New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Trying to speed-run murder to get Strong's affinity to maximum in FO4. Just, bop around the Capitol Wasteland
    You have the Capital Wasteland in your FO4? Must be pretty heavily modded, then, unless you actually meant the Commonwealth there...

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You have the Capital Wasteland in your FO4? Must be pretty heavily modded, then, unless you actually meant the Commonwealth there...
    Meh. Boston is the capitol of Massachussetts, I'll let it stand.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Trying to speed-run murder to get Strong's affinity to maximum in FO4. Just, bop around the Capitol Wasteland, killing as many Super Mutants, Ghouls, and Raiders as I can. I then send him to Coastal Cottage, which is important to nothing, and let him live out his life in peace on the farm.
    Why would you send Strong to the Preston Garvey Quarantine Zone?

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

A week into Winter in Stardew Valley sheet having married Maru, and it's all about automating the farm and unlocking sheep so I can get some cloth and unlock the ability to make myself a change of clothes. I've got eight Quality Sprinklers set up and if my iron raids on the mine bring in enough quartz I'll have twelve by the start of Spring, giving me a whole season to make enough money to fill the plots with hops and spend the summer as a brewery. With any luck I'll get a large enough crop to last me for at least autumn 2 as well.

I've now got an entire shed for artisan goods production pumping out cheese, mayonnaise, preserves, and ale. From spring I should never have to sell another unprocessed crop.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground

I'm nearing the end of that Rome 2: Total War campaign, and honestly, I probably should've turned the difficulty up above normal. Because ever since finishing those early wars to the north of my starting position, I've just been kind of steamrolling. The only battles I've lost have been because of moments where I can't defend all of my territories at once, so an enemy army swoops in and briefly takes a city from me by beating its garrison - only to lose it next turn anyway as I send an army to retake it. I've now conquered effectively the entire Middle East, and for the endgame I'm betraying my longtime allies in Turkey: Pontus, the Seleucids, Pergammon, and... one more whose name I can never remember, it's the smallest and weakest of the four. They all wound up with mutual defensive alliances with each other and me pretty early in the game, which have lasted until now, when I realized Pergammon was sitting on the last territory I needed for my win condition. Still, the four of them are a bigger threat than the other nations I've been mopping the floor with, and I'm still embroiled in other wars on my borders since diplomatic penalties from my Imperium level means everyone else hates me now, so it's an appropriate climax I suppose.

But it's being set aside for a few days here, because Guilty Gear Strive is having its second (and final) open beta this weekend! So I am once again experiencing the heaven of the smoothest online play I've ever seen in a fighting game, alongside the hell of the worst lobby system I've ever seen in a fighting game. To be fair, they made some tweaks to improve that latter... but also to be fair, they don't seem to have helped all that much. I still get a lot of times when the lobby just says it failed to match me against an opponent, just like before, so the new stations don't seem to be helping all that much. Can't imagine how they screwed that up, given how well those work in their old lobbies in prior BlazBlue and Guilty Gear games, but there it is. Still, once I'm in a match, the game plays perfectly, and that is definitely the most important part. Honestly, even more exciting than Strive itself is simply the knowledge that all of Arc System Works' future games should have this netcode now, because they were already my favorite fighting game developer, so them suddenly also having the best netcode in the business is practically a dream come true.

Today I focused on playing my likely main, Ramlethal Valentine - and to my surprise, despite developing a reputation as one of the strongest characters in the previous beta, she doesn't seem to have really been nerfed. Some universal gameplay changes affected her, but besides that, she's basically playing like I remember. The only change was to limit a specific combo sequence she could do, but because of how that specific combo needed to start, I didn't really find myself using it anyway. Still, works for me, she's a lot of fun.

Tomorrow I'll probably switch over to playing May, see if I continue to like her, and if I can still manage to make a charge character work given she's the only one I've ever played even a little bit. I'm also kind of tempted to try I-No since she wasn't in the prior beta and I've always thought she was a cool character, but I think I'll save that for when the game releases in full next month, since she's definitely a harder to use character than Ram or May, and the beta only lasts until Sunday morning.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #1086

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Why would you send Strong to the Preston Garvey Quarantine Zone?
    TBH, I like doing Preston's quests.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I tried its prologue, I think, and it seemed like less than the sum of its parts to me. Can't really recommend.
    That's about the shape of it. There's nothing definitively bad or nonfunctional about it, it's just sort of there. Like slightly cooled toast at a breakfast buffet.

It's interesting, though, that there are now an uncountable number of games around that has really stellar pseudo-pixel art. I guess it's reasonable since we're well into the Indie Renaissance, but still.
    It really makes me wish that indie game devs produced games I actually liked more often, because a lot of the time I really like the way an indie game looks. A lot of it is a genre thing, I hardly ever enjoy platformers, and roguelikes (even more so roguelites with meta progression) usually turn me off. Roguelite platformers inspired by Dark Souls just completely turn me off.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I'm nearing the end of that Rome 2: Total War campaign, and honestly, I probably should've turned the difficulty up above normal. Because ever since finishing those early wars to the north of my starting position, I've just been kind of steamrolling. The only battles I've lost have been because of moments where I can't defend all of my territories at once, so an enemy army swoops in and briefly takes a city from me by beating its garrison - only to lose it next turn anyway as I send an army to retake it. I've now conquered effectively the entire Middle East, and for the endgame I'm betraying my longtime allies in Turkey: Pontus, the Seleucids, Pergammon, and... one more whose name I can never remember, it's the smallest and weakest of the four. They all wound up with mutual defensive alliances with each other and me pretty early in the game, which have lasted until now, when I realized Pergammon was sitting on the last territory I needed for my win condition. Still, the four of them are a bigger threat than the other nations I've been mopping the floor with, and I'm still embroiled in other wars on my borders since diplomatic penalties from my Imperium level means everyone else hates me now, so it's an appropriate climax I suppose.
    Just so you know, win conditions apply to your military allies as well as your owned territories. If you were able to upgrade your defensive alliance with Pergammon to a military one, their own territories would be added to yours for your victory conditions.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

So May in Guilty Gear Strive is still a lot of fun for me. So much so that I'm starting to question whether Ramlethal should be my main. I mean, I certainly love Ram's corner pressure and combos, and her big normals are great to have, but May just feels really good to threaten people with. Once you're in close, they have to worry about her command grab and her standing overhead (especially if you have meter to RC the latter), and if they get too antsy about those and try to challenge, just pressuring them with close slash instead can become a big, nasty combo. And bonking people with her giant anchor and body-slamming them with her pet dolphins just never gets old. It's also nice to have the English voice acting now, since I did find May's Japanese voice a little irritating, and her English one seems good.

I don't know, we'll see how I feel when the full release happens. June 11th can't come fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Just so you know, win conditions apply to your military allies as well as your owned territories. If you were able to upgrade your defensive alliance with Pergammon to a military one, their own territories would be added to yours for your victory conditions.
    Eh, oh well, that's fine. I've been thinking of betraying these guys for a while now anyway, since Pontus and Selecuia scooped up a couple of territories I wanted earlier in the game, and this makes for a good finale to an otherwise pretty easy campaign.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    It really makes me wish that indie game devs produced games I actually liked more often, because a lot of the time I really like the way an indie game looks. A lot of it is a genre thing, I hardly ever enjoy platformers, and roguelikes (even more so roguelites with meta progression) usually turn me off. Roguelite platformers inspired by Dark Souls just completely turn me off.
    I feel you. But it makes sense if you think about it. Platformers are one of the easiest* genre to make games for. Sticking to two dimensions removes a huge amount of complexity. These games are also often rather lite on traditional storytelling: not having to create a narrative in a interactive medium and not having to write dialogue saves a lot of time. If you then use procedural generation for your content creation you can have your game up and running while studios like Owlcat are still busy implementing 1st level spells.

*easiest, not easy!

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Yeah, indie devs love their platformers mostly because of the reasons explained above, so that's a bit of a tough luck for you there. Still, there are lots of other indie titles with good old school graphics out there as well. Contra/Metal Slug-alikes, FFT-alikes, Fire Emblem/Advance Wars-alikes, original-alikes , etc.

Just gotta scout 'em all.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Yeah, indie devs love their platformers mostly because of the reasons explained above, so that's a bit of a tough luck for you there. Still, there are lots of other indie titles with good old school graphics out there as well. Contra/Metal Slug-alikes, FFT-alikes, Fire Emblem/Advance Wars-alikes, original-alikes , etc.

Just gotta scout 'em all.
    My advice is to eliminate platformers, roguelikes and souls-like tags from your steam search/recommendation stuff if you don't want them. after all, I got rid of tower defense and horror games, and now I'll never get recommended those ever again. can't give you advice on any other online store though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Firbolg in the Playground

Been playing cold war mode on world of tanks console. Mechanics shakeups are great, giving larger maps and changing how things are drawn and balanced in a way that shakes things up.

Two problems though.
    Economy is messed up. The prices attached to tanks are above what modules for t10 'ww2' tanks are, but silver earnings are even lower than that.
    And there's only two tanks lines, US and soviet MBTs. I mean yes things are new, but no Pact exports? no Centurions? I mean the latter are *ALREADY IN THE GAME*. Every match I'm in is m4x pattons vs T-44s and T54s
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying to speed-run murder to get Strong's affinity to maximum in FO4. Just, bop around the Capitol Wasteland, killing as many Super Mutants, Ghouls, and Raiders as I can. I then send him to Coastal Cottage, which is important to nothing, and let him live out his life in peace on the farm.
    I sent Strong to the Slog, where he spent most of his time hanging out with the ghoul handyman... and one time made me crack up laughing as I went by, when I saw Strong attempting to use the computer in the room by very slowly typing with two fingers. I never even imagined an animation like that was in the game.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

I did the same. I figured he'd have a blast. Defending the ghouls and having the occasional fist fight with a deathclaw.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tried Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for a bit before concluding that, even on Low, its graphics were more than my poor laptop could handle gracefully. (I wonder if casting/plugging into the TV would fix that problem?)

Next up is probably A Hat In Time, which I have heard very good things about, or Crypt of the Necrodancer. May also buy the update to Monster Train and replay a few levels of The King's Bird. (That last one will likely lead to replaying the whole game, actually....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

Lets see, finally finished Pokemon Fire Ash, going through seven pokemon regions in one game in emulation of Ash Ketchum's trek from Kanto to Alola? tiring. probably going to do something other than pokemon for now....

what should I do? play more Doom Eternal? play more Divinity 2 Original sin, play more Katana Zero, play more Code Vein or play more Nioh 2? decisions decisions....

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

Rome 2: Total War Armenian campaign complete. Some food shortages slowed me down in the last few turns there, but I ultimately finished wiping out my former allies and conquering Turkey. Wound up controlling basically the entire map east of continental Europe, plus around half of Africa. Between this campaign and my first one as Rome, I think the only territories in the game I've never gone and conquered now are a handful in north-eastern Europe. I definitely like how much more of the Middle East is in Rome 2's campaign map than in Rome 1 or Medieval 2, makes for a refreshing addition and helps that corner of the map not feel like just awkward strip of land the way it did in the older games.

And now I need to decide on what to use my gaming time on for a couple of weeks. Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Next up is probably A Hat In Time, which I have heard very good things about, or Crypt of the Necrodancer. May also buy the update to Monster Train and replay a few levels of The King's Bird. (That last one will likely lead to replaying the whole game, actually....)
    Have not played the others to compare, but I will say that I found A Hat In Time absolutely charming and a lot of fun. Would definitely recommend it if you enjoy 3D platformers at all.

19. - Top - End - #1099

BlackDragon

Since Subnautica: Below Zero is now out of early access I got it and have been playing a bit. Got a nice little base built with a bioreactor and have just built a seatruck. Next priority is a Modification Station so I can get it a depth upgrade and do the next part of the story.

20. - Top - End - #1100

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I sent Strong to the Slog, where he spent most of his time hanging out with the ghoul handyman... and one time made me crack up laughing as I went by, when I saw Strong attempting to use the computer in the room by very slowly typing with two fingers. I never even imagined an animation like that was in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I did the same. I figured he'd have a blast. Defending the ghouls and having the occasional fist fight with a deathclaw.
    I might have to move him. The Slog wants to be the place where everyone is welcome, after all.

But, he's done, and I've moved on to Ada, and doing that DLC. I have Dogmeat parked outside of Fort Hagen, and I'm considering going with Danse, but I don't particularly like the FO4 version of the Brotherhood... back to FO1's "arbiter of technology".
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

As much as I hate the Institute, attacking the Fort Hagen Relay with Synth Nades amuses me greatly.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Attempting to go platinum on RE: Village right. I have managed to get the more annoying trophies and challenges, but The Mercenaries mode is too RNG based in order to get the high scores required for the trophies.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

So, what I decided to do to fill time until June is pick up a game I've been considering trying since I saw a little of Maximilian Dood playing it around New Year's: Hades. I'm going into it knowing only what little I saw from watching his stream for about an hour or so, but I'd say my impressions from watching that have been pretty accurate to what I think of the game actually playing it myself.

I like the core combat, which is quick and engaging. I like the way that the various power-ups you earn as you go basically customize your play style, and the way the game gives you a choice as to which bonuses to go for with icons on the doors after you clear each room. I'm not so big a fan of the whole Rogue-like "start over from the beginning every time you die, but with the chance to pick up some permanent power-ups" part. The various weapons and power-ups help keep things from getting too monotonous, but that's not going to last forever. So I doubt I'll be the type to grind out fully unlocking everything in the game.

For now though, I've logged 11 attempted escapes, two of which I reached the boss fight with Hades for. Both of those involved me getting the Daedelus upgrade that cuts your max health by 60% but lets you regain health with your basic attacks, which seems extremely good, at least for the sword weapon (which I've thus far stuck with). Besides those attempts the best I've managed is reaching Theseus and the Minotaur and getting 3/4 of the way through that fight. Getting the hang of things more and more though - and I've now bought an awful lot of those mirror upgrades - so I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practice to actually succeed.

Screw the poison status in that final area, though. It's so easy to miss when you get inflicted with it, and eats through a lot of health very fast...

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Screw the poison status in that final area, though. It's so easy to miss when you get inflicted with it, and eats through a lot of health very fast...
    Yeah as someone who played since early access, thats the only thing about the game I don't like. that final area is always the worst, the enemies are the ones you fight the least, you have to just hope that you pick the right path and not lose too much health.

been play Fallout NV with mods, trying a luck 10 build. I think the luck is doing wonders because combat goes much more smoothly than it did with my Int character. however both times I've played it, it tends to suddenly crash to desktop at times. I'd get far enough to gain a couple levels then *snap* stops working. sigh....

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah as someone who played since early access, thats the only thing about the game I don't like. that final area is always the worst, the enemies are the ones you fight the least, you have to just hope that you pick the right path and not lose too much health.

I usually find that by this point my build is done and I'm powerful enough to steamroll those rooms before they can do anything. It's probably the easiest zone overall just because you're so powerful when you get there.

26. - Top - End - #1106

Back into Disco Elysium: Final Cut after I made some breaks for games that need a bit less brain space to run. I need to be fully awake to play DE. Anyway, got through the Communist Vision Quest now, and I must say, BIG improvement over the base game. Where in the base game, HDB's allegiance to political ideologies mostly consisted of the repetition of shallow slogans and even if you fully commit to it, the one genuine old-fashioned communist in the game still thinks you're a bourgeois henchman who think's he's clever for making communist trappings into a fashion statement, not a believer. And he's not wrong. Harry is not remotely as deep as he likes to think he is and he never seems to really spend any time thinking about his ideologies.

Now, added to that, we have the Inframaterialist Reading Group, which, apart from being genuinely hilarious (socialist-revolutionary fervour creates electromagnetic-spiritual brain emissions that make beets grow faster) and true to so many real-life student socialists I've met, also has some actual things to say about the ideology.

I'm now tempted to go back and actually replay the game as a fash or a lib, just to see what they do with those ideologies. Probably not, though, I don't think I could stomach it in the long-term, and it's still a 20 hour time investment.

Apart from that, I'm still unsure on the voice acting. Generally, it's all very well done, I even came around to most of the new voice actors, but I don't quite have the patience for fully voiced dialogue. Especially the main voice actor for your thoughts is very good, but he's... slow. I'm usually done with half a page of text by the time he's through two sentences.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Banned

Currently playing Black Desert online

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I find that the final area is better played slowly and carefully, at least in my experience. Though most people would probably disagree, considering the way I see people playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Apart from that, I'm still unsure on the voice acting. Generally, it's all very well done, I even came around to most of the new voice actors, but I don't quite have the patience for fully voiced dialogue. Especially the main voice actor for your thoughts is very good, but he's... slow. I'm usually done with half a page of text by the time he's through two sentences.
    Fully voiced is a lot of resource waste in my opinion. It's best used in the most dramatic 10-20% of the dialogues, or people (understandably) just skip it while reading at reading speed.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, while voicework does add to RPG's, unless it's one with plenty of cinematic parts, you generally don't need much of it outside of the critical path. In an isometric, I'd say only the critical path and key companion dialogue really need it, especially with how it inflates the costs.

And while a voiced MC is beneficial for a Shepard or Geralt, with a broadly pre-set personality, I find non-voiced is better when it's a less fleshed-out character. I've had some cases where the voice, or the available voices, just didn't fit the character I had in mind, and it's a lot less costly.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-05-20 at 01:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

As bad as rapid-fire weapons tend to be in Fallout games, built properly in NV that stupid ROF means a high luck build does insane damage because it's critting 50% of the time. You stop have to aim and just have to hold the trigger while looking at the enemy and they just... Go pop.