New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default lets figure out a way to abuse summon component

so i had a thought. summon component creates 1gp of material components that last for 1 round, 2 if extended, 24 if persisted.

now if we immerse these in quintessence, we could spend days to stockpile material components of any kind, no matter how costly, essentially making every spell "free".

problem is, quintessence is not a spell so a wizard cant get it even if he takes levels in wyrm wizard. and no magic psionic transparency does not let powers be treated like "spells" for the purpose of prc qualification, item creation, etc.

i feel like im so close to achieving my goal, so help me reach the finish line. i saw unguent of timelessness but only works on organic and nothing about being reusable so it doesnt work here.

my dm is raw or die, no dragon magazine, no 3rd party, and no web content unless its an errata or a web enhancement of a book.

my dm said no on fabricate.
    he said specific trumps general, fabricate says it converts material into products, and that fabricate targets its own material component, therefore the summoned components are not "consumed" or "annihilated", so once the spell duration is up they disappear. so no using fabricate to turn summoned components into permanent things.

also he said "convert" does not mean increase or decrease mass. so i cant cast fabricate on quintessence and triple its volume.

lastly ignoring material components doesnt let you ignore fabricates, because fabricate needs to target something, and that something is the material component, hence unignorable unless you also somehow remove fabricates target entry.
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2020-11-24 at 02:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: lets figure out a way to abuse summon component

Assuming you actually need to make the quintessence yourself, rather than hiring a psion, having him as a cohort, using an item, etc, you can be a wizard/psion/cerebremancer. You have native access to the wizard spells you want, as well as quintessence.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by ixrisor View Post
    Assuming you actually need to make the quintessence yourself, rather than hiring a psion, having him as a cohort, using an item, etc, you can be a wizard/psion/cerebremancer. You have native access to the wizard spells you want, as well as quintessence.
    3 level delay is a bit too harsh to take though. is there a shortcut of some kind?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorcerer with Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell and/or X Bloodline feat

Spell-to-Power Erudite 3

Then into Cerebremancer

Orrrr...

Wizard 1 with Precocious Apprentice

Spell-to-Power Erudite 3

Then into Cerebremancer
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Sorcerer with Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell and/or X Bloodline feat

Spell-to-Power Erudite 3

Then into Cerebremancer

Orrrr...

Wizard 1 with Precocious Apprentice

Spell-to-Power Erudite 3

Then into Cerebremancer
    ye old heighten spell early entry hahahahahaha.
    not perfect.
    precocious apprentice is like hidden talent. as a sidebar feat not included unless dm says so.
    heighten spell doesnt say "for all intents and purposes". it says "effective level", so it might not satisfy the requirement of ability to cast 2nd level spells. iunno, but i remember my dm saying something like that. if hes wrong by raw then i can overturn his ruling.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

StP erudite lets you learn arcane spells as powers, with the only exception to being "powers" being that spells still need material components unless you spend 2 pp to overcome this limitation. If you get such an erudite as a minion at higher levels and that erudite has access to psychic chirurgery via having a telepath use psychic chirurgery to give it to him, you can learn all the powers and spells-as-powers that he knows.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    StP erudite lets you learn arcane spells as powers, with the only exception to being "powers" being that spells still need material components unless you spend 2 pp to overcome this limitation. If you get such an erudite as a minion at higher levels and that erudite has access to psychic chirurgery via having a telepath use psychic chirurgery to give it to him, you can learn all the powers and spells-as-powers that he knows.
    stp erudite is minds eye, not a web enhancement of complete psionic. so not allowed in my dms game.
    even if it was leadership stuff is off the table because dm chooses cohorts available, not you.
    also special npcs doing stuff like making scrolls or casting class feature boosted stuff on you is also off the table. so cant have every spell as a transmutation spell in scroll form buyable at every shop. stuff like that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Versatile Spellcaster on a Dread Necromancer, Beguiler, or Warmage arguably lets them access level 2s at level 1, as they automatically know all spells of any level of spell they can cast. That, three levels of StP Erudite, and into Cerebremancer only delays you by 1 level
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

why not go straight to fabricate with eschew materials? Raw materials are 1/3rd the value of the final product, so you can make 2gp 99s 97cp worth of anything you like with a casting of an eschew material fabricate. Sure it's a higher level spell that summon component, but it ignores the need for quintessence altogether.

