New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peace Clerics

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Peace Clerics

Is it just me, or are peace domain clerics in Tashas Cauldron of Everything just utterly broken?

. Emboldening Bond scales with your Proficiency Bonus, making the domain a crazy good level dip for multiclassing
    . Emboldening Bond can stack with stuff like Guidance and Bardic Inspiration
    . Protective Bond essentially acts as both a teleportation option and a damage mitigation option, both of which are insanely good

This is coming from someone who loved the idea of The Unity Domain focusing on damage mitigation and buffs rather than heals: I don't understand why they buffed it so much. The UA version of the Unity cleric seemed fine where it was.
    Last edited by ChaseC311; 2020-11-20 at 01:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Peace Clerics

I can't say whether it's "utterly broken" until I see it in play. But it does seem very strong. Especially as a 1 level dip on a support-focused Bard or the like.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's the support equivalent of hexblade. Hard to say how big it is yet. I'm thinking of tossing one in as a NPC just to see the impact.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Meh. It is a nice lvl 1 ability, but it takes an action and lasts 10 minutes... so often, you can't use it as a pre-buff. Its good, but don't think its a hexblade by any means.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    Meh. It is a nice lvl 1 ability, but it takes an action and lasts 10 minutes... so often, you can't use it as a pre-buff. Its good, but don't think its a hexblade by any means.
    At proficiency charges a day you can afford to pop it anytime you think you might need to make a few rolls. Sure a few may get wasted but that's the nature of dealing with the unknown.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2020-11-28 at 07:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Plus it stacks with Bless, which is awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Treantmonk also mentioned this as the most broken subclass in tashas.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by CMCC View Post
    Treantmonk also mentioned this as the most broken subclass in tashas.
    He's wrong. Twilight Cleric is even more broken.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    They’re similar lvls of broke. That lvl 6 ability is completely bonkers and might be one of the strongest party abilities in all of 5e. It’s a free proficiency number of teleports, free disengage, and the best scaling damage mitigation tool. It’s also free movement and allows almost perfect battlefield control and setup

The gains to action economy are massive, and it’s the best early lvl mistake eraser that I know about.

The two of them together basically makes the party unkillable.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hael View Post
    They’re similar lvls of broke. That lvl 6 ability is completely bonkers and might be one of the strongest party abilities in all of 5e. It’s a free proficiency number of teleports, free disengage, and the best scaling damage mitigation tool. It’s also free movement and allows almost perfect battlefield control and setup

The gains to action economy are massive, and it’s the best early lvl mistake eraser that I know about.

Okay, I'm sorry, how is teleporting to intercept an attack within 30 ft and take full damage from it even all that good, let alone broken?

It is a once per turn, get out of position and take a hit. Very good for spreading damage around the party sure, but the wizard sure isn't going to want to teleport next to an enemy to take 30 damage and potentially lose concentration on their spell.

And the barbarian teleporting back to protect the wizard is great, but anything the barbarian was engaged with is now free to run away or dogpile the other party members.

What am I missing here?

11. - Top - End - #11

They do synergize well, but Twilight without Peace is stronger than Peace without Twilight. It's not a free teleport, it's teleport-toward-damage as a reaction. Not that easy to use well unless you've got a constantly-renewing supply of temporary HP, e.g. Protector turret or Aura of Vitality.

Twilight cleric also gets Aura of Vitality to boot, plus Warding Bond, so even if someone does take actual damage during combat they can cheaply heal them up afterward.

Peace's saving throw/etc. bonus is nice, but small unless you also stack on Bless, which takes two rounds and concentration. I think it's less OP than Twilight's heavy armor/flying/grantable 300' darkvision/initiative advantage/fear and charm dispel/etc., not to mention access to both Greater Invisibility and Circle of Power.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-11-29 at 02:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

I guess we’ll see. He acknowledged that your opinion is the most popular one right now.

Time and gameplay will tell.

Both are possibly broken. But peace’s level 6 is flat out insane.
    Last edited by CMCC; 2020-11-29 at 03:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
    Okay, I'm sorry, how is teleporting to intercept an attack within 30 ft and take full damage from it even all that good, let alone broken?

