New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default (OOC) HtV STL By Night

Welcome to the OOC thread for "St. Louis by Night", a Chronicles of Darkness/Hunter the Vigil 2E game.

The IC thread link is here

As it is developed, I will use this post to start describing the basic setting of STL. I will go into detail regarding the major districts, and will describe specific important locations, unique to these areas.

Please post your character sheets and background information in your first post!
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-10-06 at 05:22 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (OOC) HtV STL By Night

Important Locations

St. Louis

Salem
    -The Illuminated Church of Saint George: Located on Main Street in the heart of Salem, The Church is the main base for the Brotherhood of Mather. Built in an early gothic fashion, it is all washed grey stone, round arched windows and crimson sparkling stained glass. Behind the rectory, the Brotherhood has set up several training rooms, and studies where the y gather information and plan their war against The Wytch.

Lychtwood
    -Black Raven's Lake: Located near the middle of the park, the lake is a relatively massive body of water (nearly 10 miles in diameter) perfect for fishing. It's waters are a reflective green. It likely got it's name as as from above the lake has a shape like a bird's head and beak viewed from the side; like a crescent feeding into a round basin.

-Blackstone Rock: Located about 2 miles Northwest of the lake, the large hill or small mountain is a jagged rocky formation of dark grey stone. Jen and Frank were almost shot by a reckless hunter on their way to the rock.

-The Crone: The Crone is an ancient grandfather oak tree estimated to almost be a thousand feet tall. The massive tree seems to be home to every crow in the forest. It is a towering moss covered explosion of bark and branches, fingers as thick as a man's torso sprouting out in all directions. Apparently, it is common for the locals of Salem to leave small animals as offerings to The Wytch at the base of the Crone, believing that The Wytch may actually live within its trunk.

-The impossible Island: The Wytch was apparently locked away on an island created by the many rivers deep within the woods of Lytchwood Park. Jen and Frank stumbled upon the island completely by accident. Once on the island, everything else seems to bleed away, and the surreal space seems to swallow up all noise and light. Many of the trees on the island have poppets made of twig and twine tied to their branches. The forest floor on the island is practically covered in tiny milky mushrooms and the scattered bones of small animals.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-11-07 at 11:47 AM.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Character Boxes
    Spoiler: Jennifer Gibbs
    Show
    Health: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    Willpower 5/5
    Morality: 7
    Beats/Exp: 3/3
    Spent XP:
    Tilts/Conditions:

Aspiration:
    1. Help the brotherhood find a new purpose, with a view towards becoming a more influential member.
    2. Learn how to drive and buy a car, for freedom
    3. Help Seth with his 'problem'

Spoiler: Frank Daughtridge
    Show
    Health: [][][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    Willpower 4/6
    Morality: 7
    Beats/Exp: 4/5
    Spent XP:
    Tilts/Conditions:

Aspiration:
    -Build a cover as an EMT to make it easier to justify his double life as a Hunter
    -Land something big for the business
    -Find a reliable source of information who can educate Frank on the World of Darkness

Shared Aspirations
    -Find out what is chasing Seth
    -Find out about Hunter Society and decide whether or not you want to join "the vigil"
    -Find out more about "The Connection"

Shared Resources
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2024-01-01 at 07:29 PM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

NPC List

The Naive
    #Caitlyn: Jen's touchstone, and friend since early childhood. Though Caitlyn lost touch with Jennifer while Jen was in the military and Caitlyn started her new life, the two have recently reconnected. Caitlyn married a man named Gregory, who was controlling and abusive and whom she eventually divorced. As the relationship soured, Caitlyn reconnected with Jen, using her best friend as a shoulder to lean on during the tough times. She came out ahead in the divorce because of a few dirty tricks she and her lawyer cooked up but she justified it by rationalizing she gave some of the best years of her life to her ex and it was only fair she got her fair share. Now she works a help desk but her income is supplemented by alimony payments so she's solidly middle class. She is selfish and materialistic, and has no issue telling small or even moderate lies to get what she wants. The ends justify the means in her mind, so long as the ends benefit her in some way. She would actually be well suited for a sales role if she could break into the field. Despite her lack of scruples, she has a few close friends (including Jen) she is loyal to and (probably) won’t betray. She is brunette but dyes her hair blonde. She’s of slightly below average height and weight and uses her unimposing appearance to her advantage.

#Marissa and Rachel: Frank's daughters and Touchstone. Marissa is quite, extroverted, cheerful and exuberant. She is adamant that she is going to be a singer one day, and spends much of her free time singing and dancing to her favorite music. She makes friends with just about everyone, cheerfully chatting with people she just met. Her younger sibling is considerably more quiet. Rachel is more than content to let her sister get all the attention while she reads a book or plays in the corner. She just might be the smartest one in the family, learning very quickly and with a rather mature attitude for her age. Neither of them quite understand the divorce, but they know that their parents were happier after the separation, and they still spend a good bit of time with both mommy and daddy. They are mostly staying with their mother, but Frank makes a point of spending at least one full day with them every week. He's determined to be a part of their lives, even if things didn't work out in his marriage.

#Clarissa: Clarissa is Frank's ex-wife. She and Frank are on somewhat shaky terms, with the two struggling to find a happy middle ground over the custody of their daughters. She is now with Neil, who makes more money than Frank, and Clarissa clearly enjoys rubbing this in Frank's face.

#Neil: Handsome Neil is wealthy. He has a 32 teeth smile, a firm handshake, and a full head of perfectly manicured brown locks just starting to go salt and pepper. He prefers preppy polos and crisp button down shirts, and passive aggressively making Frank's life as miserable as possible.

#Mitch: Ranger Mitch just started his job at Lytchwood Park. Maybe still in High School, Mitch has shaggy blond hair and a sun kissed wiry frame. When he first meets Jen and Frank, he is outgoing and friendly, and introduces the two to some of his friends... leading to the encounter with The Wytch. Since surviving the encounter, Mitch has been shaken, and perhaps he will never be the same.

#Jason: Jason is Bill's nephew, and one of the only other surviving teenagers after the encounter with The Wytch. He's sometimes serious and awkward, but built like an MMA fighter, and clearly able to handle himself in a tough situation. It is through Jason that the two are able to first get in touch with Bill.

#Zach: Deceased. Zach was the leader of the teenage gang that Frank and Jen met in Lytchwood Park. He was a lanky kid with a shaved head and pierced ears. Cocky and charismatic, Zach was Lydia's boyfriend. Now he's Wytch food.

#Lydia: Deceased. Lydia was flayed by The Wytch, and it may have stolen her skin. Zach's girlfriend, she was short and dumpy looking, with hair dyed black and purple.

The Vigilant
    The Brotherhood of Mather: A collection of locals in Salem Missouri, who claim to be a secret organization that has existed since their forefathers first interacted with the Native Americans, and who serve in the shadows, working to keep people safe from the blasphemies of The Wytch. They operate out of The Illuminated Church of Saint George, on Main Street in Salem. They might be right wing Hoosier nut jobs, or they might just be on to something...
    #Bill: Bill is the leader of the Brotherhood of Mather; a gravel voiced tall solid looking man built like a refrigerator, with a strong jaw and a grey ponytail meant to combat his receding hairline. Bill seems to have the utmost respect from the others within the Brotherhood, and for some reason has decided to trust Jen and Frank with some of their secrets.

#Arnold and Alexandra: Two of the members who Bill seems to trust the most. Perhaps a married couple, the two seem to stick together. Arnold is shorter, stocky to the point of almost being pudgy, with a scraggly brown beard falling down to cover his chest. He seems to be the more even keeled of the two, while Allie is taller, lean and athletic to the point of being androgynous, a look not helped by the military style crew cut of her salt and pepper hair. Allie seems to be hot headed, quick to anger and ready for a fight.

The Strange
    #The Wytch: The Wytch is a creature that lives deep within the woods of Lytchwood Park. It has apparently existed since the time of the Natives. It is said to have ancient powers, and apparently the locals of Salem often leave offerings in the woods in the hopes that The Wytch will grant them favors. Apparently the Wytch can steal skins and eat dreams, cannot cross running water, and may be afraid of garlic. You've been told that a Dream Catcher can protect you at night, and that it may be invincible, but it may be vulnerable to blows to its pelvic region.

#Seth Rogers: Seth has helped the group obtain various weapons in their preparation for their battle with the Wytch. Since then they have become embroiled in helping him stay hidden from some terrible threat related to his past life and organizational affiliations. He is a strange man, and the group are beginning to understand that he may have powers beyond that of a normal person. He is a skinny man with a greasy long pony tail and a thin mustache over yellowing buck teeth. He speaks with an almost robotic monotone, and tends to smell of the proof that he is several weeks late to a shower.

#Mr. John Keen: An agent of some kind, Keen showed up on the group's office doorstep looking for Seth. He seems driven and potentially dangerous, though not completely unreasonable. He has sandy blond hair buzzed in a military cut, and tends to wear a dark grey suit.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2024-01-31 at 07:09 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This Post is Reserved for Homebrew Rules

Spoiler: The Brotherhood of Mather
    Show

Status
    * You have gained the trust and respect of your fellows in the Brotherhood. Gain Allies (Brotherhood) **
    *** Your studies have given you deeper insights into The Wytch and many of the other foul monsters in its association. Once per scene, you may spend a WP to reroll any Academics or Occult roll.
    ***** You have been in the Brotherhood long enough to have gained the trust and loyalty of not only the local chapter, but the Brotherhood across the Country. Distribute three free dots between Allies, Contacts, and Mentor as you see fit.

Joining allows for the gaining of Status 1, and three tactics total.

Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-02-19 at 01:49 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank Daughtridge. A professional Welder, specializing in high pressure pipes. Works as a contractor, mostly utilities work for the town, but he gets hired by some of the larger companies as well. He and (insert TC's name here) co own a tiny business with some success. Its hard and sometimes dangerous work, but it pays well, the expertise needed for the job is fairly rare.

Frank has two young daughters that he shares joint custody over with his ex wife. None of his friends know much about the reasons for the divorce, he refuses to speak about it. He is currently not involved with anyone else. He and (TC's character) have been friends for a very long time and are rather close. Some who know them wonder why they're not an item, and Frank has been falsely accused of cheating with her by his wife in the past, but there's no romance there.

Frank loves to hunt and fish, but is not really into it for trophies. He bags most of the meat he eats in a year, which is something of a point of pride for him. These days he and his partner make a point of heading off into the wilds at least once every couple of months. Its a good way to unwind with a few beers.

Frank's Touchstone: His daughters Marissa and Rachel. They're the light of his life.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2342386
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-11-28 at 07:35 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@TC: I like the write up you have for Jennifer so far. I think my few questions are; how long has it been since she was discharged from the Army, how good is she as a contractor, and if she does not drive but likes to travel is she mostly hitch hiking or flying?

The dots in everything look appropriate. I see your Two goals and three NPCs, but I need specifically three aspirations and one specific Touchstone (is it Caitlyn?).

@Daishain: I think everything looks good so far. Just waiting on your own Aspirations... see below.

@All: So lastly, I want to know which one of you arranged this camping trip and chose the location, I'll let you decide between yourselves.

I've also placed the group Aspirations, please take a look and confirm you are okay with them. I know that both of you are probably a going to find it difficult to come up with your PC Aspirations given how little we have at this time. So I recommend going more meta with Aspirations; things such as "use my best skill to do something impressive", "protect my endangered Touchstone" or things similar.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

RE who set it up: Frank appears to be more into the survival/hunting thing than Jennifer, so if it had to be just one of them rather than a collaborative thing its probably Frank.

Tentative aspirations:
    -Take daughters out on a big and fun trip
    -Land something big for the business
    -Find a way to cheer Jennifer up (assuming my impression of her kind of being a bit down is accurate)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-12-13 at 09:54 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Aspirations and touchstone in. I still feel like I'm missing something, flaws maybe? Are we allowed to take flaws?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Daishain: The three aspirations are all acceptable. I'd suggest that you clear the third aspiration with TC.

@TC: First, see my reply to Daishain regarding how his character's aspirations involve your character. Second, regarding Aspiration #1 "Try everything at least once", can I just get a little clarity in regards to what you mean by this? Is this basically "do risky things"?

I still feel like I'm missing something, flaws maybe? Are we allowed to take flaws?
    That's it. Flaws is really more of an old WOD thing. Character creation for basic humans in Chronicles of Darkness is super straightforward.

