New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Ocean domain (A cleric Subclass)

Ocean domain
    Ocean domain clerics are clerics who worship the gods of the seas. They often wear jewelry made of shells or pearls.

Expanded spell list
    You gain the following spells at their respective levels:

Cleric level - Spells
    1st - Fog cloud, Create/destroy water
    3rd - Darkness, Summon beast (Tasha’s cauldron of everything, Water only)
    5th - Tidal wave (XGE), Call lightning
    7th - Storm sphere (XGE), Summon elemental (Tasha’s cauldron of everything, Water only)
    9th level - Maelstrom (XGE), Conjure elemental (Water only)

Ocean adept
    Starting at the 1st level, you gain a swimming speed of 40 feet and you can gain the ability to breathe underwater. In addition you learn the speak with animals spell but can only cast it on beasts with an innate swimming speed.

Ocean’s guard
    Starting at the 1st level, you gain proficiency in tridents as well as hand and heavy crossbows. You also gain proficiency in shields and learn the aquan language.

Channel divinity: Beast from the abyss
    Starting at the 2nd level, you can use an action to conjure 2 barbed tentacles from a powerful squid on 2 unoccupied spaces within 60 feet of yourself. On your turn you can use a bonus action to command both barbed tentacles to lash at creatures within 15 feet of each tentacle. Make a melee spell attack against the targets of your barbed tentacles. On a hit each target takes 1d8 + your wisdom modifier piercing damage and is grappled by the tentacles moving to a space within 5 feet of the tentacles. The escape dc is equal to your spellcasting saving throw. These tentacles disappear after 1 minute.

Ocean’s blessing
    Starting at the 6th level, when you restore hp to a creature with a spell, they gain the next attack they make deals an additional 1d8 lightning damage.
    Starting at the 14th level, the extra lightning damage deals an additional 1d8 damage (for 2d8 damage).

Reel them in
    Starting at the 8th level, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, or you cast a spell of 1st level or higher on them, you may use a bonus action to pull the creature 20 feet towards you. If the target is unwilling they must make a strength saving throw against your spell save dc to not be pulled.

Oceanic divide
    Starting at the 17th level, as an action you can turn the ground beneath you temporarily to water. Every piece of land and terrain based plantlife in a 100 foot sphere centered on you turns to saltwater for 1 hour or until you dispel it. After the duration all land returns to normal as it was, just before it changed to water.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Ocean domain (A cleric Subclass)

A few things:

1. I’m pretty sure it’s in bad taste to start so many topics in short succession

2. Regarding the expanded spell list, I’d get rid of some of the stormier spells so you can distinguish this from the Tempest domain. I’d replace call lightning with wall of water from EEPC/Xanathar’s, and storm sphere with watery sphere from the same source. I’d also get rid of darkness in favor of one of the following: blur, mirror image, misty step, or even moonbeam as a reference to the moon creating tides.

3. I’d add nets to the bonus proficiencies. I’d also give them a bonus cantrip in shape water.

4. I feel like the Channel Divinity is a little too similar to the Fathomless Warlock’s Level 1 feature. It’s also significantly more powerful, though that might be justified by being a more limited resource.

5. I think you’re a little confused as to when clerics get Divine Strike; they get it at level 8, not level 6. Additionally, I’d recommend cold damage over lightning.

Other than that, I think there’s a solid foundation here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post

4. I feel like the Channel Divinity is a little too similar to the Fathomless Warlock’s Level 1 feature. It’s also significantly more powerful, though that might be justified by being a more limited resource.

5. I think you’re a little confused as to when clerics get Divine Strike; they get it at level 8, not level 6. Additionally, I’d recommend cold damage over lightning.
    Two things

That's totally fair with the whole too similar, I will change that for sure.

Also it's not the same thing as divine strike, you basically cause another creature to deal the damage with their next attack when you give them hp. Though it would make way more sense to swap the damage types to be honest.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by mcumoric View Post
    Two things

That's totally fair with the whole too similar, I will change that for sure.

Also it's not the same thing as divine strike, you basically cause another creature to deal the damage with their next attack when you give them hp. Though it would make way more sense to swap the damage types to be honest.
    Whoops, missed the distinction. Sorry! That being said, I would still move it to Level 8 because it’s so similar to Divine Strike.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    Whoops, missed the distinction. Sorry! That being said, I would still move it to Level 8 because it’s so similar to Divine Strike.
    Hey I made a revised version based on your suggestions thanks for the input!