New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Shadow Walk & blink are usable in planes other than material plane?

Hello everyone. My first post here.

My adventurers got into the abyss to break some demoniac pacts.
    The thing is, the mage have died, and they are trying to figure out ways to leave the place without his magic.
    Before the end of the session, my player asked everyone to stay calm because he will use shadow Walk next session.

My question is: is it usable outside of material plane?(or any other with direct connection)

Same goes for blink spell, that make you swap between material plane and ethereal plane.

He is arguing that astral plane is a bridge between shadow plane and any other plane. But in that case, shouldn't he be able to travel to astral plane before?

Thx in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Shadow Walk & blink are usable in planes other than material plane?

RAW 3.5 is no. Shadow and ethereal are coterminous with and freely accessible from Material and Astral only. I have no doubt that some sideways shenanigans have been used at some point by either inventive players or module writers who regularly invented ways for opponents to do the impossible, but it should take more than a shadow walk.

Now, maybe you want them to escape there and then. It is not a sin to alter underlying assumptions, but it will likely change the world in more ways than simply allowing that particular avenue of escape from the Lower Planes.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2020-11-24 at 01:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Even if you could use shadow walk on the abyss, you'd still end up on the abyss, it's not a planar travel spell.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Even if you could use shadow walk on the abyss, you'd still end up on the abyss, it's not a planar travel spell.
    MotP disagrees. Just like astral projection can only bring you to Astral, but then you can travel to other planes because Astral is connected to them (and the complication of manifesting a second body is a feature of the spell, not of the Astral itself), so can shadow walk be used to travel between planes if you choose to connect Shadow to Outer and\or Inner planes. It's as official as it can possibly be for an alternative cosmology.

Now, I have seen somewhere an idea of multiple Shadows and Ethereals, so all those spells are useful on Outer Planes but travel is as hard as it supposed to be, but that is not the same as merely "Shadow connects to more planes"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjonjon4 View Post
    He is arguing that astral plane is a bridge between shadow plane and any other plane. But in that case, shouldn't he be able to travel to astral plane before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Shadow walk actually is a planar travel spell...sort of. That's probably where this player's confusion comes in.

The spell description contains the following line:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Walk
    Shadow walk can also be used to travel to other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow, but this usage requires the transit of the Plane of Shadow to arrive at a border with another plane of reality. The transit of the Plane of Shadow requires 1d4 hours.
    However, in the default D&D cosmology, the only "other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow" are alternate Material Planes. The reason it's phrased the way it is instead of just saying "alternate Material Planes" directly is that Manual of the Planes has some sidebars offering some other options for using the Plane of Shadow in a DM's homebrew cosmology, which does include versions where the Outer Planes are accessible via Deep Shadow.

Same goes for the Ethereal Plane: while MotP offers various alternatives for homebrew cosmologies, by default it's only accessible from the Material Plane (or, if using the Planescape version, both the Prime and the Inner Planes), so spells interacting with it don't function on the Outer Planes.

So no, they could not escape the Abyss via creative use of shadow walk or blink, or for that matter ethereal jaunt or any other Ethereal- or Shadow-accessing spells.

EDIT: Partially swordsage'd by Saint-Just. But note that all the MotP stuff is, as I mentioned, optional rules for DMs; "official" alternate cosmology or not, none of it applies to the Great Wheel.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2020-11-24 at 03:10 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Shadow walk actually is a planar travel spell...sort of. That's probably where this player's confusion comes in.

The spell description contains the following line:

