New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Spoiler: Arcane Tradition: Ultimate Magic
    Show
    Unbound Arcana - I'm not really a huge fan of expanding the wizard spell list even larger than it already is, but in looking it seemed like there were only about 8 spells that the sorcerer has that the wizard doesn't. So, that shouldn't make a huge difference. Water walk is the only one I would worry about since it's a ritual and I'm really don't think Wizards need more rituals.
    Giving access to any other class list would be broken indeed. Water Walk is a niche enough spell, I wouldn't worry too much about wizard being able to cast it ritually.
    Spellcasting Versatility - I appreciate that this comes later than the sorcerer and gives less options. Is there a max amount of points you can have?
    Good point, should probably introduce a limit equal to wizard level.
    Speedy Recovery - Was charisma modifier on purpose? I think it is, but just making sure.
    Yes. I want to reward investing in charisma because it's in line with the fluff (and this wizard can get Cha skills through Unbound Arcana and/or background), but I don't want to make it mandatory and to introduce too much MADness as a result. A nice little bonus, level 10 wizard with 20 Charisma gets 10 sorcery points that equal the same 5 1st level slots as they would with normal Arcane Recovery, level 19 wizard with 20 Charisma gets 15 sorcery points that's in line with 2 5th level spell slots. And if you don't want to invest in Charisma, it's still a good action to use in combat when you don't have time to juggle spell slots and sorcery points around, even if returns are somewhat worse than from normal Arcane Recovery.
    Spell Mastery - This one worries me from a power level perspective. Getting 2 more spells to cast at will at level 1 is pretty powerful. Now you can have Silvery Barbs, Shield, and something else. Empowering Magic Missile would be pretty awesome. Infinite subtle charm is pretty broken in certain campaigns as well. I honestly am not sure what the solution would be here, maybe only give 1 bonus spell instead of 2?
    A good point! I should probably leave 1 1st-level spell at level 14 and shouldn't mess with 18th level feature.
    You did a really good job borrowing metamagic without taking the Sorcerer's main schtick. I appreciate that.
    Thank you very much for the review! Sincerely appreciated.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2022-07-25 at 10:08 AM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by bandti View Post
    Thank you for the feedback!

Spoiler: Feedback Resoponse
    Show

There is only meant to be one group of creatures, thank you for pointing that out.

This was meant to be a way to buff the accuracy of creatures with lower attack bonuses. I might just replace that with spell attack bonus IN PLACE of their regular one, if lower.

It is an extra one, I will clarify.

This is probably a part of clarifying the contractor feature, but I'd say you can't summon more fiends until all the fiends in the previous set are destroyed.
    Replacing it with the spell attack is a great idea. We already have precedence of using that for summoned creatures, so why not re-use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilerien View Post
    Spoiler: Arcane Tradition: Ultimate Magic
    Show
    Giving access to any other class list would be broken indeed. Water Walk is a niche enough spell, I wouldn't worry too much about wizard being able to cast it ritually.
    Good point, should probably introduce a limit equal to wizard level.
    Yes. I want to reward investing in charisma because it's in line with the fluff (and this wizard can get Cha skills through Unbound Arcana and/or background), but I don't want to make it mandatory and to introduce too much MADness as a result. A nice little bonus, level 10 wizard with 20 Charisma gets 10 sorcery points that equal the same 5 1st level slots as they would with normal Arcane Recovery, level 19 wizard with 20 Charisma gets 15 sorcery points that's in line with 2 5th level spell slots. And if you don't want to invest in Charisma, it's still a good action to use in combat when you don't have time to juggle spell slots and sorcery points around, even if returns are somewhat worse than from normal Arcane Recovery.
    A good point! I should probably leave 1 1st-level spell at level 14 and shouldn't mess with 18th level feature.
    Thank you very much for the review! Sincerely appreciated.

It's funny that you say water walk is a niche spell, because in my current campaign we end up using it all the time. I think we have used it as a ritual on the Tomelock at least 20 times. That being said, we may have used a different solution it we didn't have a tomelock with the ritual.

For the Charisma, I was thinking it was specifically for that reason, but I wanted to make sure. I completely agree with your reasoning and your argument for using it by the way.

