New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: HALO 184: Red and Grey All The Way

[A Spooky Ritual]

"Your offering is accepted,"
    Neshiyahel replies.

The rods are gone.

As if they never were.

Zhareen will be able to remember that she made an offering of... something? But what it was, the knowledge of its nature, is nothing but a void. A dark patch in her memory. As it will be to any who knew of them. No records, written or otherwise, remain of their existence.

Utterly forgotten.

Now...

Comes the really stressful part of the ritual.

"Release me from this prison and I will carry out our mutually agreed upon task."

The ritual information was really, really clear on this part. Empyreans aren't like the devils many warlocks are accustomed to binding. Notions of honor and contracts are largely meaningless to them. Save for the fact that the Light of Truth burns on their tongues, rendering the act of lying unpleasant to them, nothing prevents them from simply ignoring an agreement made. Nothing, of course, save for the fact that if knowledge of mendacity becomes widespread it is less likely that other witches or warlocks will summon them to carry out tasks. The upside of this difference is that unlike most devils, they're less likely to completely screw over a summoner on technicalities because that's just as damaging to their reputation as ignoring a task. Maybe even more so.

Zhareen needs only smudge out one of the Signs of Koth in the protective ring and Neshiyahel will be free to begin her mission. The empyrean didn't... flinch... when she said she would carry out the task, so she likely isn't lying.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

[A Spooky Ritual]

This was why Zhareen didn't deal with these kind of entities if she could avoid and only did it in this case as she had been paid to do so, like right now.
    Which is a good time to give their surroundings some more description as they're actually in an outdoors arena a small distance from the compound itself and there's more than one summoning circle within it too.

But this more freeform type of bargain might work out in her employers favor here considering the specifics she now had to include...

"One thing before we do that, great Neshiyahel. You are not supposed to report back to me with the knowledge that you gain. Instead, you are to discreetly deliver it to a place called Anchor Manor located in Inside. Specifically, to an man known as..." She glances down at her hand again. "Eliot." Zhareen looks up at the spooky entity again. "You got all that?"

While she's explaining all of this her acolytes will start to get into one of the other summoning circles which have been designed much like the one currently imprisoning Nashiyahel except it seems to be intended to keep entities out rather than in.

3. - Top - End - #783

[A Spooky Ritual]

Not an unwise precaution.

Wouldn't want an utterly alien being to make them forget how to breath or something on a lark.

That would be pretty tragic.

Zhareen will get the distinct impression that the entity is considering this further request.

Honestly, it is pretty hard to read a creature that has more resemblance to a feather star than any other sane organism.

There's just... way too much of her. And it is WAY too busy.

Eventually she replies. "Very well. I wall accept this addendum to our agreement."

Hooray?

4. - Top - End - #784

[A Spooky Ritual]

"You are too generous, great Neshiyahel. You will now be freed to complete our pact." Zhareen bids with a bow before she picks up an especially long stick made up of two brooms taped together by dutch tape from the ground and retreats into the circle too.

Then, using the two-broom-stick, she erases the symbol which binds Neshiyahel into the circle.

5. - Top - End - #785

[A Spooky Ritual]

Two brooms taped together.

For the purpose of erasing the binding from a 'safe' distance.

The empyrean finds this display deeply amusing for reasons known only to her.

So!

The binding is destroyed and out of the circle steps-!

A girl.

A young woman?

Maybe on the cusp of adulthood? Though that varies largely from culture to culture. Maybe that's why her age is so hard to pin down?

Her complexion is reminiscent of someone who has spent a great deal of time in the sun. The smell of salt about her reminiscent of little seaside settlements. Her attire is simple and her dark hair bound tightly to keep it out of her face. If she walked into any of the little fishing villages around Seaside she could easily vanish into the crowd without a trace.

The girl's eyes wash over the cowering acolytes, a smile growing on her face like a swelling wave ready to break. And then comes a laugh, like the crash of the water upon the shore. Like the beat of ten thousand feathery fins through the shallows.