It is a once per turn, get out of position and take a hit. Very good for spreading damage around the party sure, but the wizard sure isn't going to want to teleport next to an enemy to take 30 damage and potentially lose concentration on their spell.

And the barbarian teleporting back to protect the wizard is great, but anything the barbarian was engaged with is now free to run away or dogpile the other party members.

What am I missing here?
    Amongst other things it can be summons that take the teleport and hit. So that’s proficiency times per turn that you avoid a big hit. It gets ridiculous when things are hitting for 60 and your cr1/4 creature tanks the blow. More than that, it completely allows perfect positioning every turn. Your two dim witted fighters get caught in quicksand? No problem, just tap your cleric and they’re both back.
    You have a five foot range of a teleport so you can always guarantee tanks in front, squishies in the rear... every. Single.. turn. Any mistake or ambush is almost completely trivialized, and it allows for some pretty crazy turns (like fighter dives behind enemy lines to kill something, next initiative, familiar taps the cleric and brings him back to safety)

And the spreading out of damage is a very big deal.. it enables auras to have significantly more effective healing.

We’re pretty heavy on the war gaming in our group, and this just seems like it puts things on training wheels.. It will be almost assuredly banned.

14. - Top - End - #14

You have a five foot range of a teleport so you can always guarantee tanks in front, squishies in the rear... every. Single.. turn.
    Hang on now. You can only teleport to an unoccupied space, and if a melee monster hit a backliner you may not even have a frontline space to teleport into--even if you do, the original target is still on the front line too, possibly about to take another attack from Multiattack. It doesn't let you trade places, and if you're reliant on your reaction for defense (e.g. Uncanny Dodge, Defensive Duelist, Shield, Absorb Elements) you're squishier than normal now, and less sticky too since you have no opportunity attack left. (No Sentinel for you!)

As for summons taking damage, well, easier said than done until your proficiency bonus is pretty high. And once they're dead they're dead so it's less "block PB-1 attacks per turn" and more "block PB-1 attacks per fight", if you're maxing out with PB-1 squishy summons, and only if no one AoEs them, which is always the bane of summons. I expect this tactic to be rare in practice before Tier 4ish because PCs will want the bonus instead.

15. - Top - End - #15

Hang on now. You can only teleport to an unoccupied space, and if a melee monster hit a backliner you may not even have a frontline space to teleport into--even if you do, the original target is still on the front line too, possibly about to take another attack from Multiattack. It doesn't let you trade places, and if you're reliant on your reaction for defense (e.g. Uncanny Dodge, Defensive Duelist, Shield, Absorb Elements) you're squishier than normal now, and less sticky too since you have no opportunity attack left. (No Sentinel for you!)

As for summons taking damage, well, easier said than done until your proficiency bonus is pretty high. And once they're dead they're dead so it's less "block PB-1 attacks per turn" and more "block PB-1 attacks per fight", if you're maxing out with PB-1 squishy summons, and only if no one AoEs them, which is always the bane of summons. I expect this tactic to be rare in practice before Tier 4ish because PCs will want the bonus instead.
    You are in a big room and your warlock gets surprised by a bunch of monsters that turned the corner (or were revealed). He’s now in a world of trouble, surrounded and about to be eaten and no one is close to him. I would say, rather than using the barbarians (who is 30 feet away) reaction to take one of the hits, it’s better for the familiar to punch the barbarian and have the warlockuse his reaction to take the familiars hit.

This is effectively like a proficiency times per turn misty step reaction. Now your squad is in a perfect position to deal with the threat. Of course, you could choose to put the barbarian or a summon right on top of the enemy as well.

Again the effective amount of damage mitigation per turn is huge and the amount of situations that can party wipe are massively diminished. You basically only screw up if you all clump together and get surrounded. Even then you can have your party teleport out of there one by one by sending your invisible bonded imp to go smack his head against a wall 30 feet away across the canyon.

And as I said, this at the very least gives a useful reaction and there are many classes that don’t get many options there.
    Last edited by Hael; 2020-11-29 at 05:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

You are in a big room and your warlock gets surprised by a bunch of monsters that turned the corner (or were revealed). He’s now in a world of trouble, surrounded and about to be eaten and no one is close to him. I would say, rather than using the barbarians (who is 30 feet away) reaction to take one of the hits, it’s better for the familiar to punch the barbarian and have the warlockuse his reaction to take the familiars hit.

This is effectively like a proficiency times per turn misty step reaction. Now your squad is in a perfect position to deal with the threat. Of course, you could choose to put the barbarian or a summon right on top of the enemy as well.

Again the effective amount of damage mitigation per turn is huge and the amount of situations that can party wipe are massively diminished. You basically only screw up if you all clump together and get surrounded. Even then you can have your party teleport out of there one by one by sending your invisible bonded imp to go smack his head against a wall 30 feet away across the canyon.

And as I said, this at the very least gives a useful reaction and there are many classes that don’t get many options there.
    While all this sounds nice in theory, in practice its another matter entirely. First of all as mention before you can only affect "proficency" amount of creatures. This negates this significantly, especially if you plan on using it on a summon or familiar. If you have a party of 5 and a proficency of 3 and you plan on using it on a familiar, then you can only affect 2 party members maximum. That is less than half the party and your so-called warlock probably dont even have the buff at all, meaning your familiar wont teleport to take the damage and your group cant reposition themselves as they want.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Swosh View Post
    While all this sounds nice in theory, in practice its another matter entirely. First of all as mention before you can only affect "proficency" amount of creatures. This negates this significantly, especially if you plan on using it on a summon or familiar. If you have a party of 5 and a proficency of 3 and you plan on using it on a familiar, then you can only affect 2 party members maximum. That is less than half the party and your so-called warlock probably dont even have the buff at all, meaning your familiar wont teleport to take the damage and your group cant reposition themselves as they want.
    The point is you can choose. You could pick say two squishies and the barbarian, and use the barb as a meat shield and indeed that’s probably what a lot of parties will pick. Alternatively you might choose two squishies and the invisible flying familiar, the latter of which goes around and occasionally touches a torch to give useful reaction escapes. Or maybe you give it to the 3 melee guys who can teleport around the back lines and gang up on people in hard terrain as well as splitting up the damage and avoiding focus fire.

The point is, it allows crazy strong battlefield and tactical control, and yes it gets more and more crazy as the proficiency goes up.
    Last edited by Hael; 2020-11-29 at 06:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

The super-bless Bond effect is also limited to a number of targets equal to your Proficiency Bonus (PB). That means you are level 9 before you can bond the standard 4 character party. A well structured party will be able to make a lot of use out of that level six 'Misty Step' power. For most groups though I think it will just be free movement for a party Tank to get to monsters they were not otherwise able to contain.

I would agree is looks like one of the best picks for a multi-class dip. Medium Armoured Peace Bards here we come! The fact you can stack with Guidance for +2d4 on skill checks is likely better than Knowledge giving double expertise.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyracian View Post
    The super-bless Bond effect is also limited to a number of targets equal to your Proficiency Bonus (PB). That means you are level 9 before you can bond the standard 4 character party. A well structured party will be able to make a lot of use out of that level six 'Misty Step' power. For most groups though I think it will just be free movement for a party Tank to get to monsters they were not otherwise able to contain.

I would agree is looks like one of the best picks for a multi-class dip. Medium Armoured Peace Bards here we come! The fact you can stack with Guidance for +2d4 on skill checks is likely better than Knowledge giving double expertise.
    Definitely good on a Bard. I’ve been trying to kick around where the dip could be beneficial on a class without something better to do with their concentration but I haven’t come up with much.

20. - Top - End - #20

This is effectively like a proficiency times per turn misty step reaction. Now your squad is in a perfect position to deal with the threat.
    Sure, sounds great. Except... has the peace cleric even put up the bond? Moreover, if the warlock is indeed surprised in 5E terms he doesn't have a reaction to use. And familiars can't attack except by a warlock spending an action or bonus action, which can't happen if the warlock is surprised, and if he's not surprised and he wins initiative what's stopping him from casting Misty Step or even just Disengaging away? And if the warlock was concentrating on something, he just took damage so still has to make a concentration save.

I can see your general point--you can damage your allies to let squishies teleport toward _that_ damage instead of other damage that you fear more--but the details make it hard to give examples where that tactic is actually useful. You need a surprised-but-not-too-surprised squishy warlock, an ally within 30' of the warlock who wins initiative and is willing to attack another ally or himself, deadly monsters who nevertheless don't have high movement or ranged attacks, and a Peace Cleric who's created a bond in the past ten minutes.

IMO that's not overpowered on the same level as Twilight Cleric's heavy armor and martial weapons, terrific domain spells (Faerie Fire, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Greater Invisibility, Mislead, and especially Aura of Vitality, Aura of Life, and Circle of Power), 300' grantable darkvision, grantable initiative advantage, flight, and bountiful temp HP Channel Divinity which synergizes amazingly with Aura of Life and Aura of Vitality. (Aura of Life + Vigilant Blessing = 0 HP creatures regain 1 HP when starting their turn and then get d6+LVL temp HP at the end of their turn to keep them up.)

In fact, with Warding Bond + Vigilant Blessing up that warlock might not have needed to flee in the first place.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-11-29 at 01:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueKnightGuy

IMO that's not overpowered on the same level as Twilight Cleric.
    But you agree it’s overpowered?

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by CMCC View Post
    But you agree it’s overpowered?
    The Tasha's clerics are definitely head-and - shoulders above the other clerics, and yes, that makes them overpowered for clerics: they will change the metagame around clerics. (Ditto Tasha's Sorcerers, and Xanathar's Hexblade.)

Overpowered in the larger context? Hard to say without comparing it to something. It's less overpowered than Simulacrum, Wish, or Shepherd Druid. More overpowered than Tempest Cleric or Sharpshooter. Perhaps more overpowered than Hexblade as a dip.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

The Tasha's clerics are definitely head-and - shoulders above the other clerics, and yes, that makes them overpowered for clerics: they will change the metagame around clerics. (Ditto Tasha's Sorcerers, and Xanathar's Hexblade.)

Overpowered in the larger context? Hard to say without comparing it to something. It's less overpowered than Simulacrum, Wish, or Shepherd Druid. More overpowered than Tempest Cleric or Sharpshooter. Perhaps more overpowered than Hexblade as a dip.
    Ok I think that’s a completely fair take.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

I feel like I'm missing something here...

Emboldening Bond: This is a nice ability, but the scaling with proficiency bonus is so heavy that you'd be better off just casting Bless at the very least until tier 2 (and I don't think it would get particularly good until you can get the entire party bonded up, which is dependent on how large your particular party is).

Balm of Peace: This starts off strong and just steadily gets worse as it has absolutely no scaling outside of maxing your Wis modifier. Great if you have multiple team mates down, but you're limited by your speed and starting position and besides potentially getting you into a better position at the end of it, you're worse off than using a Life Cleric's ability for a lot of your career (yes you can heal over half, it's still 2d6+Wis range of touch). Strong tier 1 and half of tier 2, meh the rest of the time unless you are frequently low on slots.

Protective Bond: Being able to spread damage around can be nice, it'd be nicer to not take the damage period and at the end of the day this ability is relying on too much: 1) you need your bond up 2) A party member that's a more suitable target needs to have their reaction 3) That PC (and player) need to be willing to eat damage intended for someone else. Then when all is said and done that PC is then in the firing line without their reaction available. I'd be more interested if this let bonded creatures spend their reaction to reduce damage by an amount.

Expansive Bond: Double range and resistance to the triggering damage with a prof bonus worth a damn for this ability, this is more like it but resistances don't stack and it's coming in at 17th level, meh.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, I'm going to break this apart a bit. (Edit: Seems a lot of these points were addressed already)

Amongst other things it can be summons that take the teleport and hit. So that’s proficiency times per turn that you avoid a big hit. It gets ridiculous when things are hitting for 60 and your cr1/4 creature tanks the blow.
    A few notes with this.

1) Clerics have no ability to summon any allies before level 9 (the new summon Celestial Spirit spell) or is they use Animate Dead to create Zombies and Skeletons. Meaning that this is a combo of a cleric and another class who has used a summoning spell generally, using up their concentration. Good? Yes. But not a guaranteed aspect of the Domain.

2) You only get to choose a number of creatures equal to your Prof bonus to bond. By level 6, that is three. So, if you want to bond the barbarian and two summoned creatures, then you are limiting the usage of the d4's to all the attacks, skills and saves.

3) This bond only lasts ten minutes, limiting your ability to summon creatures and bond them to the allies you want to protect if you want to do this before the fight.

So, is this useful? Sure, if you have someone that can summon allies, and get them summoned, and get the bond in place limiting only to a single target and a bunch of throw away targets to quickly chew through the bond until it is no longer giving the bonus to hit and saves... but that doesn't seem OP to me.

More than that, it completely allows perfect positioning every turn. Your two dim witted fighters get caught in quicksand? No problem, just tap your cleric and they’re both back.
    Perfect positioning every turn is not what this is. This is teleporting out of position to get hit in the face.

Also, I am not convinced of the utility of causing damage to my allies just to get someone out of a trap slightly faster. Especially since if they have the bond already, they are getting a 1d4 to rolls to avoid and escape anyways.

Sure, maybe you are in a combat and it makes more sense to waste two actions (or a single action if the person has two attacks) to cause damage to your own team to teleport your fighters out of some dangerous terrain, but that seems niche at best.

You have a five foot range of a teleport so you can always guarantee tanks in front, squishies in the rear... every. Single.. turn. Any mistake or ambush is almost completely trivialized, and it allows for some pretty crazy turns (like fighter dives behind enemy lines to kill something, next initiative, familiar taps the cleric and brings him back to safety)
    1) Familiars can't attack, unless you are a warlock pact of the chain. So you are requiring an ally to waste an attack on a party member, damaging the fighter.

2) Again, the bond only lasts 10 minutes, so you activated it, and were ambushed in a very small window of time.

3) The teleport only happens if the other bonded individual would take damage. So, you can't teleport every single round. And even if you do teleport and take an attack for the squishy, you can't occupy the same space as the attacker, so at best you are beside the enemy that is threatening the squishy target, waiting for your turn, and leaving a hole where your fighter used to be.

4) What happens when the enemy targets the fighter? Does the squishy mage teleport closer to danger to take a blow meant for the tank? And remember, you've only got three people you can bond. So squishy, fighter and one more.

And the spreading out of damage is a very big deal.. it enables auras to have significantly more effective healing.
    Sure, this can be useful, but there is very little wide healing in the game. And something like Aura of Life is actually better used on a single target who is taking all the damage, so spreading the damage actually makes it less effective.

We’re pretty heavy on the war gaming in our group, and this just seems like it puts things on training wheels.. It will be almost assuredly banned.
    Ban it if you want, but I think you are far far overestimating the use cases for this teleport. These sort of optimal moments just do not happen with regularity where the best move is to self-harm to teleport a heavy hitter back away from the enemy.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmancer View Post
    Sure, this can be useful, but there is very little wide healing in the game. And something like Aura of Life is actually better used on a single target who is taking all the damage, so spreading the damage actually makes it less effective.
    BTW, wide healing is why the Twilight + Peace and Twilight + Warding Bond combos are so effective, especially since Twilight Cleric also has deep healing (Aura of Vitality).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BTW, wide healing is why the Twilight + Peace and Twilight + Warding Bond combos are so effective, especially since Twilight Cleric also has deep healing (Aura of Vitality).
    Aura of Vitality is on the expanded list of spells in Tasha's for Clerics, so every Cleric gets it. That's not to say Twilight isn't strong otherwise, but that particular spell being on their list doesn't contribute to their strength.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you wanted to wide heal, you'd probably be better off pairing a Twilight Cleric with a Shepherd Druid (Unicorn).
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

29. - Top - End - #29

I would say the CD is the weak point for peace. I would definitely take the alternative spell slot recovery over the price is right high five healing.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Protective Bond: Being able to spread damage around can be nice, it'd be nicer to not take the damage period and at the end of the day this ability is relying on too much: 1) you need your bond up 2) A party member that's a more suitable target needs to have their reaction 3) That PC (and player) need to be willing to eat damage intended for someone else. Then when all is said and done that PC is then in the firing line without their reaction available. I'd be more interested if this let bonded creatures spend their reaction to reduce damage by an amount.
    This ability is pretty decent alone. Warding Bond is a spell I use a lot, especially on mounted builds. But you know what would make it super good? The Twilight Cleric's ability to give their level in THP to each member on your team every round.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.