Additionally, if you can get access to it cross-class, it's only a 3rd level spell for trapsmiths.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newguydude1 View Post
    stp erudite is minds eye, not a web enhancement of complete psionic. so not allowed in my dms game.
    even if it was leadership stuff is off the table because dm chooses cohorts available, not you.
    Thrallherd allows you to choose the types of minions you want.

And those Mind's Eye articles sure look like web enhancements to me. Or more to the point, web expansions. They're expanding upon the regular classes, just like web enhancements do. They just happen to be a mix of the XPH and CPsi instead of just one or the other. They're certainly official 1st party content.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-11-24 at 02:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    why not go straight to fabricate with eschew materials? Raw materials are 1/3rd the value of the final product, so you can make 2gp 99s 97cp worth of anything you like with a casting of an eschew material fabricate. Sure it's a higher level spell that summon component, but it ignores the need for quintessence altogether.
    lastly ignoring material components doesnt let you ignore fabricates, because fabricate needs to target something, and that something is the material component, hence unignorable unless you also somehow remove fabricates target entry.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Thrallherd allows you to choose the types of minions you want.

And those Mind's Eye articles sure look like web enhancements to me. Or more to the point, web expansions. They're expanding upon the regular classes, just like web enhancements do. They just happen to be a mix of the XPH and CPsi instead of just one or the other. They're certainly official 1st party content.
    hes the dm and he said only stuff like complete divine web enhancement allowed. so i cant argue anything.

Versatile Spellcaster on a Dread Necromancer, Beguiler, or Warmage arguably lets them access level 2s at level 1, as they automatically know all spells of any level of spell they can cast. That, three levels of StP Erudite, and into Cerebremancer only delays you by 1 level
    interesting ill need to look into this.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

mad Re: lets figure out a way to abuse summon component

Wizard 1 - Alacritous Cogitation and Versatile spellcaster. If you have access to 2nd level scrolls.

Psion 1 - just need to get a minimum of 2 plas of powers that are 2nd level. If a power multiple times is fine then duergar + duergar invisibility feat would work.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Wizard 1 - Alacritous Cogitation and Versatile spellcaster. If you have access to 2nd level scrolls.
    Some Googling on that feat yielded a TO build that starts play with access to 9ths by daisy-chaining Elf Generalist bonus spell slots and bonus ability spell slots up with Versatile Spellcaster. Seems like something OP would be interested in
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Master of Disguise

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Some Googling on that feat yielded a TO build that starts play with access to 9ths by daisy-chaining Elf Generalist bonus spell slots and bonus ability spell slots up with Versatile Spellcaster. Seems like something OP would be interested in
    It doesn't actually work like that. The wording makes it very clear that the bonus slots are of the level you have access to, not what you can cast from. Bonus slots from your ability score only activate when you gain access by class level. You wouldn't be able to cast those 9ths anyway considering you wouldn't have the minimum caster level. It lets you pick spells on level up from the highest level you can cast if you want though.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post

Psion 1 - just need to get a minimum of 2 plas of powers that are 2nd level. If a power multiple times is fine then duergar + duergar invisibility feat would work.
    interesting ill check that out to.

that doesnt work iirc. i remember that trick needing some generous readings a restrictive interpreter can just shutdown with raw. like fabricate in my first post. creating a mountain of adamantine with fabricate and supernatural spell requires a very generous reading.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you use ardent, 2 levels + practiced manifester will get you 2nd level powers. One might also be able to lose the psion levels in some way after qualifying for cerebremancer, effectively having cerebremancer qualify for itself, but I don’t know of a way to do it.

17. - Top - End - #17

i figured it out!!!

dimensional anchor cast on summon component.

dimensional anchor does not stop summoned creatures from returning from whence it came, but a material component is not a creature!

im a genius. bonifide. hahahahaha

spread the word guys, infinite material components for free, just needs lots of dimensional anchors, or some kind of a permanent anti teleport thing
    Last edited by newguydude1; 2020-12-06 at 03:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

spread the word guys, infinite material components for free, just needs lots of dimensional anchors, or some kind of a permanent anti teleport thing
    Hire a Cleric once
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.