New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: HALO 184: Red and Grey All The Way

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [(near) Entrance Hall]

Since all the other people who were talking are now gone (or are farther away), this means Magtok's voice echoes down the hallways more.

And!
    Harley hears his voice.
    It's both from a voice of somebody she knows and, even better, it's a voice from somebody who's real!

This really helps her get grounded again and break out of the panic attack.

She gets up and tries to track down the direction Magtok's voice.

She gets there.
    "M...Magtok?" Harley says as soon as she sees him. She's sort-of kind-of using the wall as support right now, since she still hasn't entirely shaken off the panic yet. "I'm so glad, that's such a..."
    She spots the sticky note.
    Harley bites her bottom lip but even that's not enough to stop her from laughing. "Oh, that's perfect." She runs her hand under her eyes and across her face, and then - her voice getting more in control - "Thanks, I really needed that."
    "I figured anyone trying to pretend to be me would take me too seriously to do something like this, so-" he pauses and raises an eyebrow. Wait, who is he speaking to, exactly? The voice sounds kinda familiar, but it's been a while since he's been down here in HALO, so if it's not Reinholdt or Felandria, then-

"Harley? I didn't know you hung around here now," he remarks, once his memory files have identified her. I've no idea if he's seen her current form before or not, but there's probably enough body language and vocal patterns to put two and two together.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Right now she actually looks pretty similar to how she did in AMEN: skin color, hair color, accent, and a bunch of other stuff.

"Oh. Yeah, that's a long story," Harley says. Talking is helping. Steady breathing. She twists her hair on her finger. "My house had gotten partially destroyed, and while on a job I danced with Felandria and she suggested I come here. Didn't really bother with it." Harley grabs (and pinches) her elbow now and looks down (trying to get her mind off her missing daughter for long enough to get decently under control), with her other hand. "Then I got pregnant, got...cursed to turn into a mermaid whenever I get wet, was attacked by an assassin who finished off my house, and then got in a nasty accident that required me to stop going to any of my jobs. So, at that point, Reinholdt helped me move in to here."

"...So, yeah. long story."
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-01-25 at 09:27 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #123

(near) Entrance Hall

"You've had a long year," Magtok remarks, offering himself up as a serious contender for 2021's understatement of the year award. He adjusts the sticky note, relocating it to the shinier side of his head when it starts to bug him a little, and looks past Harley down the hallway, before turning around and checking the entrance he came in from, too. Nobody's dying or screaming or exploding at the moment, insofar as he can tell. Did someone else already deal with the crisis? Did he get here too late for whatever excitement was supposed to be going down?

"So any idea what Faketok is doing? Is he working alone, or does he have allies? If he has a team, maybe I could trick them into thinking I'm the real fake Magtok, and we could turn his strategy against him to-" Mag stops and shakes his head. No no no, that's entirely too ridiculous; it'd never work. In fact, it's so completely absurd and impossible that Magtok totally doesn't write the plan down on the opposite side of the sticky note, which is likely losing a lot of its adhesive material every time the cyborg shifts it around like this. There, now that we have it written down, we know exactly what not to do, under any circumstances. We have a plan that we definitely won't deploy at the very first opportunity, just for kicks and giggles.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Simulation Room - Labs]

So needy! Rein's hand goes back to Manja and gently rubs the underside of her chin as he starts looking around.

"You can. But it is certainly well protected and you'd have to get to the security room, which is guarded and fix whatever damage was done. If, uh, I programmed the base weapons in." The dorm rooms were lacking, so he doesn't know what else he hasn't gotten to yet. "It's one of the harder routes to do, as is sneaking aboard his sub."

Reinholdt moves towards a lab storage closet he spots. "Another option includes evacuating everyone and self-destructing the base so he can't have it. Also if you destroy enough of his Creations, Doctor Affidavit comes here to deal with you himself and you can take him out then, though I think he gets to upload into his sub and run away that way. All of them should theoretically end the simulation."

He can't fight while holding Manja with two hands, and even shooting a pistol with one hand means a loud gun is going off right next to a baby. He needs to hide her for now and opens the storage closet door, kneeling down as he searches for a good spot.

There's a sudden loud sound of metal rending into metal back at the door they entered from as sharp metallic claws tear into the door poking in from the other side. It appears the enemy's Creations have arrived, by the sound coming from it.
    Felandria turns towards the sounds of the invading forces.

Right, then, it’s a shootout, then.

Luckily, I have my trusty sidearm, you may remember it.

Felandria pulls out the Lightning AK-47, just as....

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Outside Simulation Room]

"It's worth a try," Dorota says, without much conviction. She then selects Felandria on her communicator. "Miss Felandria? Can you hear me? We're outside the simulation room."
    Fel reaches for her communicator with her free hand.

Yeah, we’re in here, Dorota.

Sim room’s on the fritz, we gotta fight our way out of this.
    Last edited by Felandria; 2021-01-28 at 03:05 AM.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

[Simulation Room - Labs]

Reinholdt eyes the firearm with a little bit of envy, biting his lower lip. "Yeah, I remember it. Fair warning, these Creations are well shielded against electrical attacks. Not immune perhaps, but it won't be as effective. Doctor Affidavit predicted that kind of counter." If your robots aren't protected from electricity, you're just asking for cliche levels of defeat!

Turning back to Manja, Rein attempts to reassure her. "It'll be ok. You're fine. Here." Her dad pulls out his special ushanka and puts it on her head. It's a magical hat that resizes to fit the head that wears it, even when they shapeshift. It also neutralizes poison and magically keeps the wearer warm. Not a stifling sort of warmth that would leave a person feeling hot and sweaty if it was worn inside. More like the sort of warmth one experiences from a nice cup of coco while sitting in front of a crackling Thanksmas fire. It might not be as nice as being held, but it's still very nice. Hopefully nice enough to keep Manja calm as he places her down in the corner. "I'll be right back," He says, closing the door.

Reinholdt steps back towards the middle of the room, flips a lab table without hesitation, sending glass shards flying towards the entrance. As he crouches down and pulls out a shotgun, his ears perk up overhearing Fel talking to someone else. "Dorota? Fel let me see that-" There's a louder crash than the table made when the door is finally wrenched from its frame. With no barricades in place to hinder their movement, they begin to rush inside, slowed only by the temporary choke point. Rather interested in not being killed, Rein pumps the shotgun once, pops up from the cover and fires, the deafening noise less of a concern to him than keeping the enemies from successfully surrounding Fel and himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #126

(near) Entrance Hall

Harley laughs along with the understatement-of-the-year-nomination. "Believe me, that was only half the year, too." She didn't even get in to the whole being-beheaded saga that her player put her in.

She looks in the direction he looked, in case there was anything there. "I don't know what's going on. Felandria said the base was under attack, but..." Harley takes a deep breath. Okay, her shadows and reflections have stopped talking with her, so maybe now she can think about what an awful mother she is again. "That's obviously not happening. I've been all over the base tracking down my missing daughter and there's only been a few explosion-noises but they didn't sound substantive, and. . ."

Harley trails off and thinks.
    Starting just before the kitchen, she noticed traces of another person with her daughter.
    She didn't even think about it, but now it makes sense. Considering what direction that person - Fel, probably - and Manja were headed, she now has a complete picture of what happened.
    "!"
    She turns back to Magtok. "Fel found my daughter, and brought her to Rein. He was certainly in that Simulation Room. A hologram version of you must have become sentient and is trying to escape the simulation to the rest of the base, and Fel and Manja got caught up in it all!" That's why Felandria specified that it was a fake Magtok. It all makes sense now! (Well, she still doesn't know how Manja got out of the crib and crawled around on her own, but that's a less-important question.)
    On the one hand, it's a relief to know that her months-old daughter isn't wandering around alone. On the other hand, it also means her months-old daughter is trapped with a sentient AI.

Not sure how this affects Magtok's overly-complicated plan, but he might have to remove that sticky note again and make a few amendments.

Simulation Room

Obviously, being alone and warm isn't as good as being held.

However...being warm gives her the feeling of being safe. The baby reluctantly stops fussing and is put into the corner easily.

But! You owe her later, she wants to threaten (but isn't old enough to put that feeling into words). You have to come right back and hold her forever afterward or she'll be mad at you! probably.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-01-28 at 01:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Dorota sighs with relief. Alright. There's a line of communication, at least.

"Mr. C and I are outside the room. But I don't know if there's anything we can do from here. There's a button about introducing an apex predator. That probably wouldn't help."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

It's getting on later in the day and Reinholdt has taken Manja out for some father/daughter time. And also to give Harley a little bit of a break. It's a nice chance to relax and read some of the books that have been piling up or whatever she wants to do with her free time. It might be getting close to when she would start considering whether it's worth moving to get dinner, when she gets a very unusual text from an unknown number.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thuqh zhmlsf abjrlk hdhf,
    Nyhuaz oly tvaoly qbza vul khf.
    Pm zol'k sprl zvtl tvyl jsblz,
    Zol zovbsk joljr oly budvyu zovlz.

It's possible they have the wrong number.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #129

[Another Point in Time]

Definitely reading.
    Harley is in the library.

Since they were texting her and not calling her, Harley considers not even giving her phone the time of day to look at it. If it's a text, then it can't be that important, and whoever sent it would be okay with waiting six or seven or twelve hours before it gets looked at.
    That's what she thinks at first.

However, there is a very real possibility that it's Reinholdt trying to give a silent message that they need help and are being held hostage, or that Manja needed to be rushed to the hospital, or that she suddenly sprouted thorns all over her and won't calm down or . . .something.
    As soon as she realizes those are all possibilities of what happened, she quickly pulls out her phone and looks at the message.

Of course, it's all nonsense.
    Wait, maybe it's...what's-it-called...an encrypted message? Yeah, those are a thing phones get sometimes.
    After putting a bookmark to save her spot, she gets up and goes to a computer, and then searches up different languages that it could be, or common ciphers that it might be? Honestly, ciphers are a little harder. If you're going to send someone an encrypted message, you should plan out which cipher to use beforehand! That's just common sense!
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

A quick attempt at one of the online translation programs indicates it's probably not a separate language. At least no language that's been programmed into the Tongues translator yet.

A cipher seems much more likely and a short search suggests that this cipher is probably a simple Caesar cipher. Perhaps the simplest of ciphers, it is a letter by letter replacement of the alphabet, but keeps the letters in the same order, instead shifting everything. Based on the example shown on the computer, if the cipher shifted the alphabet by 2, then A becomes C, while C becomes E, etc. etc., with Z wrapping around to become B. An ACE is shown as CEG. Variations of this cipher is based solely on how far the alphabet shifts, making options rather limited.

Not exactly the best cipher to choose for encrypting important messages really.

With this information, Harley could probably solve it herself by hand. Alternatively, she could just put the message into a decoder online as they have quite a few that can handle this for her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

11. - Top - End - #131

[Another Point in Time]

Harley, of course, tries out that cipher, since it was recommended. Since she didn't consider just finding a decipher online, after reading and rereading on how it works, she starts to do it half in her head and half writing it out.

LAMIA...? So far, that's the only word that she got for the first word, but then the second word is nonsense. Shape-changing into a lamia wouldn't really do anything, she thinks.
    Wait, maybe 'Y' is in the alphabet. That would change a lot.

It only takes several more tries until she gets MANIA for the first word.
    That has to be right!
    That one's the right letter. It's definitely a word that she recognizes. And! Better yet, the second word is also one she recognizes, if it's that way: SAFELY. MANIA SAFELY.
    Mania safely tucjed a...k...
    Oh.
    Harley realizes she probably should have checked the whole text for which alphabet was getting used. That might change things. English, obviously. That's the language she's been speaking in, so of course that's the language the cipher would use. She was just so excited about getting to do it that she forgot to do English...
    She only learned what order the 23 normal letters came in, and the 24-letter alphabet she knows too since it wasn't that different, but not all 26. She could probably go look up what order the letters w and k come in, but...she already shut down the computer. Maybe if she just solves it now and keeps those letters, and then she can alter it and maybe figure out what order they should come in?

Mania safely tucjed akay,
    Grants her mother iust one day.
    Wf she'd lwje some more clues,
    She should checj her unkorn shoes.

Well, obviously it should be Manja and not Mania. Just one day. And that would make 'tuck' and 'check'.
    Unborn shoes? What even is that?
    No, wait, if 'k' was 'b' then that would say 'abay' which isn't a word, she thinks. Alay? No...Aray? nope. Asay...'s' is already taken, in 'safely'. Away! Unworn! Unworn shoes, not unborn shoes.

She needs to check...her shoe closet? Or is it Manja's shoes? Those ones would be unworn, too.
    Harley gets up, and (taking the book with her) goes to her room to look through all the shoes, trying to find another clue.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #132

(near) Entrance Hall

Harley laughs along with the understatement-of-the-year-nomination. "Believe me, that was only half the year, too." She didn't even get in to the whole being-beheaded saga that her player put her in.

She looks in the direction he looked, in case there was anything there. "I don't know what's going on. Felandria said the base was under attack, but..." Harley takes a deep breath. Okay, her shadows and reflections have stopped talking with her, so maybe now she can think about what an awful mother she is again. "That's obviously not happening. I've been all over the base tracking down my missing daughter and there's only been a few explosion-noises but they didn't sound substantive, and. . ."

Harley trails off and thinks.
    Starting just before the kitchen, she noticed traces of another person with her daughter.
    She didn't even think about it, but now it makes sense. Considering what direction that person - Fel, probably - and Manja were headed, she now has a complete picture of what happened.
    "!"
    She turns back to Magtok. "Fel found my daughter, and brought her to Rein. He was certainly in that Simulation Room. A hologram version of you must have become sentient and is trying to escape the simulation to the rest of the base, and Fel and Manja got caught up in it all!" That's why Felandria specified that it was a fake Magtok. It all makes sense now! (Well, she still doesn't know how Manja got out of the crib and crawled around on her own, but that's a less-important question.)
    On the one hand, it's a relief to know that her months-old daughter isn't wandering around alone. On the other hand, it also means her months-old daughter is trapped with a sentient AI.

Not sure how this affects Magtok's overly-complicated plan, but he might have to remove that sticky note again and make a few amendments.
    "Oh good, it sounds like you have everything figured out now," the cyborg nods, which is great because he still has no idea what's going on or what the hell Harley is talking about. Is Manja the daughter, or is she talking about her Japanese comic collection and saying 'manga' wrong? Also, what's the difference between and explosion noise and a substantive explosion noise in an undersea base like this? Doesn't it only take one good explosion to get an entire room sealed off and flooded with high-pressure ocean currents? Magtok considers asking one or two of these questions aloud, but thinks better of it. Harley clearly has a lot of stressful things on her mind right now, and she doesn't need Magtok adding more violent and terrible hypotheticals to the workload.

"So I guess the plan is to find either the Simulation Room or the control console for the Simulation Room, and pull some emergency shut-off switch?" Just turn it off and back on again, that's how most technological disasters in the MagCave are averted!
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

On her way to check her closet, Harley will get another text!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reply HINT for a hint
    or
    Reply SOLVE for the solution

Well neither of those things she needs. She must have solved it faster than expected based on when she received the follow up message.

When she gets to her closet she'll find something easily enough. A piece of paper is sticking up out of a very nice pair of shoes. Above it conspicuously are some of her favorite dresses she mentioned to Rein at one point or another, often in the 'I love the way it looks, but never get an opportunity to wear it' kind of way. Unless she has none of those, in which case it would be a very new outfit.

The paper reads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tci iquxu ew kwh iqu hvuxx kaepu,
    Cwiml iquf smi fec lmru k nlepu.
    Fecv aukcif klokfx xicwx zu, M omll wupuv sevnui,
    Iqu oewhuvscl wmnqix ou xqkvuh kwh iqu tlkju ou smvxi zui.

Or more accurately doesn't read at all. It won't take long either for Harley to realize the solution isn't the same as last time and also not quite as simple as a perfect rotation of the alphabet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #134

[Hallway]

If Harley had a Japanese comic collection, her entire collection would be josei, romance slice-of-life, and magical girl comics.

"Yeah, those sound like pretty great plans," Harley says. "I've been to the Simulation Room a couple of times recently. Fastest way there, this way." She takes the most direct route there, going a bit faster than just walking pace, since this is really important and she has way too much adrenaline pumping through her. "I've never used the controls outside of the room, though, so I don't know how they work or if there's some master controls somewhere. Only used the inside-room controls."

They'll quickly arrive outside the [Simulation Room], where Dorota and Mr. C are looking at the control panel trying to solve it.

[Another Point in Time]

Since this new text is probably connected to the last one, Harley decides to check it instead of just (because she's busy) leaving it unread like she normally would.
    And she sees this as an opportunity.
    She can probably get whoever sent it to underestimate how far along she's solving it. That'll give her the upper hand (...whatever 'having the upper hand' means in this situation, she's still not entirely sure, but it probably means something). And she can get the messager back for failing to include a cipher key or encrypt key or whatever. Sure, sending the key with the message would be a pretty bad idea, in case it gets intercepted, but there's definitely options to get around that problem.

And upon getting to the closet and seeing the shoes and the dress, she suddenly has an idea of what exactly to message back. Instead of HINT or SOLVE, she just messages back LAMIA?, and sticks her tongue out at the phone.
    Sure, she used the wrong alphabet to get to that answer so there's no way the LAMIA message would be understood, but at the very least it should provide enough confusion to give her a minor advantage.

She grabs the paper first, then the shoes, and finally the dress. She used to have several 'never get an opportunity to wear it' dresses, but...unfortunately, both Watchtower and vigilantes seem to have had an obsession with destroying her wardrobe. (Plus, there's the one that she wore on the mermaid-date, but that one seems to have turned into a seashell bra and she still hasn't figured out how to turn it back.) By now, she only has exactly one left that fits into that category: a purple (silver accents!) backless (with straps!) A-Line with a slit that goes up too far for her to be comfortable wearing without special reason. And that's definitely not where she left it, so it's obvious she should wear it.

Then, Harley bites her lip, and smirks. She hasn't used her snakegirl/lamia identity since before she got pregnant. Harley changes into the dress, and starts shifting her body, too. Pointy ears. Dark red scales, same color as the mermaid scales. Some scales on her cheeks, teeth, snake body starts at her hips and is completely snakelike around her upper thighs. Oh! Can't forget thermal vision, too, in addition to normal vision.
    She'll have to carry the shoes, though, just in case she actually does need those later.

There!
    Now that she's ready, she looks more carefully at the message. Yup, there's a W. So...she should probably go look up where in the alphabet 'W' fits. Somewhere near the end, she's sure, somewhere between U and Z.
    With the single 'k' and 'M', that leaves only three options, so this message shouldn't be that hard.
    She returns to the library (with the book, shoes, message, and phone) to power up the computer again. While waiting, she tries 'I' and 'A' and 'O' for those single letters.

Obviously it doesn't work. She can't get any words to fall out of it.
    She bites her lip again. Then immediately stops, because she forgot that she made her teeth pointier.
    It's a harder code.
    No, she's going to figure this one out. She looks over the coded message again, trying to find patterns or obvious weak points.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

There is a disparity of time between her reply of LAMIA and a response. The response is kind of lame too, being a literal repeat of the previous text offering hints and solutions for an already solved problem. Still, if she's savvy enough, she might be able to tell that the person replying was at a loss of how to reply, given the length of time it takes for a response. She has them teetering on the wrong foot.

In the meantime, however, the lamia whose name is unknown at this point, has another puzzle to solve! One of the common suggestions coming from the computer for solving some ciphers involve looking for frequent two or three letter words. These are usually some of the most common words of a language. For instance if kh shows up four times, then kh probably stands for it, an, on, etc. Something similar that can be tested and made a good starting point.

Looking over the paper LAMIA has, the most common grouping appears to be 'iqu' and is probably this puzzle's weak point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #136

[Another Point in Time]

She had gone by Coral Asmodeus as a snakegirl before, but...it's been long enough and that identity had to suddenly disappear with no warning. So...she was kind-of considering reinventing it. Well, she hadn't decided on anything yet.

