New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Essence of the MCU in D&D: Tasha's-Compatible Edition

With Tasha's out, and a certain forum member banned, I'm thinking of reincarnating my thread from early this year, where I attempt to convert MCU characters into D&D rules. (Not thread necromancy; using this thread to reboot the concept.)

Same disclaimer as last time, I know this would be a lot more accurate if I used Mutants & Masterminds instead of D&D to do it.

Mostly the same guidelines as last time: I'm indulgent in some ways (high levels, high ability scores, generous magic item selection), but strict in others (homebrew and house rules are a slippery slope; not allowing material I'd be reluctant to allow as a DM). Insomuch as this thread is a repeat of last time for many heroes, the goal would be to bring them into the post-Tasha's-compliant metagame. Which means a reluctance to use not-super-recent UA, for example.

I'm also reluctant to use Tasha's rules to alter Race/Origin of characters, as I find those rules meh at best. But I may make exceptions if there's a custom/altered race that just seems perfect for a certain hero.

Table of Contents
    (to be added)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Essence of the MCU in D&D: Tasha's-Compatible Edition

Well Ironman sure as heck got a lot easier.

Level 10 Artificer - Armorer Subtype. Infiltrator

Lightning Launcher is the Repulsar Beams,

Infusions:
    Winged Boots for flight - as part of the armor
    Repulsion Shield - Fluffed to be part of the armor, but still take a hand
    Enhanced Defense - Make the armor better
    Gauntlet's of Ogre Strength - as part of the armor only
    Sending Stones - Communication as part of the armor

So regular human with starting stats of

ASIs at 4 and 8 go into Intelligence to get it to 20. Spells to flavor
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2020-11-24 at 11:42 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3

Thoughts about last time's builds and updates to them

Tony Stark

He should still be (mostly? or completely?) an Armorer Artificer, of course, with the Infiltrator Armor Model. Could use medium armor instead of heavy now, but since stealth isn't really one of his specialties I think I'll stick with heavy. Or maybe not; that would be a way to distinguish War Machine from Iron Man, wouldn't it?

Could take Skill Expert instead of Prodigy now, or take both. Otherwise, I might be pretty happy with this build?

Bruce Banner

I was very happy with the "solution" I eventually got from a contributing forum member, king_steve, to make Bruce an Alter Self form, so that if the character loses concentration he "hulks out." I'd like to keep that formula, although I need to make sure he has enough levels of spellcaster to stay in Bruce form constantly I guess. Which is easiest to do with Sorcerer, even though Artificer would be neat flavor for Banner's scientist ways. If I stick with Sorcerer, though, I'd like to pick a more modernly-accepted subclass, as Giant Soul Sorcerer is from a pretty ancient UA.

IIRC, I gave him Fighter levels mostly just so he could have the Unarmed Fighting Style. Which can now be picked up with a feat. So that probably means I can add more Barbarian or spellcaster levels to the build. To be looked into ...

Natasha Romanoff

Last time I allowed her to sneak attack using unarmed strikes as a houserule, which violates my guideline of no houserules. Not sure there's another way to make her an effective unarmed combatant, though, even with new material. And the Rogue levels just fit her so well that I hesitate to switch her to pure Monk or anything. Hmmm.

Thor Odinson

I was pretty happy last time with my MAD Battle Master / Storm Sorcerer / Tempest Cleric build. Not sure anything will really change about this one?

Clint Barton

Haven't thought much about this one; no changes needed off the top of my head.

Steve Rogers

I was never fully satisfied with either solution the thread came up with for his thrown shield (either having a friendly Artificer contribute an Infusion to it to make it a Returning Weapon, which is partly problematic b/c it still needs refluffing to combine the shield and the weapon items; or re-fluffing the Magic Stone spell to be his thrown shield). So I'm still open to suggestions on that.

Might stick with the Battle Master / Mastermind arrangement though, for the rest of the build.

Carol Danvers

Divine Soul Sorcadin still seems like a pretty decent way to do this build, as I conceded after a number of people told me she was no Monk. I finally listened. Still seems like the better option even with Way of the Ascendant Dragon being an option.

If we still want the flavor of an Infinity Stone being her "warlock patron," there is now the Eldritch Adept feat available to represent that, without losing any Paladin/Sorcerer levels.

Scott Lang

Now that I'm marginally familiar with the Swarmkeeper Ranger, it seems obvious that it would be a better way than Shepherd Druid to get Ant-Man's swarm-of-ants abilities.

Could still go with Rune Knight to represent his emergency grow-to-giant-size ability, with a Small race to help him be small enough for whatever is needful.

Not sure about making him yet another Armorer Artificer, especially since he didn't really build his own suit at all. Maybe Hank Pym is the Artificer and contributes the suit to him? But that doesn't give him as many fancy features on the suit. Hmmm.

James Rhodes (the next build I was requested to do)

Still not sure what to do to represent that Tony mostly built his suit for him, part of me just wants to make him another Armorer and ignore that fact. And then just try to make him as different from Iron Man as he should be through choices within Armorer. Or I could stick with giving him 2-3 levels in Fighter.

Stephen Strange

Before, I hesitated on this build just because I was debating between Mystic and Chronurgy Wizard. But now that 5e has official (if half-baked) psionics in other forms, I think Mystic is just ousted from the project. So I'll go with Chronurgy Wizard unless someone convinces me that the new Sorcerer subclasses are a propo.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2020-11-24 at 11:53 AM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

4. - Top - End - #4

MonkGirl

Hawkeye is some mix of Rogue(scout) and Fighter(Battlemaster); though I’m not sure where I’d draw the multiclass split

Quicksilver... one of those Tabaxi monk/rogue/Barbarian speed maxing builds

Scarlet Witch makes a passable Aberrant mind sorceress?

Falcon... at will flight is tough, he has to be an aaracokra or winged tiefling I guess? Unless we just wait for later levels for him to be representational as another artificer

Nothing in the system can get small enough for Antman right now (UA: mystic had some options); but Deuregar Rune Knights can do the ‘big’ part

Black Panther: multiclass monk/armorer

Guardians of the Galaxy:
    Starlord: Swashbuckler
    Gamora: Assassin
    Drax: Barbarian (or champion fighter)
    Mantis: Glamour Bard
    Rocket: Artillerist
    Groot: I am Groot
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2020-11-24 at 11:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Well Ironman sure as heck got a lot easier.
    Well, last time I was using UA freely, so Armorer was available.

Level 10 Artificer - Armorer Subtype. Infiltrator

Lightning Launcher is the Repulsar Beams,

Infusions:
    Winged Boots for flight - as part of the armor
    Repulsion Shield - Fluffed to be part of the armor, but still take a hand
    Enhanced Defense - Make the armor better
    Gauntlet's of Ogre Strength - as part of the armor only
    Sending Stones - Communication as part of the armor

So regular human with starting stats of

ASIs at 4 and 8 go into Intelligence to get it to 20. Spells to flavor
    Something along these lines, yes. Although I think you're greatly underestimating his ability scores, and I made him Level 16 before.

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Hawkeye is some mix of Rogue(scout) and Fighter(Battlemaster); though I’m not sure where I’d draw the multiclass split
    My last draft of him was Monk / Gloom Stalker / Arcane Archer. Could go with ranged-friendly Maneuvers instead of magic for special arrows, but I'm pretty set on at least the Monk part; he definitely has some dex-based unarmed fighting going on. Shortbow can be a Monk weapon now IIRC ...

Quicksilver... one of those Tabaxi monk/rogue/Barbarian speed maxing builds
    Quicksilver is tricky because speed should mean more than just movement speed, but these are good thoughts to start.

Scarlet Witch makes a passable Aberrant mind sorceress?
    Hadn't thought of that specifically, and I like it. Possibly multiclass with Great Old One Warlock?

Falcon... at will flight is tough, he has to be an aaracokra or winged tiefling I guess? Unless we just wait for later levels for him to be representational as another artificer
    Could go with the artificer option, as I was planning on making all of these at least like Level 12 (unless I get into Agents of SHIELD characters or something).