However, in the default D&D cosmology, the only "other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow" are alternate Material Planes. The reason it's phrased the way it is instead of just saying "alternate Material Planes" directly is that Manual of the Planes has some sidebars offering some other options for using the Plane of Shadow in a DM's homebrew cosmology, which does include versions where the Outer Planes are accessible via Deep Shadow.
    I mean, to be fair, even in the default cosmology, the ethereal and astral also border the shadow, so you could use it to get to those planes, but good call, i totally forgot about that line.
    Last edited by Crake; 2020-11-25 at 10:20 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Well in the Manual of the planes is said that
    Quote Originally Posted by Manual of the planes page 59
    It overlaps the Material Plane much asthe Ethereal Plane does, so a planar traveler can use thePlane of Shadow to cover great distances quickly. ThePlane of Shadow is also coterminous to other planes.With the right spell, you can use the Plane of Shadow tovisit other realities.
    But it even say about shadow walk
    Quote Originally Posted by Manual of the planes page 61
    Most Material Plane creatures on the Plane of Shadowuse the shadow walkspell. With this spell, the castermoves into the Plane of Shadow, moves in a particulardirection for a certain amount of time, and then stepsback into the Material Plane
    And in the same page
    Quote Originally Posted by Manual of the planes page 61
    Shadow travelers may attempt to seek out a portal toan alternate Material Plane or an Outer Plane. If seeking an alternate Material Plane, the traveler forces herself out of the areas that correspond to the original Material Plane. The terrain grows extreme: Trees aremore massive than anything on the Material Plane,mountains become clifflike barriers, and rivers are raging torrents. It takes 1d4 hours of constant travel to reach the spot on the alternate Material Plane that corresponds to the departure point on the original Material Plane. At this point, the traveler can open a newportal and enter the alternate Material Plane. If yourcosmology doesn’t include alternate Material Planes (or they haven’t been discovered yet), travelers are unable to open such a portal.In this rough terrain, shadow travelers also find portals that move through the Astral Plane and on to other Inneror Outer Planes. Again, it takes 1d4 hours of constant travel to find a random portal of this type.
    So by the last phrase it seems that can connect to other planes (not to the ethereal and probably not to the mirror plane)
    But there are even some variants , like one that let the good aligned planes connect only to the Astral plane, the evil aligned planes to the Shadow plane , while the neither good neither evil planes to Shadow plane and Astral plane
    There is another variant that let it connect to each Plane but it tends to gains the traits of the other planes.

Passing to a 3.5 manual rather than a 3.0 we have the tome of magic that say at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic page 109
    The plane of Shadows neighbor the Material Plane and many of the others as well(other pieces of test that i don't want to write) The plane of Shadow is the literal Shadow of the Material Plane
    To be honest in a recent campaign where I had a shadowcaster finishing on the Outer Planes I ruled that the Shadow plane connected to them so the mysteries didn't have any problem (still subjected to the traits of the plane) and that he could use Pass into Shadow , because if the Shadow Plane wasn't connected to the Outer Planes that would have been a problem (and with a mystery that works as Plane Shift it seems logical to think that the Shadow Plane is connected to other planes other than the Material)
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quentinas View Post
    So by the last phrase it seems that can connect to other planes (not to the ethereal and probably not to the mirror plane)
    Note the specific wording:

Quote Originally Posted by MotP p.61
    Shadow travelers may attempt to seek out a portal to an alternate Material Plane or an Outer Plane.
    [...]
    In this rough terrain, shadow travelers also find portals that move through the Astral Plane and onto other Inner or Outer Planes. Again, it takes 1d4 hours of constant travel to find a random portal of this type.
    That's not saying that the Plane of Shadow connects to the Outer Planes directly (and thus that someone currently on an Outer Plane could access it with shadow walk), just that there are a bunch of portals on the Plane of Shadow that connect to other planes, in the same way that there are a bunch of portals on any other plane.

Passing to a 3.5 manual rather than a 3.0 we have the tome of magic that say at the same time
    Again, that sentence doesn't mean that the Outer Planes are accessible from Shadow. As per Manual of the Planes (which is indeed a 3.5 source, as it has been updated to 3.5 and there's no later source to override it):

Quote Originally Posted by MotP, p.62, Option: Without the Plane of Shadow
    Within the D&D cosmology, the Plane of Shadow connects only with the Astral Plane and the Material Plane. The above limitations apply when a traveler is on an Inner Plane or an Outer Plane.
    Now, in addition to the Astral Plane, the Plane of Shadow connects to alternate Material Planes through Deep Shadow (which would certainly qualify as "many planes" just on their own!) as well as the Negative Energy Plane and the Positive Energy Plane in darklands and brightlands regions, respectively. So "The Plane of Shadow neighbors...many of the other[ planes] as well" is true <ObiWan>from a certain point of view</ObiWan>, but those "many others" don't include the Outer Planes.

