New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Thought quite a bit about this comment, and my thoughts in brief: I play western RPGs for the mechanics, because you can build all sorts of different characters and I enjoy that. You generally can't do that so much in JRPGs--heck, in Persona and Trails you can't even change what weapon your character uses, most of the time! So, what draws me in to a JRPG is mainly if I like the characters--if I want to know what happens to them I'll be invested enough to play.

DQ11 is a bit odd, though, because it does have more character customisation, so I'm not sure if it's that which is attracting me to it or if it's just that I like Erik as a character. (The main guy himself is obviously as blank and silent as Japanese protags usually are).
    also replying to where you said: "Well, in my ongoing quest to find a JRPG I like enough to finish that doesn't have Persona or Trails in the title"

What about the old SNES-era ones? There were a lot of nice ones from that era. Was the writing just not good enough? I know there were some with good customization as well; but those might've been the ones that only came out in Japan.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Honestly the game only picks up after the end of the first route.
    It's already been good, but more for atmosphere and creepiness than story.

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Just because the term might be confusing, 'ending A' isn't much of an ending at all. Yes, you get the credits rolling and all that, but you're really only about a third of the way through the game.
    I'm aware of that. And at least in the edition I have, they put a big notice to that effect after the credits.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Working on the intro for Pony Island. I'm worried that, much like it was in The Hex, my progress will be halted once once I have to deal with the shoot 'em up sections.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    What about the old SNES-era ones? There were a lot of nice ones from that era. Was the writing just not good enough? I know there were some with good customization as well; but those might've been the ones that only came out in Japan.
    I have tried some older ones, e.g. Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean, but my tastes have changed over the years, and where those graphics would have been mightily impressive to me in 1995, not so much nowadays! Speaking of old-fashioned graphics, turns out there are bits in DQ11 where you go through a timewarp to past games, and those graphics are very old school 2D indeed--OK in small doses, but definitely wouldn't want to play the entire game like that (as is an option).

Trails in the Sky is probably about as old school as I care to handle nowadays, and that gets a pass because the backgrounds are 3D and the sprites moving around on top are quite high-resolution and detailed. I guess it comes down to the fact I lived (and played) through that era of gaming, and everything just feels really clunky and awkward to control going back there.
    Last edited by factotum; 2020-12-27 at 12:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So I received Spider-Man: Miles Morales as a holiday gift, and have been playing that. [...]

Seems like it might be kind of short though, as the game's already telling me I'm at an overall progress of 53%. I guess that makes sense given they made the game so quickly after the first though.
    Uh, yeah, so, definitely short. Wrapped it up last night. I'd guess it's maybe half the length of its predecessor, perhaps a bit less, which is definitely a bit disappointing. Still, what's there is really good - I greatly enjoyed the story and characters, and of course the gameplay is great all-around. Mulling whether I want to do a New Game+ run or just move to another game.

Thought quite a bit about this comment, and my thoughts in brief: I play western RPGs for the mechanics, because you can build all sorts of different characters and I enjoy that. You generally can't do that so much in JRPGs--heck, in Persona and Trails you can't even change what weapon your character uses, most of the time! So, what draws me in to a JRPG is mainly if I like the characters--if I want to know what happens to them I'll be invested enough to play.

DQ11 is a bit odd, though, because it does have more character customisation, so I'm not sure if it's that which is attracting me to it or if it's just that I like Erik as a character. (The main guy himself is obviously as blank and silent as Japanese protags usually are).
    Fair enough, DQ11 does have some good companion characters, Erik included.

