New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Sorry I haven't been present for these last two contests! I know this one isn't over yet but when it is I am ready to host again if you want to take a break animorte.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I know there's only a few days left, but I wanted to get in some reading and provide my input on other entries. Enjoy!

Spoiler: The Deckbuilder Wizard
    Show

I have played... A lot of deck-building games so this was really cool to see. Right off the bat I'm concerned with how the spell deck will work if you draw a card that serves a wildly different purpose than what you need. Of course, Card up Your Sleeve somewhat addresses this as well as the capstone.

I appreciate how much work you put into clarifying various adjustments for increasing or decreasing the spell level as necessary.

Thanks for reading, friends! Let me know what you think and feel free to poke some holes in mine.
    Thank you so much for your feedback!

Target playstyle would be to keep a spelldeck and a spell book. Since you decide what's in the deck you can hard cheese by only downcasting, IE stack the deck with higher level spells and only use lower level slots, or keep the deck limited in purpose like all control or all direct damage or all summons.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

About 12 hours left until I close the submission thread. Get in all final edits!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

So You Don't Have To submission thread for the next contest!

Congratulations to our victor of Hold My Ale, BetweenComments presenting The Brewmaster!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you to everyone who voted for me! Hmmm... have others doing things for you... going to have to think on this for a bit.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Wow thank you so much for the votes. I went from none from my first entry to that. Both barbarians too. What can I say

7. - Top - End - #937
    Pixie in the Playground

I think I have created the most dastardly type of Warlock to possibly exist: Middle Managment. Mechanically it is subclass themed around turning the rest of your party into mini-warlocks, with you acting as the patron.

EDIT: Well, I was going to link to the entry on the contest thread, but apparently I need more posts for that.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BetweenComments View Post
    I think I have created the most dastardly type of Warlock to possibly exist: Middle Managment. Mechanically it is subclass themed around turning the rest of your party into mini-warlocks, with you acting as the patron.

EDIT: Well, I was going to link to the entry on the contest thread, but apparently I need more posts for that.
    Heh, check out my Eldritch Pyramid Schemer entry for contest 22. It'll be interesting to see how much overlap there is.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Heh, check out my Eldritch Pyramid Schemer entry for contest 22. It'll be interesting to see how much overlap there is.
    Definitely caught myself going back to other contests for inspiration, and trying to avoid accidentally copying the exact same thing.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Definitely caught myself going back to other contests for inspiration, and trying to avoid accidentally copying the exact same thing.
    Went back, double-checked and actually noticed a sorcerer able to apply metamagic to other spellcasters' spells. Still, I think my submission is different enough from that one.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

11. - Top - End - #941
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    goes to look at

Hu, yeah it seems we had a fairly similar idea. Though it appears that we had a fairly different execution of the concept where you seem to focus more on the Warlock granting spell casting while mine focuses more on the Warlock expressing their power using others.
    Last edited by BetweenComments; 2023-03-15 at 01:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

On this note of previous contests, during that period of transition when different people were filling in as host, the list was not maintained (as I have done in the base class) but I have been gathering that information.

It should be updated, nice, and pretty in the next few weeks.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

Ok guys, even if I started some time ago I've only now managed to give a semblance of completeness to The Inspiration. The reasons for this delay are as follows:

• The subclass is particularly weird, so it took me a while to figure out what I wanted it to do, and how.
    • I had very little time recently.
    • Since the theme of the contest is "So You Don't Have To", I wanted to experiment by delegating part of the work to ChatGPT (which, however, was of little help to me given the strangeness of the subclass, while on other ideas it turned out to be surprising brilliant, not to say terrifying...).

The result still needs several tweaks, and, more than anything else, there's a big elephant in the room: how fun is this idea actually?

As for the subclass itself, I had to group three features at the 3rd level, mainly to be able to make it playable, and I added a further feature at the 4th level which replaces the ASIs, since its ability scores become useless.

