New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default (PF1e) Need help building a 10th level character for a 1 or 2-session game

What I've been told is that the game is going to be set in and around a country where people who can't use magic are looked down upon. Also we're (supposedly) going to be doing spy work. Besides myself and the DM there's 1 other player for certain, and a third player is a maybe. That's about all I know.

Preferably this would be a spellcaster - not NECESSARILY a class that gets 9th level spells, but something like a bard or omdura would be fine too. Even a martial character would be fine - I've been looking at a gloomblade fighter who uses Startoss Style/Comet/Shower and Ricochet Toss to be effective both in melee and at range, though I'm having trouble settling on a weapon. A light hammer seems to be the best bet, due to gloomblades only being able to manifest melee weapons (so something like a chakram is out, since that's technically a ranged weapon) and javelins get a -4 to hit in melee.

Hell, if you can post character sheets for any 8th-10th level characters you have, that would be awesome, I can pirate some ideas from those. My biggest problem is that I generally don't like playing spellcasters, so I don't have much experience and I'm not sure how to build one. I've considered a Mystic Theurge, but I'd be stuck with prepared casting if I don't wanna lose two levels of MT, and considering I have no idea what I'm going into I'd really prefer the flexibility of a spontaneous caster.

Most of my characters have been warrior types or rogues. I dislike having a limited resource (spells) that I can't restore with a cheap magic item or two like I can with HP. Yes, I know wands and scrolls and staves exist, but I'm not certain what kind of caster to build since I have no idea what kind of challenges we're going to be facing, aside from the highly nebulous "you're going to be doing spy work" that I got from the DM. (I asked what would be appropriate and he pretty much told me "Build what you want, I'll work around it.")

Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: (PF1e) Need help building a 10th level character for a 1 or 2-session game

A 10th level wizard can cast 5th level spells.

I like 4th level spell dimension door for slipping around.

I would have 5th level spell break enchantment. It takes 10 rounds one minute to cast. However it will bring back someone who has turned to stone.

I would advise a device that can be activated no need for casting for dimension door or freedom of movement.

I would advise you get 3 or 4 scrolls of legend lore 6th level spell and the needed items to cast it 800 gp of Ivory and the incense worth 250 gp.

If you think illusions will be a problem get 3rd level arcane sight. This gives you the information of detect magic in one round vs. 3 rounds.

2nd level spells invisibility, glitter dust see invisible.

1st level shield, detect secret doors, floating disc
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF1e) Need help building a 10th level character for a 1 or 2-session game

Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle
    ...if you can post character sheets for any 8th-10th level characters you have, that would be awesome, I can pirate some ideas from those.
    Allow me to recommend Ravingdork's Character Emporium, a wide selection of very well-built characters. You should be able to find some good ideas in there.

After a brief glance through, I would recommend Corvo Kenwall in particular, who seems custom-built to help you out. He even comes with Fly and Dimension Door.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-11-22 at 06:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (PF1e) Need help building a 10th level character for a 1 or 2-session game

Magic and Spywork, sounds like one of the spellcasting Vigilantes would fit right in.

Warlock gets you a possibly untraceable weapon. Since its not a physical thing there isn't something to leave behind. And since its Supernatural not a spell or spell-like there is no lingering aura to detect. Wizard spell list, but spells per day/known like a Magus.

Cabalist gets you automatic bleed damage when you surprise someone. And various buffs against bleeding targets. Witch spell list, spells/day/etc like a Magus.

Both can cast in light armor without spell failure, have 3/4th BAB and d8 hp with 2 good saves, and 4+int (both int casters) skill points. And all of your social talents are basically free stuff.

Otherwise, Occultist can do the magical detective part of spying pretty well. Object Reading, Aura Sight, and even Outside Contact can be very useful if the GM works with you a little. The Divination implement school is pretty much a must. Mind Eye for a scrying/spying tool, Object Seer to basically get commune as related to an object (like who was your previous owner). Illusion's resonant power will eventually get you to invisibility at will, but I think that's beyond the level range you are looking for (18). However, Masquerade allows you to mimic people. And of course, Shadow Beast is good utility at higher levels, because you summon things that heal your party or buff you, not deal damage so you won't have to worry about will to disbelieve. At 13, you can summon a Jyoti with summon neutral monster and basically have a breath of life anywhere within 145' of you (55' summon range, 90' fly on Jyoti).

Since the game is only for a couple sessions, and you are starting at level 10, I strongly recommend a 6-list caster. 6-list casters will have 4th level spells, and all full 9-list casters will only have 5th. Granted, they probably have a few more per day, but 6-listers tend to get a lot of other stuff to help them out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

What about a magus? It's a rather decent class, balances spells and fighting with weapons easy enough. Sure it's spells aren't the bee's knees, but it gets some decent ones. It also has the ability to dual weild spell and weapon.
    Railak Sventar
    Apostle of Destruction
    4th Herald of the Aphotic Cataclysm
    The World's Ruin
    The Wake of Chaos