Speaking of old-fashioned graphics, turns out there are bits in DQ11 where you go through a timewarp to past games, and those graphics are very old school 2D indeed--OK in small doses, but definitely wouldn't want to play the entire game like that (as is an option).
    Really? I though the old-style visuals was just an extra option they added to 11S, I wasn't aware of any "timewarp to past games" element to it. Interesting.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #186
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Had to go back to before Bruma Gate in Oblivion, then run it again... but I've gotten the armor of Tiber Septim, and saved that idiot in Cheydinhal
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

So, after uninstalling that game after having played for about six hours, I fired up the Dragon Quest XI demo, and *immediately* I'm having ten times as much fun. I don't like the very stylised 3D cartoons they use for all the people, but the combat is turn-based and immediately makes sense. In fact, I had so much fun playing the demo that I just bought the full game and am downloading it ready to play tomorrow.
    Is the demo just the normal start of the game, or does it throw you into the game a little further? I tried DQ11 a while back and couldn't get into it. I gave up after an hour or two since it seemed to be just basic JRPG tropes with no difficulty. Maybe I would have liked it if I gave it more time though and actually got to the meat of the game.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Tried the first level of shovel Knight. I liked it, and for the most part its easy but given how I kept dying on the first boss and this one gap in a level I can tell this is one of the games where you have to consistently get things right or consistently fall into the same trap of failure if you don't know what to do. it took me a few tries to realize that I can use the shovel to deflect black knights blasts back at them. I think I'll like it, but there is a few games I haven't tried yet despite purchasing them some time ago, that I need to sample at the very least and thus I plan on trying some Disc Creatures and Katana Zero just to see what they're about.

my brother gave me a steam coupon for christmas which I purchased a bunch of games on steam, but aside from shovel Knight, they are either Nioh 2, which won't unlock for a few weeks yet, or things like Okami and Kotor 2, the former I've seen lets plays of and the latter I've played myself long ago, so not much want to play those, but there is 5d chess which I'm going to be trying even though thats probably going to be a mind-twister at best. though if I can find that restored content mod for Kotor 2, might be worth playing against just to see whats different.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

The first ten hours of the game in Dragon Quest 11 is still teaching you concepts that the game is going to throw at you. That's what the demo offers, as far as I understand. The game is close to 140 hours long so that's probably a good opening slice for a "demo". The game absolutely gets difficult at spots. Obviously that takes some time considering the game is as long as it is and has all the content that it has.

The Tockle side-quest (the retro 90's looking part) can be pretty difficult and there were a few fights in that section that were harder than the end boss. Some of the time skip bosses are blood boiling in how frustrating they can be if you don't know/plan for their gimmick. Booga is the worst of these where you have to fight a gauntlet of enemies, capped off by a boss level difficult fight and then you have to fight Booga himself. So it has all the hallmarks of resource management and then Booga can just charm your allies, absorb your mana and health that you were managing and has some full party attacks. If you're not wise to his tricks or vastly over leveled...which is rather hard to accomplish mid-game...he's going to kick your butt. If you're not swapping people in and out to mitigate the charms and other attacks you're going to be in a rough spot. The learning curve is pretty steep between the majority of early game bosses and mid game bosses.

Pretty much every boss after Booga (and a few before though they're less common) are like that. If you're not smart about who you bring in, who you cycle in and out of combat, and the gear you're wearing the bosses are going to treat you roughly. Once bosses start dishing out two or more moves against the party at once without the ability to respond until the player turn, things ramp up. The optional post game (and post-post game) bosses are pretty rough even when you plan for them. The Jormun fight was one in particular that I just left alone until it was literally the last thing I needed to do to progress the story and I only won by merit of googling some help and making sure I brought literally every weapon I could to take the sucker down.