To conclude, I report the comment of ChatGPT itself when I submitted the last draft:

Overall, this subclass seems to have a unique and interesting concept of existing only as an inspiration in the minds of their followers. Here are my thoughts on each feature:

• Comforting Memory: This feature is quite innovative, but it may need some tweaking to balance it properly. The ability to assign Hit Dice to other creatures is a powerful way to increase their survivability, especially since the bard doesn't have to expend any resources other than their level-up progression to do so. I would suggest limiting the number of followers who can benefit from this feature, and perhaps making it a bit more challenging to assign the Hit Dice (such as requiring the bard to spend some time or effort doing so).
    • What would it do in my place?: This feature is interesting in that it allows the bard to delegate some of their abilities to their followers. However, I'm not sure how often it would come into play in a typical campaign, as it seems situational. The ability to regain uses of the feature with a short rest is a good balance, though.
    • Inspirational Presence: This feature is solid and fits the theme of the subclass well. It provides the bard with additional uses of their Bardic Inspiration feature, which is always useful in combat. The ability to let another creature take certain actions is also a nice touch.
    • Versatile Inspiration: This feature is quite powerful, as it allows the bard to gain features from other bard subclasses without having to multiclass or sacrifice any of their own class features. However, since it replaces Ability Score Improvements, it does limit the bard's overall power level somewhat. I would suggest adding some limitations to this feature (such as requiring the bard to have a certain level of experience before gaining access to it).
    • Role Model: This feature is interesting and provides some additional utility to the bard's allies. The ability to use Countercharm is useful, although it may not come into play frequently. The ability to let an ally cast a spell using the bard's spell knowledge is a powerful ability, but the DC seems low given how high-level this feature is.
    • Never Fade Away: This feature is straightforward and provides the bard with some additional flexibility in combat. Allowing an ally to cast a spell or make an attack action can be quite powerful, but it does require the bard to use their own action to do so.

Overall, I think this subclass has a lot of potential and provides some interesting mechanics that fit well thematically. However, it may need some balancing and tweaking to make sure it doesn't become too powerful or too situational in play.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2023-04-01 at 10:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm still working on mine, and regretting my big mouth. My initial idea of "druid with animal friends that isn't a PitA to run/DM and ALSO doesn't use boring generic statblocks" might be too tricky to fit in a subclass.

Being lazy is hard work.
    Last edited by Notafish; 2023-04-03 at 10:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Pixie in the Playground

Thought I'd give my thoughts on each submission as we have a week left.

Spoiler: The Inspiration
    Show

I have very mixed feelings on this subclass.

On one hand it is mechanically well executed and extremely unique. Like, how it completely changes how your character functions yet still thematically is so in line for a Bard is, well, inspiring.

On the other hand I'm really worry how fun this is to play. Like outside of other people pr'ing how they miss you, this subclass completely shuts you out of the Roleplaying part of a tabletop RPG. It's... I mean I get its core to the concept of being a martyr or muse, but the ability to not interact on the world outside of distributing buffs to others I feel could get quickly boring.

Maybe as a slight rework this could turn you into some type of familiar for the whole party? It would keep the mechanical effects but allow you to have agency of your own.

Spoiler: Sorcerous Origin: Incantatrix
    Show

So my disclaimer on this is I have only played one game of 3.5e, and it was corebook only so I'm not very familiar with the Incantatrix as an idea. I like the concept of a pure magic sorcerer however the level 6 version of this feels very heavy. Like you have the ability to: use metamagic on others, learn more metamagic, spend less on metamagic, and be better at anti magic. I think pairing this down to something like, use metamagic on others+one of the other two metamagic themed ones would tighten up the subclass and move its power to be consistent with other Post-Tasha Sorcerers.

• Improved Metamagic: Probably the biggest power boost of the three, but it also goes against the theme of cooprative metamagic.
    • Unwind Spell: This feels a bit over kill? Vatic gaze already makes you the best possible counter speller, so this is just extra.
    • Bonus Metamagic Option: I'd probably keep this one, flexibility is something sorcerer lacks and this both makes you much more flexible and makes Cooperative Meta Magic better.

Spoiler: Druidic Circle of Friendly Critters
    Show

Some ideas on how to avoid templates but keep this from being a pain in the neck to play/GM.
    [*][Easy as the Moon]: Have this class summon the creature that it would wildshape into, instead of actually wildshaping. Then have the creature be commanded as a (action or bonus action, would need to test the balancing). Subclass features would most likley give it magical attacks, increases its max CR/movments earlier, basically a less tanky Moon Druid that can cast spells more often.
    [*][Harder on GM]: Theme it around conjure animals, but add a slot system where the subclass can only have certin combinations of animals summoned and learns more over time. Have subclass features improve your summons.
    [*][Compromise] Use a template system with an invocation like system to grant things like flight or better grapples. [/LIST]

16. - Top - End - #946
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BetweenComments View Post
    Spoiler: The Inspiration
    Show

I have very mixed feelings on this subclass.

On one hand it is mechanically well executed and extremely unique. Like, how it completely changes how your character functions yet still thematically is so in line for a Bard is, well, inspiring.

On the other hand I'm really worry how fun this is to play. Like outside of other people pr'ing how they miss you, this subclass completely shuts you out of the Roleplaying part of a tabletop RPG. It's... I mean I get its core to the concept of being a martyr or muse, but the ability to not interact on the world outside of distributing buffs to others I feel could get quickly boring.

Maybe as a slight rework this could turn you into some type of familiar for the whole party? It would keep the mechanical effects but allow you to have agency of your own.
    Thankyou for your feedback! Yes, i have the same concerns, but i think I will try to push on the "What would it do in my place?" feature before reworking anything.

The idea is that the player can continue to take an active part in the investigative and deductive processes of the campaign, while also maintaining a minimum but acceptable level of interaction with the world through a sort of "temporary possession" on a willing creature.

I hope to find the time to make these fixes!

17. - Top - End - #947
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Well, I stuck with it, but I think i just updated the Shepard Druid for 1DD. https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...43&postcount=4

18. - Top - End - #948
    Orc in the Playground

Ok Guys, i think i have made the last fixes on The Inspiration. I haven't followed BetweenComments's suggestion to transform the player in a sort of familiar, but I have rewritten "What would it do in my place?" in a way that should give the player enough interactivity and at the same time place the right stakes to avoid shenanigans.

Hope to have time to make some quick reviews of the other entries in the remaining days!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2023-04-11 at 10:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies for my lacking presence during this run, we've been going through a moving process for a few weeks. What's everyone else's excuse!?

Anyway, let's get those entries dropped in and/or finished in the next ~12 hours.

Head on over to the voting thread and toss in your votes and opinions!
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-04-17 at 09:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    Guys, since this time we have very few entries I think I will drop only one preference instead of three, if you are ok.
    Based on this notion, I think it's fair that we each make a vote for first and second place for entries (especially in case of tie-breakers), unless anyone has objections?

21. - Top - End - #951
    Pixie in the Playground

Based on this notion, I think it's fair that we each make a vote for first and second place for entries (especially in case of tie-breakers), unless anyone has objections?
    I think I'd prefer if we still did the full 3 point ranking system. At least for me and my fellow subclass authors its the same amount of effort as ranking a 1st and a 2nd, plus it lets non-authors express their opinion on the ranking of all of the entries (effectively giving a 3, 2, 1, and 0 point option for each entry).

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

The voting process will stand as normal.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, edited my post to add my vote preferences!

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

For that last contest, So You Don't Have To, I had the idea for a towel-boy/water-boy/ball-boy type thing (probably as a Fighter) that would give away it's fighting style (and other class features), and doing its best to stand on the side-line/bench.

Went through a bit of moving and starting new job process so didn't really have the time, but I wanted to share the basic ideas of it with my fellow homebrewers.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Pixie in the Playground

For that last contest, So You Don't Have To, I had the idea for a towel-boy/water-boy/ball-boy type thing (probably as a Fighter) that would give away it's fighting style (and other class features), and doing its best to stand on the side-line/bench.

Went through a bit of moving and starting new job process so didn't really have the time, but I wanted to share the basic ideas of it with my fellow homebrewers.
    Ah, thats sad, a coach/cheerleader style fighter sounds really funny.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Pixie in the Playground

Finished my Elemental Warlock!

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll put in a vote for 2-week extension. Anybody else? I notice we have a few still incomplete.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'd like an extension, too. Even if I can't get a submission together, I'd still like to see some of the in-progress entries.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree, I’d highly prefer its more of a contest than 2 people.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

New deadline for submissions is midnight, June 27th!