To be honest in a recent campaign where I had a shadowcaster finishing on the Outer Planes I ruled that the Shadow plane connected to them so the mysteries didn't have any problem
    That's definitely a reasonable decision, and I've done the same before--once for a campaign where the Transitive Planes played a very significant role, once because I had a party including both a Shadowcaster and a Shadowcraft Mage that involved lots of planes-hopping--but it's important to recognize that that is in fact a houserule whereas the OP's player is mistakenly claiming that that's how things work by default in the Great Wheel, two very different things.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RAW, the only requirement to cast shadow walk is to be in an area of shadowy illumination. When you cast it, it transports you to the edge of the shadow and material planes. Then you step off onto the material.

You can't use it to go other planes, but you can use it to leave them.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2020-11-27 at 03:36 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits p. 69 hasa bunch of Phase Spiders in an encounter explicitly stated to use their Ethereal Jaunt ability while in the Abyss (a non Ethreal coexistent/coterminous plane).

Interpret that information as you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    RAW, the only requirement to cast shadow walk is to be in an area of shadowy illumination. When you cast it, it transports you to the edge of the shadow and material planes. Then you step off onto the material.

You can't use it to go other planes, but you can use it to leave them.
    If you limit yourself to the Core that can be seen as RAW, but if it is so then Blink also works, since it says "you are blinking back and forth between the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane". If you either allow for specific RAW from the MotP to override general RAW ("If the Plane of Shadow doesn’t exist....The following illusions with the shadow descriptor don’t work:greater shadow conjuration,....shadow walk....Within the D&D cosmology, the Plane of Shadow connects only with the Astral Plane and the Material Plane. The above limitations apply when a traveler is on an Inner Plane or an
    Outer Plane.") it clearly shouldn't work. This is not a quote mining, anyone with a copy can check, it's all in one sidebar (underbar?). Or if you care for rules having even the remotest connection to fluff you don't even need MotP, just knowing the topology of the planes is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Expedition to the Demonweb Pits p. 69 hasa bunch of Phase Spiders in an encounter explicitly stated to use their Ethereal Jaunt ability while in the Abyss (a non Ethreal coexistent/coterminous plane).

Interpret that information as you will.
    As writers not parsing all the interactions between official rules.

I have nothing against house rules, and disjointed Ether (or Shadow) or multiple Ethers (or Shadows) are a relatively easy patch which allows abilities useful on Prime to be used (almost) everywhere while still making travel between planes difficult (even though I find limitations and changing circumstances more interesting, so as long as campaign doesn't end up being spent mostly on the Planes even Sorc/Bard who got the Shadow Walk have no cause to complain, much less the Wizard). Also as noted old Planescape had Ether connect with Inner Planes (but not Outer). But in the end it is house rules, and should be treated as such.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll double check MotP when I have access to my books but planes not being coterminus does not prevent magical planar travel. You can plane shift directly to a non-coterminus plane, and the first thing shadow walk does is transport you to the intersection of the material and the shadow.

EDIT: You don't need to mine any quotes besides this one:
    If the Plane of Shadow and a particular Outer Plane connect, then the caster should able to cast the shadow walk spell from that Outer Plane. But if the two planes aren’t coexistent or coterminous, the spell won’t work.
    Spell doesn't work on the abyss under the default cosmology, then.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2020-11-27 at 06:04 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

13. - Top - End - #13

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    You don't need to mine any quotes besides this one:
    If the Plane of Shadow and a particular Outer Plane connect, then the caster should able to cast the shadow walk spell from that Outer Plane. But if the two planes aren’t coexistent or coterminous, the spell won’t work.
    Spell doesn't work on the abyss under the default cosmology, then.
    TBH it is a long time since I read MotP, so I used the place I remembered (which also roundaboutly states that shadow walk doesn't work) instead of using more direct explanation which I forgot about.