New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Thank for the review nickl_2000.

Wild Growth: I thought that the fire vulnerability would offset the power increase from the extra stat points but you're right. Having stats that high at level 8 from a standard point array is a bit too much. Maybe if it was toned down to 1 extra point of increase and no breaking the 20 point limit from ASIs?

Feral Growth: You read that right, sorta. If a level 6 ToL sorcerer with no other class levels spends 3 SP(proficiency bonus 3) they can get +3 Str, Dex, and Con that can make their stats exceed 20 for 1 minute along with extra attack. A level 6 sorcerer can do this 2 times before he has to burn spells for sorcery points to keep it going. Not to mention all of the other things he has to spend sorcery points on including the resistance power from level 1. Two fights worth of supernatural, sorcerous physical prowess before they need to burn spells or take a long rest doesnt seem game breaking to me. If the players is doing a sorcadin they are going to want to save those spells for smites. They are left with a choice. More physical prowess or more smites. The choice gets easier as they gain levels and yes a sorcadin that goes with this subclass can save on a warlock dip but even then a sorcadin that goes nova with this is going to burn through resources fast.

At character level 17 they could dump 6 SP into this for +6, a total of a +3 modifier which can be gained from a magic weapon. Maybe a hard limit on the number of times per day would be a good idea or have the feature make weapons held in your hands magical for overcoming resistance and immunities to non-magical damage but override their current magical effect if it has one preventing the stacking of this feature and +X magical weapons. As it is the feature is already fairly self limiting. For non-multiclass sorcerers there may be times when casting spells would be a better hammer for their current set of nails.

Titanic Growth: Maybe instead of a straight point increase doubling it on the death avoidance ability? That way you can power through dying at most 5 times before the cost is too high to be paid considering the upper limit on sorcery points. For maxing out the physical boost I figured exhaustion plus the fact that at most you can burn 76 SP worth of spells at 18 or 89 SP worth at 20 would be a good enough limiting factor.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Alright, it's review time!

Spoiler: Bardic College: College of the Celebrity
    Show

You forgot to mention the levels in the subclass features.

I’m Sure That You’ve Heard of Me - I like this, I never really liked the friends cantrip because it makes people hate you. This is a good ability since it is limited but still makes it more useful.

Travelling Incognito - This probably should be regained with a long rest. Since, you get it for an hour and can use it prof mod times per short rest, I'm pretty sure you can always be under it.

Larger than Life - So, charms cause damage. But a lot of charm spells end when they are harmed by you. You just need to define how that works with this.
    ...I will add the levels. Huh, I'm kinda in shock that I missed that. Makes sense, given how fast I tossed it together. I'll toss that in immediately.

I remember waffling between LR/SR for Travelling Incognito until I eventually just flipped a coin. I've got zero issues pulling it back to LR.

Larger Than Life specifies that the creature only takes damage if it succeeds on the saving throw. So they either end up charmed OR they take damage. There shouldn't be any overlap.

Thanks for the feedback on my silly little (sub)class.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Crim the Cold View Post
    Troll-Kin Growth: Barbarians already have an advantage on strength checks while raging so the size increase just lets them grapple bigger things.
    It also increases the amount of space they occupy on the battlefield. Your threatened area goes from 9sq feet to 16sq feet (or from 25sq feet to to 36 sq feet if using a reach weapon. And your increased size means huge creatures can't simply step over you like they can for medium creatures (though small creatures can pass through your space, I think that tradeoff favors the troll.)

Barbarian subclasses gain a level at 10 not 11.
    Oops! Change made, thanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of unarmed strike available. Either a Smash attack if you want to lean into Hulk or a claw attack.
    I went back and forth on this. Mostly I decided against it so as to not step on the beast's toes too much, but I suppose a simple 1d8 fist weapon with none of the bells and whistles they get with their special toys shouldn't create too much envy. Considering this change.

Fleshmending - This one seems a little powerful. Basically unless you take fire/acid damage or someone hits you extremely hard you cannot die and you wake back up after one round. I would prefer to see auto-stabilization only and not regenerate to 1 HP when stabilized.
    I changed this to advantage on death saves and the ability to keep trying for a nat 20 (with advantage) even while stable. That should mean they will self-stabilize much faster and more reliably than others and will self-awaken well before the 1d4 hours it takes other stable creatures, but won't automatically just stand up just 12 seconds after they had a sword run through them.

Troll-Blood Draught - I have the same problem here as with Fleshmending, and it's the auto regenerate to 1 HP when stable.
    Should be fixed now via the fleshmending change.

Overgrowth - This one the other hand, seems a little week. The extra HP to temp HP is good, but it still requires a bonus action to get that and uses up a HD. The bonus in damage to use them up is nice, but by level 14 an extra 14 damage on one hit isn't all that much. I might look at temp hp x 2. However, you should also look at only being allowed to do this with temp HP gained through this feature. A Troll-kin barbarian and a Twilight Cleric would be a killer, killer combination.
    I'm considering these issues as well.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Underfoot Combat - Wow, there is a lot going on here. You get an effective +2 AC nearly all time time since a +2 AC is amazing. A reaction that has no cost to make an attack target someone else if they miss you (when you already have +2 to your AC). The reaction needs to have a Ki cost to it or a limiter to it to balance out appropriately. Also, the half-cover seems like it might break things.
    Ki cost to this reaction is an excellent idea!
    What things half-cover may break (besides built-in +2 AC being powerful)?
    The thing is, one isn't going to be in underfoot combat mode all the time: if this monk is sharing the space with their ally, they're going to pass on the opportunity to use this reaction, and enemies are prone to getting killed by your allies (or by yourself).
    Blur of Motion - Okay, so now at level 5 you can attack 3 times, get a dodge bonus action so that off turn you can get +2 AC and disadvantage on anyone attacking you (effectively +7 AC). This is going to make you near unhittable. At level 5 with point buy that makes your effective AC 24 with spending 1 Ki per round. Then you use your reaction when they miss you to hit someone else instead.
    This is a choice between "spend 1 ki, attack 4 times", "spend 1 ki, attack 3 times and get +5 AC", "attack 2 times". The second option is going to be better than the first almost all the time, but ki is still a limited resource, so might be better to go with option 3 and spend ki on something else?
    The Harder They Fall - I assume this is a normal shove so that it replaces 1 attack?
    Yes. It would've been clarified explicitly otherwise.
    Heightened Awareness - So basically you see everything, all the time. The cost is to low or the duration is to high for all that you are giving. Make it one minute and then it will be an in combat choice to decide if it's better to do damage or do this. That reduces the effectiveness significantly.
    Actually, it was 1 minute in the original draft, and then I thought it might be worth it to make it more exploration-friendly feature.
    Underfoot Combat Mastery - This capstone is to much as well. You are making a very high AC even higher and adding onto the reaction ability that still needs a Ki amount to limit it. As for the Crit range, this doesn't bother me all that much.
    Crit range is added here to boost damage output a little which isn't going to be much better than baseline monk can dish out. Again, ki cost to this reaction is something I'll implement right away.
    Not sure what I'm going to do with cover: move half-cover to level 6 and get rid of 3/4 cover? Leave half-cover at level 3 and get rid of 3/4 cover? The capstone feels weak without that cover improvement.
    You have a large amount of amazing flavor here and some really cool and fun things going on. However, the power is just to high and needs to be toned down throughout this subclass.
    Thank you for the review! You outlined several significant design flaws.
    I've made some adjustments and juggled features around: moved The Harder They Fall to 3rd level, Heightened Awareness to 6th level and Blur of Motion to 11th level. :) 3/4 cover is in place for now, I'll think more thoroughly what to do with it.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2021-07-09 at 05:30 AM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I decided to enter the contest with the Artificer subclass which specializes in firearms: Gunman. That's not a Strength domain of yore, but I did use some old materials for a canvas.

6. - Top - End - #336

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ilerien View Post
    Crit range is added here to boost damage output a little which isn't going to be much better than baseline monk can dish out. Again, ki cost to this reaction is something I'll implement right away.
    Not a full review, but I wanted to reply to this specifically. If you wanted some old school flavor back in 3.0 and 3.5's heyday the Hin Fist order crafted Gloves of the Hin Fist which did sonic damage. Sonic was changed to thunder in 5e(for reasons I will never understand but for some reason people will zealously defend the choice). Instead of an expanded crit range, maybe have Hin Fist monks be able to spend a ki point to be able to add 1 martial arts die of thunder damage to their first successful attack of each round as well as adding 1 martial arts die of thunder damage on a crit for 1 minute. Expand the ability at 17 to 2 martial arts dice each.

Edit: Updated Tree of Life with a power reduction, extra ASI has been reduced to 1 point, the Feral Growth sorcery point feature is no longer stackable with magic weapons so as to keep bounded accuracy from being broken, and the late game stave off death feature has had its cost changed so that it has a limit of 5 uses before it is impossible to have enough sorcery points to use it. The uncapped version of Feral Growth at level 18 remains unchanged largely because there are so many other ways to break the game at that stage that ability score shenanigans seem rather mundane. Also added some more flavor.
    Last edited by Crim the Cold; 2021-07-09 at 09:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Not a full review, but I wanted to reply to this specifically. If you wanted some old school flavor back in 3.0 and 3.5's heyday the Hin Fist order crafted Gloves of the Hin Fist which did sonic damage. Sonic was changed to thunder in 5e(for reasons I will never understand but for some reason people will zealously defend the choice). Instead of an expanded crit range, maybe have Hin Fist monks be able to spend a ki point to be able to add 1 martial arts die of thunder damage to their first successful attack of each round as well as adding 1 martial arts die of thunder damage on a crit for 1 minute. Expand the ability at 17 to 2 martial arts dice each.
    This is a viable alternative, but, flavor-wise, I have a feeling special monk gloves that enhance their wearer unarmed strikes with bonus damage were created by Bioware in Neverwinter Nights (the first game was and somehow is still great, will all the tools to create one's own modules), so poor 3e-based monks could have weapon special abilities on their unarmed strikes. I was unable find any references to Gloves of the Hin Fist in tabletop content (my collection of PDFs has nothing about them), so either there is indeed none or I'm bad at googling.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2021-07-09 at 10:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338

PirateCaptain

You're right. I checked some references and it is a Bioware addition to the lore. One that seems to have been adopted by the forgotten realms fandom at large if it is being referenced on wiki sites. Link here.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

You're right. I checked some references and it is a Bioware addition to the lore. One that seems to have been adopted by the forgotten realms fandom at large if it is being referenced on wiki sites. Link here.
    FR wiki was indeed the first online resource I checked. As a lore purist, I generally don't take any info presented there at face value and mostly use it to find out what source material contains original lore. The only source for this particular piece of lore was NWN, and I'm reluctant to introduce a flavor element based solely on Greg Zeschuk's view on how to give a 3e monk a bit more damage.
    Thanks for the idea! I'll certainly put it into "to consider for the next draft" folder.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2021-07-09 at 11:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340

SamuraiGuy

Alright, the College of Reputation is finished.

I'll get started on some reviews now although they might take a while as I need to get started on my entry for the base class contest, but I'll get them done ASAP.
    Temporarily back from the void between realities.
    Don't ask how long I'll be here for, I have no idea.

11. - Top - End - #341

PirateCaptain

Updated Tree of Life sorcerous origin to version 3 and added a changelog. I felt on review that the level 6 feature was still too powerful even with the previous changes and so made it mutually exclusive with concentration spells. Like I said in the changelog my only regret is not being to use fly with it, but it makes sense that a Tree of Life subclass would be rooted to the ground.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Bugbear in the Playground

...oof, this theme's got me stumped. I'm not even sure where to start.