Nothing in the system can get small enough for Antman right now (UA: mystic had some options); but Deuregar Rune Knights can do the ‘big’ part

Black Panther: multiclass monk/armorer

Guardians of the Galaxy:
    Starlord: Swashbuckler
    Gamora: Assassin
    Drax: Barbarian (or champion fighter)
    Mantis: Glamour Bard
    Rocket: Artillerist
    Groot: I am Groot
    Some good thoughts in here. Swashbuckler would be ... interesting? ... for a character who primarily uses ranged weapons, why did you think Swash specifically?
    Last edited by Draz74; 2020-11-24 at 12:08 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Well, last time I was using UA freely, so Armorer was available.

Something along these lines, yes. Although I think you're greatly underestimating his ability scores, and I made him Level 16 before.
    Oh, we are allowed to make up ability scores? I was actually going with point buy to come up with the initial ability score with what I wrote. Given the ability to choose whatever you like, his charisma is much higher than it was in my point spread. I went with level 10 since it is the lowest level you can get the winged boots as an infusion for flight.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I always liked reskinning Captain America throwing his shield as an eldritch blast.

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Swashbuckler would be ... interesting? ... for a character who primarily uses ranged weapons, why did you think Swash specifically?
    He is charismatic, but not a team support type like a bard... taunts people, has mobility focused combat... but not enough ‘tricks’ to justify spellcasting to me. Give him ‘crossbow mastery’ and a hand crossbow; and perhaps tavern brawler for impromptu combat shenanigans. Could be a dex-based handcrossbow fighter as well but... seems more sly and tricksy than that.

I guess... could be a hand crossbow bladelock if you wanted to play up the ‘celestial power’ angle from the climax of GotG2
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2020-11-24 at 05:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Thinking about Dr. Strange at the moment. VHuman Chronurgy Wizard 20 / Epic Boon 1 is the plan, so far.

For his medical background, I think a custom Background is in order; Medicine proficiency obviously. History or Nature as the other skill? A language, plus either Herbalism Kit or Alchemist's Supplies? Also his first-level Feat will be either Healer or Prodigy (Medicine expertise) or Skill Expert (same). Input welcome.

For magic items, probably Robe of the Archmagi ... I was thinking the Eye could be an Ioun Stone: Mastery, but since it ended up being based on an Infinity Stone that may still not be fancy enough. And probably one of the new tome-items from Tasha's?

What spells for Spell Mastery? Shield seems appropriate and is a standard go-to, but for 2nd level?

Besides his doctor feat at level 1, I was thinking Keen Mind and Lucky. Any feats I'm missing?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I've always thought that Kensei Monk choosing the shield as the Kensei weapon (therefore giving it monk scaling) would be the easiest thing to do for Captain America. Something like Battemaster Fighter 3 / Mastermind Rogue 3 / Kensei Monk 14 (with the gift of a Returning Weapon Infusion by a friendly artificer) or the slightly-mad BMF 3 / MMR 5 / Art 2 / KM 10 if you need to do it yourself.

DM Fiat, obviously
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

11. - Top - End - #11

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I've always thought that Kensei Monk choosing the shield as the Kensei weapon (therefore giving it monk scaling) would be the easiest thing to do for Captain America. Something like Battemaster Fighter 3 / Mastermind Rogue 3 / Kensei Monk 14 (with the gift of a Returning Weapon Infusion by a friendly artificer) or the slightly-mad BMF 3 / MMR 5 / Art 2 / KM 10 if you need to do it yourself.

DM Fiat, obviously
    Why make it a monk weapon, he is clearly STR based...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Why make it a monk weapon, he is clearly STR based...
    Again, for scaling. Otherwise it's just a d4 improvised weapon.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well I gotta post my Iron Hammer (Iron Man + Thor) build from last week!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Tempest-Build

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by CMCC View Post
    Well I gotta post my Iron Hammer (Iron Man + Thor) build from last week!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Tempest-Build
    Yeah, the title of your thread was part of what made me think of reviving this project...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note: