New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default What's the most unusual party of Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue?

Hi everyone

with all the new and sometimes quite unusual sublasses from Tasha etc: If you had to reinterprete the "clishé" party with a Fighter, a Wizard, a Cleric and a Rogue in the most "un-clishé" or unusual way that still "works" for adventuring - what would you do?

The framework
    1 Fighter, 1 Wizard, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue, no multiclassing but feats are allowed
    Materials allowed include UA
    Backstories not necessery but appreciated

I was thinking Echo Knight, Invention Wizard, Twilight Cleric and Phantom Rogue

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What's the most unusual party of Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue?

Until I saw that you actually wanted the specified classes, I was going to bring up my Fighter//Swashbuckler, Arcane Trickster, Bard//Warlock (Celestial), and Shadow Monk party, which were explicitly set up to be non-traditional ways to fill those roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gnome Fighter
    Orc Wizard
    Goblin Cleric
    Warforged Rogue

Add silly subclasses, background, and ability scores as you like to really make it unusual.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, normally you'd expect of the fighter and cleric to tank. So I'll go with:
    1) (Half)Elf archer fighter, nimble and graceful and with better mental stats that you'd expect, at the expense of con.
    2) Halforc str based rogue, played as a melee thug type.
    3) Melee-comfortable wizard (can be done in many ways), and the incentive is that they are in melee to activatee the strogue's sneak attack (possibly also to trigger sentinel).
    4) Halfling or gnome trickery cleric, played as a rogue (scouting, hiding in shadows, striking from a safe position in the back).

That's the idea. Mechanically, I think trickery cleric nails it, but for the other characters it could go in many different ways when it comes to subclasses. For races I went mostly for what I though suited better the image or the cliche I wanted to support.

In short, the fighter is your wizard, the wizard is your cleric, the cleric is your rogue, the rogue is your fighter. In some ways at least.
    Last edited by Corran; 2020-11-23 at 09:13 AM.
    Hacks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Battle master fighter- the face. Pump dex and Cha take rally, commanding, and bait n switch.
    Skill expert for boosted Cha check of choice

Abj wizard mark of healing- mitigation and healing

Thief rogue V human moderate armor/ sentinel at 4 - the tank. Surprising effective

Light cleric- blaster
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Bladesinger Mark of Healing Jorasco Halfling - healer and melee
    Goblin Trickery Cleric - the stealth/illusion/social type
    [race-independent] SS Battlemaster Archer - ranged controller Fighter
    High Elf Thief with Moderately Armored and Healer-feats and Athletics Expertise - the combat medic and frontline + UMD caster
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2020-11-23 at 01:45 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    The framework
    1 Fighter, 1 Wizard, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue, no multiclassing but feats are allowed
    Materials allowed include UA
    No UA. I only ask that the Halfling be allowed the Prodigy feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Backstories not necessery but appreciated
    OK, I'll fit that in.
    (As an aside: it is spelled cliché)

Note: There is no tank.

Fighter: Halfling, Battle Master
    Clever and brave, this halfling uses speed and trickery to defeat his foes. Will not stand toe to toe with anyone. Saw his cousin get his butt kicked once when trying to mix it up with a half orc in a waterfront bar. Lesson learned.
    S 14 D 16 C 14 I 9 W 10 Ch 12
    Background: Sailor. Skills Intimidation, Stealth, Athletics, Perception
    Dueling Fighting style. Sword and Board.
    ASI@4 Dex 18; ASI@6 Feat = Alert ASI@8 Feat = Prodigy (Athletics expertise) @10 Second Fighting Style = Defense ASI@12 Dex = 20 ASI@14 CON 16 ASI@16 Feat = Tough ASI@19: Resilient, Int or Wis.

Cleric: Tiefling, Light Domain
    Crazy mixed up kid whose momma was an Aasimar and whose daddy was an Incubus. Ended up going to the seminary thanks to "a rich uncle" who paid his tuition (as well as the bribe to the judge to keep him out of jail for yelling "Fire!" in a crowded town hall (used the Thaumaturgy cantrip to amplify his voice, caused a stampede, many injured) ... He's a tiefling, or something kind of like that. Also a pathalogical liar. Heck, he's such a liar he can't even tell himself the truth.

S 14 D 12 C 14 I 9 W 14 Ch 12
    Background: Charlatan. Skills: Insight, Deception, Sleight of Hand, Medicine
    ASI@4 WIS=16; ASI@8 Wis = 18 ASI@12 Wis = 20 ASI@16 Warcaster ASI & 19 Con = 16

Wizard: Goliath, Enchantment School
    Run out of her clan due to being the most talented BS artist and 'used car salesperson' personality type that the clan had ever seen. Also, she is the sharpest knife in the drawer. Dad was clan chief, so she gets the Noble background. She certainly puts on airs ...

S 10 D 14 C 16 I 14 W 10 Ch 10
    Background: Noble Skills: Arcana, Insight, History, Persuasion
    ASI@4 INT=16; ASI@8 INT = 18 ASI@12 INT = 20 ASI@16 Warcaster ASI@19 Con = 16

Rogue: Fire Genasi; Scout
    Too clever by half. Once started a forest fire by carelessly handling the produce flame cantrip. She has since "seen the light" and become a rabid nature advocate. Comes to the party as a fugitive, due to her previous associations with an enviro-terrorist organization in the campaign world. Will sometimes set fire to something as a distraction, or to provide misdirection.

S 12 D 14 C 16 I 10 W 12 Ch 12
    Background: Criminal Skills: Deception, Stealth, Perception, Intimidation, Sleight of Hand, Investigation Expertise - Stealth, Ivestigation
    ASI@4 DEX=16; ASI@8 DEX = 18 ASI@10 DEX = 20 ASI@12 Alert ASI@16 Resilient WisASI @19 CON = 16.

How does this party make it all work? They are not optimized.

They scout and they try to set the conditions for any combat. The would rather parley with, fool, or BS whomever they meet. The Enchanter uses spells to get some potential enemies "on side"; Cleric is damage control, buff, debuff, and occasionally uses the flare to get people out of trouble.

Hit and run, with an emphasis on Run so that they can live to fight another day.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-23 at 11:12 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure I want to build 4 characters, so I went mostly with unexpected combinations of class, subclass, and background. Assuming no ASI reshuffling at character creation, most of these don't "make sense", but I will admit that sadly they're still largely intended to do the things their class is actually good at. Still:

Half-Orc Arcana Cleric, Noble background
    Mountain Dwarf Illusionist, Entertainer background
    Lizardfolk Swashbuckler, Sage Background
    Firbolg Str-Fighter Cavalier, Folk Hero background
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The fighter is called fighter and fights everything they can fight(allies included).
    The wizard is called wizard and use magic for everything they can use magic for.
    The cleric is called cleric and prays in all the situations.
    The rogue is called rogue and sneaks around constantly hiding even from the other party members.
    They are all caricature and so stereotypical few writers would ever write the stories of those generic characters with no personality.
    Which makes them unusual.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-11-23 at 11:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

The All Warlock party:

"Fighter" - Hexblade, of course. Take Goliath or Aasimar as your race for extra health/independent healing if you like, but primarily you need a big stick with which to hit people and armour to prevent the same from happening to you.

"Wizard" - Pact of the Tome, take Magic Initiate and go crazy with Cantrips for all occasions. Pick up a Ring of Spell Storing and a Pearl of Power or two for good measure, maybe splash into Sorcerer for Coffeelock shenanigans.

"Cleric" - Divine Patron speaks for itself. Probably Pact of Tome again, but Hexblade is also permissible if you want something more akin to War Cleric than Life Cleric.

"Rogue" - Pact of the Talisman. Use feats to pick up a few extra tool proficiencies and talisman-buff yourself to pretend that you knew what you were doing all along.

Bonus points if no-one tells each other that they're a Warlock and they spend the entire camping pretending so as not to be outed as agents of a higher power.

The All Artificer party:

"Fighter" - Goliath Armourer, or maybe Forge Adept. You bump your AC through the roof and tank like a madman with all of your custom-made magic items keeping you above the curve. Goliath gives you the raw strength and HP needed to stay in the fight and allows you spend those points on your INT, kind of like an Eldritch Knight-lite.

"Wizard" - Maverick (from Exploring Eberron), or Artillerist. Long-ranged damage is all basically the same, isn't it?

"Cleric" - Alchemist with the Healer feat. Battlesmith might work too, though at least with the Alchemist, if you get KO'd someone can pick you up by pouring a potion down your neck.

