New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Home base allies

Not gonna lie i mostly wanted to brag about this gaggle of skeletons i came up with, BUT i'd love to hear about the NPCs you put in the home-bases of your worlds!

So some background for this: i've got a graph paper composition book where i draw out a bunch of buildings that players could use as home bases, like a necromancer's cleared out mansion, a modular building of tetris block rooms that can be rearranged, an aztec style pyramid, etc. And in each I (usually) create an NPC or a handful of them that act as hired help, henchmen and the like. My most recent addition is the espada island and fort knifepoint, a small island shaped like a sword and the pirate stronghold it was famous for, respectively. And for this fortress i have prepared a gaggle of skeletons for pirate themed non-sense:

>Captain No-body; demilich with tricorn and eye-patch, has a huge power complex over his "crew"

>Sternum; missing his sternum (there's gonna be a theme here) which has been replaced with a 2x4, neat freak, can't stop fussing over the angle pictures are hanging at and closing doors.

>Femur: technically missing their tibula and fibula, (captain No-body doesn't know anatomy that well.) Has a peg leg that can be heard clunking down the halls from 100 feet away. Likes dressing up in both male and female finery, kind of dramatic.

>Patella; kneecap replaced with jiggly doorknob, cardshark always looking for a game, has a jiggly knee tell that is amplified by his prosthetic.

>phelange: hook-hand made of 7 coat-hangers, plays piano, tends to appear behind people suddenly. Helpful.

>Breaks Mcgee: not missing any parts but has a habit of collapsing into a bone pile, often as they start going down stairs or while carrying things. forgets doors are a thing often-times, too. Tilts paintings to annoy Sternum.

Do you have home bases in your game? If so do you give them characters to flesh them out and engage your players?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Home base allies

The Druid of Smallwood lives in a densely wooded valley in The Badlands. The Badlands are populated with monsters and humanoid tribes, many of whom are displaced by the expansion of humanity.

Athan Oakheart is an aged gnome druid who has excavated, with the help of his badger friends, a series of interconnected chambers beneath some of the larger oak trees, creating a sprawling and mostly empty mansion. It has a musky smell and things left untended tend to get rifled by hungry or curious badgers, but the tribes and monsters tend to avoid the five square mile valley, and any who do come looking will have a hard time finding one of the concealed stronghold's entrances.