I also like the 1 spell at level 14 and no level 2 spells. That's still powerful, really, really awesome powerful, but just feels better to me the way it is.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #663
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I also like the 1 spell at level 14 and no level 2 spells. That's still powerful, really, really awesome powerful, but just feels better to me the way it is.
    At 18th level, though, there's one 2nd level spell with metamagic slapped on for now.
    It's funny that you say water walk is a niche spell, because in my current campaign we end up using it all the time. I think we have used it as a ritual on the Tomelock at least 20 times. That being said, we may have used a different solution it we didn't have a tomelock with the ritual.
    An ongoing campaign I play in saw the use of water walk 2 or 3 times, I think. So, on second thought, not exactly niche, but still not universally useful like some other prominent ritual spells available to wizards. :)
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2022-07-25 at 02:07 PM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

4. - Top - End - #664
    Pixie in the Playground

Added more changes to the Diabolist, to hopefully clarify and tweak some features.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ilerien View Post
    A curious take on 3.5e Chameleon. My own one for the previous contest of the same theme was based on monk (as per 3.5e class lore, and monk chassis are kinda easy to build on), let's see what we can do with bard.
    Spoiler: Minor Aptitude Focus
    Show

Pretty straightforward, one switchable bonus. Maybe drop that extra hour through? Adds to awkwardness: the party would have to do nothing for one more hour because the bard wants to meditate a bit.
    Brawling Mastery probably won't see much use barring niche case of having to compete in brawling match. Maybe allow them to use dexterity for unarmed strikes as well? Would be more in line with monk.
    Magic Versatility is good. A bard can benefit a lot from switchable cantrip from any class list. Although I'm curious: can this bard take agonizing blast with Eldritch Adept if they happen to have eldritch blast during level up? Using any focus might come in handy as well.
    Martial Training is kind of an option that enforces itself if your bard chooses it. You either take it and use it for extended periods of time coz switching between light and medium armor and using or not using a shield depending on your decision at the start of any adventuring day is awkward. But, well, if you suddenly find a vorpal greataxe, and your fighter somehow doesn't want it...
    Skill Study is good. Adds significantly to skill monkey tendencies bards have in general, but you have to specify you can't fulfill requirements for your expertise class feature (and, to be extra safe, point out it doesn't count as proficiency when learning new features from any class, feats and whatnot).
    Spoiler: Backpedal
    Show

A nice boost for social tier. Sadly, not applicable to counterspells as it's a reaction. Maybe make the cost free, just specify once per turn? Additionally, I'd fix the wording: "when you fail a Charisma check" includes both skill and raw ability checks automatically.
    Spoiler: Major Aptitude Focus
    Show
    More switchable features, yay!
    Divine Strike is... okay-ish? Maybe steal cleric's Blessed Strikes from Tasha's? Add it to cantrip damage as well. And/or maybe change the damage die to be the same as your inspiration die.
    Extra Attack is good if you have shadow blade or any other means to boost your weapon attack damage. And can't use Divine Strike simultaneously until level 14.
    Minor Magical Secrets is the eponymous class feature on steroids. I find it hard to justify using any other option instead of it. Also, no spell level restriction? Can I take 6th levels of this bard, 9 levels of hexblade warlock and have swift quiver even if I have no means of casting 5th level spells as a bard?
    Skill Expertise is more skill monkey goodness. I'd specify you can choose the same skill/tool/vehicle you've chosen for your Minor Aptitude, but you lose the benefit if you opt out of the Minor Aptitude one.
    Spoiler: Multifocus
    Show
    Self-explanatory and a huge power boost. Now we can grab all the melee options and become a decent frontliner, probably better than Swords or Valor bard. Pity we had to wait for 13 levels to be able to do it. Still, I'd probably make spellcasting- and skill-related options my go-to ones and wouldn't even bother taking the others.

Overall I like the premise. The execution suffers from huge discrepancy in power and usefulness between options of the same tier. Also, personally I'd like to see more tight coupling between a subclass and class chassis it's built on, in this case, more ties to bardic inspiration (even if it's just reference to die size) and other bard class features.
    Might want to introduce the ability to switch aptitudes at the end of short rest somewhere down the line as well. Would increase versatility drastically.
    Thanks. I need to leave notes about qualifying for things in general to avoid stuff like taking heavily armored or getting expertise feats based on aptitude focus. I'll also reword backpedal to work with dispel checks.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

I’ll try to get in my thoughts on those that were posted recently in the next couple of days. Would you folks mind having a look at mine, newer opinions perhaps?

We’ve got a really good population on this one, not sure compared to the previous ones as this is my first contest, but still wonderful! I love the variety.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

7. - Top - End - #667
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I’ll try to get in my thoughts on those that were posted recently in the next couple of days. Would you folks mind having a look at mine, newer opinions perhaps?

We’ve got a really good population on this one, not sure compared to the previous ones as this is my first contest, but still wonderful! I love the variety.
    The Hourglass Rogue reminds me of the Phantom Rogue a little bit. Have you considered a more frequent replenishment mechanic, like Tokens of the Departed? Obviously, it'd be a less frequent thing due to the relative power of the dice, but still could be worth looking into? Something like, when you roll a 20 on a saving throw.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bandti View Post
    The Hourglass Rogue reminds me of the Phantom Rogue a little bit. Have you considered a more frequent replenishment mechanic, like Tokens of the Departed? Obviously, it'd be a less frequent thing due to the relative power of the dice, but still could be worth looking into? Something like, when you roll a 20 on a saving throw.
    Yes, I was looking at the Phantom Rogue and Bardic Inspiration as a sort of foundation for Perceptive Imposition.

Maybe (if not too strong) I could include something like the following: In addition, at 17th level, your experience with combat immediately grants you the power to alter the near future. When you roll initiative and there are no Hourglass dice left, you regain one use.

I wouldn't really know where else to put it, but most classes with that similar feature seem to get it at 20...

Or you've got me thinking something along the lines of: When you land a Sneak Attack on a creature, if that creature drops to 0 hit points, you gain one Hourglass die.

--------------------

Also, I was initially struggling with creating a different capstone (started out as weak-sauce time stop. I changed it to foresight which is awesome, but... maybe too awesome?). The theme is there, but I was considering something instead like: At 17th level, you can warp through space and time. When you land a Sneak Attack, you can teleport any direction to an unoccupied space within 30 feet.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post

This one is significantly larger than the past few
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #670
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I'm not sure how to link the post but my Barbarian: Path of the Blessed is posted in the contest!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Itsfrank View Post
    I'm not sure how to link the post but my Barbarian: Path of the Blessed is posted in the contest!
    It looks pretty nice, but I'm struggling to see why I would pick this over the standard Zealot Barbarian mechanically. I'd make the core smite ability a bit more tied to the Barbarian's rage, as that fits in with the official subclass a bit more. Perhaps a certain number of uses each rage? Or maybe your rage ends as soon as you smite?

Also, I wouldn't grant the 30 foot range for Safeguard, as Paladin's don't get it until 18th level.
    Last edited by bandti; 2022-07-26 at 11:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Itsfrank View Post
    Please excuse the horrible drawing of an arrow, I'm doing it on a touchpad. In your post look for the #10 in the top right side, that is the direct link to that particular post. Just right click on it and "Copy Link Address."
    Spoiler: Image of where to find the link
    Show

Let's take a look at that Barbarian :)

Spoiler: Barbarian: Path of the Blessed
    Show

Wrath of the Gods - This seems fine to me. The damage is fairly high at a lower level, but it's balanced by significantly reducing the uses.

Vigor - This one becomes problematic at level 20 when you have unlimited rages. You literally can heal your party infinitely. Typically in cases where you are giving HP when you do X it gives temporary hit points. I would consider this to use THP instead of regaining HP to avoid the abuse at level 20. Otherwise I think it is fine, the distance makes sense.

Goading Smite - So you mention a Wisdom saving throw. I don't see anything in the subclass that defines the DC of saving throws. I believe the standard for barbarian subclasses is DC equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus, but that is always defined in the subclass, so you should do it here as well.

Safeguard - You don't need to mention the conscious part since it only works while you are raging. Rage ends if you are knocked unconscious. I would also consider specifically mentioning in here that it doesn't stack with the Paladin's aura (just because that would likely break bounded accuracy to have both of them going at once. I like that this is the capstone as it's a pretty decent one and it requires that someone put a lot of levels into barbarian to get there. I may reduce the area to be smaller like it was mentioned above (20 ft or 15 feet).

A few things overall. I would add another non-combat ability at level 3. Personally I think it would be something that allows the barbarian to become more of a face (since Paladin's are known for having good charisma and are often the communicaters of the party). However, feel free to make it something else that is interesting to you (just because you are borrowing from Paladin doesn't mean that everything has to be based on the Paladin class).

Also as you edit the subclass and work on it more, it would be nice to add a little bit more fluff. By this I mean that you do a good job of describing what the subclass can do in it's abilities, but you don't mention the way. What is it about this barbarian that allows it to smite?

An example could be
    Vigor
    You gain the ability to harness you anger to bolster your allies around you. At 6th level when you enter a rage, you and every allied creature within 15 feet gains temporary hit points equal to your Barbarian level.

It doesn't have to be anything to fancy all the time, but it adds a little bit more flavor to the text and gives RP ideas to the person who is reading it. Hopefully this makes sense because I haven't gotten that much coffee in me yet this morning.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, hopefully it isn't coming off this way. I like the subclass, it does a good job of getting elements of the Paladin into the barbarian while still following the standard of the barbarian. Add some fluff in and touch up a few of the things mentioned above and I think you will have a solid first entry.

Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-07-28 at 06:33 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #673
    Dwarf in the Playground

eek Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

I feel very outmatched.
    You all did amazing!
    What do you think of mine?
    Note: I did not know barbarian was so popular, and I didn't know about the path of the rage master monk before I began, sorry nickl_2000
    P.S. How do you change your avatar?
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-07-28 at 10:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

On this note, there is a listing for all Classes represented throughout the life of these contests. This is strictly considering the base class used, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Spoiler: Class Representation
    Show

Rankings are based on number of submissions first, then number of contests.
    Up to date as of Contest XXVIII
    Class Total Number of Submissions Number of Contests Rank
    Artificer 9 9 13th
    Barbarian 35 21 2nd
    Bard 26 19 5th
    Cleric 17 14 10th
    Druid 15 15 12th
    Fighter 34 19 3rd
    Monk 37 25 1st
    Paladin 16 12 11th
    Ranger 19 11 8th
    Rogue 29 18 4th
    Sorcerer 19 15 9th
    Warlock 22 16 7th
    Wizard 24 17 6th
    Other/Homebrew 8 8 Unranked

15. - Top - End - #675
    Dwarf in the Playground

What does the contests collum (sorry for the misspell) represent?

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    It represents how many contests a class has appeared in (say three Monks entered in one it would only count as one in that list).

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel very outmatched.
    You all did amazing!
    What do you think of mine?
    Note: I did not know barbarian was so popular, and I didn't know about the path of the rage master monk before I began, sorry nickl_2000
    P.S. How do you change your avatar?
    No reason to apologize. You have a completely different take on the Monk, what is it borrowing and how it works. This happens all the time and is perfectly fine. Frankly if you look, we have 3 different takes on borrowing the rage mechanic, but all of them are different in flavor and function.

If you look above you posting I have an evaluation in the spoiler.

As for the avatar - Setting in the top right of the screen -> General Settings ->Scroll down to the bottom, you can choose an OOtS avatar or can put in an appropriate and legal link to another image there.

EDIT: ninjaed

Total Number of Submissions - Total times someone has submitted a subclass for that class
    Number of Contests - Times at least 1 subclass of that class has appeared in a contact. i.e. at least one Barbarian subclass has appeared in 21 different contests.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-07-28 at 11:16 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

18. - Top - End - #678
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you! What do you think of the oozes, I didn't see your review srry if Im missing something.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you! What do you think of the oozes, I didn't see your review srry if Im missing something.
    Sorry confused reviews. There are lots and lots of new entries this time around and I love it! I will try and get the review done in a few hours or tomorrow morning.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry confused reviews. There are lots and lots of new entries this time around and I love it! I will try and get the review done in a few hours or tomorrow morning.
    I'm going to try to in the next few days as well, though I'm not nearly as good at it as you and others that have been here a while.
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-07-28 at 12:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would hate to be presumptuous, but I'm going to review these subclasses. D to S on how powerful and D to S on flavor

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

Psi-Fury barbarian
    Power: A
    Flavor: C
    The Idea of a psionic Barbarian is amazing, I just wish the execution was better. Sure it's powerful, and the level 14 ability is broken, but what if instead you gave them some mind force ability that wasn't a charge but a burst of rage around them. Give them an avatar of force that surrounds them. Give them blasts of energy emanating from their mind. It seems to focused on the physical, and not the mental. A way to make them B tier flavor (at least) in my book would be to let them fly during unstoppable force. Is it powerful? Sure. Could you make a great character around this? Sure. Would I feel this is cooler if it did more than boost your physical attributes? Definitely.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm gonna skip weaponsmith because I can't wrap my head around it, It seems cool but not very strong. Until you're dual wielding d12 weapons
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-07-28 at 01:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Monk, Way of the Ooze
    Show

This is the traditional way of saying a monk subclass. Not that big of a deal, but using the standard style will make it more professional looking and feeling.

