New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Added the following as an additional 3rd level ability:

Improvised Innovation
    Also at third level, you are uniquely adept at quickly weaponizing your surroundings. You are proficient with improvised weapons, and as a bonus action you can add one of the options from the Melee Signature Weapon table to an improvised weapon you're holding. An improvised weapon cannot have more than 1 signature weapon option. This modification lasts 1 hour.

And this addendum to Iron Monger:

Also, you gain the ability to preserve the unique magical properties of any weapons you use for raw materials. As a part of crafting a signature weapon, you can transfer the enchantment from a magical weapon to the new weapon you create, destroying the original magical weapon in the process. An enchantment on a ranged weapon cannot be transferred to a melee weapon or vice versa.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-07-14 at 12:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Added the following as an additional 3rd level ability:

Improvised Innovation
    Also at third level, you're uniquely adept at quickly weaponizing your surroundings. You are proficient with improvised weapons, and as a bonus action you can add one of the options from the Melee Signature Weapon table to an improvised weapon you're holding. An improvised weapon cannot have more than 1 signature weapon option. This modification lasts 1 hour.

And this addendum to Iron Monger:

Also, you gain the ability to preserve the unique magical properties of any weapons you use for raw materials. As a part of crafting a signature weapon, you can transfer the enchantment from a magical weapon to the new weapon you create, destroying the original magical weapon in the process. An enchantment on a ranged weapon cannot be transferred to a melee weapon or vice versa.
    I like both of these, they are a good addition to the subclass. More options that don't necessarily cause a big change in overall power level.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #633
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Notes in italics in the spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Spoiler: Barbarian: Path of the Psi-Fury
    Show

I like the idea of a barbarian that uses mental stats, so I'm excited to see what this has to offer.

Unstoppable Force - If moving through an opponents space is it considered difficult terrain? If you are using the option rule of opposed checks as part of the DMG it is, but I could see this overriding that. I also am seeing flashes of the cool-aid man with this, breaking through walls and I'm highly entertained by the possibilities. The balance of the ability seems fine. You can do a lot of damage with it at early levels, but you are limited to a straight line. Also something to consider, what happens if you use your bonus action to use this ability and your action to dash? Can you use it for all the movement, or just the distance from your normal move.

Good point on the difficult terrain. Added a clause to override the optional rule. The ability is meant to be only used as the bonus action, so a Dash action would allow you to move more as normal, but it would not extend the line damage. Reworked the wording to differentiate the special movement.

Psionic Restraints - I don't see if there are opposed checks, or an attack, or what that makes this ability take place. Also, on the second round of using it, I would have it replace the attack again instead of a full action.

It is meant to be a supplement to a normal Grapple. Normally you can initiate a grapple only with a creature in melee range, but a Psi-Fury can initiate a grapple at range. I reworked the wording again to ensure that this is clear.

Clarity of Rage - The ability here seems okay, the fluff around seems a little off to me. How does pushing against fight or flight make it so you do better in a mental ability check? I personally would look at changing other the ability or the name/fluff to make them match a bit better.

Haha Damon_Tor pointed out the same thing and it's already had a fluff change once. I'm definitely in agreeance, but have yet to nail down a solid theming to support the mechanics.

It is a little unusual that a barbarian doesn't have anything to do with rage at level 3. It goes against the grain and design of the wotc subclasses, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but something to know that as you are considering this subclass.

This was a definite and purposeful design choice. A major criticism of the barbarian class is that it is wholly dependent on Rage and that it becomes a crappier Fighter when out of them. This subclass is meant to shore-up that weakness. Minor note: the Psychic Restraint ability is Rage dependent.

Immovable Object - I'm not a fan of the fact that this is immune to damage and there is no way to break it outside of 2 spells. Done right in a dungeon, you can easily block 1-2 enemies into a corner

It is a very strong ability that can be encounter defining. I see your point that it may need some sort of limitation, but I would hate to make an ability called Immovable Object create easily destructible walls. I added the following that is directly from the spell Wall of Stone: "If a creature would be surrounded on all sides by the wall (or the wall and another solid surface), that creature can make a Dexterity saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. On a success, it can use its reaction to move up to its speed so that it is no longer enclosed by the wall."

Psychic Terrain - So how does this interact with something like Spike Growth. Spike Growth is difficult terrain, does it make it so you can move freely without damage, or you take damage but you don't get slowed? How about something like stairs that is difficult terrain?

Mmmm, good point on Spike Growth. As currently written I think your second interpretation is correct, and I'm ok with that. I added a clause about secondary effects related to difficult terrain still being active.
    Stairs get rearranged into an easy to traverse ramp. A cliff side is rearranged to have easily accessible handholds. A stream stops flowing against you as you wade through.

Guarding Fury - So they way you have this phrased to cure someone else you also need to charmed. If you are charmed you can use a psy die to cure yourself. Then you may also spend another to cure others. Is that your intent? Or can you spend a die to cure others without the one on you first?

That is the intent. Basically it is meant to be a protection against the whole party getting hit by something like a Hypnotic Pattern or an AoE frighten. I can see the charm of wanting to do it on others without being affected yourself though. I'll work that in there.

Overall its an interesting subclass. It's a very dynamic take on a class that has a tendency to be one dimensional.

Last edited by RickAsWritten; 2022-07-14 at 01:57 PM.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Following the trend of making angry subclasses, I put my own entry in there with the Monk, Way of the Rage Master. You can be an angry, hulking, raging monk!
    We should have called this the Angry Subclass Contest!

--------------------

Offering a few points from my perception:

Spoiler: Druid Archetype: Circle of Fury
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Lvl 10: Nature's Wrath: On a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, in addition to the usual effects you can also release either a 15' cone, 10ft cube or 30ft line of that energy damage, dealing d6+Wis mod, no save. You can only gain this benefit once per turn.

Lvl 14: Nature's Mercy: After rage must come peace, and after violence must come healing. When you slay a creature with a melee weapon attack, you gain the ability to cast Reincarnate upon them without spending a spell slot. This ability does not work on Undead, Constructs. They come back as an Awakened Beast (Except for Oozes, Oozes always become Awakened Plants for some reason). The exact type of Beast will be determined by your DM, but is limited to CR 2 or lower.
    Their alignment is changed one step towards True Neutral, their Int is raised to 10 if it was lower. They have memories of their past life, but none of their abilities. They may keep 2 skill proficiencies if they had any. They remember that you killed them and as such are NOT charmed by you. Otherwise, their new perspective means they are not hostile to you.
    You may only perform this ability once, regaining use of it when you finish a long rest.
    Nature's Wrath: Three different kinds of AoE to choose from is versatile, but doesn't fit all the elements, IMO. You could model it after each dragon breath weapon having a specific AoE.

Nature's Mercy doesn't really seem to serve a direct purpose. My suggestion would be that you could spawn an elemental, relevant to the current environment, that has a newfound respect for the cycle of life. Maybe it isn't hostile toward you, but might help to defend nature with you for the next hour (or more) before going off on its own.

I've always appreciated (and been wary of) the concept of nature fighting back against the disrespect expressed by its inhabitants. This was a clever way to embody that.

Spoiler: The Hermit
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    The Hermit Table
    Level Trances Trance Damage
    2nd 2 +1
    6th 3 +2
    10th 4 +3
    14th 5 +4
    Ok guys, i posted The Hermit, a sub-class that at the moment does not satisfy me at all. Even if the result is somehow elegant, at least IMHO, for now it is nothing more than a copy-paste of various barbarian signature features, with some words replaced. I still have doubts about the interaction of features with spell attack rolls only, I am considering making them more generic for all spells.
    You mentioned being worried about only applying bonuses to spell attack rolls. The only place I can see this being an issue is with an AoE like fireball. Perhaps you could include in your table an increase in Save difficulty strictly on your damaging spells (fits with the theme). It would increase with level exactly the same way as the bonus damage and only while in a Trance.

I think simplicity is a great foundation to build on, no matter where you take this. And you inspired me to build Eric "Play with Squirrels" Matthews. How, I'm not quite sure.

Spoiler: Monk Way of the Rage Master
    Show
    Embracing the Anger
    At level 3 a rage monk learns to embrace their anger and channel their ki into it as a bonus action. At the cost of 2 ki, they embrace the rage to gain the following abilities:
    • Monk Weapons and Unarmed Strikes for 1d10 damage, when you reach level 11 Monk Weapons and Unarmed Strikes deal 1d12 damage, when you reach level 17 Monk Weapons and Unarmed Strikes deal 2d8 damage.
    • You gain temporary HP equal to your monk level. This temporary hp lasts until the rage ends.
    For clarification, are you allowed to use all Monk abilities while raging (Flurry of Blows, Stunning Strike, etc.)? If so, 1d10 at level 3 might have some crazy numbers. I would personally start 1d8 (which is still double base Monk) and improving from there: 1d10 at 6th, 1d12 at 11th, and 2d8 at 17th.

I mean, there's also the Ki count as a very well balanced usage limit so maybe I'm just giving it too much thought.

Really amusing take on an alternate path. Monk's don't usually flex their way to victory.
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-07-14 at 11:34 PM.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

My own ideas are running dry, I'm sure I will come up with something, but I wanted to be better on reviews than I was in the past. As a reminder, a lot of times I give a stream of conscious review about what I am thinking as I read it. I also didn't look at other reviews, so I based it entirely off what I saw, not any other discussions.

Spoiler: Rogue: Hourglass
    Show

Vigilant Acuity - I don't see issues here, similar to Swashbuckler but a little less powerful since int comes up less often than cha.

Perceptive Imposition - How do you trigger the breaking of an hourglass? Is it a bonus action, action, is it done as your roll like Bardic Inspiration to give a bonus? If you use your reaction to grant the benefit to someone else as well, when do they have to use the bonus. As in, I used my hourglass to get a bonus on my attack roll this turn and also use my reaction to give it to someone else. That someone else get a bonus to their attack roll, for only their next turn? Until they use it? How exactly?

Chronal Aptitude - This seems overly complicated with being limited to int mod times per day at the end of a long rest. I wouldn't bother when you are at 9th level already. Just give one use back at the end of each short rest. This isn't broken at this level at all and is significantly easier to write, track, and understand.

Temporal Status - I'm not sure on the point of this ability on a Rogue (or this spell in most situations). Time Stop may be fitting to your theme, but it really kind of sucks, especially for a Rogue. Basically you are giving yourself the ability to move around since once you cast and spell that impacts someone else or do damage to someone else it ends.

I like the time aspects of this, I like the idea on the rogue. However, I would suggest you completely drop the 17th level ability for something else way more useful. Foresight may be to powerful, but it would be fitting to the theme and actually be useful.
    Taking suggestions and applying them accordingly, very much appreciated! Here are some notes along the way:

Perceptive Imposition: I've adjusted some wording to specify what type of actions should be required.

Chronal Aptitude: This initially was precisely as you mentioned, but I received some advice about a concern (quoted below) and then modified it. BUT, I've had an entirely different idea to better account for both of these recommendations.
    Looks good. One thing I noticed: Chronal Aptitude needs to be reworded to keep you from accumulating infinite dice.
    Temporal Stasis: I agree, my very first consideration was foresight (and a different name) but hesitation spoke to me in the form of, "free advantage for Rogue all day?" Mega-strooonk... especially compared to other subclass Rogue level 17 features. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this capstone, haha. Any suggestions? Anybody?
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-07-14 at 11:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground

Thankyou for your tips!

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    You mentioned being worried about only applying bonuses to spell attack rolls. The only place I can see this being an issue is with an AoE like fireball. Perhaps you could include in your table an increase in Save difficulty strictly on your damaging spells (fits with the theme). It would increase with level exactly the same way as the bonus damage and only while in a Trance.
    More than increasing the DC of saving throws i was thinking in something like "choose a creature affected by the spell effects before you cast. you gain a bonus to the damage dealt to that creature, if any, that increases as you gain levels as a wizard, as shown in the Trance Damage column of the Hermit table."

And maybe, you could choose two creature instead of one from 6th level.

Now you have to consider that giving disadvantage on a saving throws means roughly giving a malus of -2/-3, so I am worried that increasing the saving throws would be too strong. Also, increasing the damage is more in line with the "raging origin".

I think simplicity is a great foundation to build on, no matter where you take this. And you inspired me to build Eric "Play with Squirrels" Matthews. How, I'm not quite sure.
    OK, now I'm curious... Who is Eric "Play with Squirrels" Matthews?
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-07-15 at 12:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Druid Archetype: Circle of Fury
    Show

Lvl 2: Primal Fury - I have one significant issue here, and that is that a Druid and "rage" more often than a barbarian. You get 2 uses per short rest as a Druid, Barbs get 6 max until level 20. As in at level 2 you will rage possibly 6 times in a day vs the Barbs 2. So, the solutions.... don't make it the same as a barbarian, make the rage weaker or different (give different abilities, weakened abilities, etc). Doing this will allow you to keep the flavor without stealing everything from the barbarian.

Lvl 6: Furious Speed: - Personal opinion, 2 attacks at level 6 is plenty and this isn't needed.

Lvl 14: Nature's Mercy - Huh, this one is interesting. Since you don't charm the awakened animal, they would immediately come back as another creature that would likely attack you (since it did before and why wouldn't it now). I guess I don't completely see the advantage of doing this, what does it gain you? What do you imagine as being the usage of this ability?

Ah yes that is a problem with Primal Fury. I'm changing it to give more animalistic traits. Speed, perception and your choice of Strength, Dex or Con advantages. That also gets rid of the extra stuff at level 6.

Natures Mercy needs a revamp, I'm working on it.

Natures Wrath is also WIP. I think AoE claws bursting out hits the note im feeling better. Ive always viewed druids as a having 3 areas of expertise, animals, plants and elements. This is an animal-based subclass i feel.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

We should have called this the Angry Subclass Contest!

--------------------

Spoiler: Monk Way of the Rage Master
    Show

For clarification, are you allowed to use all Monk abilities while raging (Flurry of Blows, Stunning Strike, etc.)? If so, 1d10 at level 3 might have some crazy numbers. I would personally start 1d8 (which is still double base Monk) and improving from there: 1d10 at 6th, 1d12 at 11th, and 2d8 at 17th.

I mean, there's also the Ki count as a very well balanced usage limit so maybe I'm just giving it too much thought.

Really amusing take on an alternate path. Monk's don't usually flex their way to victory.
    Thanks for taking a look, I really depend on others feedback to keep my ideas in check and appreciate everything I can get. The borrowed Rage is intented to make it so you can't cast or concentrate on spells if you multiclass, so you are free to use your monk abilities. I do see your point that 1d10 may be a little much at level 3 and wondered about that myself.

To run the numbers, a monk at level 3 would likely be using a Spear or a Quarterstaff. So, they are doing an average of 4.5 damage with their normal attack and the 2.5 with their bonus action unarmed strike. So, normally assuming that you hit everything you are looking at a standard DPS of 7 + (2 x dex mod). Over the course of a 4 round battle you are likely looking at 52ish damage (assuming you don't flurry).

A monk raging will average 5.5 + dex damage on round 1, then 11 + (2 x dex mod) after round one. Over the course of a 4 round battle you are looking at around 51 + 8.5 = 59.5 damage. So, with the "raging" you get 3 THP and net about an extra 8 damage.