But!
    This is really exciting! Honestly, it's been ages since she's had to decode a secret message. This is bringing back so many memories! Stealing battle plans and other messages and then decoding them, then re-encoding fake messages. Looking at this reminds her that she's really out of practice.

Snek-Harley figures she can probably buy some more time and convince the messager that she's farther back than she actually is. If she requests a hint for the first puzzle, then that might lead to an opportunity. After making some progress on the new puzzle, she messages back HINT.

Okay, with that taken care of...she's pretty sure she's figured out most the vowels. And the letters g, h, n, and t. It probably references the next place to look, so...that might help her figure out some of the words. These on...nights...shaved? No, a letter probably wouldn't be replaced with itself. She'll come back to that word later. Wait! Never forget! Okay.

Harley hopes she's not taking too long. It would be a waste if she used up all the extra time she bought by pretending to still be stuck on the first message. She just barely got the last of the vowels and only needs to figure out the most important words. Put on these (the shoes?) and the dress...check, already done that. Presumably the location is hidden behind some of the last few letters. The problem is that there's still too many options for them, so she needs to narrow it down with the other words. Looks like she needs to figure out L...it's probably E...wait, no, she's already used that letter. Hold on! No, it's actually just itself.

Okay.
    She has...
    J, M, Q, and Z remaining.

It took her a while to get started after realizing the first cipher pattern she used didn't work, but...in all, it's taken just over forty-five minutes including getting changed.

Okay, she thinks she's figured it out. After rereading it, Harley smiles. Not only was this fun so far, it was also really cute. This was all just planned out so that she wouldn't get bored or feel lonely without the baby? Must've taken a while to set this all up. And without her noticing in her closet, too! Where they first met...ha. Remembering back to that is pretty embarrassing. If she's right about all this, it's got to be that bench, right?

She should probably leave the book here, then. Taking just the shoes and herself, she goes to the ferry place, looking for that bench.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #137

Dorota sighs with relief. Alright. There's a line of communication, at least.

"Mr. C and I are outside the room. But I don't know if there's anything we can do from here. There's a button about introducing an apex predator. That probably wouldn't help."

"We migth add, that the controll panel doesn't leave us any other options. There was no option to end the simulation and it appears to draw power by itself. I'm not firm with this thing, but I assume we shut the thing down in any way it might have a negativ effect on all inside the simulation." Thats kinda what they found out. right?
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

A ping comes back on her phone.

SHIFT 7

Indeed, that is a hint for the first puzzle, so whomever is doing this is not watching her current progress. They must have some other way to provide hints and/or solutions to the other puzzles. But she also asked for a hint way later than they expected for the first puzzle. This is definitely not within their plans! Perhaps Asmodeus was one of those stubborn types who only asked for hints after spending long periods of time failing. Whatever the case, the person on the other end of the phone would have to adjust their timetable, basically ensuring that Holly has solved the second puzzle with excessive amounts of time left that she bought for herself by tricking him.

That bench has nothing special on it, but taped under it is another paper, another riddle.

Spoiler
    Show
    FYmeoewuXXrtcXoalXnaoXsmmtiaXttc,c
    lHhuoXewyXXocwuaornnXXdibenercXfrfu
    eolduXinabdXlXmeaoXtmwXXitytho,euAXXnhaderXlei
    pXtXtXdoweXosMukalXndojXfabXXetsXhoreXuXsdmmeaaXll ollf..X
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #139

[Another Point in Time]

Harley sits down on the bench and sets the shoes down. Her long tail wraps around the bench's legs, and then she lies down on it so that she can work on the encoded message without having a long snake-tail being on the way of whoever needs to walk past.

Looking at the message...well, there's an X. The mystery of the X is clearly the key to solving it. The problem is, she keeps on getting distracted by words that look like 'meow' in it. Maybe the Xes represent spaces or punctuation? But, no, then that part wouldn't make sense. It could just as well be replacing random letters.

Her next thought is that the letters and words are jumbled up. It is a little strange how some letters are capitalized and some aren't. There's no lowercase X, but there's a capital F, Y, H, A, and M. . .but, no, that's not helping. But maybe it builds off of the previous two, and the X signals which one it's using? She tries that, but....it doesn't work, obviously.

No, she's thinking about this backwards, she realizes.
    If she can figure out where this ends, then she can save time from solving this. The last clue was in her closet, which means it got placed here between this morning and now, otherwise she would have noticed it. If she goes back there, she could track down...wait, that wouldn't work. In the first place, he could have asked someone else to place it there for him. In the second place, clones. The existence of clones would seriously mess up her ability to track down a path. Going into the security room and looking at HALO's camera systems wouldn't work for the same reason.

Maybe she can narrow down where it would lead next? The Simulation Room would be a logical place, but, first of all, she doesn't really know if it's been fixed up yet, and second, the previous clue could have arguably led there and so it would be a pretty poor place to go next.
    Harley glances at the ferry-pods.
    If it wanted her to take a train somewhere, it would have told her to bring her purse, too. And somewhere in town would take far too much time, especially if she doesn't have a particular address or anything. Could be at the station, though. Or maybe just up on the beach. But with these shoes and this dress, being on the beach would feel a little out-of-place.

