New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Thinking of going Twilight Cleric - suggestions?

I have a 5e game coming up in the future and I have some time to decide what I want to do. I was weighing Cleric and Wizard as options.
    Now that this new book dropped and I have seen the new Cleric domains, I’m pretty sold on going Cleric. The Twilight Cleric looks amazing. The Peace Cleric also looks pretty awesome.

I’d love to see how some of you would optimize the Twilight Cleric. My only requirement is that I want to go Variant Human because I love getting the feat at first level and will possibly take more. Also, I was going to go Twilight Cleric 20 because I’m not huge on dips, especially if those dips aren’t in the Player’s Handbook. Although, if you see fit to add a dip into another class, I’m willing to listen.

I’m really interested in what feats you all would take over Ability Stat Improvements and when. I’m really interested in seeing how the martial weapons might be utilized in a full spell caster class as well.

If you have multiple options, like for instance a full 20 Twilight Cleric and then a versions with dips, please add them. I’d love to see how people are utilizing this domain to it’s fullest potential as well as what’s closer to my preferences.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Thinking of going Twilight Cleric - suggestions?

Quick and dirty straight-20, melee-centric Twilight Cleric: https://ddb.ac/characters/39664671/xqTxLa

While I would, personally, build the Twilight Cleric as a ranged caster, relying on all of its tricksy, dim light/shadows abilities to gain the upper hand on opponents, the build functions effectively with a focus on using a blade cantrip (acquired through Magic Initiate (Wizard) from being a VHuman) and supporting spells that don't rely as heavily on a high WIS score until T3 or T4. This build will be most effective with a Belt of X Strength to push you to or over 20 STR, but it is perfectly functional without. Usually, with build examples, I try not to include "necessary" magic items, but since most games (especially AL) will allow you access to STR-enhancing items on the regular, including a note about it adding to the build's potential seemed fair.

I'll add a caster version and some dipped versions as I get some spare time.

-BRJ

Side Note: I find Twilight Cleric a more effective dip than a full-investment class, with the possible exception of the enormous power of its Channel Divinity that increases linearly with your Cleric level.
    Last edited by BigRedJedi; 2020-11-21 at 11:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I personally would run the Twilight Cleric as a mid-range caster. I too would start as a variant human and for my bonus feat I would take Resilient (Con) although an argument could be made for warcaster.

My idea for the build really kicks in at level 5 when you get access to spirit guardians. Spirit guardians and twilight sanctuary provide both succor for your party and pain for your enemies. Twilight sanctuary also triggers your ability to fly at level 6, letting you to maneuver your auras into positions not possible under normal circumstances.

While some find it boring, when you are running spirit guardians dodge is often your best action.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 2020-11-22 at 01:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not much to optimize, really (as with most clerics). I'd take either Magic Initiate, Warcaster or Res (CON) and rock upcasted Spiritual Guardians and Spiritual Weapon.

I do suggest single-classing this domain, or at most a 1-level dip, since the CD scales really well and is somewhat absurd.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the replies! I would love to see more about what feats people would take over ASIs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
    I personally would run the Twilight Cleric as a mid-range caster. I too would start as a variant human and for my bonus feat I would take Resilient (Con) although an argument could be made for warcaster.

My idea for the build really kicks in at level 5 when you get access to spirit guardians. Spirit guardians and twilight sanctuary provide both succor for your party and pain for your enemies. Twilight sanctuary also triggers your ability to fly at level 6, letting you to maneuver your auras into positions not possible under normal circumstances.

While some find it boring, when you are running spirit guardians dodge is often your best action.
    Would you for some reason not take both? Are there anymore feats you would take?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bendking View Post
    Not much to optimize, really (as with most clerics). I'd take either Magic Initiate, Warcaster or Res (CON) and rock upcasted Spiritual Guardians and Spiritual Weapon.

I do suggest single-classing this domain, or at most a 1-level dip, since the CD scales really well and is somewhat absurd.

This guy's advice is good. MI (Druid) is good. Warcaster if you can get Booming Blade, otherwise Res (CON). Or both--can't go wrong with both. Fey-touched is very good for a half-feat. Aberrant Dragonmark is decent for a half-ASI if you have an odd CON score, Booming Blade & short-rest Shield.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJedi View Post
    Quick and dirty straight-20, melee-centric Twilight Cleric: https://ddb.ac/characters/39664671/xqTxLa

While I would, personally, build the Twilight Cleric as a ranged caster, relying on all of its tricksy, dim light/shadows abilities to gain the upper hand on opponents, the build functions effectively with a focus on using a blade cantrip (acquired through Magic Initiate (Wizard) from being a VHuman) and supporting spells that don't rely as heavily on a high WIS score until T3 or T4. This build will be most effective with a Belt of X Strength to push you to or over 20 STR, but it is perfectly functional without. Usually, with build examples, I try not to include "necessary" magic items, but since most games (especially AL) will allow you access to STR-enhancing items on the regular, including a note about it adding to the build's potential seemed fair.

I'll add a caster version and some dipped versions as I get some spare time.

-BRJ

Side Note: I find Twilight Cleric a more effective dip than a full-investment class, with the possible exception of the enormous power of its Channel Divinity that increases linearly with your Cleric level.

Looked over that strength Cleric you provided. Nice work! Looking forward to your other options as well.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Be wary if the campaign has a war between vampires and werewolves. One from each side may take a special interest in your character.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by arishardin View Post
    Would you for some reason not take both? Are there anymore feats you would take?
    I would take either Resilient (Con) or Warcaster at Level 1 and see how it goes. If you find yourself making concentration checks fairly frequently, I would take both. If not, one may be enough.

You cannot go wrong with the Lucky feat, which can also help with concentration checks. Also, Magic Initiate (Druid) gives you access to thorn whip, which allows you to pull enemies into your spirit guardians effect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Be wary if the campaign has a war between vampires and werewolves. One from each side may take a special interest in your character.
    Not true clerics are useful and contribute to society. Bella's only power was to turn oxygen into CO2 and ability I'm pretty sure she lost by the end of the series.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Not true clerics are useful and contribute to society. Bella's only power was to turn oxygen into CO2 and ability I'm pretty sure she lost by the end of the series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOP-2ulq2bk
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I’m often wondering how many feats is reasonable to take over ASIs? I have a STACK of feats I want to take.
    Warcaster
    Resilient(Con)
    Lucky
    Skill Expert
    Shadow Touched
    Fey Touched
    Sharpshooter & Crossbow Expert OR Magic Intiate (Greenflame Blade and Shillelagh)

Is this too much?
    How many feats would you limit a character to in order to not dip to far into ASI?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arishardin View Post
    I’m often wondering how many feats is reasonable to take over ASIs? I have a STACK of feats I want to take.
    Warcaster
    Resilient(Con)
    Lucky
    Skill Expert
    Shadow Touched
    Fey Touched
    Sharpshooter & Crossbow Expert OR Magic Intiate (Greenflame Blade and Shillelagh)

Is this too much?
    How many feats would you limit a character to in order to not dip to far into ASI?
    With full-casters, I would usually take no feats instead of ASIs until my casting stat is maxed unless a build demands it.
    I'm an optimizer, so when I say something is good, that means I think that it's powerful relative to the strongest options the system offers from a mechanical standpoint.
    When I say something is bad, I do not mean that is not viable or that you shouldn't play it, only that it isn't satisfactory for high optimization tables.

I use LudicSavant's and AureusFulgen's DPR Calculator to calculate DPR.
    My builds can be found at BendKing's Baffling Builds Bundle.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bendking View Post
    With full-casters, I would usually take no feats instead of ASIs until my casting stat is maxed unless a build demands it.
    Especially if you can get yourself into a position to improve both Wis and Con with one ASI later on.
    I just built a stars druid twilight cleric. I'm running high con and not bothering with concentration feats, because I'm a Tortle. I can get advantage by retreating into the shell. Gotta max the accuracy on that guiding bolt!
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T