"Do not be afraid. You have nothing to fear from me. The seat of the king is afar off and there is a long journey before me. It has been too long since my feet walked the sands and I fear I do not know the customs of the land in this day, only in days long since forgotten,"
    she says, looking over those gathered. "Are there any who would be a guide to this humble traveler?"

6. - Top - End - #786

[A Spooky Ritual]

"Erm, I'm afraid I will be needed here..." She glances at her acolytes, surely none of them would accept that sort of bargain would they? This entity was dangerous, even more so than the usually stuff they summoned.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Spooky Ritual]

Standing behind Zhareen are three individuals, each wearing the uniform poncho of the Fourth Tower and each young, but quite different otherwise. Onyeka, a human woman with dark skin and densely curled hair gathered into a bun. Bontu, a vanara woman, clearly very prim aand proper with a pair of spectacles on her nose. Lastly Bili, another vanara, though standing strangely bent with tooth and claw equally sharp. Notably absent to the others, if not their guest, is Korrina who's given birth just last week.

The former two look at the empyrean with obvious concern. Bili, however, gives a strange smile to the being. It may be apparently that there's the smell of spirits lingering on them, years old.

It's not they that speaks up, though, but Onyeka. The woman has steeled herself and lifts her chin before speaking. "I would be your guide."

8. - Top - End - #788

[A Spooky Ritual]

This girl is...

A strange thing.

A spiritual void.

No soul, no spirit, no metaphysical presence at all.

Her existence is a merely a brute fact of reality.

Neshiyahel is and nothing more.

"I would be honored to have you as my guide, Onyeka. You have my word that I will not seek to cause you harm on this journey," the girl that is not says, raising one hand and bowing her head slightly in an oath. "There is a fourth, is there not? One more that would also relish this opportunity?"

She tilts her head off to the side slightly, her eyes moving as if reading something unseen.

"Ah. Korrina. A new mother? A joyful occasion that warrants a gift," Neshiyahel says, reaching one hand into the bosom of her rob before withdrawn her hand holding a little green stone shaped vaguely like one of the ancient Venus figures, a spiral marking on the image's belly. She'll place it on whatever object happens to be a handy table as she passes it. "For the passage of time, that it may be kind to her."

There's nothing magical about the stone. Any arcane analysis will reveal it to be nothing more than a little mundane trinket.

The books detailing these entities makes it abundantly clear that whatever blasphemous power they wield is in no way related to the arcane laws of the world. They are, rather, something alien imposed from without. So the trinket MIGHT be more than just a rock.

"Shall we depart? I am eager to see this king returned to forgotten myth."

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library]

Maria just works here... probably.

She is definitely at the front desk, acting the part of the aloof librarian who doesn't care who comes and who goes, as long as they get to read their own book in peace. This is what the black haired woman in her thirties appears to be doing. Well that and writing down something in a second book as she reads the first. No, not writing. Pressing down dots in patterns.

To be most accurate, she is transcribing this book into braille.

[Fish Watching]

"That... makes a lot of sense." All of the things Venus says make plenty of sense to Rein. When it comes to defense, it's better to bend than to buffet. "Yeah, ok then. Business as usual. And if cultists happen to swing by... hide. Ok. You might want to learn if you can breathe underwater sooner rather than later then." Underwater is one of the best hiding spots.

"We have a pool we can use to check now if you want." Rein glances down at Manja. It was probably fine to help Venus with this and watch Manja at the same time. Maybe. Actually, he's not sure how Manja does around water. Has she hated her baths so far or enjoyed them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #790

[A Spooky Ritual]

Zhareen would have asked if she were certain, but she knew better than to question the girls commitment after all this time. But she could also tell that it hadn't been an easy decision either.
    "Oh my dear girl... please do take one of the phones with you." She gestures towards the main compound. "And ask Vax if you can have one of our hearth fetishes. You know how to use it."