So unless it's just up on the shore, it has to be somewhere around here.
    Well, there's the teleporter too, she just realized. So maybe not.
    If she were hiding messages around the base, which rooms would she put it?
    Office? If she goes there, she might run into someone, though. And there's probably private information stored there, too.
    Pool? No, not with these shoes.
    Cinema...? Maybe? It would be possible to clearly state where something's hiding there on a message this short.
    The hospital area? NO, that would be getting in the way if there's an emergency.

The movie theater it is, then. Easiest place to check without wasting too much time.
    After untangling her snek-tail from the bench, she takes the new message and the shoes over to there.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #140

[Hallway]

If Harley had a Japanese comic collection, her entire collection would be josei, romance slice-of-life, and magical girl comics.

"Yeah, those sound like pretty great plans," Harley says. "I've been to the Simulation Room a couple of times recently. Fastest way there, this way." She takes the most direct route there, going a bit faster than just walking pace, since this is really important and she has way too much adrenaline pumping through her. "I've never used the controls outside of the room, though, so I don't know how they work or if there's some master controls somewhere. Only used the inside-room controls."

They'll quickly arrive outside the [Simulation Room], where Dorota and Mr. C are looking at the control panel trying to solve it.
    "Hey gang, Real Magtok and Harley here. What's the situation?"

Magtok waves to Dorotha and Mr. C, and points towards the yellow sticky note on his forehead that has 'The Real Magtok' written on it, so they know he's not the duplicitous schemer currently working to tear apart the compound. A sticky note would never lie, obviously. He also takes care not to do his usual thing of trying to make the situation all about himself, because this emergency very clearly isn't about him, and his presence here is dangerously close to being unwelcome and unwanted as is. Until he knows what's going on or has some particularly clever idea to share, it's probably best to just hang back and be moral support, I think.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Simulation Room - Labs]

Reinholdt eyes the firearm with a little bit of envy, biting his lower lip. "Yeah, I remember it. Fair warning, these Creations are well shielded against electrical attacks. Not immune perhaps, but it won't be as effective. Doctor Affidavit predicted that kind of counter." If your robots aren't protected from electricity, you're just asking for cliche levels of defeat!

Turning back to Manja, Rein attempts to reassure her. "It'll be ok. You're fine. Here." Her dad pulls out his special ushanka and puts it on her head. It's a magical hat that resizes to fit the head that wears it, even when they shapeshift. It also neutralizes poison and magically keeps the wearer warm. Not a stifling sort of warmth that would leave a person feeling hot and sweaty if it was worn inside. More like the sort of warmth one experiences from a nice cup of coco while sitting in front of a crackling Thanksmas fire. It might not be as nice as being held, but it's still very nice. Hopefully nice enough to keep Manja calm as he places her down in the corner. "I'll be right back," He says, closing the door.

Reinholdt steps back towards the middle of the room, flips a lab table without hesitation, sending glass shards flying towards the entrance. As he crouches down and pulls out a shotgun, his ears perk up overhearing Fel talking to someone else. "Dorota? Fel let me see that-" There's a louder crash than the table made when the door is finally wrenched from its frame. With no barricades in place to hinder their movement, they begin to rush inside, slowed only by the temporary choke point. Rather interested in not being killed, Rein pumps the shotgun once, pops up from the cover and fires, the deafening noise less of a concern to him than keeping the enemies from successfully surrounding Fel and himself.
    While Rein places Manja into safety, she decides to holster the gun and switch to her trusty wand of Magic Missiles.

She takes her place next to Rein behind the flipped table and will begin to fire missiles once the door is breached.

Get outta our facility, you dumb butts.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Dorota turns to... the real Magtok? As opposed to a fake one? The one in the simulation, presumably. But her way of dealing with a confusing situation is the same as always, which is to focus single-mindedly on what she does know. Her hand is still holding a laser pistol and she at least knows enough to keep her finger off the trigger.

"The simulation room malfunctioned and Felandria is stuck inside. Alongside someone else, I'm not sure who. The simulation involves... well, you betraying HALO and letting attackers in. We haven't found anything we can do from here except introduce an apex predator. Which we decided not to do."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #143

Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post

"We migth add, that the controll panel doesn't leave us any other options. There was no option to end the simulation and it appears to draw power by itself. I'm not firm with this thing, but I assume we shut the thing down in any way it might have a negativ effect on all inside the simulation." Thats kinda what they found out. right?
    "Hey gang, Real Magtok and Harley here. What's the situation?"

Magtok waves to Dorotha and Mr. C, and points towards the yellow sticky note on his forehead that has 'The Real Magtok' written on it, so they know he's not the duplicitous schemer currently working to tear apart the compound. A sticky note would never lie, obviously. He also takes care not to do his usual thing of trying to make the situation all about himself, because this emergency very clearly isn't about him, and his presence here is dangerously close to being unwelcome and unwanted as is. Until he knows what's going on or has some particularly clever idea to share, it's probably best to just hang back and be moral support, I think.

Dorota turns to... the real Magtok? As opposed to a fake one? The one in the simulation, presumably. But her way of dealing with a confusing situation is the same as always, which is to focus single-mindedly on what she does know. Her hand is still holding a laser pistol and she at least knows enough to keep her finger off the trigger.

"The simulation room malfunctioned and Felandria is stuck inside. Alongside someone else, I'm not sure who. The simulation involves... well, you betraying HALO and letting attackers in. We haven't found anything we can do from here except introduce an apex predator. Which we decided not to do."

Harley is pretty relieved that other people are on this. Looks like they started doing what Magtok said would be the right thing to do, but then they got stuck. She's really glad that Magtok's here, then, since he'll be able to take care of it.

Upon hearing confirmation that Felandria and 'someone else' are in there, Harley runs up to the door. "It's my daughter that's in there," she says.

Unless she's physically stopped (or the door is unable to open), she heads into the simulation room.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-02-07 at 04:40 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

[Simulation Room - Labs]

Magic Missile on the other hand is actually pretty decent against these Creations. They don't have any inherent magic resistance. Honestly Felandria likely has enough raw physical strength to tear these robots apart with her own hands. But Felandria and Reinholdt peppering them with fire does a better job of keeping them from getting surrounded as they end up bottlenecked. The Creations pull back for a moment and while Felandria is blasting another one too close with Magic Missile, Rein very rudely goes to snatch her communicator.

How uncouth!

He even shouts through it. "DOROTA! GO TO THE SERVER ROOM AND PULL THE EMERGENCY RESET LEVER! THE BIG RED ON-GAH!" All caps too. That's how you know he's being loud. Rein gets cut off largely because the Creations decide that instead of getting murdered by all the magic missiles and lead, they're going to toss in a organic lifeform stun grenade! Rein's ducked behind the table the moment it goes off, but it's still quite disorienting and caused him to drop the communications device. Hopefully Felandria ducked too or she might feel herself freeze up.

Magtok can see the nearby control panel to the Simulation Room. It currently displays a big red [color=red]Error - Simulation in Progress.[/red] And it's also a fairly glitchy display seeing as how the words are spread and repeated across the screen in what can only be described as the screen you tend to see before a blue screen 404 message. Definitely not a good sign. Still, something must be working because a window is open asking a fairly straightforward question which he can use the touchpad to answer if he so chooses.
    Introduce Apex Predator?
    Y/N
    The communicator roars to life in Dorota's hand and shouts pretty loudly, likely into Mr. C's ear if he's hanging around too close. "DOROTA! GO TO THE SERVER ROOM AND PULL THE EMERGENCY RESET LEVER! THE BIG RED ON-GAH!"

Meanwhile, Harley tries the door again! It was locked earlier, but Mr C pressed a lot of random buttons and actually disengaged the door safeties! At least according to the random number generator. It'd have been nice for the computer to tell him that. Still, she has to at least push a little to get the door to slide open, though it starts on its own once she tries.

Behind the door is a curious sight. Water. A wall of it. It must open to the simulation's start point, which should have theoretically started in the dorms. The now-flooded dorms. If Harley doesn't snap shut the door things get substantially worse as there are sparks along the edges of the doorframe and the water will start rushing out quite suddenly into the hallway the four of them are in. It may be simulated water, but it possesses all the properties of the real thing! For a time. There are probably limits to how far this water can get from the room that spawned it, so it's not going to flood the base.

[Another Point in Time]

While Snake Harley may find people watching a movie or even some leftover popcorn that was missed in the last cleaning, there isn't any indication of something out of the normal. Nothing hiding in the movie selection area and no clue under any of the ten seats. Either it's in a pretty obscure location, or she's just in the wrong spot.

If she's still holding onto the second clue and looks at it, she may note the addition of some writing that has only just now faded in underneath the writing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Say Martinez for Hint
    Say Zorzo for Solution

So it's a magical clue of some kind, complete with disappearing and reappearing ink.

However, this is for the previous clue! These must be the fail-safes put into place to make sure Harley wasn't left incapable of solving them for extended periods of time. All well and good, but it doesn't help her solve the riddle she's on. Unless she's comforted by knowing that she can wait and get help.

If she set aside the second clue or doesn't notice, then she receives no such comfort!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #145

Fortunately, Harley has the presence of mind to shut the door when faced with a large wall of water. (All thanks to running into Magtok earlier. If she hadn't done that, she probably would have just dove in and tried to shut it from the other side.) Sure, she'd be fine sitting in a flooded hallway, but she kind-of needs the others to be okay, too. After all, they're the ones who are going to shut down the power and the simulation. So they're the ones who need to stay safe and not get flooded while there's malfunctioning electronics around.

"If you all seal off this area, I can go in," she says, hinting the expanse of water there doesn't deter her.

Because if they need to go to the server room, they don't need to be here anymore, right? They can seal it off fine and let this area get flooded without it spreading to the rest of the base.

[Another Point in Time]

Unfortunately, the second clue was left in the library with the book. So Harley doesn't get to look at it to decide whether to request a hint or a solution.

After looking in the obvious places around the room, Harley decides she needs to focus more and see if there's any weird heat-spots around that would suggest someone was in here earlier. She really doubts it: if someone else came in here to watch a movie, or if the room is sufficiently cooled and has good enough circulation (it probably does, being a movie room), or if it was long enough ago then there's absolutely nothing she'd get out of it.

She looks at her phone.
    Time's getting away too quickly. The hint/solve for the first one came after such-and-such amount of time, and the second one hasn't come yet, so from that she can estimate how long it was supposed to take her to solve this third one. And, well...regardless, she's taking too long. Maybe if she does find a clone, she can trick him into revealing some stuff?

After spreading out on all the couches, she decides maybe to look at the message again. Probably after some time doing something else, she'll be looking at it with fresh eyes and see something else.

Maybe it's supposed to be a geometric code? And the X and the XX are about the orientation. And her arm's cylindrical, so maybe that might help, too.
    Holding her right arm up, and having forgotten how to make squid ink, she decides to use blood instead as she rewrites the message onto her arm, using the 'X's to frame the geometry.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

There's absolutely nothing helpful in the cinema room. And unfortunately for her geometrics don't seem to be the answer either, not making much, if any sense. She was actually much closer than she realizes with her original thoughts.

If the idea still eludes her for another fifteen minutes, Hint and Solve options become available.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-02-08 at 10:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

27. - Top - End - #147

[Another Point in Time]

Since none of her ideas have worked so far, Harley decides to get back to what she was doing, by searching places. Where would be the next best place to look? Office is definitely a 'no'. Too much private info there. She had already crossed off a handful of other rooms earlier, too.

The simulation room? She crossed it off mostly because she thought it would be too obvious and because she thought it would still be in repairs.
    Harley goes to that room, to check it out.

It's only after she gets there - if there's nothing there - that she looks at the clue again and notices the hint option, which she'll use.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

[Another Point in Time]

The Simulation Room would be a natural progression point, but it has been overused and Reinholdt hates being predictable. It is unused in this instance and has no clues to offer Harley! Unfortunate.

The Hint comes in the form a number.

Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #149

[Another Point in Time]

Three?
    Really? Three?

Snake-Harley leans against the wall and looks at the writing on her forearm. She had already looked at it with the number three in mind, because going diagonally up and down the cylinder in sets of three would have made sense with the 'X's. But that obviously led to nothing...what else could she do with a three? Going around her arm? Every third column? No, that still doesn't make anything.

She stares at it, thinking what other things she could do with a three. A letter, three spaces, then the next letter? But...Oh! She needs to put the double-x in line with the others. And...still nothing. Maybe, instead, every third one? Yeah, that makes...two words so far.

Harley suddenly has an idea.
    She starts growing little muscle patches all around her right arm, one under each letter. Goes here, attaches here...every third one slightly shorter or slightly longer...another layer to shift the whole thing...now, this is going to hurt.
    She bites her lips (actually welcoming the pain of piercing them with her teeth this time, because it distracts her from the pain of intentionally tearing the skin as the newly-created muscles twist her skin and moves the letters around, to form a spiral pattern all across her arm).

Once that's done, she looks at the spiraling letters, to see if that actually helped or if it was a huge waste.
    And!
    Look there! At the very end of the message, right next to her elbow she can see 'Manja'. Third-to-last word! And there's more words, if she reads it in rows.
    Okay. Next clue, a help desk...but what the heck's a malof supposed to be? Malof...malof...molotov? Why would she need one of those? And why would it have a help desk?

Harley re-reads the whole message, twisting her arm back and forth to do it. She should probably get rid of those extra muscles and heal back up the torn skin before she drips blood. She does that while reading and re-reading...and notices a couple more weird words and weird grammar and weird word order. She realizes she must've messed up the twisting.

Harley places her head in her palms.
    Every fifth word jumps around to another part of the message. Every fifth word consistently gets abruptly cut off and ends with another word. A pattern this consistent just means it was her own fault. She doesn't want to rearrange it again, so she just rereads it and finds out where it goes next.

She sighs.
    That took her way too long.
    Harley goes over to the teleporter - and, after making sure her entire tail is coiled into it - she uses it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #150

I should mention that Mr. C is not pushing buttons at random. Rather he tried to insers several different commands. He's no hacker, but he knows the typical compinations you pres like Alt+ F4 or if there is a command line he inserted commaneds like status, shutdown etc. Simple things , but he won't rolle on the keybord. Not yet.
    When Harley suggests her plan Mr. C will speak up to her.
    "That won't work." he says. "Sure you might enter, but what i know of the HALo security protocoll, you won't be able to get futher. The room you just saw through the entrance appears to be flooded which means it will be sealed to prevent other rooms from this fate. That would mean your just stuck in this room and we got another person to rescue. Better go with Dorota to the Server Room."
    The little green plush animal looks at Magtok, obviously not sure what to make of it. Right at that moment a stick note pops up on Mr C telling everyone 'This is the real Mr.C'. Not sure were that came from but it is therre now.
    "We, team sticky notes, will stay here, unless there are any objections."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK