New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Monk: Way of the Spider is posted and ready for you to PEACH/rip apart. With this subclass you can be a Spiderdragon, Spiderowl, Spiderbug(bear), SpiderHare or any other type of Spiderthing that strikes your fancy! Join the group of friendly neighborhood Spider friends. However, remember that with great power....
    I like the idea a lot, but I agree in toto with Damon_Tor.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

I did try and put webs used in combat into the spells. Catapult fits really well with the "grab a rock and throw it at someone style of fighting" and web was a no brainer.
    That's not really what I mean: Spider-Man fights quickly, very flowing and kinetic, and monks are the same way, but without the spells being integrated somehow into the attack/flurry cycle using them is going to feel both slow and weak. Yes, they they have the ki-empowered strikes ability which is functional in a pinch (though as written it wouldn't work with cantrips like vine whip), but one meh spell and one weapon attack as your whole turn does justice to neither Spider-Man nor the Monk class. And mechanically there's not much synergy even if you can get past the combat pacing issue: in how many circumstances would a monk want to use his action to cast Shocking Hands?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk: Way of the Spider is posted and ready for you to PEACH/rip apart. With this subclass you can be a Spiderdragon, Spiderowl, Spiderbug(bear), SpiderHare or any other type of Spiderthing that strikes your fancy! Join the group of friendly neighborhood Spider friends. However, remember that with great power....
    On top of everyone else's comments vis-a-vis combat flow, level 3 is kinda over-stuffed. Compared to the Shadow Monk, which gets 4 2nd level spells and a cantrip, you get proficiency+expertise in a skill, two cantrips, two 1st level spells, and three 2nd level spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    That's not really what I mean: Spider-Man fights quickly, very flowing and kinetic, and monks are the same way, but without the spells being integrated somehow into the attack/flurry cycle using them is going to feel both slow and weak. Yes, they they have the ki-empowered strikes ability which is functional in a pinch (though as written it wouldn't work with cantrips like vine whip), but one meh spell and one weapon attack as your whole turn does justice to neither Spider-Man nor the Monk class. And mechanically there's not much synergy even if you can get past the combat pacing issue: in how many circumstances would a monk want to use his action to cast Shocking Hands?
    There are very few uses for shocking hands, I mostly just threw it in there to replicate Miles Morales ability.

Based on all the feedback though it seems the mechanics would be better as abilities rather than spells, so sounds like it needs a significant re-write 🙂. I'll take a shot at it next week and will try and get reviews of other entries soon
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-05-28 at 08:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Orc in the Playground

Guys, I'm collecting some ideas on possible characters to transcribe into a subclass, but none of them convinces me enough. Maybe you can give me some advice.

I've written some ideas and outlined the possible PROS and CONS.

JoJo Stand Wielder/Shaman King/Pokemon Trainer

Undefined class, maybe a Monk
    • Absorbs the essence of the defeated enemies (not undead or construct, and maybe not even humanoids) with a CR not higher than the number shown in the XYZ table for your level.
    • Choose a number of Actions or Traits, up to proficiency bonus, or up to an increasing number shown in the class table (to avoid multiclass shenanigans), and make them yours.
    • All it’s accompanied by fantastic pyrotechnic effects, such as the appearance of a fleeting spirit version of the enemy from which the action was taken, the moment you use it.
    • At higher levels, the character learns the ability to recall the effect of these essences at a certain distance and not only on its position. The distance is proportional to the difference between the CR of the original creature and the CR shown in the XYZ table for your level.

PROS:
    • Seems cool.

CONS:
    • It's inspired from an archetypical figure more than a character itself, so it's a bit out of theme.
    • Could be very weak or very strong depending on the enemies defeated. Overall, it could be difficult to balance.

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde/Hulk

Artificer
    The character can transform into a brute, activating a kind of barbarian rage. This condition can also be triggered if it suffers a certain number of damage, or if it gets involved in dangerous/exciting situations, and may require some sort of saving throw to end.

When transformed, the character became a brawler as below:
    • Loses the ability to cast spells and any proficiency with weapons (except clubs maybe?).
    • Swaps its Intelligence and Strenght ability scores.
    • Gains unarmored defense.
    • Gains bonus to unarmed strikes.
    • (lvl 5th) Gains extra attacks when transformed.
    • (lvl 9th) Increases its size OR gains some sort of Goliath trait (I.E. being considered one size larger at will).

PROS:
    • Fits the theme.

CONS:
    • It's nothing more than an Artificer that became a punching Barbarian when entering a fight.

Solid Snake

Rogue
    The master of stealth play:
    • Can disguise itself with the environment.
    • Can stun unalerted enemies below a certain CR level.
    • Can place bombs and find traps.
    • Can use a sort of night vision.
    • Gains bonuses against Huge or larger enemies
    • It must fail a certain number of stealth checks, or fail to stun a certain number of enemies, before the enemies actually enter a state of alarm.

PROS:
    • You can call a feature "The best is yet to come" and another one "It's not over yet!".
    • You can hide in a box.

CONS:
    • Stealth play is complex, unbalanced and f*****g boring in a TTRPG!

Sekiro

Rogue
    A samurai with a prosthetic arm and a weird relationship with death.
    • Various gadgets that can be installed on the prosthetic arm.
    • Each attack parried or inflicted applies an Imbalance charge to the enemy. After a certain amount, you can spend them to produce various effects, like deal additional damage, automatically succeed the next attack roll, push the creature prone…
    • At higher levels, some sort of ability to resurrect once per several days, or with some kind of side effect.

PROS:
    • A lot of mechanics.

CONS:
    • Maybe, too much mechanic.
    • All the features are combat oriented

Spiderman

Monk
    Becomes the avatar of Anansi:
    • Gains a climb speed.
    • Creates strings of cobweb that can be used as a rope, or as a rope + grappling hook.
    • Proficiency to Initiative checks.
    • Can jump very high and very distant.
    • Can cast the find familiar spell as ritual (spiders only) and can use them as spider spies (I don't know how they are called in English, I am referring to those spider-shaped red trackers that spiderman threw to enemies to stalk them using his Spider Sense...)
    • (ki cost) Can swing by throwing cobwebs strings to move quickly, and perform swoop attacks if it's swinging.
    • (ki cost) Can throw itself like a slingshot and gain attack bonuses.
    • (ki cost) Can create nets (like the weapon) and throw them at an increasing-with-level distance.
    • (ki cost) At higher levels, gains advantage on Dexterity saving throws (maybe the first time per rest it is free).
    • (ki cost) At higher levels, can create bigger nets that can Restrain even huge creatures and give disadvantage on Large or smaller ones.
    • (ki cost) At higher levels, can create a parachute or a trampoline from cobwebs.
    • (ki cost) At higher levels, can produce the effects of the web spell.
    • Maybe, something related to the Web of Life and Destiny, which links all the worlds of the multiverse?
    • (final capstone - Evolve or Die) Can turn into a werespider once per several days (or having to rest for a while in a cocoon before it can use this feature again...).

PROS:
    • The character is very characterized and transcribable.

CONS:
    • nickl_2000 is already proposing it, but I would love if he took inspiration from these points.

There are very few uses for shocking hands, I mostly just threw it in there to replicate Miles Morales ability.

Based on all the feedback though it seems the mechanics would be better as abilities rather than spells, so sounds like it needs a significant re-write 🙂. I'll take a shot at it next week and will try and get reviews of other entries soon
    I'm not a big fan of Miles Morales' powers, being able to give shocks and become invisible doesn't make any sense to me, as does Jessica Drew's ability to fly and charm people. However, once per turn, you could just add the effects of a 1st level shocking grasp to one of the unarmed strikes, spending ki points.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-05-30 at 12:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

As for the jojo/pokemon trainer i would personally not use CR for it. CR is very janky and giving creatures with a CR to players has problems. If at any point CR 8 becomes available the DM will never be able to throw a hydra at the party again. I'm of the opinion that having a single statblock or set of statblocks you can reflavor and customize is better. Like you can create a eidolon (which ill call it here because its similar to how PF summoners work) with various features tacked on depending on budget. If you want defeating monsters to be part of it then have features it can access be dependent on creatures you've beaten.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    As for the jojo/pokemon trainer i would personally not use CR for it. CR is very janky and giving creatures with a CR to players has problems. If at any point CR 8 becomes available the DM will never be able to throw a hydra at the party again. I'm of the opinion that having a single statblock or set of statblocks you can reflavor and customize is better. Like you can create a eidolon (which ill call it here because its similar to how PF summoners work) with various features tacked on depending on budget. If you want defeating monsters to be part of it then have features it can access be dependent on creatures you've beaten.
    Thankyou for you answer!

You are probably right, but creating a Stat block (or more ideally, a list of actions and traits, since the character don't summon a permanent creature but just recall it's power time to time) is the last thing I want to do.

Also, the idea was to tie the CR not directly to the level of the character, but with a progression. For example, it could start with 1/2 at 1st level, became 1 at 3rd, and then increase by one at each odd level, up to 8 when you reach 17th level. Or it can start at 1/4 and go up to 7, or start at 1 and go up to 9, but I have to run some math for that.

Finally, this power should have a cost (ideally, a KI cost if the base class is a monk) to limit the number of uses through the day.

Anyway, it is probably still quite hard to balance.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: Patron: The Portrait
    Show

Expanded Spell List: Pretty thematic, i like it.

Aging Portrait: I really like this feature mechanically, but it's weird you need to have it within 5 feet of you. It also doesn't give a size so you could have your portrait in a locket. Thematically having the portrait be something that you need to keep on you is kinda weird to the source material since Dorian was terrified of something happening to it, and if my memory of league of extortionary gentlemen is correct he died if he saw it. I might abstract it out a but more or make it like a phylactery, though that goes against 5e design philosophy so it's understandable.

Deceitful Youth: I like it. Not much of a balance issue, just a nice spell for you.

Beauty of the Vice: Very good counterspell effect. You're gonna be better at messing up spellcasting than anyone else in the party. At this level though you're probably fine, especially since counterspells are assumed at this level.

The Portrait of Life Trapping: Very strong save or die. In fact since it's infinite use it's a very. very strong way to burn legendary resistances. If a boss has it in it's line of sight then it has to save every turn or close it's eyes, meaning it has to deal with the blinded condition. You can also move where it's pointing (presumably) as an item interaction. I would also add a clause that you can choose which creatures are immune just because otherwise fighting a large group of creatures will result in them constantly popping in and out of the cell every round, also means party members don't need to deal with the blinded condition.

Over all, very nice. I personally might take a look at the capstone but over all it's fair and well made.
    Thank you for your review. I changed The Portrait of Life Trapping. I added a clause about immunity for the next 24 hours on a successful save or escape. Also I added the clause that once a creature is trapped, the magic of the portrait is suspended for a while in order to prevent creatures popping in and out. Also I clarified that a creature can avert its eyes much like in a medusa's stat block in order to prevent munchkinish "The boss can't avert his eyes because it is not explicitly stated in the feature" :-)

The reason for a portrait being Small and needing to carry around yourself is simple. The feature itself is based on Abjuration Wizard's Arcane Ward, but a warlock gets a feature at level 1, so I wanted something that is both similar to and weaker than the Arcane Ward. Hence, the portrait can be destroyed and there is a drawback for the destruction of the portrait.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Ripped apart my way of the spider and made it ability based instead of spell based. There are no lots of abilities that you can see.

There are a few that I ignored since the monk does it well.

-agile landings - Monk's slow fall
    -fast speed - monks speed increase and step of the wind
    -reflexes - prof in all saves when they get high enough level
    -healing factor - as of Tasha's monk can use Ki to heal themselves.
    -enhanced jumping - step of the wind, but it can be enhanced further as well.

I would love it if anyone has time to take a look at the new version and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-06-01 at 02:58 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ripped apart my way of the spider and made it ability based instead of spell based. There are no lots of abilities that you can see.

I would love it if anyone has time to take a look at the new version and let me know what you think.
    It's much better.

IMO, it's missing a super strength ability: 1 ki to lift/push/drag as if you were one size larger (and maybe allow it to self-stack so you can lift as a huge or even gargantuan creature with 2 or 3 ki spent) would be pretty rad.

I feel like the jump ability is redundant with step of the wind, and you'll bump up against the move speed limit on jumps anyway.

If both Mark of Kaine and Stingers add damage based on an extra MA dice, I think Venom Blast should do the same instead of scaling like a cantrip. Also, unsure why Venom Blast gets a rider effect while the others don't. IMO either add a comparable rider to the others or remove it from venom Blast.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Orc in the Playground

I like it much more! The fact that you haven't divided the powers into different levels leaves you with less design room, and also introduces the same issue of maneuvers and metamagic options (the fact that a player tends to pick the best at lower levels, leaving the less interesting to the higher). Anyway overall seems cool.

For personal taste, I would still love more from the final capstone, like something that once per week gives you ALL the powers for the next hour, or that goes completely metaphisic (even both, since the latter would be probably an utility feature...).

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    It's much better.

IMO, it's missing a super strength ability: 1 ki to lift/push/drag as if you were one size larger (and maybe allow it to self-stack so you can lift as a huge or even gargantuan creature with 2 or 3 ki spent) would be pretty rad.

I feel like the jump ability is redundant with step of the wind, and you'll bump up against the move speed limit on jumps anyway.

If both Mark of Kaine and Stingers add damage based on an extra MA dice, I think Venom Blast should do the same instead of scaling like a cantrip. Also, unsure why Venom Blast gets a rider effect while the others don't. IMO either add a comparable rider to the others or remove it from venom Blast.
    I liked the rider, that was actually the part I was most interested in. So I changed it to just use the rider, be based on a bonus action and have no ki cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    I like it much more! The fact that you haven't divided the powers into different levels leaves you with less design room, and also introduces the same issue of maneuvers and metamagic options (the fact that a player tends to pick the best at lower levels, leaving the less interesting to the higher). Anyway overall seems cool.

For personal taste, I would still love more from the final capstone, like something that once per week gives you ALL the powers for the next hour, or that goes completely metaphisic (even both, since the latter would be probably an utility feature...).
    I know the problem, but there just aren't enough option to build a spider skill tree in my mind. So, I went with the battlemaster option. I did re-jigger the level 17 ability to be similar but overall more powerful.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Review time

Spoiler: Artificer: The Monster Hunter
    Show

Welcome to the party. I love seeing new people and new ideas! I know absolutely nothing about the source material, so this review will be completely and utterly based on the read :)

Field Smith - seems like there needs to some DM fiat here. For example, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to make studded leather out Iron Golem. Very minor, but just mention in there that the player should work with their DM. I do have a slight problem with Full Plate and Half Plate being able to be made during a short rest. This is some potential for economic abuse here that the Artificer could make Full Plate and sell it for 500gp a pop. Enough dead bodies and they are so rich they would never need to actually adventure. I would consider limiting the amount of armors/weapons that can be made at once to avoid this potential problem.

Hunter Longsword - item: Double-Bladed Scimitar. The name seems odd here, is that a typo?

Hunter Hammer - Stunned is a really, really powerful condition to incur. Even if it is only for a little over a round. Maybe a different effect or maybe a save to avoid being stunned?

Hunter Insectglaive - Item: Longbow seems like another copy and paste error.

Otherwise it looks very interesting. I would love to see how it plays :)

Spoiler: Warlock Patron: the Portrait
    Show

The Aging Portrait - The mechanics of the HPs is confusing to me. Can you re-word or clarify it somehow?

Beauty of the Vice - I'm glad you have this limited in number of uses. This could be extremely, extremely powerful with the ability to get spells back. My thoughts were that this was to powerful, but in some campaigns you could go days without running into someone who actually casts spells.

Spoiler: Rogue Archetype: The Archaeologist
    Show

I think the most interesting thing here is that you give the ability for a Rogue to sneak attack with a two handed weapon. This is something the original designers have worked very hard to avoid, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. With only 1 attack, the difference in damage between a 1d12 weapon and a 1d8 weapon isn't all that significant.

Why did it have to be snakes.... I mean I Hate These Guys - Adding the damage against them is perfectly fine. However add your Int mod to the attack roll will break bounded accuracy pretty badly. Archery fighting style adds a +2 and is significant enough that those types of fighters will rarely miss. Adding a potential +5 is gigantic.