Oozes Defence - typo on defense :) This kind of thing is a personal pet peeve as a player. To get through levels 1 and 2 you really need Wisdom, but not that you get this ability at level 3 Wisdom isn't needed anymore. That being said, there is nothing straight out wrong with it. You are basing everything off of constitution instead of wisdom and I would consider Wisdom and Constitution equally important in stat distribution. The Blindsight aspect of it is interesting in that it grows and actually is very cool due to the reason.

Hungered Trance - Is there an action cost on this? The damage is pretty high, especially at low levels. Assuming you are using a spear or quarterstaff you are dealing an extra 2d4 (5) damage per turn. With flurry you deal and extra 3d4 (7.5) damage per turn. Then it grows even higher as the PC gets higher levels. There are a few ways to balance this
    1) make it require an action to use, then you end up losing out on 1 round of damage
    2) make it always have a Ki cost and potentially have a Ki cost of 3 ki.
    3) reduce the extra damage dealt to a flat +1 or +2 damage.

Any of these will work, just ask yourself what you think would be best. I

Absorbing dodge - What kind of attack does this interact with? Because you already have deflect missiles for ranged weapon attacks, although this it could be better to use this rather than deflecting missiles in certain situations.

Hungering Taste - This could be a gigantic pain from a bookkeeping aspect. You literally need to know every single creature you are fighting and it you have hurt them before. A melee reach of 25 is also pretty ridiculous, especially since hitting at range is one of the weaknesses of a monk in general. If you want to add that mechanic (and I am not entirely sure you need to), I would massively reduce the max range to be 10 feet at any particular time.

In general, rather than dealing 3dx damage with each attack at this point, I would look at a different ability is similar to oozes and borrow that instead at this level. Maybe the ability to squeeze through small spaces, maybe the ability to deal acid damage when grappling, maybe something else.

Engulf - In my minds eye, I cannot figure out how you could engulf something 15 feet away from you. For oozes it only works when they enter your space (or the other way around).

I would love to see the divide put into this somehow, although I will be perfectly honest I have absolutely no idea how to do it in a balanced way.

So, overall I find this interesting and kind of gross, which is cool! I think you need to look into doing some more unique things rather than just adding more damage. Even adding a little bit of damage to a damage roll on a monk has a pretty big impact when they are attacking 3 times a turn pretty much every single turn starting at level 5. Maybe acid splashes, maybe dividing, maybe the amorphous feature, maybe immune to charm while "raging" etc.

Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

25. - Top - End - #685
    Dwarf in the Playground

oh whoops reach and damage boost is supposed to be only unarmed strikes.
    Also the way I envision it is like a pudding, stretching out to it's full length and then shaping back.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Dwarf in the Playground

[SPOILER=Ooze monk] Monk of Oozes:
    Have you ever wandered the darkest of places, blind, but seeing everything? Have you wished you could devour everything in sight on a rampage of faceless fury? Did you use to raise gelatinous cubes, offering prayers to Jubilex, the faceless lord? Whatever the reason, you are empowered by the might of oozes.

Oozes Defence: Beginning at level 3, you may use constitution, instead of wisdom, for calculating your passive perception, Ki save DC, and unarmoured defence feature. In addition, you have blindsight out to a range in feet equal to your level times your constitution.

Hungered Trance: Starting at third level, you may enter a trance of hungered frenzy as a bonus action that lasts for 1 minute, while this is active, you gain the following benefits: Your unarmoured strikes deal acid damage; You may use your constitution score, instead of dexterity or strength, for the attack and damage rolls; Whenever you roll damage for an unarmed strike, you may roll a martial arts die and add it to the damage you deal; you have resistance to slashing damage; and your reach with unarmed strikes increases to 10 feet. After you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you do it again, unless you spend 2 ki points to do so again.

Absorbing dodge: Starting at 6th level, you may absorb an attack as a reaction, halving the damage you take. When you use this feature, you may spend 1 ki point to deal acid damage to the attacker equal to a roll of your martial arts die if they are within 10 feet of you. You may use this second ability for free once per trance. You may move through spaces as small as 1 inch without squeezing. While hungered trance is active, you can use an action to escape a grapple.

Split attacks: You gain immunity to acid damage. Your reach during hungered trance is increased to 15 feet. When you take the attack action on your turn and attack two separate creatures, you may increase your reach to 30 feet until the end of this turn, until the end of this turn, your speed is halved as your split selves must each attack and reform.

Engulf: Starting at 17th level, you may spend 5 ki points to engulf a creature within 15 feet of you for 1 minute. While engulfed, that creature is restrained, and you become incapacitated. On the start of the engulfed creature's turn, it takes 4d10 acid damage. The engulfed creature may use an action to attempt to escape, engaging in a strength check contested by your constitution check. If the creature wins, it is no longer engulfed and can move 20 feet away from you. If you win, the creature takes 2d10 acid damage and remains engulfed. Your reach during hungered rage increased to 20 feet.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've changed it a bit.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Dwarf in the Playground

What do you think? I would love feedback!

29. - Top - End - #689
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Psi-Fury barbarian
    Power: A
    Flavor: C
    The Idea of a psionic Barbarian is amazing, I just wish the execution was better. Sure it's powerful, and the level 14 ability is broken, but what if instead you gave them some mind force ability that wasn't a charge but a burst of rage around them. Give them an avatar of force that surrounds them. Give them blasts of energy emanating from their mind. It seems to focused on the physical, and not the mental. A way to make them B tier flavor (at least) in my book would be to let them fly during unstoppable force. Is it powerful? Sure. Could you make a great character around this? Sure. Would I feel this is cooler if it did more than boost your physical attributes? Definitely.
    Thanks for the review. Your suggestions helped me finally crack the issue with the Shared Fury ability that multiple people had noted didn't make sense with the theme. Now it allows you to share "a burst of rage" with your teammates by giving them bonuses to STR checks and saves, and later grants some minor damage reduction.

I somewhat disagree that the subclass only boosts physical attributes. A breakdown of its abilities is as follows:

• 3rd - damage, battlefield control, battlefield control, support
    • 6th - battlefield control, battlefield control
    • 10th - support
    • 14th - DAMAGE, battlefield control, support

It's mostly a control subclass that has several tools to use outside of Rage; rarities for Barbarians. Flight is a cool suggestion though. That could probably be squeezed into the 14th level feature somewhere.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

30. - Top - End - #690
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Let's take a look at that Barbarian :)

Spoiler: Barbarian: Path of the Blessed
    Show

Wrath of the Gods - This seems fine to me. The damage is fairly high at a lower level, but it's balanced by significantly reducing the uses.

Vigor - This one becomes problematic at level 20 when you have unlimited rages. You literally can heal your party infinitely. Typically in cases where you are giving HP when you do X it gives temporary hit points. I would consider this to use THP instead of regaining HP to avoid the abuse at level 20. Otherwise I think it is fine, the distance makes sense.

Goading Smite - So you mention a Wisdom saving throw. I don't see anything in the subclass that defines the DC of saving throws. I believe the standard for barbarian subclasses is DC equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus, but that is always defined in the subclass, so you should do it here as well.

Safeguard - You don't need to mention the conscious part since it only works while you are raging. Rage ends if you are knocked unconscious. I would also consider specifically mentioning in here that it doesn't stack with the Paladin's aura (just because that would likely break bounded accuracy to have both of them going at once. I like that this is the capstone as it's a pretty decent one and it requires that someone put a lot of levels into barbarian to get there. I may reduce the area to be smaller like it was mentioned above (20 ft or 15 feet).

A few things overall. I would add another non-combat ability at level 3. Personally I think it would be something that allows the barbarian to become more of a face (since Paladin's are known for having good charisma and are often the communicaters of the party). However, feel free to make it something else that is interesting to you (just because you are borrowing from Paladin doesn't mean that everything has to be based on the Paladin class).

Also as you edit the subclass and work on it more, it would be nice to add a little bit more fluff. By this I mean that you do a good job of describing what the subclass can do in it's abilities, but you don't mention the way. What is it about this barbarian that allows it to smite?

An example could be
    Vigor
    You gain the ability to harness you anger to bolster your allies around you. At 6th level when you enter a rage, you and every allied creature within 15 feet gains temporary hit points equal to your Barbarian level.

It doesn't have to be anything to fancy all the time, but it adds a little bit more flavor to the text and gives RP ideas to the person who is reading it. Hopefully this makes sense because I haven't gotten that much coffee in me yet this morning.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, hopefully it isn't coming off this way. I like the subclass, it does a good job of getting elements of the Paladin into the barbarian while still following the standard of the barbarian. Add some fluff in and touch up a few of the things mentioned above and I think you will have a solid first entry.

No worry. I really appreciate it. This helps a ton. I'm here to learn after all! And I made some changes to the balance and the fluff! https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...8&postcount=10