New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default have you seen a previous magic item crafting thread? (iron bar of crafting)

So i could have sworn i saw a thread on here a week or so ago someone had posted that had something to do with using an existing magic item as the raw magic supplies to craft a more powerful version of itself as long as its starting gp value was half the market cost of the one you're upgrading to.

Does anyone have either;

a: insight into whether this is raw?

b: insight as to where the og thread went? i've scoured all 10 pages and it seems to have vanished

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: have you seen a previous magic item crafting thread? (iron bar of crafting)

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    So i could have sworn i saw a thread on here a week or so ago someone had posted that had something to do with using an existing magic item as the raw magic supplies to craft a more powerful version of itself as long as its starting gp value was half the market cost of the one you're upgrading to.

Does anyone have either;

a: insight into whether this is raw?

b: insight as to where the og thread went? i've scoured all 10 pages and it seems to have vanished
    Sadly no.
    But i have been researching into this. Perhaps it could have been deleted and otherwise erased.
    My Primordial Thread vanished mysteriously. I was not sure quite why but the same thing could have happened to it
    Maybe their is a internet black hole somewhere.....
    All hail Jazath, Creator and Administrator of The Borg. They will bring order to this chaotic omniverse and impose their absolute will upon all creation.
    Those who stand in the way of Jazath and his Borg will be dealt with violently and efficiently.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

I present Jazath and his Borg

A wise man once said "To be insane in an insane world is to be a DM!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: have you seen a previous magic item crafting thread? (iron bar of crafting)

I don't recall the thread, but DMG 298 says this:
    ADDING NEW ABILITIES
    A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.
    The MIC, unexpectedly, has more rules for doing this.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    I don't recall the thread, but DMG 298 says this:

The MIC, unexpectedly, has more rules for doing this.

well i think the idea was more:

take iron bar of +3 crafting and use it as the 900gp of supplies to make a +4 hammer head of crafting in lieu of needing to go get any more supplies and being left only with providing more xp at that point

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    well i think the idea was more:

take iron bar of +3 crafting and use it as the 900gp of supplies to make a +4 hammer head of crafting in lieu of needing to go get any more supplies and being left only with providing more xp at that point
    I'm not overly familiar with Eberron stuff, but can't Artificers do something like that: recycle magic items towards the cost of making new items?

Here we go (it works for XP rather than GP):

Retain Essence (Su): At 5th level, an artificer gains the ability to salvage the XP from a magic item and use those points to create another magic item. The artificer must spend a day with the item, and he must also have the appropriate item creation feat for the item he is salvaging. After one day, the item is destroyed and the artificer adds the XP it took to create the item to his craft reserve. These points are lost if the artificer does not use them before gaining his next level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm not overly familiar with Eberron stuff, but can't Artificers do something like that: recycle magic items towards the cost of making new items?

Here we go (it works for XP rather than GP):
    i've always loved that ability, it just makes sense. This exploit i was looking for however only a little bit of sense

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I remember the thread op was referring to. Can't find it, but basically it comes down to market price is 2x cost price.

Craft Wondrous Item - Lump of Magicness (purpose made item for use as materials in crafting magic items), 250gp worth of materials, bit of magic, one day of work, viola...a lump of magical materials with a market value of 500gp.

Take that 500gp lump, repeat magical shenanigans...it is now a lump with a market value of 1000gp.

Use the 1000gp lump, take 2 days to work it, viola...2000gp market value.

Then 4000gp, 8000gp, 16000gp, 32000gp, 64000gp, 128000gp...

Substituting time for cash, you wind up with a situation where you can enchant a +5 Vorpal Sword or the like without needing to spend a literal dragon's hoard...

You could start as low as you like, 10gp, 5gp, 1cp (if that is all you have)...just remember that it is going to take you 1 full day of work for each 1000gp of the finished product, or part thereof.

Good for campaigns with a stingy GM...not so good for campaigns with little or no downtime. Get a cohort to do the enchanting for you...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2020-11-24 at 08:02 PM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list