The fetish was a powerful but simple creation. If its head was removed, something which was relatively easy to do. The person 'killing it' would be protected and be brought home safely. Though how this worked was something of a mystery since while Zhareen often asked the acolytes to bring the hearth fetishes with them on various tasks outside the compound they had yet been forced to use them, being only for emergencies.

She makes no comment regarding the trinket for now, all her attention being focused on Onyeka.

[Library]

"Erm, hello? I'm here to report back on the case of the mysteriously spreading story." She declares as she approaches Maria.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Spooky Ritual]

Onyeka nods firmly. "I'll need a few minutes to prepare." She looks to Zhareen for the indication that it's safe to leave the circle now. Once she receives it she steps out and faces Neshiyahel. "Please wait here." With that she'll hurry inside.

After several minutes she'll return wearing a sturdier pair of shoes, a satchel on her back, and a scarf wrapped over her hair. On her waist, binding the ends of her poncho down, is a belt which carries two wands. She steps in front of Neshiyahel again. "I'm ready."

12. - Top - End - #792

[A Spooky Ritual]

Neshiyahel waits.

It makes no difference to her how long it takes for her guide to return.

A minute? A day? A year? An aeon?

What are such things to her?

When Onyeka returns the definitely normal human girl replies with an incline of her head.

"So you say."

She turns her attention toward the sea, toward the crash of the waves and the throngs of teeming things that fill them.

"The deep stands between us and the forgotten king's throne. How shall we traverse it?"

Neshiyahel is curious regarding the answer to this puzzle. The ships she remembers from ages past were not swift and required many slaves to row them.

13. - Top - End - #793

[A Spooky Ritual]

"I... Bontu, can you type in the number to Vaxy? I need to make a call." She still hadn't figured out to use that thing.
    But her intention is to negotiating a way for them to use the portal to HALO so they can go from there to Inside. This can probably largely be done off-screen.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Laboratory]

"You're a sorceress too?" Dorota turns to look at Siiva. "Well, it's probably a different kind of sorcery than I'm used to. I won't turn down any help. There's probably something I'm missing that will be obvious in retrospect. And undead aren't normally my area of expertise. Joining HALO is something I did to get to do something different than before."
    "Builder first, sorceress second---and I imagine it might be." She listens and nods, glancing at the various alchemical accoutrements. "And that's why it's great to work together---together, we can probably catch things we'd miss separately! And I agree about wanting to do different things---well, in my case, kind of the same thing, but working with people more and being able to make a better impact!"
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

15. - Top - End - #795

[Fish Watching]

If they're both tired and they both independently think it makes sense, then it obviously makes sense.

"Added benefit: if I can just swim in and out of here, then I could leave and enter whenever without worrying about someone following," Venus says, having just thought of that. "Except maybe mermaids and shark-people."

She gets up from the bench.
    "Definitely worth trying. Benefits just keep on cropping up."

Manja is pretty fickle when it comes to water. Sometimes she loves it, sometimes she's against it. When someone else is in the water, she wants to get in but she doesn't want to be in the water if she's the only one. But, more importantly, she hates it when someone tries to put her before she wants to go in, but when she thinks it's her own choice first she's perfectly okay with it. If you don't want her in the water, act like you're going to put her in is the most surefire way to ensure she stays away, and acting like she's not allowed in is guaranteed to maker her want to go in.
    She's difficult like that.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2022-03-30 at 01:12 AM. Reason: forgot a word
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Spooky Ritual]

"Of course." Bontu replies and dials Vax for Zhareen. Meanwhile Bili steps out of the circle to go pick up Korrina's gift. They hold it aloft and look at it with one eye closed.

Onyeka looks back at Zhareen, then back to her charge. "We'll arrange a more rapid form of transit, passing threw a secondary location first."

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library]

Maria doesn't look up at first at the approaching sea oracle. "Mystery based literature can be found in aisles K through L," she says in a tired voice, like she'd rather be doing anything else than helping Zhareen find her mystery novels.

When Zhareen doesn't leave and the shadow remains firmly planted where it is, only then does Maria pause what she's doing and tear her eyes away from the books in front of her to look up. Wow! That... that person's big. Ok. "Was there a specific title you were inquiring about?" Maria asks, clearly having not paid attention the first time around.

[Fish Watching]

"I can't say we've had issues with sharks or shark people. Mermaids, well..." Reinholdt just grins, thinking Harley looks cute as a mermaid. Well that's a lie, he thinks Harley looks cute almost all the time, but he has fond memories of mermaid Harley. Venus probably has no idea why he's grinning.

Which is probably fine. He will go to pick Manja up and scoop her into his arms. Then he'll lead the way to the pool!

"Locker room is right over there if you need to get changed first." Most people don't like jumping into a pool with all their normal clothes on. Rein will set Manja down and sit down on a bench beside her. "Alright, no going in the pool Manja. We're just going to be here a little bit, ok?" Shouldn't take long, so it's not time to go swimming! Apparently Rein hasn't quite figured out exactly how much like him his daughter is yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

[Laboratory]

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    "Builder first, sorceress second---and I imagine it might be." She listens and nods, glancing at the various alchemical accoutrements. "And that's why it's great to work together---together, we can probably catch things we'd miss separately! And I agree about wanting to do different things---well, in my case, kind of the same thing, but working with people more and being able to make a better impact!"
    Dorota can't really argue with that. She has experienced it since coming to HALO.

"Do you have any initial projects you'd like to focus on, that could use my help? Seems only fair, since you've offered to help me with the purifier."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #799

[Fish Watching: Pool]

Venus is now thinking that Reinholdt is fondly reminiscing about that time the base was attacked by mermaids.

She goes along to the pool. "Hmm..." She looks over to the locker room, while thinking about what she'll change into. "Yeah, okay." And so, she leaves Rein and the baby alone as she goes to get changed.

Sure, Manja is told no going into the pool. But what she hears is that...well, she hears that she's not supposed to be in the pool. But now she looks at the pool and starts to wonder why not and maybe she actually should? The water does look pretty nice, after all. Why would they be here if not to go into the water?
    She doesn't make a move...yet.
    She looks up at her father.
    Figuring it'd be a lot easier (she can walk around better in cat form, after all!), Manja turns into her small cat form, and...waits.

Not much longer, Venus comes out. Not wearing the dress, but wearing the top part of a tankini, and some kind of floral pareo skirt. They're made out of nature magic, so should hold up to getting wet in the pool. And her hair's not straight down, either.
    "Yeah, okay. Um..." How is this supposed to work, anyway? "How do you want me to signal you that I'm drowning instead of just...not drowning?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Library]

Maria doesn't look up at first at the approaching sea oracle. "Mystery based literature can be found in aisles K through L," she says in a tired voice, like she'd rather be doing anything else than helping Zhareen find her mystery novels.

When Zhareen doesn't leave and the shadow remains firmly planted where it is, only then does Maria pause what she's doing and tear her eyes away from the books in front of her to look up. Wow! That... that person's big. Ok. "Was there a specific title you were inquiring about?" Maria asks, clearly having not paid attention the first time around.
    [Library]

Zhareen puts her hands on her hips and frowns at Maria. "M'am, with all due respect. I think you are in need of sleep. You sound awful."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

[Fish Watching: Pool]

Reinholdt narrows his eyes at Manja. Manja only ever turns into a cat when she's about to do something naughty she's not supposed to do. As if being that cute will stop her from getting a time out. "Don't you dare..." Floaties are even more difficult to put on kittens than babies. Twice the reason to not get in the water!

He gets momentarily distracted by Venus, however, and looks up at her. "Well, if it were me and I found I wasn't able to breathe underwater, I would stand up and surface out of the pool." Rein recommends a basic course of action. That's why they're doing it in the pool to begin with! "But if you're not able to do that, flailing about in a panic is a good sign... no wait, you shouldn't do that. Umm... just raise both arms up I guess. Give me something to grab and pull." But really, standing up is her best option. There is a shallow end, use it!

[Library]

Maria stares at Zhareen incredulously. "I will consider stated course of action upon completion of my current task. Currently, was there a specific piece of literature you were in search of?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #802

[Library]

"M'am, I'm here regarding the King In Rags. I was sent to investigate changes in reality related to the story you described to me, remember?" She honestly couldn't remember the details of the briefing anymore, but she was on the right track here at least... correct?

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Laboratory]

Dorota can't really argue with that. She has experienced it since coming to HALO.

"Do you have any initial projects you'd like to focus on, that could use my help? Seems only fair, since you've offered to help me with the purifier."
    "Hmm..." She murmurs a little under her breath as if mentally trying to order a list. "I think I'd want to start with something I mentioned earlier---figuring out a cement that sets really, really quickly without sacrificing strength. Not too out-there, just improving on something that exists, but it'd be an important tool to have."
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

24. - Top - End - #804

[VIGIL calling to the underworldwater base]

Cessie Mithar is calling HALO according to the display. But whose going to pick up the phone?

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

[Laboratory]

"Hmm." Dorota considers the problem for some time. "A fairly practical idea, yes. I can't think of anything off-hand that would achieve it, but with some research we might get there. The biggest challenge will be keeping the solidity of the cement. It will probably require some specific ingredients. But if we want to use it widely, it can't require anything rare, expensive and difficult to find. A conundrum."

[VIGIL calling to the underworldwater base]

"This is HALO speaking, how can we help?"

It appears the phone was picked up by someone Cessie knows pretty well.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

26. - Top - End - #806

[Laboratory]

"Dorota, what a pleasure to speak to you again. It's Cessie and I'm calling regarding a task VIGIL need HALO's assistant with. May I discuss that with you or should I talk to Fel or Rein?" She likely recognize her friends voice.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

[Laboratory]

"Oh, hello, Cessie. I suppose you can start with telling me what the task is, then we'll see if it's something I need to inform them about." It could be something she can deal with herself.

28. - Top - End - #808

[Laboratory]

"Well, that's going to require some... context. See, there's a woman here working at the base whose brother has a malfunctioning brain implant. Basically, he enhanced his mind with a device but over time this device has malfunctioned causing him to get increasingly unstable. So much so that he's joined the slavers guild in Skyside and is causing all kinds of misery if rumors are to be believed. We've tried talking to him but he's now cut all connections and quickly seems to descend beyond all hope of saving. We still want to give it a shot however but there's a problem. He's expecting us and his unstable mind has made him extremely paranoid too so trying to get him out would be extremely difficult. Therefore, I was wondering if HALO would be willing to lend us a hand here. Either by capturing him yourself or, ah, assisting another non-member that I believe would have a pretty good chance of succeeding. Cessie attempts to explain.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

[Laboratory]

Dorota is silent for a moment as she processes this information.

"I don't know if there's anyone here qualified to capture someone like that. Our focus is research nowadays. Not capturing dangerous people in dangerous places. If this other person is more suited, assistance might be possible."

30. - Top - End - #810

[[VIGIL calling to the underworldwater base]]

"I'm well aware, though I'm not sure just how many of your old members that still remain who were more than capable of handling situations like this. Either way, the non-member is actually someone you know. Ambrosia Ithil." If that was her real name, Cessie suddenly wasn't sure. Now that she thought about it, 'Ambrosia' did not sound like a Hyshun name at all. Though as the empire was huge it was possible she was from a region of it that she simply didn't know about...

"But, ah, I wouldn't want to discuss the details of it over the phone without her present. So if HALO are interested in assisting we could perhaps set up a meeting between everyone relevant? Since I wouldn't be the person leading this mission either. I'm just trying to put it together."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-04-03 at 11:21 AM.