That being said. Dragon Quest 11 is an absolutely true to old school JRPG form as you're going to find on modern platforms. It is aggressively old school, sometimes annoyingly, and doesn't really do much to deviate from the tropes the series helped invent. The story isn't ground breaking. It's the classic Light versus Dark, band of heroes versus evil with some less than modern depictions of gays and women. The villains don't have deep motivations, they just want to destroy stuff. There's no real challenging drama outside...like one character....everything is played straight from start to finish. They don't even pull a "person in your party is actually helping the bad guys" like I was expecting. That being said however, the game is 140ish hours of pure JRPG fun and if that's all you want out of it...it's 140 hours! That's more than three modern Triple A RPGs at this point!! Its 14 Call of Duty single player games! But if you're looking for a modern JRPG or just a modern RPG in general....Dragon Quest 11 isn't going to be what you want.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-12-28 at 12:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Is the demo just the normal start of the game, or does it throw you into the game a little further? I tried DQ11 a while back and couldn't get into it. I gave up after an hour or two since it seemed to be just basic JRPG tropes with no difficulty. Maybe I would have liked it if I gave it more time though and actually got to the meat of the game.
    It's the normal start of the game--you can even load a save from the demo into the full game so you don't lose any progress. It's only about 3-4 hours long, though--it ends when you're in the Manglegrove, because the things you need to get the bridge rebuilt and continue on to Cobblestone simply don't spawn and so you're stuck there. It doesn't actually tell you that's the end, though, you don't figure that out until you get the full game and those things *do* suddenly appear!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying out Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2, and though it's fun, it also seems to have doubled down on the oldschool features a bit more than I'd like. Full on Castlevania-style rigid jumps, low HPs (some of your guys die in 2-3 hits?), knockback into pits, the works. It's also visibly less forgiving in its hitboxes compared to something like Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight. For example, the spearwoman in this one can spearjump off of enemies and items, but it easily misses like %60-70 of the time, where in Shovel Knight you never really missed on a shoveljump, as it even detected hits on the very edge of an enemy.

Eh, otherwise it's good though, we'll see how long it goes before chafing too much.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Sampled this and that:
    Disc Creatures:
    tried it a bit, it really hits all those pokemon vibes I like, its retro in its presentation but the way it changes things up are all welcome ways, giving more tactical options and things to consider. I can tell from one speech an npc gives when you get your creatures that it balances out pokemon's saccharine nature with a little more serious awareness of what kind of world it is. which I like, its that little modification to make it a bit more grounded and not completely happy that I appreciate.

Rivals of Aether:
    I think this game has a bit of a learning curve to it, especially with a keyboard set up. they defaults they chose are a little weird to use. might have to come back to it, but I hope I can learn how to fight in it. movements a bit weird to.

Katana Zero:
    controls real well. all the movement is fluid, its like some puzzle action thing. feels the opposite of rivals of aether and like I can just retry however many times I want to get it right as long as I'm quick. really sells you on being this cyberpunk ronin-ninja cosplayer assassin. a lot of this game is a combination of knowing what to do and reflexes so you have to think fast even in dialogue, and the dialogue is the harder part in some respects, because you don't get retries for it, so you don't know where your going so to speak.

I think I'll save Aether for later, seems like the type of game that requires some mastery, so I think I'm gonna focus on Disc Creatures and Katana Zero, they're the games I know least about and thus have the most to gain from playing them.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #193

BlackDragon

OK, this is a bit weird. I've been changing the armour of my characters in DQ11 since the beginning of the game and it's never affected the way they appear--I had just assumed that this was something they'd never bothered to implement. However, I was just leaving Gallopolis ready to head over to the next section of the game, and I had money to spare, so I upgraded everyone's armour. This included buying Serena a dancer's outfit, because somehow a diaphanous silk costume offers more protection than the leather dress she was wearing before--and colour me surprised when her character model actually updated to reflect this change, alone of any of the armour changes I made! Isn't it weird (ahem) that the only dress change the developers included so far is a skimpier outfit for a female character? I'm sure there's no particular reason for that, obviously...