If you use all your ki to flurry rage damage = 68 damage. Normal monk damage = 68.5.

So, as I look at it more, at least at level 3 you are sacrificing .5 damage overall to get 3 THP, which seems online in power. However, this is assuming a 4 round battle and I only ran the numbers for level 3. I am open to changing, but does this make a difference in your opinion?

-----------------
    This was submitted as I was doing the othe reviews

Spoiler: The Hermit
    Show

Sweet, another borrowing from Barbarians :) An angry wizard this time?

Reckless Casting - This one is interesting on a wizard. I actually see this as more effective than the barbarian reckless attack, especially since the goal of much of the rest of the party is to keep people away from the squishie. Assuming that they are doing their job, there may not be all that much in the way or repercussions in using this like a barbarian will see. Still, there are lots of ways to gain advantage on attacks, so it seems okay to me (especially since the most devastating wizard spells aren't spell attacks but saves).

I don't see any issues here really. It borrows nicely from the rage mechanic (although less angry than some of our other entries) and doesn't feel broken in any real way. I like it.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-07-15 at 07:45 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

Sweet, another borrowing from Barbarians :) An angry wizard this time?

Reckless Casting - This one is interesting on a wizard. I actually see this as more effective than the barbarian reckless attack, especially since the goal of much of the rest of the party is to keep people away from the squishie. Assuming that they are doing their job, there may not be all that much in the way or repercussions in using this like a barbarian will see. Still, there are lots of ways to gain advantage on attacks, so it seems okay to me (especially since the most devastating wizard spells aren't spell attacks but saves).

I don't see any issues here really. It borrows nicely from the rage mechanic (although less angry than some of our other entries) and doesn't feel broken in any real way. I like it.
    Thankyou for your review!

Exactly, my idea was to create a sort of arcane Rage, while trying to give the feeling of a diametrically opposite thing. A tranquility of the mind rather than a bloodlust fury.
    As I said before, the thing that convinces me less is the fact that the features apply only to spell attack rolls, I am studying a version to extend them to all spells that inflict damage, without breaking it or distorting its barbarian origins.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thankyou for your review!

Exactly, my idea was to create a sort of arcane Rage, while trying to give the feeling of a diametrically opposite thing. A tranquility of the mind rather than a bloodlust fury.
    As I said before, the thing that convinces me less is the fact that the features apply only to spell attack rolls, I am studying a version to extend them to all spells that inflict damage, without breaking it or distorting its barbarian origins.
    You could give them the ability to turn any spell that would normally be a dex save into a spell attack instead. Turn half damage on a save to half damage on a miss. It wouldn't change that much, but it would allow them to crit, which could then play into other features that play off crits.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Orc in the Playground

You could give them the ability to turn any spell that would normally be a dex save into a spell attack instead. Turn half damage on a save to half damage on a miss. It wouldn't change that much, but it would allow them to crit, which could then play into other features that play off crits.
    That's an interesting idea, I really like that you suggested applying this to Dexterity saving throws only, it's smooth.

The problem is that if you replace every saving throw made by all creatures within range of a fireball with a spell attack roll you would have to add the damage bonus to each spell attack roll, and the result would be too strong. Maybe I could replace it only for a chosen creature, or apply it only to spells that target a single creature (as twinned spell already does).

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's an interesting idea, I really like that you suggested applying this to Dexterity saving throws only, it's smooth.

The problem is that if you replace every saving throw made by all creatures within range of a fireball with a spell attack roll you would have to add the damage bonus to each spell attack roll, and the result would be too strong. Maybe I could replace it only for a chosen creature, or apply it only to spells that target a single creature (as twinned spell already does).
    I mean, evocation wizards and dragon sorcerers add bonus damage to all the targets of a fireball. It's probably fine.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Orc in the Playground

I mean, evocation wizards and dragon sorcerers add bonus damage to all the targets of a fireball. It's probably fine.
    Makes sense.

I made these changes (are temporarily highlighted in blue in the subclass post):
    • Trance. Extended the damage bonus to all spells, similar to the Evocation wizard, although the bonus is presumably smaller and grows slower.
      In the previous version it was applied to every spell attack roll, while now only works on a single damage roll, so spells with multiple attack rolls are now weaker. However, I preferred to leave it like this to not make it too wordy, and to avoid possible shenanigans with Eldritch Blast.
    • Reckless Casting. Now it can also gives disadvantage to the first saving throws of a chosen target. I didn't follow Damon_Tor's suggestion to replace Dexterity saving throws with spell attack rolls because otherwise I could have given disadvantage to too many targets via this feature.
    • Arcane Critical. Now also works when a target rolls a 1 on a saving throw. I basically introduced the magical Critical Failure along with the magical Critical Success.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-07-16 at 07:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey all.

I have some personal stuff building up and I need to take a break from formatting and then abandoning managing these contests (and most likely from participating in them) for a couple months.
    For good or ill I should have a more settled life by September or so, and I can come back and start up again then, but for ending this contest and starting the next one, does anyone feel like interim managing?
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Hey all.