You Betrayed Shiva - This one of pretty significantly overpowered. There is no max uses, so you can counter things all day long. The DC is Max 19. However, if you are proficient in Arcana, Religion, or History, the lowest roll you will see at level 17 is 16+int. So, since int helps a lot, likely you are going to have a +3 int mod making those checks a guaranteed success at 19 (10 from reliable talent, 6 from prof bonus, 3 from int mod). Meaning you can counter a spell that you see/hear every single round.

I like the idea here, I like a ability to make a strength rogue. There are a few skills that need some work though.

Sorry, my energy is flagging. I will come back tomorrow for the rest of the posted subclasses.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

I know the problem, but there just aren't enough option to build a spider skill tree in my mind. So, I went with the battlemaster option. I did re-jigger the level 17 ability to be similar but overall more powerful.
    I like it,but you have wrote "spider skills" instead of "spider powers". Also, can you use both "stingers" and "mark of Kane" on the same attack? I would probably specify that you can't apply more effects on the same attack, or i would change "mark of Kane" in something that needs a prolonged contact, like dealing automatic damage if you finish a turn grappling or grappled by a creature...

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    I like it,but you have wrote "spider skills" instead of "spider powers". Also, can you use both "stingers" and "mark of Kane" on the same attack? I would probably specify that you can't apply more effects on the same attack, or i would change "mark of Kane" in something that needs a prolonged contact, like dealing automatic damage if you finish a turn grappling or grappled by a creature...
    Woops, thanks for the catch.

Actually my thought was that sure you can use both the stingers and mark of caine. The PC are talking about level 17+ here, you should be silly powerful and if you do this you are burning through ki very quickly. Plus you only can choose to use the Avatar once per day, or if you are using it more often you are already burning a massive amount of Ki to even activate it.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

16. - Top - End - #586

Chimera

Review time

Spoiler: Artificer: The Monster Hunter
    Show

Welcome to the party. I love seeing new people and new ideas! I know absolutely nothing about the source material, so this review will be completely and utterly based on the read :)

Field Smith - seems like there needs to some DM fiat here. For example, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to make studded leather out Iron Golem. Very minor, but just mention in there that the player should work with their DM. I do have a slight problem with Full Plate and Half Plate being able to be made during a short rest. This is some potential for economic abuse here that the Artificer could make Full Plate and sell it for 500gp a pop. Enough dead bodies and they are so rich they would never need to actually adventure. I would consider limiting the amount of armors/weapons that can be made at once to avoid this potential problem.

Hunter Longsword - item: Double-Bladed Scimitar. The name seems odd here, is that a typo?

Hunter Hammer - Stunned is a really, really powerful condition to incur. Even if it is only for a little over a round. Maybe a different effect or maybe a save to avoid being stunned?

Hunter Insectglaive - Item: Longbow seems like another copy and paste error.

Otherwise it looks very interesting. I would love to see how it plays :)

Spoiler: Warlock Patron: the Portrait
    Show

The Aging Portrait - The mechanics of the HPs is confusing to me. Can you re-word or clarify it somehow?

Beauty of the Vice - I'm glad you have this limited in number of uses. This could be extremely, extremely powerful with the ability to get spells back. My thoughts were that this was to powerful, but in some campaigns you could go days without running into someone who actually casts spells.

Spoiler: Rogue Archetype: The Archaeologist
    Show

I think the most interesting thing here is that you give the ability for a Rogue to sneak attack with a two handed weapon. This is something the original designers have worked very hard to avoid, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. With only 1 attack, the difference in damage between a 1d12 weapon and a 1d8 weapon isn't all that significant.

Why did it have to be snakes.... I mean I Hate These Guys - Adding the damage against them is perfectly fine. However add your Int mod to the attack roll will break bounded accuracy pretty badly. Archery fighting style adds a +2 and is significant enough that those types of fighters will rarely miss. Adding a potential +5 is gigantic.

You Betrayed Shiva - This one of pretty significantly overpowered. There is no max uses, so you can counter things all day long. The DC is Max 19. However, if you are proficient in Arcana, Religion, or History, the lowest roll you will see at level 17 is 16+int. So, since int helps a lot, likely you are going to have a +3 int mod making those checks a guaranteed success at 19 (10 from reliable talent, 6 from prof bonus, 3 from int mod). Meaning you can counter a spell that you see/hear every single round.

I like the idea here, I like a ability to make a strength rogue. There are a few skills that need some work though.

Sorry, my energy is flagging. I will come back tomorrow for the rest of the posted subclasses.
    Ah thanks for pointing out the I-glaive mistake, I thought I caught all of those. As for the longsword, appearance aside it’s mechanics are intentional. Monster Hunter longswords are basically body length katanas that swing a lot faster than greatswords. So mechanically a double bladed scimitar fits best for it.

I’ll look over hammer again. I’ll admit a no save stun on a crit looked a bit sacky even while I was writing it. Thanks for the review.

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Okay, I am late again but I got it talled and accounted for.

Our third place entrant is Damon_Tor with the Corps Patron. Grab your power rings and focus your willpower, because you just found an alien lantern.

In second place, we have sengmeng with the Archaelogist. Why isn't this an official subclass again? It's iconic!

And our first place winner is Oerlaf with the Portrait Patron. Why bother with morality when all the consequences happen to someone else (even if that someone else is a version of you)?

Our theme votes showed Something Borrowed as a resounding favorite, with My Way is Different ekeing out a one-point lead for runner-up, meaning it carries forward yet again. RickAsWritten's new theme suggestions are being added to the pool (other than the seasons which is already in there as "This Season On").
    Voting's called, even if slightly late. New thread to arrive soon!

And here it is! https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...9#post25512119
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2022-07-07 at 12:35 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

congratulations to the winners!
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Congrats to the winners of the last one. Lots of cool stuff from top to bottom.

I was ready at the starting gun on this one, so my entry, the Barbarian: Path of the Psi-Fury, is up.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...31&postcount=2

There has been a common complaint that barbarians are too focused on smashing things with heavy implements, so this one has plenty of things to do, and abilities that are mostly independent of Rage. They specialize in battlefield control and have a less-than-subtle nod to a certain Marvel character.
    Balance-wise, I usually start by putting down as many cool abilities as I can, and then scale back to balance on revisions, so I'm excited to see what people think.
    Last edited by RickAsWritten; 2022-07-07 at 12:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Welp. I've not only managed to miss the deadline for the last contest I entered, but I've also managed to miss the entire next contest. Oops. Well, exams and summer job hunting will do that I guess. Anyways, I'm back (again) and excited for this one: the previous Something Borroweds were probably my favourite to read through when I first found out about this thing, so I'm excited to be able to contribute to one.
    Temporarily back from the void between realities.
    Don't ask how long I'll be here for, I have no idea.

22. - Top - End - #592

SamuraiGuy

Ok, so I've just had a thought: Would it be ok to borrow from the Rune Scribe prestige class from one of the extremely early unearthed arcana articles (this one specifically: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...tige_Class.pdf). It's... sort of a class and is UA. Obviously, the subclass would be for another class (fighter? wizard? not sure yet), it would be the borrowed aspects being drawn from Rune Scribe.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowben Gaming View Post
    Ok, so I've just had a thought: Would it be ok to borrow from the Rune Scribe prestige class from one of the extremely early unearthed arcana articles (this one specifically: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...tige_Class.pdf). It's... sort of a class and is UA. Obviously, the subclass would be for another class (fighter? wizard? not sure yet), it would be the borrowed aspects being drawn from Rune Scribe.
    Yeah that would be fine. Unearthed Arcana posts are specifically allowed as sources in the rules. I never put a limit on how old they could be.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594

Chimera

Chameleon Monk was a thing the second go around but i’m thinking about making a chameleon bard. That or a sorcadin, but I do have a Paladin based sorcerer origin already made elsewhere so I would need to intentionally differentiate the two. Which isn’t a bad thing but I run the risk of it being predictable. Any opinions?

25. - Top - End - #595

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Yeah that would be fine. Unearthed Arcana posts are specifically allowed as sources in the rules. I never put a limit on how old they could be.
    Cheers, I figured it would be ok, but thought I'd ask anyways. So I'm thinking of using artificer for the base class.

Chameleon Monk was a thing the second go around but i’m thinking about making a chameleon bard. That or a sorcadin, but I do have a Paladin based sorcerer origin already made elsewhere so I would need to intentionally differentiate the two. Which isn’t a bad thing but I run the risk of it being predictable. Any opinions?
    The chameleon monk looked really fun when I was reading through the previous contests, so I'm up for chameleon bard.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

I have two ideas:

The Sapper, a Fighter that borrows from the Artificer.
    The Hermit, a Wizard that borrows from Barbarian, with a sort of arcane Rage called Trance.

Hope to have time to write something!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-07-09 at 12:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

Anybody ever notice how the Eldritch Knight actually has absolutely no focus even remotely relevant to our primary eldritch class, the Warlock?

We also need a few more representatives for that severely underrated Wild Magic shenanigans.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

28. - Top - End - #598

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Anybody ever notice how the Eldritch Knight actually has absolutely no focus even remotely relevant to our primary eldritch class, the Warlock?

We also need a few more representatives for that severely underrated Wild Magic shenanigans.
    Just took the 3.5 PrC’s name. It’s not even fitting for a fighter, the PRC was 9/10. At most it should have been a arcane Paladin subclass or something

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Weaponsmith is done.

This is a fighter who borrows thematically and mechanically from the artificer, allowing for the creation of super-weapons which outperform their existing counterparts. Ever wonder why there's no compound bow or repeating crossbow in 5e? It's because you haven't invented them yet. Do you feel like a reflavored longsword doesn't do justice to some historical blade you fancy? Create one for yourself. Do you feel like the system would benefit from something like a two-handed finesse weapon or a one-handed heavy weapon? Be the change you seek.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by RickAsWritten View Post
    Congrats to the winners of the last one. Lots of cool stuff from top to bottom.

I was ready at the starting gun on this one, so my entry, the Barbarian: Path of the Psi-Fury, is up.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...31&postcount=2

There has been a common complaint that barbarians are too focused on smashing things with heavy implements, so this one has plenty of things to do, and abilities that are mostly independent of Rage. They specialize in battlefield control and have a less-than-subtle nod to a certain Marvel character.
    Balance-wise, I usually start by putting down as many cool abilities as I can, and then scale back to balance on revisions, so I'm excited to see what people think.
    This is awesome. I'm going to hit you with some nitpicks, mostly mechanics that need clarification.

Unstoppable Force is great, but it doesn't actually say you can pass through occupied spaces when you use the ability, which would seem to be the implication. If you use the ability to go through a wall or door and don't deal the object enough damage to destroy it, what's supposed to happen? Great ability and it looks fun, but I feel like the mechanics need to be clearer.

Immovable Object: The dice roll affecting both the length of the wall and the duration seems way too swingy: a 5-foot forcewall that lasts 6 seconds is useless in most scenarios (and still eats the resource) while a 50-foot forcewall that lasts a full minute can basically be a win condition. IMO, make the length equal to 5*conmod instead, then have just the duration be based on the psi roll. This is also a pretty strong ability: I would swap this with Psionic Restraints, so you'd get this at 6th level and Psionic Restraints at 3rd.

I don't have any objections to Shared Fury on a mechanical level, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be happening in a narrative sense. The ranger is looking for tracks and the barbarian helps him by... what? How does "sharing his fury" help the wizard identify a magical effect or the cleric tell if somebody is lying? Maybe the name just needs a rethink?

Psionic Restraints is cool, but you need to say what kind of action it takes, if any. Is the initial grapple supposed to be a free action that only consumes the psi-die? Or is this supposed to be a complement to a standard grapple you perform using the attack action as normal?

I like Psychic Terrain's ability to leave a trail of rubble behind you as you charge in. The bonus-action rubble-clearing seems useful in some niche cases, especially where you have particularly dangerous forms of terrain created by spells.

Guarding Fury is good. Solid feature, no notes.

Psychic Juggernaut adds some neat synergy between the restraint and the charge, which is great (depending on how the timing of the restraint is supposed to work, see my question about that above).

Overall: looks like a blast.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-07-09 at 07:08 AM.