My initial idea was a wizard school that specialized in expanding spell areas, but I immediately discarded it since that'd be...very difficult to balance.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    ...oof, this theme's got me stumped. I'm not even sure where to start.

My initial idea was a wizard school that specialized in expanding spell areas, but I immediately discarded it since that'd be...very difficult to balance.
    I actually had the same thought as a sorcerer and trashed it for the exact same reason.

How about an Artificer who uses mutagens to enhance themselves temporarily?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

14. - Top - End - #344

PirateCaptain

I actually had the same thought as a sorcerer and trashed it for the exact same reason.

How about an Artificer who uses mutagens to enhance themselves temporarily?
    I was thinking of a golem crafter who backpack rides them like MasterBlaster. "Who run Barter Town?"
    Last edited by Crim the Cold; 2021-07-09 at 03:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345

Well, I made my first submission to this contest: the martial archetype of the Hildolfr, focused on wielding oversized weapons!

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Fool! What torments have you unleashed upon the playground! The black gates of the abyss have been thrown asunder and soon all forms of monstroties shall rush forth! Repent! Repent I say! Before the end times! Before it is too late! I can feel the evil in my teeth!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As discussed with some others, I've gone ahead and given the troll-kin a 1d8 unarmed strike while hulked out (with none of the added frills, this shouldn't upset beast-barbarians too much), and I've restricted his Overgrowth bonus damage to tHP gained from the ability itself (though he can still gain these tHP from outside sources of excess healing, so he still combos nicely with healers as intended). I didn't improve the efficiency of the excess HP -> tHP ratio, mostly because the synergy between healing spells still exists and is potentially phenomenal, and because there are published ways to increase the efficacy of your hit dice (a periapt of wound closure is probably the most obvious item on a troll-kin's wish list, but there are a few other game elements which interact with hit dice in fun ways).

17. - Top - End - #347

It's not a good fit, but I finally had an idea I wanted to do for this contest: The Way of the MAN monastic tradition. Bigger is Better is a pretty MANly ideal, right? Anyway, it's based off of Mulan. PEACHes welcome.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

What happens if they wear +1 leather armor?

I'm aware of the Meme Power of this entry, but giving male monks Intimidation proficiency and female monks disguise kit proficiency doesn't sit well with me.

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    What happens if they wear +1 leather armor?

I'm aware of the Meme Power of this entry, but giving male monks Intimidation proficiency and female monks disguise kit proficiency doesn't sit well with me.
    It's ambiguous whether magic armor bonuses would apply, and I think I'll actually keep it that way; DM's call.

Would it be better if there was no reference to gender and a choice of Intimidation or disguise kit?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Would it be better if there was no reference to gender and a choice of Intimidation or disguise kit?
    Oh noes, you opened a portal to the native plane of SJWs. Gods have mercy on us all.
    Probably would be better to offer a choice indeed.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ilerien View Post
    Oh noes, you opened a portal to the native plane of SJWs. Gods have mercy on us all.
    Probably would be better to offer a choice indeed.
    Why not both? Honestly, Strength and Discipline isn't so powerful that giving you access to both Intimidation and disguise kit would be OP. The disguise kit in particular is basically a ribbon, and you're not going to have a very good Intimidation score regardless (as monks tend to dump Charisma with all of their other stat demands).

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

More reviews!

Spoiler: Bardic College: College of Reputation
    Show

Hear my name and despair! - I like this use of inspiration, it's something a little more unique and different. The only thing I would consider is to have the ability to re-make the save at a certain point. You could potentially use 1 bonus action and take someone completely out of a fight.

Preceding reputation - Good, very good. However, I don't think it is overpowered. I'm comfortable with having both of these at level 3.