I have some personal stuff building up and I need to take a break from formatting and then abandoning managing these contests (and most likely from participating in them) for a couple months.
    For good or ill I should have a more settled life by September or so, and I can come back and start up again then, but for ending this contest and starting the next one, does anyone feel like interim managing?
    Don't worry man! I'm sure I or one of the other regulars will be able to take care of everything for you!

Take care of yourself!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Hey all.

I can take care of it MoleMage. Do what you need for your personal life and don't worry about us.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Glad you're getting help Molemage! Thanks for stepping up nickl.

Tweaked Circle of Fury Druid. I went with claw/bite AoE on the crit for Natures Wrath and have attempted to streamline Natures Mercy.
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad you're getting help Molemage! Thanks for stepping up nickl.

Tweaked Circle of Fury Druid. I went with claw/bite AoE on the crit for Natures Wrath and have attempted to streamline Natures Mercy.
    It would make sense because MoleMage and nickl_2000 are both 7-time victors, the former in base class, the latter in subclass. Yes, we appreciate it greatly!

Nature's Wrath and Nature's Mercy look so much more focused, much easier to read and apply. I like it! The only concern for clarity: after 8 hours and the creature succeeds, they may become hostile. If the creature fails, does it just go off on its own to learn how to live this nature spirit new life? Either way, clearly no loyalty to you. Makes sense to me. If it stays alive, it's like you're leaving a longer lasting effect on the world in the name of nature's justice, true to nothing and nobody else.

OK, now I'm curious... Who is Eric "Play with Squirrels" Matthews?
    Spoiler: Eric "Plays With Squirrels" Matthews
    Show

Boy Meets World. Alternate future in which the friends aren't friends anymore and he goes off to live as a hermit, then shows up at the the reunion.

Last edited by animorte; 2022-07-19 at 07:55 AM.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

Boy Meets World. Alternate future in which the friends aren't friends anymore and he goes off to live as a hermit, then shows up at the the reunion.

Hahaha, perfect!

I made the last few adjustments to The Hermit, now I'm at least happy with the result.

Hope to find some time to reviews the other entries!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-07-19 at 09:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My Reviews!

Spoiler: Path of the Psi-Fury
    Show

Love the concept. Psychic Fury is fun. I was a little sad that it's mostly Force Effects, but I get it.

Unstoppable Force is excellent, but when you say non-magical objects are vulnerable do you mean they can be damaged or take twice damage? I would reword it. I would also make it x2 damage in case that wasnt your intent.

Psionic Restraints is a little unclear if you actually have to grapple them or if its a mental affect? I assume its a psionic enhancement to a normal grapple.

Clarity of Rage is thematically strange. Can I ask why Int, Wis, Cha? Why not Str/Dex? Also, only expend the die if the roll succeeds, I don't like. Die rolls should be risks.

Immovable Object I definitely feel is...look I don't know if its overpowered, but I don't like it. 6th level is just too soon for it. I know you want the parallel of Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object, but your Unstoppable Force isn't Unstoppable. I would make it more akin to a Wall of Ice, dealing force damage instead of cold, perhaps being based on Psionic Die.

Psychic Terrain by way of contrast is a creative idea, but perhaps overly niche and complicated. Instead of the combo of Unstoppable Force with it, just have you able to switch it from normal terrain to difficult terrain.

10th and 14th level abilities are all good, but if I may suggest a tweak? Shared Fury grants them a speed boost while moving through your Psychic Terrain.

Spoiler: Weaponsmith
    Show

This is a marvellous idea really fills a niche that we didn't know we needed filled.

What does the Reload mechanic acheive? Im no expert (or Crossbow Expert) on these rules but you reload automatically as part of your next attack. Does it overrule the Loading property allowing you to make multiple attacks in a round?

I also might be missing something but...are you proficient in your Signature Weapon?

Improvised Innovation, Iron Monger, and Arcane Infusions are all fine abilities doing exactly what you'd want.

Revolutionary Armaments: Defensive feels a little weak for 15th level. +2 but doesn't work with a shield?
    Quickdraw also feels a little weak. Perhaps it gives advantage on your first attack with it due to the surprising speed
    Silent and Payload feel like they'd be better off as 3rd level rather than 15th, but with a drawback of -1 dmg dice rather than 15th. At 15th level I'm shooting Dragons and Beholders, a silent bowstring doesn't feel like much.

What is missing from your list is a combo weapon. Swordbows are common enough in fantasy. How do I swordbow bro? Maybe a Returning property as well for the melee weapon that needs to be stacked onto Balance?

Spoiler: Hourglass
    Show

Perceptive Imposition
    This...is a lot isnt it? Its just better than bardic inspiration. Useable less often, sure. but, like, vastly superior, especially using a reaction.

I love, love love Recalibration though!

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What does the Reload mechanic acheive? Im no expert (or Crossbow Expert) on these rules but you reload automatically as part of your next attack. Does it overrule the Loading property allowing you to make multiple attacks in a round?
    Yes, it works with the loading feature so that you only have to take the reload bonus action every X shots (8 in this case) instead of after every shot.

I also might be missing something but...are you proficient in your Signature Weapon?
    Yes. It's a martial weapon, so anyone proficient with martial weapons is proficient with it. One of the options available will make it count as a simple weapon instead, which means you could make them for allies who don't have martial proficiency, and you could do things like have them count as monk weapons.

Revolutionary Armaments: Defensive feels a little weak for 15th level. +2 but doesn't work with a shield?
    The thing about AC is, the more you have, the better each +1 is. On a wizard, +1 to AC isn't great, it might reduce the damage you take by 10%. On a fighter, that +1 to AC goes much further, and might reduce incoming damage by 25%. That said, I think a buff to a +2 while the weapon is wielded in both hands is appropriate to make it a viable property on more builds. EDIT: Feature added.

Quickdraw also feels a little weak. Perhaps it gives advantage on your first attack with it due to the surprising speed
    It's a good idea, but I'm not sure about the implementation. I agree it's weak compared to some of the other options. I'll consider some alternatives.
    EDIT: Added the following: "When you roll initiative you can make one weapon attack with this weapon as a reaction."
    Silent and Payload feel like they'd be better off as 3rd level rather than 15th, but with a drawback of -1 dmg dice rather than 15th. At 15th level I'm shooting Dragons and Beholders, a silent bowstring doesn't feel like much.
    I feel like these are two of the strongest options here in terms of brute-force mechanics. Staying hidden when you attack is massive, it means you go from 1 attack with advantage and 7 without to all 8 attacks with advantage (and at the end of your turn you're still hidden). Payload straight-up adds +2d6 acid damage on every attack, with wiggle room for other payloads if you know you're facing undead or specifically need fire damage for some reason. The offset of the acid ammo might be how expensive it is (25 gp per shot), but for a 15th level character (and one that has features which help it make money faster during downtime to boot) this is largely mitigated. On a third level character though, the cost of the acid would be prohibitive.

What is missing from your list is a combo weapon. Swordbows are common enough in fantasy. How do I swordbow bro? Maybe a Returning property as well for the melee weapon that needs to be stacked onto Balance?
    The combo weapon is a good idea, I'll work on that. Returning is already available as an infusion at 10th level. EDIT: Combo weapon added
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-07-21 at 09:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hourglass
    Show

Perceptive Imposition
    This...is a lot isnt it? Its just better than bardic inspiration. Useable less often, sure. but, like, vastly superior, especially using a reaction.

I love, love love Recalibration though!
    Thank you for taking a look!

I agree. It was intended to be a little stronger being the entire identity of the subclass, providing supportive options not commonly found among Rogues, and lacking the spells to do so.

I debated moving the Intelligence modifier bonus for the rolls to level 9 feature or removing it entirely, but it feels weak late game (especially weak for blocking damage).

I think the reaction is fair, as it trades for potential additional Sneak Attacks.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler: Path of the Psi-Fury
    Show

Love the concept. Psychic Fury is fun. I was a little sad that it's mostly Force Effects, but I get it.

Unstoppable Force is excellent, but when you say non-magical objects are vulnerable do you mean they can be damaged or take twice damage? I would reword it. I would also make it x2 damage in case that wasnt your intent.

Psionic Restraints is a little unclear if you actually have to grapple them or if its a mental affect? I assume its a psionic enhancement to a normal grapple.

Clarity of Rage is thematically strange. Can I ask why Int, Wis, Cha? Why not Str/Dex? Also, only expend the die if the roll succeeds, I don't like. Die rolls should be risks.

Immovable Object I definitely feel is...look I don't know if its overpowered, but I don't like it. 6th level is just too soon for it. I know you want the parallel of Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object, but your Unstoppable Force isn't Unstoppable. I would make it more akin to a Wall of Ice, dealing force damage instead of cold, perhaps being based on Psionic Die.

Psychic Terrain by way of contrast is a creative idea, but perhaps overly niche and complicated. Instead of the combo of Unstoppable Force with it, just have you able to switch it from normal terrain to difficult terrain.

10th and 14th level abilities are all good, but if I may suggest a tweak? Shared Fury grants them a speed boost while moving through your Psychic Terrain.

Ok, I made some broad revisions and, hopefully, tightened up the wording. Thanks to Lvl45DM!, Damon_Tor, and nickl_2000 for the suggestions. It's in a much better place now but please let me know of any incongruities or balance issues. I'll try to get some reviews done over the weekend, but can't promise anything.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes. It's a martial weapon, so anyone proficient with martial weapons is proficient with it. One of the options available will make it count as a simple weapon instead, which means you could make them for allies who don't have martial proficiency, and you could do things like have them count as monk weapons.

The combo weapon is a good idea, I'll work on that. Returning is already available as an infusion at 10th level. EDIT: Combo weapon added
    D'you know what, I got this class backwards, and thought it was an Artificer subclass not a Fighter Subclass. A lot of the ideas do work better with that in mind.

Yesssss AxeCrossbow
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

25. - Top - End - #655
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Well my chamelon bard is done. Probably broken but it should be interesting at least. https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...76&postcount=5
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Well my chamelon bard is done. Probably broken but it should be interesting at least. https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...76&postcount=5
    A curious take on 3.5e Chameleon. My own one for the previous contest of the same theme was based on monk (as per 3.5e class lore, and monk chassis are kinda easy to build on), let's see what we can do with bard.
    Spoiler: Minor Aptitude Focus
    Show

At 3rd level you gain the ability to shift your abilities. After you finish a long rest you can spend an hour to assume a aptitude focus and gain one of the benefits below. These benefits last until you use this feature again. If a benefit requires you to make a choice you can make a different one each time you choose the same benefit.

Brawling Mastery: Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 bludgeoning damage. If you are not holding a weapon or a shield in either hand they instead deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage.

Magic Versatility: Choose one cantrip from any class, you learn that spell and it is a bard spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of bard spells you know. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for that spell. Additionally you can also use your choice of a Arcane focus, Divine Focus, or Druidic focus for your bard spells.

Martial Training: You gain proficiency in medium armor as well as your choice of shields or one martial weapon of your choice.

Skill Study: You become proficient in one skill, tool, or vehicle of your choice.
    Pretty straightforward, one switchable bonus. Maybe drop that extra hour through? Adds to awkwardness: the party would have to do nothing for one more hour because the bard wants to meditate a bit.
    Brawling Mastery probably won't see much use barring niche case of having to compete in brawling match. Maybe allow them to use dexterity for unarmed strikes as well? Would be more in line with monk.
    Magic Versatility is good. A bard can benefit a lot from switchable cantrip from any class list. Although I'm curious: can this bard take agonizing blast with Eldritch Adept if they happen to have eldritch blast during level up? Using any focus might come in handy as well.
    Martial Training is kind of an option that enforces itself if your bard chooses it. You either take it and use it for extended periods of time coz switching between light and medium armor and using or not using a shield depending on your decision at the start of any adventuring day is awkward. But, well, if you suddenly find a vorpal greataxe, and your fighter somehow doesn't want it...
    Skill Study is good. Adds significantly to skill monkey tendencies bards have in general, but you have to specify you can't fulfill requirements for your expertise class feature (and, to be extra safe, point out it doesn't count as proficiency when learning new features from any class, feats and whatnot).
    Spoiler: Backpedal
    Show

Also at 3rd level you gain the ability to change a person's perception of you quickly. When you fail a Charisma skill or ability check you can use your reaction to expend a use of your bardic inspiration, roll your bardic inspiration die, and add the roll to that check which can possibly change the result.
    A nice boost for social tier. Sadly, not applicable to counterspells as it's a reaction. Maybe make the cost free, just specify once per turn? Additionally, I'd fix the wording: "when you fail a Charisma check" includes both skill and raw ability checks automatically.
    Spoiler: Major Aptitude Focus
    Show
    At 6th level you gain the ability to expend your aptitude focus. Whenever you assume a aptitude focus you can choose one of the following options in addition to one option from your minor aptitude focus list. These benefits last until you assume a aptitude focus again.

Divine Strike: Your melee weapon attacks deal an additional 1d8 Radiant or Necrotic damage (your choice).

Extra Attack: When you take the attack action on your turn you can make a second attack as part of the same action.

Minor Magical Secrets: Choose one spell from any class's spell list, you know that spell and it is a bard spell for you but does not count against your number of bard spells known. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Skill Expertise: Choose one skill, tool, or vehicle you are proficient in, you gain expertise in that meaning you add double your proficiency to skill checks involving that.
    More switchable features, yay!
    Divine Strike is... okay-ish? Maybe steal cleric's Blessed Strikes from Tasha's? Add it to cantrip damage as well. And/or maybe change the damage die to be the same as your inspiration die.
    Extra Attack is good if you have shadow blade or any other means to boost your weapon attack damage. And can't use Divine Strike simultaneously until level 14.
    Minor Magical Secrets is the eponymous class feature on steroids. I find it hard to justify using any other option instead of it. Also, no spell level restriction? Can I take 6th levels of this bard, 9 levels of hexblade warlock and have swift quiver even if I have no means of casting 5th level spells as a bard?
    Skill Expertise is more skill monkey goodness. I'd specify you can choose the same skill/tool/vehicle you've chosen for your Minor Aptitude, but you lose the benefit if you opt out of the Minor Aptitude one.
    Spoiler: Multifocus
    Show
    At 14th level you gain the ability to adopt multiple focuses for your abilities. When you adopt a aptitude focus you can choose two options form your Minor Aptitude Focus list and two options from your Major Aptitude Focus list instead of one from each.
    Self-explanatory and a huge power boost. Now we can grab all the melee options and become a decent frontliner, probably better than Swords or Valor bard. Pity we had to wait for 13 levels to be able to do it. Still, I'd probably make spellcasting- and skill-related options my go-to ones and wouldn't even bother taking the others.

Overall I like the premise. The execution suffers from huge discrepancy in power and usefulness between options of the same tier. Also, personally I'd like to see more tight coupling between a subclass and class chassis it's built on, in this case, more ties to bardic inspiration (even if it's just reference to die size) and other bard class features.
    Might want to introduce the ability to switch aptitudes at the end of short rest somewhere down the line as well. Would increase versatility drastically.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2022-07-23 at 09:57 AM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Pixie in the Playground

Decided to throw my hat in the ring with the Diabolist Artificer! This subclass is loosely based around the Devil Forgemasters from Castlevania and basically serves as a reverse fiend-warlock, from which it borrows some of its spell list from. Feedback and advice appreciated!

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bandti View Post
    Decided to throw my hat in the ring with the Diabolist Artificer! This subclass is loosely based around the Devil Forgemasters from Castlevania and basically serves as a reverse fiend-warlock, from which it borrows some of its spell list from. Feedback and advice appreciated!
    Awesome, glad to see more people coming to join the contest. I will try to check and comment on any new entries tomorrow.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

More entries, more reviews

Spoiler: Arcane Tradition: Ultimate Magic
    Show

Unbound Arcana - I'm not really a huge fan of expanding the wizard spell list even larger than it already is, but in looking it seemed like there were only about 8 spells that the sorcerer has that the wizard doesn't. So, that shouldn't make a huge difference. Water walk is the only one I would worry about since it's a ritual and I'm really don't think Wizards need more rituals.

Spellcasting Versatility - I appreciate that this comes later than the sorcerer and gives less options. Is there a max amount of points you can have?

Speedy Recovery - Was charisma modifier on purpose? I think it is, but just making sure.

Spell Mastery - This one worries me from a power level perspective. Getting 2 more spells to cast at will at level 1 is pretty powerful. Now you can have Silvery Barbs, Shield, and something else. Empowering Magic Missile would be pretty awesome. Infinite subtle charm is pretty broken in certain campaigns as well. I honestly am not sure what the solution would be here, maybe only give 1 bonus spell instead of 2?

You did a really good job borrowing metamagic without taking the Sorcerer's main schtick. I appreciate that.

Spoiler: Diabolist
    Show

Diabolist Spells - Seems like a good collection and a good choice for the subclass

The Contractor - This needs something in there that allows you to recreate the device if it is lost/stolen/broken. Usually this is done over a short rest. The other thing I'm struggling with is that it appears you can do multiple summons at once. As in, at level 3 I can spend 2 spell slots to summon 2 sets of creatures at once. If that is the intent, I would look at removing it since it would be extremely powerful, if it isn't clarify it a little better.

Hellfire Proficiency - I would have to see how this played out, but giving a +4 to attack rolls seems like it might break bounded accuracy. Also, does this apply to melee attacks, ranged, attack, spell attacks, or all of the above?

Fiend’s Arsenal - Does this count as one of your infusions used or is it an extra one?

Highway to Hell - immediately after you sacrifice the demons to summons a higher level one, can you summon more through the contract feature?

Overall, I like the idea of the subclass. It is very different than what is currently out there and that's a great thing. There are some things in there that are confusing to how they are designed to function and interact, so the language needs to be tightened up a little bit.

Spoiler: Oath of Anarchy
    Show

Wow, those tenants are going to be hard to live with in a normal campaign, especially the third one.

Ohh a Rage Paladin, we didn't have one of those yet!

Oath Spells - A lot of damage spells here. They make sense for someone who wants to destroy buildings and such, but you might run into a situation where there are to many choices and some feel like duplications. Not really a bad thing though, but it does reduce some of the overall power of the subclass.

Righteous Fury - I thought at first you reduced the damage done on smites while "raging", but in reading it more carefully you didn't. So, I'm glad to see that. The lay on of hands confused me a little bit though, I think the phrasing could be tightened up to be more clear on the goal here. It appears that the goal is

"at the beginning of your turn, if you are not a maximum hit points, you automatically use your lay on hands on yourself without using an action, restoring as many missing hitpoints as available from lay on of hands."
    i.e. you automatically heal to max with whatever Lay on of Hands points available at the start of each turn. I'm not sure I really like this, it takes away some of the agency for the PC in choosing when they will be using their abilities.

Aura of Rage - Does the Paladin also get +2 to damage? I would think they should, but I would spell it out specifically.

Otherwise seems good to me. The only possible issues that I could see is that everything is based off of the Aura of Rage. You don't get any unique abilities when not raging, which makes the spellcasting in combat kind of moot overall.

Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

30. - Top - End - #660
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you for the feedback!

Spoiler: Feedback Resoponse
    Show
    The Contractor - This needs something in there that allows you to recreate the device if it is lost/stolen/broken. Usually this is done over a short rest. The other thing I'm struggling with is that it appears you can do multiple summons at once. As in, at level 3 I can spend 2 spell slots to summon 2 sets of creatures at once. If that is the intent, I would look at removing it since it would be extremely powerful, if it isn't clarify it a little better.
    There is only meant to be one group of creatures, thank you for pointing that out.
    Hellfire Proficiency - I would have to see how this played out, but giving a +4 to attack rolls seems like it might break bounded accuracy. Also, does this apply to melee attacks, ranged, attack, spell attacks, or all of the above?
    This was meant to be a way to buff the accuracy of creatures with lower attack bonuses. I might just replace that with spell attack bonus IN PLACE of their regular one, if lower.
    Fiend’s Arsenal - Does this count as one of your infusions used or is it an extra one?
    It is an extra one, I will clarify.

Highway to Hell - immediately after you sacrifice the demons to summons a higher level one, can you summon more through the contract feature?
    This is probably a part of clarifying the contractor feature, but I'd say you can't summon more fiends until all the fiends in the previous set are destroyed.

As a fun aside, fiend in google docs on my computer keeps on trying to autocorrect to friend...
    Last edited by bandti; 2022-07-25 at 09:07 AM.