New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question Items that glow when certain conditions are met? How much should creation cost?

How much should it cost to make an item (usually a weapon) glow when certain conditions are met? Like Sting from LoTR or like the Frostbrand with temperature or a Helm of Brilliance and undead? I thought it was an ability that when with a bane weapon but I don't see it spoken of anywhere.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Items that glow when certain conditions are met? How much should creation cost?

That depends incredibly on the usefulness of the effect, the range of the effect, and the world/Setting.

Throwing a few numbers into the room:

From 1 Gold Coin (Door Grip glowing red if someone behind the door is on the toilet^^) to 50000+ Gold (Sword/etc glowing in a specific color if a specific kind of high level, well cloaked, Demon/Devil/Whatever is in your range), I`d say.

Ergo usefulness, Range, what the Item needs to pierce/overcome to actually detect what it is meant to detect, and so on.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Items that glow when certain conditions are met? How much should creation cost?

I'd say glowing when creatures of a given type or subtype are nearby - that is, within a few hundred feet - is roughly as powerful as a first level spell. So allowing a weapon to do it would cost 3,000 or 4,000 gold, depending on whether you think detect animals and plants or detect undead is a more reasonable basis for this hypothetical detection spell. I'd say that it would be roughly a +1 bonus, and maybe make the bane property do it as well for free.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Eye of the Druuthbane (Magic of Faerun, p.157) is a crystal that glows when doppelgangers and/or illithids are within 60 feet. It also provides +4 to Will saves, and fires a ray that can force doppelgangers into their true form 1/day. Priced at 18,000gp.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sense Heretic kinda does this as a level 1 spell (Paladins only, but Archivists could cast this from level 1). It lasts 10 minutes/level. Making it a wondrous continuous effect technically would cost 2000g. Embed it in a weapon like a jeweled hilt and get a DIY Sting, but for evil divine casters. Probably a little cheap for this kind of detection, to be honest, but the precedence is there for it.

I'd think trading out alignment/casting for a subtype would be balanced if you're creating a custom item. Glow for vermin!
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'd make it free, just a 'ribbon' or flavor ability. It's as likely to cause problems ("Oh, were you trying to be stealthy? So sorry ...") as it is to reveal important information to the players in a way they can use.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    How much should it cost to make an item (usually a weapon) glow when certain conditions are met? Like Sting from LoTR or like the Frostbrand with temperature or a Helm of Brilliance and undead? I thought it was an ability that when with a bane weapon but I don't see it spoken of anywhere.
    Fiercebane (MIC) is a +1 enhancement that requires Bane and makes your weapon glow when a creature of the relevant type is within 60ft.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    Fiercebane (MIC) is a +1 enhancement that requires Bane and makes your weapon glow when a creature of the relevant type is within 60ft.
    Never noticed that before. Perfect answer to the question. Also does extra damage on a crit to the creature type.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

fiercebane is the classical LotR option.

A percentage of magic weapons either glow constantly or glow on command, it's in the DMG.

Making any item glow under circumstances is pretty easy, actually simply use the light spell and the detect spell as prereqs for item creation and presto, you have a sword which glows whenever it detects whatever the crafter set it to. Fairly cheap too, and as a tiny bonus over fiercebane, not limited to creatures. It can detect anything that a detect spell can. also, interestingly, the magic mouth spell has guidance on how detection works.
    Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshyo ka?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well weapons can glow for free and light is a cantrip so the actual glow is worth at most 500gp for a use activated cantrip and might be free, or perhaps we go 50gp because that's the value of a continual flame.

Then it's just the price of however you do the detection, which could be a locate creature spell or perhaps something like detect evil or detect magic, the latter two could reasonably even be set to glow only for auras of sufficient strength.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

A certain percentage of all magic weapons glow by RAW without affecting price.
    There's also a list of conditions for intermittently functioning items. You could theoretically apply this aspect to a single ability on the item (the light) to make it only function in the vicinity of a specific type of creature (orcs) and adjust the cost of that single ability accordingly (-30% of free to make the ability free, for example).
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Eye of the Druuthbane (Magic of Faerun, p.157) is a crystal that glows when doppelgangers and/or illithids are within 60 feet. It also provides +4 to Will saves, and fires a ray that can force doppelgangers into their true form 1/day. Priced at 18,000gp.
    That's such a niche item. Almost useless, untill you need it and it's awesome. How long is the dopple stuck; can it just immediately reshape on its turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    That's such a niche item. Almost useless, untill you need it and it's awesome. How long is the dopple stuck; can it just immediately reshape on its turn?
    Yeah, I wouldn't even have known it existed, but I stumbled on it while I was looking to contribute to this thread: Mind Flayers, Beholders, and Aboleths Oh My

Looks like the duration of being forced into it's true form is 1d4+1 rounds.