Reputation Manifest - I believe the casting of it "at will" means that you can cast it without any action requirement? I think the language there needs to be cleaned up. When something is cast at will, I expect that you can cast it whenever you want as many times as you want. However, you limit the casting of this to Cha Mod/ Long Rest. For clarities sake, it should be Cha Mod times per long rest, not at will. Although, to be honest, this isn't all the great of an ability. I don't necessary think it is bad or wrong, but by level 14 an extra 1d4 damage per round isn't all that much. Even if you are using AoE spells. Also, I think it is a missed opportunity not calling this ability "larger than life."

I don't have a lot to say about changes needed with this subclass. The abilities are good and worth taking, it gives good flavor and fits into the bard standards. It's a solid subclass that I would enjoy playing and would allow at my table.

Spoiler: Circle of Iron’s Might
    Show

Circle Spells
    I don't like seeing shield here. It's one of the best spells in the game and I don't think it really has a place in a Druid subclass, especially one who doesn't care about metal armor (i.e. one that is very well armored). That being said, I don't know what you would replace it with really... So, I don't know...

Vast Lord - I see now, looks like you 100 feet of movement seems almost excessive, especially since it can be treated like a mount. That makes you more mobile than the monk. I may look into the monk movement and make it equal to that personally.

Riches Beyond Measure - This is weird as a capstone. Sure you get the small bonus to your animated armor, but the main ability you are giving is completely fluff. If a DM doesn't want to run an economy for selling the material, you completely lose out on this. I might do something that helps you scout instead that would help the character. Maybe you can identify all metal within a certain distance (i.e. you can figure out if there are swords in the next room, or if there is a metal bedpost in a secret room on the other side of this wall.

Spoiler: Artificer Specialist: Gunman
    Show

Hip Shooting - Small technicality here. You don't actually provoke an AoO when using a ranged weapon. So, it would be clearer and easier to say that "When you are holding a firearm, creatures provoke AoOs as if it were a melee weapon."

Double Blast - I am completely confused by this. Are you making two attacks or one? You have "as an action" listed twice. I assume the intent here is that you use your attack action and fire two 1-handed firearms. By doing that you are dealing extra damage.

Personally, I don't see the reasoning for requiring two weapons here. Just make it so that it uses a special bullet, or twice the powder or something like there where when it hits it does more damage. 5d6 damage per round isn't really all that much when you have Rogues doing 8d6 + dex + weapon damage or Fighters doing 3 weapon attacks adding in dex/str or Paladins attacking 2 times at weapon damage + str/dex + 1d8. If you are worried about it make it so that you can only do it X times per short rest.

Spoiler: THE HILDOLFR
    Show

Riesehander Style - This gives some interesting interactions.
    1) Dueling fighting style with a great axe.
    2) two weapon fighting with the Dual Wielder feat to dual wield mauls with GWM.
    3) Wield both a Great Weapon with GWM feat and have a shield.
    4) PAM and Reach with a shield (drools at the thought).

I'm not saying that this is necessarily bad, but it makes for an amazing 3 level dip for a lot of classes (barbarian and Paladin) and creates some interactions that the creators never intended. I would have to see how it would play to know for sure though.

Castle Crasher - This is a little boring, and not something that will come up excessively often. However, you are also getting another Kenning at this level, so it seems fine to me. Especially since Fighter level 7 tends to be a little more boring in general.

Gigantesque - And this just made my PAM combo even better. No one gets within 15 feet of me, ever!

Blood-Fueled Vigor - I really like this. A great way to get more uses out of the main subclass ability with a significant cost.

Titan's Strike - Powerful, fitting, and seems fine at level 18. You cast Earthquake and have to forgo 3 or 4 attacks to do so. I would mention that the center of the spell is where you hit the weapon into the ground (the earthquake spell has a 500 ft range to avoid being caught in it as the caster).

Kennings
    For pretty much all of these, I would look at reducing the damage. You are already a massive tank for damage and you have a great AC (1d12 damage + str and a shield). You don't need that much more

Oak-Uprooting Whirlwind - This can be made completely pointless with the dual wielder feat and the 2 weapon fighting style.

Steel-Serpent Hide - the 18th level ability is a little odd in my head canon. How does having a rapier stick out of my chest make it so others attack me with disadvantage?

Spoiler: Frog Sage
    Show

Why can't you do a tongue attack on someone you are biting? Seems like it would make as much sense as anything else. Also, if you are grappling someone with your tongue at a distance, you shouldn't be able to make a bite attack as you would bite your own tongue off :)

This subclass feel familiar, is it a modification of something you have previously written?

Spoiler: Way of the MAN
    Show

Cute references to Mulan.

+10 more speed on a monk is getting pretty crazy. I may reduce it to +5. That being said, for a monk it may not really matter in the end.

Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon - I would drop this completely though. If a monk is wearing armor they don't get martial arts at all and it would really hurt to take that away. Also, an armor wearing monk just doesn't seem right to me.

Strength and Discipline - In this you boost the monk damage further when you get to a high level. I don't think this really is necessary since you are giving another ability at level 6. I would drop the damage change completely. 1d12 for a monk is enough.

Did They Send me Daughters, When I Asked For Sons? - More at level 6? You are giving away a lot of abilities for a class that gives a lot in the base class. Also, the idea that you get a proficiency only if you are female is problematic. It's flavorful to Mulan, but If you are keeping this, just give it to everyone.

I'll Make a MAN Out of You - Where is the Ki cost of this?

So, overall here you are giving to much. You are giving lots and lots of abilities that are permanent and have no Ki cost. So, not only are you giving some powerful boons, but you also get to use your base class Ki abilities more often. Trim this down and give some things some cost to help it out.

Spoiler: The Thug-Rogue archetype
    Show

This is very fitting to the theme and simple with still giving more options while playing. This rogue is going to be a champion grappler, as you were going for. Honestly, I don't see any significant problems here or things that you need to fix. The level 17 ability gave me some pause in doing 3d6 more damage, but at level 17 doing and extra 10/11 more damage in a round really isn't all the great. It may be worth re-looking at the capstone to make it something more exciting or active than just doing more damage. However, that would take away some of the simplicity of the subclass.

Truth is I have no big complaints and wouldn't be upset seeing anyone playing this at a table I'm at.

Got through the rest of them. Sorry for the delay and sorry if I was more brief than usual. I wanted everyone to have a review and was running out of time this month.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #353

Daemon

More reviews!
    ]

Spoiler: Circle of Iron’s Might
    Show

Circle Spells
    I don't like seeing shield here. It's one of the best spells in the game and I don't think it really has a place in a Druid subclass, especially one who doesn't care about metal armor (i.e. one that is very well armored). That being said, I don't know what you would replace it with really... So, I don't know...

Vast Lord - I see now, looks like you 100 feet of movement seems almost excessive, especially since it can be treated like a mount. That makes you more mobile than the monk. I may look into the monk movement and make it equal to that personally.

Riches Beyond Measure - This is weird as a capstone. Sure you get the small bonus to your animated armor, but the main ability you are giving is completely fluff. If a DM doesn't want to run an economy for selling the material, you completely lose out on this. I might do something that helps you scout instead that would help the character. Maybe you can identify all metal within a certain distance (i.e. you can figure out if there are swords in the next room, or if there is a metal bedpost in a secret room on the other side of this wall.

[

Got through the rest of them. Sorry for the delay and sorry if I was more brief than usual. I wanted everyone to have a review and was running out of time this month.
    As always, thank you so much for your feedback!

I was considering Shield of Faith instead, but I feel 10rds of +2 AC is better than 1 of +5. Notably most of my group’s combats last longer than 5 rounds, so it might be perception.

I think the 100 feet number is only available at high tier play and requires a resource expenditure, but I honestly think it was a placeholder. The mount rules felt like the quickest way to say “you can have the armor walk for you.”

I’ll have another look at the capstone but I don’t think it distinguishes raw vs worked metals, so you should be able to tell if there are say, moving gold coins behind the door (ie guys with pocket change), etc.

Thanks again!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thank you for your feedback!

Hip Shooting - Small technicality here. You don't actually provoke an AoO when using a ranged weapon. So, it would be clearer and easier to say that "When you are holding a firearm, creatures provoke AoOs as if it were a melee weapon."
    I reworded this feature to sound it in a way the third bullet of the War Caster feat does.

Double Blast - I am completely confused by this. Are you making two attacks or one? You have "as an action" listed twice. I assume the intent here is that you use your attack action and fire two 1-handed firearms. By doing that you are dealing extra damage.

Personally, I don't see the reasoning for requiring two weapons here. Just make it so that it uses a special bullet, or twice the powder or something like there where when it hits it does more damage. 5d6 damage per round isn't really all that much when you have Rogues doing 8d6 + dex + weapon damage or Fighters doing 3 weapon attacks adding in dex/str or Paladins attacking 2 times at weapon damage + str/dex + 1d8. If you are worried about it make it so that you can only do it X times per short rest.
    Yes, the intent here is to use the attack action and fire two 1-handed firearms. The requirement of two weapons is there for the fluff and cinematic vision of firing from two hands. I changed the bonuses to the fixed 6d6 damage, but I'd rather leave the two-weapon fighting for fluff reasons.
    In addition, the firearms in the entry require an action to load, so there is no balance issue in this regard.
    Last edited by Oerlaf; 2021-07-30 at 12:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355

Spoiler: THE HILDOLFR
    Show

Riesehander Style - This gives some interesting interactions.
    1) Dueling fighting style with a great axe.
    2) two weapon fighting with the Dual Wielder feat to dual wield mauls with GWM.
    3) Wield both a Great Weapon with GWM feat and have a shield.
    4) PAM and Reach with a shield (drools at the thought).

I'm not saying that this is necessarily bad, but it makes for an amazing 3 level dip for a lot of classes (barbarian and Paladin) and creates some interactions that the creators never intended. I would have to see how it would play to know for sure though.

Castle Crasher - This is a little boring, and not something that will come up excessively often. However, you are also getting another Kenning at this level, so it seems fine to me. Especially since Fighter level 7 tends to be a little more boring in general.

Gigantesque - And this just made my PAM combo even better. No one gets within 15 feet of me, ever!

Blood-Fueled Vigor - I really like this. A great way to get more uses out of the main subclass ability with a significant cost.

Titan's Strike - Powerful, fitting, and seems fine at level 18. You cast Earthquake and have to forgo 3 or 4 attacks to do so. I would mention that the center of the spell is where you hit the weapon into the ground (the earthquake spell has a 500 ft range to avoid being caught in it as the caster).

Kennings
    For pretty much all of these, I would look at reducing the damage. You are already a massive tank for damage and you have a great AC (1d12 damage + str and a shield). You don't need that much more

Oak-Uprooting Whirlwind - This can be made completely pointless with the dual wielder feat and the 2 weapon fighting style.

Steel-Serpent Hide - the 18th level ability is a little odd in my head canon. How does having a rapier stick out of my chest make it so others attack me with disadvantage?
    I much appreciate the feedback. With some feedback from a friend who commented on my class, I'm going to be reducing the character's tankiness to a small degree (removing the inherent Toughness bonus from Gigantesque), and I'm clarifying the phrasing a bit on Titan's Strike to ensure that while it has drawbacks, you don't just open a trench underneath yourself like some sort of Looney Toons sketch.

Since feats are optional nowadays, I feel that there's less to worry about RE: a class feature being made redundant by a feat. It provides the option to be a good dual wielder without the feat; if you're using the feat then you should just not take both of the options because they do the same thing. I'll add a note clarifying things though.

RE: multiclassing, since that's an optional rule as well I feel that it's just up to the DM whether they want to open that higher level of power to the character or not.

RE: Steel-Serpent strike, I had a rationale for the disadvantage thing when I was writing it, but I've since forgotten it. I'll see if I can think of an alternative level 18 bonus.

RE: damage, I keyed the class' damage off the Arcane Archer subclass. While I'm open to reducing it, I feel bringing it down to the d4 level would be a mistake because the d4 feels small. And if there's one thing I don't want the class to feel, it's small. So I'll mull over if there's a good way to balance that slightly.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
    Last edited by Arkanist; 2021-07-30 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Fool! What torments have you unleashed upon the playground! The black gates of the abyss have been thrown asunder and soon all forms of monstroties shall rush forth! Repent! Repent I say! Before the end times! Before it is too late! I can feel the evil in my teeth!

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanist View Post

RE: damage, I keyed the class' damage off the Arcane Archer subclass. While I'm open to reducing it, I feel bringing it down to the d4 level would be a mistake because the d4 feels small. And if there's one thing I don't want the class to feel, it's small. So I'll mull over if there's a good way to balance that slightly.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
    I'm not against keying on the Arcane Archer damage. However, the Arcane Archer gets 2 shots per short rest. You get twice your proficiency bonus per short rest. So, at level 3 when you get the subclass you get twice as many uses compared to the Arcane Archer and it just grows from there. So, it's not quite an equal comparison. Now, if you want it to feel higher while still reducing the damage, make the bonus damage 1d8 and 2d8 instead of 2d6 and 4d6. 1d8 average is 4.5 and 2d8 average is 9. 2d6 average is 7 and 4d6 average is 14. This is a significant overall reduction in average damage, but doesn't have the wimpy feel of small dice. Even 1d10 and 2d10 is 5.5 and 11 average damage, still a reduction from the 2d6/4d6.

As for the feats/multiclassing. I will agree that they are optional rules, but if a DM is allowing homebrew they are probably also allowing Feats and Multiclassing. As I said in the review it wasn't something bad, just something to watch out for in playtesting to see if it becomes a problem.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

27. - Top - End - #357
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

More reviews!

Spoiler: The Thug-Rogue archetype
    Show

This is very fitting to the theme and simple with still giving more options while playing. This rogue is going to be a champion grappler, as you were going for. Honestly, I don't see any significant problems here or things that you need to fix. The level 17 ability gave me some pause in doing 3d6 more damage, but at level 17 doing and extra 10/11 more damage in a round really isn't all the great. It may be worth re-looking at the capstone to make it something more exciting or active than just doing more damage. However, that would take away some of the simplicity of the subclass.

Truth is I have no big complaints and wouldn't be upset seeing anyone playing this at a table I'm at.

Hey, thanks for the review. This is my first attempt at one of these contests, and I'm glad you mostly liked it. I cleaned up the formatting now that I have some free time, and replaced the capstone with one that's a bit more unique, and should make the class a bit less dependant on enlarge effects from the wizard or magic items by the later levels.

By the way, what does PEACH mean? Something like please review constructively?

28. - Top - End - #358

I made some changes to the MAN. Probably for the worse, but whatevs.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2021-07-30 at 07:36 PM.

Nod, get treat.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mr_stibbons View Post
    Hey, thanks for the review. This is my first attempt at one of these contests, and I'm glad you mostly liked it. I cleaned up the formatting now that I have some free time, and replaced the capstone with one that's a bit more unique, and should make the class a bit less dependant on enlarge effects from the wizard or magic items by the later levels.

By the way, what does PEACH mean? Something like please review constructively?
    IIRC, it's shorthand for Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    IIRC, it's shorthand for Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly.
    Yup, you got it. Basically, I want some to look at it and be nice but still tell me what's wrong with it
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer