates. I thought I was doing quite well -- my economy was booming, my sphere of influence was quite large thanks to active colonization efforts, and I was doing well with the tech trees. Then I fought a force which had less ships than my own and wasn't especially advanced technologically, yet that AI fleet utterly crushed me.

I, having played Computer Games™ before, assumed you'd need a mix of forces and with them covering for one another's weaknesses I'd merely need to stay on top of the upgrades and I'd be in a strong tactical position.

Apparently you're just supposed to just spam lame-ass corvettes? Who knew.

Anyways, I've since determined I'd much prefer either dedicated tactical games or just combat-less Sim games.

13. - Top - End - #73

OldWizardGuy

I dunno, it kept jumping around between hundreds of energy credits being lost, up to gaining energy credits in either 70 or a hundred gained, and such, but I was fighting a war with a weaker nation to try and expand my territory and thats what I got after winning, my fleet size is real big but half of it is tied up in protecting my western border which y'know, borders the reawakened empire now? it used to be bordered by the Tendrakkians who would declare war every time I tried to go for the supremacy diplomacy policy and beat me up, so I went belligerent policy instead to get around that so I can with smaller nations to gain power, hoping that I could one day be strong enough to one day face my rival empires with supremacy policy but now.....no longer viable it seems. though I also have like five habitats, including the two I conquered from another nation and they seem to be energy guzzlers for some reason and I don't know why they'd make them that way, its stupid, how am I supposed to gain more power without making habs or conquering more systems when the borders are all filled by other nations? going to war seems incredibly costly on the resources, while the habs eat up energy like crazy.
    I've noticed that when you are occupying enemy systems, you seem to get all the energy and minerals from their mining stations but not pay Sprawl penalties (and maybe not upkeep?) which gives you a real 'sugar high' until the war is over, at which point you can definitely crash.

Random Thoughts:
    1. Make sure fleets are docked at stations with Crew Quarters, as mentioned above.
    2. Set trade to just generate energy (in policies)
    3. Having negative credits is OK if you have large surpluses in other areas. Make monthly trades to balance. In most games, my 'real' energy balance is several hundred negative but I have standing mineral trades and a few 'advanced' resource trades that balance it out.
    4. If you are getting sprawl penalties, try to build bureaucratic centers to bring the sprawl penalties down.
    5. Similarly, if you are getting over-fleet or over-starbase penalties, scuttle some fleets / starbases (or, for fleet, build more anchorages). I usually end up with over-starbase-limit penalties after winning a war.
    6. If you have planets with far more jobs than people, they tend not to work the lower-tier resource production jobs, which can leave you with little energy / food / mineral income. (Plus, buildings with no workers are just an upkeep drain.) Unfortunately, once you've overbuilt, it's hard to reverse; people will happily move up a tier, but will prefer to be unemployed for a few years before being willing to take jobs 'beneath them', so dismantling buildings just leaves you with a bunch of unemployed people. Just make sure you aren't building many buildings until you have lots of generator districts.
    7. Obvious but worth checking: Make sure all planets have a governor. Make sure all systems have all possible mining stations built.
    8. I believe habitats don't usually have districts to produce energy, ya, unless they are around a planet that can get an energy mining station.
    9. Go over the AI planets and fix the AI's mistakes if possible, as mentioned above. In particular, the AI doesn't always build the "+15%" building on worlds with lots of generators.

Don't know if any of that helps, though.
    Last edited by Sermil; 2020-12-07 at 01:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Apparently you're just supposed to just spam lame-ass corvettes? Who knew.
    That doesn't actually work so well anymore--they rebalanced it so the "basic corvette swarm" isn't king in all circumstances anymore. The main issue you tend to have is that different weapons have different effectiveness against shields, armour and hull, so if you use one type of weapon exclusively you'll be weak against someone using defences that weapon is weak against.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

I finished Tales of Berseria and cried about the ending. Very good game, with a cast of characters that was top notch, and especially for a series that already is emblematic for having endearing characters. The spanner into the previous Tales formula took a bit to get into, and apparently even on Intense Velvet isn't that fun to play since she kind of more or less plays herself (according to my friend who played p1), but I had a lot of fun maining Laphicet and Eizen.

And then we got into Zestiria. Last thread I was told it was the best co-op experience of all, and conceptually I'd agree that it's good after the slow beginning, but it has a really, really terrible camera. It goes all over the place; occasionally it pans in such a way that I don't know what I'm doing. The artes system is also a weird hybrid of Vesperia and Berseria, which makes it a lot more buttonmashy, at least so far. It's still playable and enjoyable, though. It's likely to be my least favourite title overall, but that doesn't make it bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Creeper World 4 came out.

There goes my sleep and time.

If you've not heard of the series, it's kind of like a tower defence, but instead of enemies moving along a track you're fighting against the Creeper, an implacable purple goo that gradually fills up the map. Flowing and pooling like a liquid, building up behind obstacles and eventually overflowing and blowing up all your stuff.

Meanwhile you have to build collector towers to cover as much map as possible yourself to generate energy, and turrets of various flavours to push back the Creeper and protect yourself from the growing array of nasty stuff that drops it in interesting ways and places. Eventually reaching and sealing the points it is entering the map.

CW4 is the first actually 3D game in the series, despite the fact that height maps have been key to the game all along, it's not graphically taxing (as it's a one man project) but it does add a lot to the presence and readability of the goo.

17. - Top - End - #77

Kind of a bit stuck on Outer Wilds. I have a general feeling that I've been on most planets and found a lot of secret locations and written text, but don't really have an idea on where else to go now. Maybe I'll open a walkthrough at some point.

In the meantime, I got Hades, Frostpunk and Heat Signature on the last steam sale, all of which are fun.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Since a thread just for news like this probably won't have enough to comment on, I'll throw it in here. Persona fans, Persona 5 Strikers finally has an international release announced. It's coming to Switch, PS4, and, somewhat surprisingly, Steam, on February 23rd next year. Took them a good year since it released in Japan for some reason (maybe that Steam version had something to do with it?), but it's finally coming pretty soon, and unlike PQ2 it has the English voice actors. Something to look forward to, for sure.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Kind of a bit stuck on Outer Wilds. I have a general feeling that I've been on most planets and found a lot of secret locations and written text, but don't really have an idea on where else to go now. Maybe I'll open a walkthrough at some point.

In the meantime, I got Hades, Frostpunk and Heat Signature on the last steam sale, all of which are fun.
    Regarding Outer Wilds, do you know the secret of the Ash Twin Towers? And have you explored Twisted Bramble all the way? (I'm trying to point you at the end game without spoilers).

20. - Top - End - #80

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    In your spaceship, your log is pretty much the only thing that carries over after resets, and it tells you which planets you have left to fully explore and offers hints about where to go next. NRSASD's suggestions are also good ones.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-12-08 at 10:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

2020 was certainly a weird year. All the stuff that happened and still was great for me, as I managed to upgrade into a more decent laptop (my 10 year old use laptop finally got some rest), and this new one was great, so I started playing GTA V, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Age of Empires II Definitive Edition, Assassin's Creed III, League of Legends, and other stuff still that I swap to play from time to time.

Most notably, I got Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and I'm really into that game, before I knew it I was already 30 hours in! I was excited because I got a pro-controller for sale and got out of drift-hell.

I just love it, and recommend it~

Edit: Also, I went nuts on the steam sale, and got a couple of the games up there, along with Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid V, Fate/Extella, and a great deal of Star Wars games, Battlefront 2 (2005), both KotOR games, Galactic Battlegrounds, even Republic Commando!
    Last edited by Yael; 2020-12-09 at 12:02 AM.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Took them a good year since it released in Japan for some reason (maybe that Steam version had something to do with it?), but it's finally coming pretty soon, and unlike PQ2 it has the English voice actors. Something to look forward to, for sure.
    A year between the Japanese and Western release isn't at all surprising--it was about that between the original Japanese release of Persona 5 and the Western one, and even P5 Royal had a six month gap between Japanese and Western releases.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    A year between the Japanese and Western release isn't at all surprising--it was about that between the original Japanese release of Persona 5 and the Western one, and even P5 Royal had a six month gap between Japanese and Western releases.
    In the past I'd have agreed, but that's becoming less and less common these days, at least for major Japanese companies. And while Atlus may not qualify for that on their own, they are owned by Sega, who certainly do. And this is just a Dynasty Warriors-style spinoff, too, not a full-fledged 100+ hour RPG that'll present innumerable localization challenges. Hell, Nintendo just in the past year or so did simultaneous worldwide releases both for their own such spin-off (the new Hyrule Warriors) and a massive RPG (Fire Emblem: Three Houses).

By contrast, this is far longer than even the larger Persona games typically take in between Japanese and international releases. Looking at the dates on that for games since Persona 4, almost all of them are only around a 5 month difference. The longest difference is Persona 5 (original, not Royal) at 6.5 months and the shortest is Persona 4 Golden at only 4 months. More than double that average for a game that you'd think should be easier to do the localization for is definitely odd. And it's frustrating that for most of that time they didn't even confirm that the localization would happen at all, so we were left wondering what was going on until just now, a couple of months before it'll release.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that was the end of Longest Journey. Pretty good, overall. I didn' have to use a walkthrough much, just occasionally (and almost always as usual because I'd missed a tag or something somewhere).

Wiki tells me there appear to be a couple of sequels follow ups... Anyone know what they're like?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Wrapped up my re-run of Icewind Dale 2. Overall, fun game to revisit, though not nearly as much as others I did this year. I'd forgotten about the unsatisfying ending, where the magic of the villains' lair just goes crazy before you can finish of one of them and you run away as it shunts them and the entire lair itself into another plane. I will never understand why writers and/or game designers do endings like that. Beyond that and the annoying inventory system (and metric ton of items that get thrown at you that force you to use it constantly), though, it's a solid D&D game.

Now I need to think of something else to play that won't take so long, since I expect I'll have some new games to sink my teeth into after Christmas. Hm...

26. - Top - End - #86

I decided to fall to the mainstream side for once, and bought Cyberpunk 2077 on day one (I won't have much time to play it right now, but maybe I'll create a disposable character for the first disposable playthrough that I always do in such games, and abandon a few hours in, after I understood how I want my actual playthrough to start).

I never cared about the hype (I actually believe the concept of "hype" is the worst thing that happened to the entertainment industry in the last decades), but I read a few reviews. Some adore the game, others are mildly disappointed, but they all agree on the fact that, compared to Witcher 3, this game is a bit less large and a bit more focused. Which is exactly what I was hoping, so let's give it a chance.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2020-12-10 at 03:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Banned

Supposedly Cyberpunk is incredibly buggy right now. I'll probably play it whenever they actually finish the game.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Supposedly Cyberpunk is incredibly buggy right now. I'll probably play it whenever they actually finish the game.
    From my...Steam says 7 hours but I left it paused for a while a few times, so we'll say 5 hours, "incredibly buggy" seems like it comes from extraordinarily nitpicky people. I've comes across some minor bugs; texture pop-in, a bit of weirdness with traversing some odd terrain (a window I could jump through on one side but had a hard time jumping through the other way), and one occasion where the music cut out until I restarted, but nothing that's truly experience breaking.

All bugs I'd categorize as immersion breaking or mild annoyances rather than anything people should actually care about. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is "incredibly buggy". Cyberpunk doesn't really fit that bill.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    From my...Steam says 7 hours but I left it paused for a while a few times, so we'll say 5 hours, "incredibly buggy" seems like it comes from extraordinarily nitpicky people. I've comes across some minor bugs; texture pop-in, a bit of weirdness with traversing some odd terrain (a window I could jump through on one side but had a hard time jumping through the other way), and one occasion where the music cut out until I restarted, but nothing that's truly experience breaking.

All bugs I'd categorize as immersion breaking or mild annoyances rather than anything people should actually care about. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is "incredibly buggy". Cyberpunk doesn't really fit that bill.
    Well, it sounds like you've found at least 3 bugs in 5 hours, which I'd personally consider to be pretty bad for a AAA title that isn't Bethesda or Obsidian. Also, immersion breaking is a pretty big deal for me in a game designed to immerse you in the plot/world. It's especially concerning considering how many times they delayed the game with the promises of delivering a polished product when it finally came out.

So yeah, I'm sure the game is perfectly enjoyable if you're willing to overlook the flaws. I'd rather wait a bit and actually have a polished experience though.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to give a hard pass on Cyberpunk, I think. I was very much on the fence already as it was going to be more of a shooter (and I'm not really very interested in the genera, to be perfectly honest), but the stuff involving crunch CDPR has done over it were enough to push it off my list. Gotta take a stand at some point, there's no point wagging a finger at the crap big business are getting away with and then giving them money anyway. (I mean, I have entirely stopped playing anything from EA, Ubisoft, Actiblizz et al quite a while ago (C&C remaster is the only thing that has even vaguely tempted me) and I've not been short of games to play from businesses that, y'know, aren't doing that sort of crap.) I cannot change the world (and believe me humans, when I am in position to do so you will fracking KNOW about it); I can, at the moment, only change from my little bit of it.

(But even if I WAS still interested in getting it, it wouldn't have been for a year or two ANYWAY. I do not play games on release now, pretty much period, and I'll only buy on release if I happen to get a (good) deal or I've already kickstarted it and even that doesn't affect when I actually play it.)