New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default 5TH level Healer Help

I am wanting to play a healer Abit one that can take care of himself. I want Strong and Versatile Healing. Multi classing is ok

Race unsure

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Thumbs up Re: 5TH level Healer Help

I always love a good celestial chainlock. Take investment of the chain master and gift of the ever living one, in addition to one other invocation of your choice (devil's sight, miety visions, agonizing blast are all good).

If you are a Vuman, or don't have TOO many high AC enemies, get yourself the inspiring leader feat.

Pick up cure wounds, and now you can dish out heals as an action OR a bonus action, and also give people pre-combat temp hp. Cure wounds gets very good benefits from warlock's upcasting, and the scouting abilities of a familiar + natural abilities at being a face (picking up persuasion somehow is advisable) makes it so you always got something to do, even out of combat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: 5TH level Healer Help

I do always seem to gravitate towards classes that have some healing capability.

Anything with healing word is going to be able to pick people off the ground and attack on the same turn which can be "just what the healer ordered," but it is more of an emergency button all things told, not good for out of combat healing.

The real question is how much are you going to focus on the healer role, and how dangerous is the campaign?

Celestial warlock and dreams druid give options for small heals that aren't spells so can be used at the same time. Paladin can distribute exactly how much they want to negating the concern of overhealing.

Thiefs with the healer feat are surprisingly potent for light adventuring days.

But if you want to really double down on the healing bit,

Vhuman shepard druid 3, life cleric 2 with the healer feat.

Life cleric boosted goodberries for 40 out of combat healing per 1st level spell slot, 2nd level healing spirit for 1d6+4 per round, per target, (some DMs call cheese) channel divinity preserve life for when stuff hits the fan. Pre-buff with bear spirit, or turn a cure wounds into a full party wake up call with unicorn spirit. (Also works with healing word if you already set out a unicorn spirit)

And when you run out of spell slots, you still have dirt cheap healers kits.

I ran this build at higher levels, and The DM once admitted that some of the encounters he threw together he didn't bother considering balance because we kept chugging through several deadly x5 encounters in a row.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Just build a straight classed Cleric. Look over the domains and pick the one that best interests you. I like Tempest the best.

5e Clerics are great.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Danielqueue1 View Post
    I do always seem to gravitate towards classes that have some healing capability.

Anything with healing word is going to be able to pick people off the ground and attack on the same turn which can be "just what the healer ordered," but it is more of an emergency button all things told, not good for out of combat healing.

The real question is how much are you going to focus on the healer role, and how dangerous is the campaign?

Celestial warlock and dreams druid give options for small heals that aren't spells so can be used at the same time. Paladin can distribute exactly how much they want to negating the concern of overhealing.

Thiefs with the healer feat are surprisingly potent for light adventuring days.

But if you want to really double down on the healing bit,

Vhuman shepard druid 3, life cleric 2 with the healer feat.

Life cleric boosted goodberries for 40 out of combat healing per 1st level spell slot, 2nd level healing spirit for 1d6+4 per round, per target, (some DMs call cheese) channel divinity preserve life for when stuff hits the fan. Pre-buff with bear spirit, or turn a cure wounds into a full party wake up call with unicorn spirit. (Also works with healing word if you already set out a unicorn spirit)

And when you run out of spell slots, you still have dirt cheap healers kits.

I ran this build at higher levels, and The DM once admitted that some of the encounters he threw together he didn't bother considering balance because we kept chugging through several deadly x5 encounters in a row.
    Sorry I may have missed it but what feat do I take with my variant human bonus

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

What kind of healer do you want to be? Do you just want the most bulk recovery potential or do you want to have less but more focused recovery when you need it?
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Nosta View Post
    Sorry I may have missed it but what feat do I take with my variant human bonus
    Why the healer feat of course!

works well for if you run out of spell slots, or to double down in a bad spot. Action healers kit, bonus action healing word or healing spirit. sometimes getting a second person off the ground is worth more than an attack anyway.

(for those who are not familiar, if you cast a spell as a bonus action, you cannot also cast a spell of first level or higher as an action in the same turn. so healing word and cure wounds can't be cast on the same turn)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Bang for your buck at 5th level:

Variant Human (Healer Feat)

Celestial Warlock 4 (Tome or Chain)

Life Cleric 1

Obviously dependent on how regularly you can get short rests, but you have a large pool of long rest healing supplemented by short rest, with utility and combat coming from a bunch of cantrips and invocations.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Anecdote; using the druid cleric multiclass at high level, we once needed to get into a city that was besieged by the undead. The DM dropped hints about a secret entrance that would let us bypass the siege and join the defenders within. We decided to break through the siege and go through the front doors, because it would be more convenient. The DM put down a Wall of various undead from lowly zombies to various incorporeal kinds, to homebrewed giant undead. Wizard set up wall of force to funnel the undead so that we wouldn't get surrounded, Barbarian face-tanked the choke point, Simulacrum popped up a Beacon of hope to max healing, then between a 7th level healing spirit (45 HP per round per target), unicorn spirit to trickle heal AE damage with cure wounds etc, then action and bonus action healing, (cure wounds then move healing spirit, or mass healing word and healer's kit, etc.) We chugged out around 150 points of healing per round. It helped that the Kensei monk bonus action disengaged, and ran through the healing spirit just about any time they took more than scratch damage.

After all the undead were cleared (the fight lasted the entire session) Everyone was at full health. The DM said the defenders decided that even though they were ordered to not let anything in, they felt they couldn't stop us if they wanted to and just opened the gates for us to walk in.

Some of the most fun I've ever had as a healer.

(and for anyone asking why didn't the intelligent undead break the healer's concentration? The DM tried to have the undead leadership do just that, but the healer stayed behind the Wizard's Wall of force unless popping out to heal the barbarian then popping back, and anyone who tried to get around the wall got a kensei monk to the face.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

What spells would you recommend for me?

11. - Top - End - #11

RedKnightGirl

Anecdote; using the druid cleric multiclass at high level, we once needed to get into a city that was besieged by the undead. The DM dropped hints about a secret entrance that would let us bypass the siege and join the defenders within. We decided to break through the siege and go through the front doors, because it would be more convenient. The DM put down a Wall of various undead from lowly zombies to various incorporeal kinds, to homebrewed giant undead. Wizard set up wall of force to funnel the undead so that we wouldn't get surrounded, Barbarian face-tanked the choke point, Simulacrum popped up a Beacon of hope to max healing, then between a 7th level healing spirit (45 HP per round per target), unicorn spirit to trickle heal AE damage with cure wounds etc, then action and bonus action healing, (cure wounds then move healing spirit, or mass healing word and healer's kit, etc.) We chugged out around 150 points of healing per round. It helped that the Kensei monk bonus action disengaged, and ran through the healing spirit just about any time they took more than scratch damage.

After all the undead were cleared (the fight lasted the entire session) Everyone was at full health. The DM said the defenders decided that even though they were ordered to not let anything in, they felt they couldn't stop us if they wanted to and just opened the gates for us to walk in.

Some of the most fun I've ever had as a healer.

(and for anyone asking why didn't the intelligent undead break the healer's concentration? The DM tried to have the undead leadership do just that, but the healer stayed behind the Wizard's Wall of force unless popping out to heal the barbarian then popping back, and anyone who tried to get around the wall got a kensei monk to the face.
    What spells would you recommend at.my.level.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I am wanting to play a healer Abit one that can take care of himself. I want Strong and Versatile Healing. Multi classing is ok

Race unsure
    The main thing you want is at least 1 level of Life Cleric and access to Goodberry (e.g. Druid Magic Initiate, or just be a Druid). Then you will have essentially infinite healing at no cost of slots (because every night before your long rest, you dump all remaining spell slots into Goodberries which last 24 hours, whereas you get all your slots back 8 hours later).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

What spells would you recommend at.my.level.
    Assuming 16 wis, and the multiclass I mentioned, you have, 6 druid spells and 5 cleric spells +cantrips

Cure wounds and bless are free from life cleric,
    You will want goodberry, healing spirit and lesser restoration from Druid, your choice if you want healing word. Other than that, have fun with it. Pick some offense spells and some utility.

14. - Top - End - #14

Big Damn Heals (that are also good at lots of other things) builds:

Life Cleric 20
    Life Cleric 1 / Wizard X (with the Jorasco Halfling race)
    Life Cleric 1 / Lore Bard X (picking up something like Aura of Vitality or Healing Spirit from Secrets).
    Life Cleric 1 / Druid X
    Life Cleric 1 / Divine Soul Sorcerer X (with Extend Spell and Aura of Vitality)
    Twilight Cleric 20
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

2nd level healing spirit for 1d6+4 per round, per target, (some DMs call cheese)
    And the errata makes it considerably worse, and stops effective conga lines: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/d...GtE-Errata.pdf

Post errata the best use I've made of it was to cast it on our Party's unconscious Paladin's location, when he was behind enemy lines and surrounded. As it heals at the start of the Paladin's turn, 4 rounds of Spirit picks him up, Paladin takes his actions, Enemy knocks him down again etc. Kept him both alive and functional.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Grave cleric is a great healer.
    It is so great that sometimes it os better to stab your friends to death before casting a healing spell.
    Live cleric is also a good one.

Life cleric1/shepherd (or dreams) ceric X is a good healing multiclass.
    Use all your spell slots for goodberry before taking a long rest as they have 24h duration.

Use healing spirit for healing a lot of health.
    Focus on wis to get more out of healing spirit.

17. - Top - End - #17

How bout a helping healer?
    V Human (inspiring leader)
    Cha+ lv of THP every S/L rest

Bump str/con/Cha

Glory Paladin 5

Lay on hands- deep pool of HP to pop up anyone who goes down.

Interception fighting style- reaction to reduce the damage of an attack on an ally within 5ft by 1d10 +proficiency bonus.

inspiring smite- you smite and as a bonus action you can customize a THP spread of 2d8+ lv to anyone within 30ft. Recharge S rest. Think of it like a reaction cure wounds.

Spells- all the good ones if you really need them.

With this you are a respectable healer and provide a nice sized blanket of THP while simultaneously having all the goodies of a paladin.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    And the errata makes it considerably worse, and stops effective conga lines: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/d...GtE-Errata.pdf

Post errata the best use I've made of it was to cast it on our Party's unconscious Paladin's location, when he was behind enemy lines and surrounded. As it heals at the start of the Paladin's turn, 4 rounds of Spirit picks him up, Paladin takes his actions, Enemy knocks him down again etc. Kept him both alive and functional.
    CURSE YOU ERRATA!!! *shakes fist at sky*