In other news, I now have a fifth party member, but you can only have four in your combat party, so he's on the bench for the moment. However, I've noticed that his XP increases alongside everyone else's when I win battles, so at least I don't have to do the typical JRPG thing of swapping people into the front line purely to keep their experience level close to everyone else's!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

OK, this is a bit weird. I've been changing the armour of my characters in DQ11 since the beginning of the game and it's never affected the way they appear--I had just assumed that this was something they'd never bothered to implement. However, I was just leaving Gallopolis ready to head over to the next section of the game, and I had money to spare, so I upgraded everyone's armour. This included buying Serena a dancer's outfit, because somehow a diaphanous silk costume offers more protection than the leather dress she was wearing before--and colour me surprised when her character model actually updated to reflect this change, alone of any of the armour changes I made! Isn't it weird (ahem) that the only dress change the developers included so far is a skimpier outfit for a female character? I'm sure there's no particular reason for that, obviously...
    This is one of the Dragon Quest traditions that they could do with letting go of, yeah. Same thing will happen with, usually, the bunny-girl outfit (may require equipping the whole set of the leotard, ears, and tail accessory) and the Bustier items, at least one of which is usually among the best female armor items in the game.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

It's not particularly weird, no, considering the game is marketed to young boys. A female character even gets a Playboy bunny suit. I did mention how the game is a bit old school in how it represents women and gays, but that's Japan in general. They don't have the same woke culture the West has and they see it as a joke, not objectification.

Not only that, every character in the game has at least 3 different outfits you can get. Erik's got the best hands down.

In other news, I now have a fifth party member, but you can only have four in your combat party, so he's on the bench for the moment. However, I've noticed that his XP increases alongside everyone else's when I win battles, so at least I don't have to do the typical JRPG thing of swapping people into the front line purely to keep their experience level close to everyone else's!
    This is one of the very few modern updates DQ11 has though it's not that modern, Dragon Quest games have been doing shared XP for a long time. You're expected to swap characters out during battle and you should really practice that as often as you can. Every character has their strengths and weaknesses and all of them are helpful. Dragon Quest 11, and a lot of Dragon Quest games, are not the "pick your four favorites" type games. You need to be using every character depending on the situation you're in.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, everybody gets a small handful of armor sets that act as alternate costumes in DQ11, and some (thankfully far from all) of the female ones, well, they're following in the footsteps of the alternates from Dragon Quest 8 (where only the one female party member had alternates, and all of them were sexualized). To be fair, at least with the Dancer ones I suspect they're in there in part as a reference to a character from a previous game (Maya, from DQ4, the first of the series to give character development of party members some real focus). Also to be fair though, the Bunny Girl, bikini, and bustier costumes have no such excuse, they're exactly what you'd think they are.

Fortunately at least none of them are Veronica's, she mostly gets silly outfits.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #197
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Ugh. I am having trouble getting into Shivering Isles. I've heard so many people rave about it, but I'm just... meh.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Playing Outward and it's a good time. It's about 40% of a good game. You can see what they were trying to do and the studio didn't really know how to pull it off. As a result, we have mechanics that aren't really supported by the world, which is a pity. It wants to be a heroic adventuring game in the vein of The Hobbit story, where surviving the trip alone is at least 40% of the issues the party encountered. Monsters, treasure, and heroism are important too, but so is struggling to light a fire during a thunderstorm on the barren face of a mountain.
    While it has decent survival mechanics, the world is overpopulated with monsters and bandits. It's a miracle anyone can make it out of town, much less trade. Not to mention the bandit camps seem to be at least as civilized as our home village, leading me to wonder if maybe we're the bandits.
    For all its flaws, it's still a good game though. Especially with a co-op buddy. We just pretend we're the village goblins desperately trying to make our way in the world while everyone hates us. Good times!

Also playing Deep Rock Galactic with friends, and it's always a blast. The game has improved a lot since I last played it, and it was already quite good! Not the most intellectually engaging of games, but when you want to drop into a capitalist dystopia with beards, bugs, and bombs, there's none better.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

At this point in the game you should have already encountered at least two appearance-changing costumes for Hero. IIRC, there's the "grandpa's old traveling clothes" you get automatically, and winning the optional races gives you special armor. Unless that's something added in the PS4 version.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    At this point in the game you should have already encountered at least two appearance-changing costumes for Hero. IIRC, there's the "grandpa's old traveling clothes" you get automatically, and winning the optional races gives you special armor. Unless that's something added in the PS4 version.
    I don't know what version they're using, but the Switch one has everything the PS4 originally had and more. PS4 just got the Definitive Edition recently.

21. - Top - End - #201

BlackDragon

It's the definitive edition on PC. Yeah, I'd forgotten the protagonist got an appearance change or two, but those aren't really the same thing--those are actual changes in costume, not a change in appearance due to putting on a new piece of armour, as Serena's was.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

Playing Battle chasers. It's a solid little RPG, but a little slow for my tastes. I had to use cheat engine to speed up the animations and running speeds to make it bearable. That's pretty common with turn based rpgs for me though.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Sobecause I've lost my decent progress Dead Man's Switch save, and with the release of cyber...something 2077 I've found myself wanting something cyberpunk despite not having a PC that can run the new game.

So I picked up Dragonfall Developer's Cut and Hong Kong Extended Edition, starting the first. I then failed the first combat encounter because I confused the mage and the tank. So I restarted, shifted my build around slightly and then Blankbody, human gunslinger and people talker got through her first run. The gameplay is just as good, the writing is as punk as you could want it, and the set crew means there will be more chance for character development than in DMS.

It does feel strange to be an apparently somewhat experienced runner without ant cyberware. Where's my wired reflexes? My cybereyes? If I was playing this character on the tabletop I'd already be 3-4 Essence points down before the game even began. I know I'll be able to cyber up in a bit (I'm guessing one or two more missions), but I feel underequipped for a street samurai.

Other than that one niggle, yeeeeees. This is what I cyberpunk for.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

So between my Monster Hunting and going home for the holidays i've been getting back into Dissidia Opera Omnia, the mobile gacha.

For a bit now they've had 2 new types of weapon, LDs, which add a 3-4 use skill to the character and Bursts which add a once per fight damage spike followed by a buff (and only one character can burst in any given fight). LDs are what's considered a new hotness within a character's kit with bursts being a nice added cherry.

In addition to this new near, they're slowly trickling out level 80's for select characters as well as new difficulty tier, Lufena.

It's got a neat gimmick: In addition to just getting better stats, the boss's abilities are altered and they get a new countdown timer, with a big damage happening if it reaches 0. depending on your actions you can add extra time to the countdown, reset the counter or cancel it altogether until a later phase in the boss fight. Definitely changes up how you build your party to address the fight.

Dragonball Dokkan is ringing in the new year with a step-up summon banner. pulls cost 20/30/50/50/50 gems for a cycle, with the 5th pull guaranteeing a LR unit. you're also allowed 3 cycles. Got a few neat units on my first cycle, including the 6th and final SSJ4 character I needed for "Eshew Saiyan, Become Monke" team. My LR was unfortunately a dupe, but that's still a decent power boost to the existing LR so it's hardly a loss. Also having a strong and actually playable full team of SSJ4's, my favourite of the Saiyan transformations, makes my heart giddy.

Epic currently has Jurassic World Evolution as their free game, so I'm probably gonna give that a whirl. Nothing says wholesome gaming like cheap fencing and apex predators.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sobecause I've lost my decent progress Dead Man's Switch save, and with the release of cyber...something 2077 I've found myself wanting something cyberpunk despite not having a PC that can run the new game.

So I picked up Dragonfall Developer's Cut and Hong Kong Extended Edition, starting the first. I then failed the first combat encounter because I confused the mage and the tank. So I restarted, shifted my build around slightly and then Blankbody, human gunslinger and people talker got through her first run. The gameplay is just as good, the writing is as punk as you could want it, and the set crew means there will be more chance for character development than in DMS.

It does feel strange to be an apparently somewhat experienced runner without ant cyberware. Where's my wired reflexes? My cybereyes? If I was playing this character on the tabletop I'd already be 3-4 Essence points down before the game even began. I know I'll be able to cyber up in a bit (I'm guessing one or two more missions), but I feel underequipped for a street samurai.