"Rogue" - I mean, your team is going to have so many tool proficiencies and odd random skills, having one "Rogue" seems redundant, but if you had to pick one then I suppose another Forge Adept or Armourer could fit the role?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-11-24 at 03:14 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Builds are minimal because you can elaborate from here.

Rogue: The Sage. They know everything. They carry around a small library and are writing at least 1 tome of their own.
    Rogue with: Proficiency in Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, Religion, Survival

Cleric: The Pyro. A fire happy evoker, but nobody can find their spellbook. Fire just happens.
    Cleric with: Light Domain

Wizard: The Charlatan. A no good con artist. Quick with a lockpick, they always slip away when the con is revealed.
    Wizard with: Persuasion, Deception, and Thieves Tools proficiency. Mage Hand & Prestidigitation cantrips

Fighter: The Medic. Studies to be a doctor. Some of their treatments as pseudoscience nonsense but the placebo effect exists.
    Variant Human Fighter with: Proficiency in Insight, Medicine, and Herbalism Kit. Has the Healer Feat (Inspiring Leader later). Carries Healing Kits, Herbalism Kit, Potions, and some nonsense.

So you have a Rogue(Sage) and a Cleric(Pyro) that act like two halves of the stereotypical Wizard. You have a Wizard that is a rogue, despite not being a Rogue. Although their silver tongue would say it better. And a Fighter that is a Healer.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-11-23 at 12:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    No UA. I only ask that the Halfling be allowed the Prodigy feat.

OK, I'll fit that in.
    (As an aside: it is spelled cliché)

Note: There is no tank.

Clever and brave, this halfling uses speed and trickery to defeat his foes. Will not stand toe to toe with anyone. Saw his cousin get his butt kicked once when trying to mix it up with a half orc in a waterfront bar. Lesson learned.
    S 14 D 16 C 14 I 9 W 10 Ch 12
    Background: Sailor. Skills Intimidation, Stealth, Athletics, Perception
    ASI@4 Dex 18; ASI@6 Feat = Alert ASI@8 Feat = Prodigy (Athletics expertise) @10 Second Fighting Style = Defense ASI@12 Dex = 20 ASI@14 CON 16 ASI@16 Feat = Tough ASI@19: Resilient, Int or Wis.

Cleric: Tiefling, Light Domain
    Crazy mixed up kid whose momma was an Aasimar and whose daddy was an Incubus. Ended up going to the seminary thanks to "a rich uncle" who paid his tuition (as well as the bribe to the judge to keep him out of jail for yelling "Fire!" in a crowded town hall (used the Thaumaturgy cantrip to amplify his voice, caused a stampede, many injured) ... He's a tiefling, or something kind of like that. Also a pathalogical liar. Heck, he's such a liar he can't even tell himself the truth.

S 14 D 12 C 14 I 9 W 14 Ch 12
    Background: Charlatan. Skills: Insight, Deception, Sleight of Hand, Medicine
    ASI@4 WIS=16; ASI@8 Wis = 18 ASI@12 Wis = 20 ASI@16 Warcaster ASI & 19 Con = 16

Wizard: Goliath, Enchantment School
    Run out of her clan due to being the most talented BS artist and 'used car salesperson' personality type that the clan had ever seen. Also, she is the sharpest knife in the drawer. Dad was clan chief, so she gets the Noble background. She certainly puts on airs ...

S 10 D 14 C 16 I 14 W 10 Ch 10
    Background: Noble Skills: Arcana, Insight, History, Persuasion
    ASI@4 INT=16; ASI@8 INT = 18 ASI@12 INT = 20 ASI@16 Warcaster ASI@19 Con = 16

Rogue: Fire Genasi; Scout
    Too clever by half. Once started a forest fire by carelessly handling the produce flame cantrip. She has since "seen the light" and become a rabid nature advocate. Comes to the party as a fugitive, due to her previous associations with an enviro-terrorist organization in the campaign world. Will sometimes set fire to something as a distraction, or to provide misdirection.

S 12 D 14 C 16 I 10 W 12 Ch 12
    Background: Criminal Skills: Deception, Stealth, Perception, Intimidation, Sleight of Hand, Investigation Expertise - Stealth, Ivestigation
    ASI@4 DEX=16; ASI@8 DEX = 18 ASI@10 DEX = 20 ASI@12 Alert ASI@16 Resilient WisASI @19 CON = 16.

How does this party make it all work? They are not optimized.

They scout and they try to set the conditions for any combat. The would rather parley with, fool, or BS whomever they meet. The Enchanter uses spells to get some potential enemies "on side"; Cleric is damage control, buff, debuff, and occasionally uses the flare to get people out of trouble.

Hit and run, with an emphasis on Run so that they can live to fight another day.
    Just a quick interjection, you don't need Prodigy approval for the Halfling (unless you want more than Expertise in Athletics out of it and I didn't notice), you can just take Skill Expert from TCoE and get a half-ASI for fun along with Expertise, with no racial requirement. (If you were adding a tool and language proficiency too, this doesn't work, but if it is solely for Expertise, you're already covered! ;))

-BRJ

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJedi View Post
    ...you don't need Prodigy approval for the Halfling (unless you want more than Expertise in Athletics out of it and I didn't notice), you can just take Skill Expert from TCoE and get a half-ASI for fun along with Expertise, with no racial requirement.
    OK, I'll fit that in. I haven't bothered to read up any of the Tasha's feats with serious interest. I was so disappointed in racial feats in general (to me, Prodigy is what Skilled ought to be) in Xanathar's that I more or less blew them off.

S 14 D 17 C 14 I 9 W 10 Ch 10
    Background: Sailor. Skills Intimidation, Stealth, Athletics, Perception (later Persuasion)
    ASI@4 Feat = Skill Expert (Athletics Exp, add skill Persuasion) Dex = 18; ASI@6 Feat = Alert; ASI@8 Dex = 20; @10 Second Fighting Style = Defense; ASI@12 CON = 16; ASI@14 Feat = Mobile; ASI@16 Feat = Tough; ASI@19: Observant (+1 Int)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-23 at 02:41 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

So... all Monk party? (Thank you Tasha's!)

The Fighter: Way of the Kensei (w/ the Soldier background)
    The Rogue: Way of Shadow (w/ the Urchin background)
    The Cleric: Way of Mercy (w/ the Acolyte background)
    The Wizard: Way of the Sun Soul (w/ the Sage background)

They're all Wood Elves or whatever. I dunno. No one tanks, so it's all backflips all the time.

In all honesty, though, this would probably be a workable party if there was a more versatile replacement for The Wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

15. - Top - End - #15

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    In all honesty, though, this would probably be a workable party if there was a more versatile replacement for The Wizard.
    Four Elements is probably the closest in terms of spellcasting/different damage types/etc, although I feel that Ascendant Dragon (UA) would also be worth a look. Either of those with the Magic Initiate feat and an unusual race like Tiefling or Triton for their innate spells would go a long way in the theme.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-11-23 at 04:41 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

so my idea here is picking sub classes that make each class have the party roles of a class not in the line up

Fighter rune knight: the party has an odd artificer in the groups.
    Wizard School of war magic/bladesinger: the party has a rather weak fighter. sadly wizards have no way to take a class role outside of replacing fighters.
    Cleric nature/knowledge/order/forge: each of them work, we got a druid, bard, monk/paladin, or artificer replacement.
    Rogue arcane trickster or mastermind: the party has an oddly stealthy wizard or oddly unskilled bard.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

How about a party playing against type, where somone has "Three Card Monty'd" the tropes.

Fighter - Eldritch Knight with Ritual Caster: Wizard, a high INT, and several Knowledge skills.
    A sturdy but bookish young man who was pushed into being a solider, but who really wanted to study at a Wizard's College, and prefers spellbooks to swords.

Wizard - Illusionist with high DEX and skills like Stealth and Sleight of Hand, plus Thieves Tools proficiency.
    A con artist and burglar who uses his magic to help pull of heists and cons.

Cleric - Forge/War, with heavy armor and a high STR.
    A gruff brute who revels in battle.

Rogue - Inquisitive/Mastermind/Thief with the Healer feat and Expertise in Medicine.
    A quiet, wise doctor who uses his knowledge of anatomy to harm as well as heal.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Gnome Fighter - psi fighter
    Orc Wizard - Brick: the 6int orc wiz who is a pacifist that knows blade ward, mage armor, shield, & blur. toughness feat, top stat con
    Goblin Cleric - burny (light) cleric
    Warforged Rogue - str rogue

Add silly subclasses, background, and ability scores as you like to really make it unusual.
    fleshed it out a bit. a small bit.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...