@All: Lastly, do you want to write up a little blurb about your Touchstone, or do you want to give me cart blanch control of writing them up? I think we are at the point where we can start the game really. I will try at the very latest to get the IC thread up this weekend, though may be able to get it up sooner if things work out.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

IC post is up and linked in the first post of this thread
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Caitlyn:
    Alignment: (1d9)[6] NE
    Wealth: (1d100)[52]
    Family Wealth: (1d100)[73]
    Marital status: (1d3)[3] Divorced

Caitlyn always looks out for #1, and she has had to struggle just to earn a living in this world but she's starting to do OK for herself. She lost touch with Jennifer while Jen was in the military and Caitlyn started her new life married to her ex (Gregory), who was controlling. As the relationship soured, Caitlyn and Jen reconnected with Caitlyn using her best friend as a shoulder to lean on during the tough times. She came out ahead in the divorce because of a few dirty tricks she and her lawyer cooked up but she justified it by rationalizing she gave some of the best years of her life to her ex and it was only fair she got her fair share. Now she works a help desk but her income is supplemented by alimony payments so she's solidly middle class.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-12-21 at 09:42 AM.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wanna give me a sentence or two on her appearance and personality other than that she's likely to look out for #1?

Adding her to the NPC list.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Wanna give me a sentence or two on her appearance and personality other than that she's likely to look out for #1?

Adding her to the NPC list.
    She is selfish and materialistic, and has no issue telling small or even moderate lies to get what she wants. The ends justify the means in her mind, so long as the ends benefit her in some way. She would actually be well suited for a sales role if she could break into the field. Despite her lack of scruples, she has a few close friends (including Jen) she is loyal to and (probably) won’t betray.

She is brunette but dyes her hair blonde. She’s of slightly below average height and weight and uses her unimposing appearance to her advantage.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thanks, but now I want to know why Jen even bothers being her friend

EDIT: I assume I'm waiting for Dai to post IC.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-23 at 05:26 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, but now I want to know why Jen even bothers being her friend

EDIT: I assume I'm waiting for Dai to post IC.
    Because they grew up together and have a lot of shared experiences. It’s the two of them against the world, and they didn’t have a great childhood so they took what they could get. When Caitlyn bent the rules, Jen also benefitted, like when Caitlyn complained long and hard enough to get free passes to a local amusement park or a free meal here or there. Caitlyn puts up with Jen’s random and flighty nature when a lot of other people get fed up. It’s just that Caitlyn is a bit more jaded and selfish.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-12-23 at 05:53 PM.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I was more just teasing, but that does help. I've updated her on the NPC list, let me know if it's okay.

@Daishain: Still waiting on your reply as to if you want to flesh out your NPC more, or are okay with me doing it.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank's daughters, Marissa and Rachel, ages 9 and 6 respectively.

Marissa is quite extroverted, cheerful and exuberant, she is adamant that she is going to be a singer one day, and spends much of her free time singing and dancing to her favorite music. She makes friends with just about everyone, cheerfully chatting with people she just met.

Her younger sibling is considerably more quiet. Rachel is more than content to let her sister get all the attention while she reads a book or plays in the corner. She just might be the smartest one in the family, learning very quickly and with a rather mature attitude for her age.

Neither of them quite understand the divorce, but they know that their parents were happier after the separation, and they still spend a good bit of time with both mommy and daddy.

They are mostly staying with their mother, but Frank makes a point of spending at least one full day with them every week. He's determined to be a part of their lives, even if things didn't work out in his marriage.

In any case, feel free to flesh out further details, but the above is the core of what I had in mind.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Updated. Thank you very much for the good Touchstones both of you! Definitely a lot to work with.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In case the question was missed in Discord, do you two want to talk more in character before I move things along?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

In case the question was missed in Discord, do you two want to talk more in character before I move things along?
    No we can move along
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank's perception-2 (3d10)[3][4][3](10)

Blah, guess he's too preoccupied with that barrel pointing his way.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-01 at 09:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

What’s perception, wits + composure ?

(3d10)[8][9][4](21)

10 again: (3d10)[8][10][1](19)
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Waiting for TC's reply in discord.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Do you wish to keep chatting in hunter?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Do you wish to keep chatting in hunter?
    I am good to move on actually.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Moving on is fine by me. Probably assume they keep chatting on various topics and enjoying the day for a while.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you for the patience. IC post coming now.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

rollin rollin rollin

wits+survival (4d10)[9][1][5][2](17)
    ten again (4d10)[8][7][4][4](23)