Hong Kong and Dragonfall are both way better than Dead Man Switch anyway. Hong Kong is by far the most polished, but Dragonfall's plot is probably a little better. Either way, they're both great games.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

So. X-Com, X-Com 2, Phantom Doctrine, BattleTech and I frickin bet Phoenix Point, the vast majority of modern RPGs and every other game with an emphasis on character customisation et al... Can I have a word?

Can you all just stop restricting the skin colours to human ones, please?

I want to have access to the entire spectrum, not just dull human-colours. I can't beleive you need to do the graphics for every single shade on evey prop, since I could blummin' well pick green or blue in Baldur's Gate. And now, you can drop the "but immersion" angle, guys, you so often have enough stupid props to put on your characters (yes, pumpkin with glowing eyes Phantom Doctrine, looking at you) that don't make ANY sense in-universe. And ESPECIALLY when it's trivial to mod in portraits or they don't even exist or something. Stop making me play human-coloured things, dammit.

(It's bad enough only a HANDUL of games let me play a skeleton, and I don't think ANY game EVER has let me do that and pick a colour for the bones.)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't remember how quickly you get that stuff in the first game, I'm pretty sure in the other ones you have access to it very soon. I didn't know the system very well when I started the first game and I'm not sure how much changed between the original version and the director's cut. I'm pretty sure they ported the entire Deadman Switch campaign over to the newer engine, but don't remember what all that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So. X-Com, X-Com 2, Phantom Doctrine, BattleTech and I frickin bet Phoenix Point, the vast majority of modern RPGs and every other game with an emphasis on character customisation et al... Can I have a word?

Can you all just stop restricting the skin colours to human ones, please?

I want to have access to the entire spectrum, not just dull human-colours. I can't beleive you need to do the graphics for every single shade on evey prop, since I could blummin' well pick green or blue in Baldur's Gate. And now, you can drop the "but immersion" angle, guys, you so often have enough stupid props to put on your characters (yes, pumpkin with glowing eyes Phantom Doctrine, looking at you) that don't make ANY sense in-universe. And ESPECIALLY when it's trivial to mod in portraits or they don't even exist or something. Stop making me play human-coloured things, dammit.

(It's bad enough only a HANDUL of games let me play a skeleton, and I don't think ANY game EVER has let me do that and pick a colour for the bones.)
    I think it comes down to the setting. I've played a few games lately that let you pick blue, green, purple, and various other odd skin colors, but it fit with the setting. X-Com and BattleTech at least are 100% human in setting, I don't think there are any sentient alien species in BattleTech. X-Com of course there are aliens, but the whole point is you're "regular" humans fighting them off.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I think it comes down to the setting. I've played a few games lately that let you pick blue, green, purple, and various other odd skin colors, but it fit with the setting. X-Com and BattleTech at least are 100% human in setting, I don't think there are any sentient alien species in BattleTech. X-Com of course there are aliens, but the whole point is you're "regular" humans fighting them off.
    Yeah, but again, let me point direcly at the full-head covering-pumpkin-head accesory, the witch's hat, the full-facial tattoos in Phantom Doctrine, which is LITERALLY a spy game. Not exactly unusual, either.

It's not a hill they can really sensibly say they can die on with that excuse.

If that is all "it's a bit of fun" why can't nonhuman skin colours ALSO be a bit of fun?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. It's a shame that they won't continue the Shadowrun titles. Battletech was good too, but well-written proper cyberpunk RPGs aren't really dime a dozen to begin with.

30. - Top - End - #210

BlackDragon

Y'know, Dragon Quest XI looks all cutesy and cartoonish--because it generally *is* that (I mean, we're talking a game where, when you defeat a particular type of enemy, they fall over, their axe flies up in the air, then bops them on the head)--but it still manages some really moving moments. I just did the ceremony to free the lost souls of Dundrasil and I could feel a tear forming now and then.

I've also just figured out where I've heard Sir Hendrik's voice before, which has been bugging me for a while--he also voiced Erend in Horizon: Zero Dawn!