New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

I was keeping tally myself as each vote was cast on a sheet of paper and double checked it again at the end. I was proud to receive a few votes myself and also found a couple minor differences, none that really changes the outcome.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I was keeping tally myself as each vote was cast on a sheet of paper and double checked it again at the end. I was proud to receive a few votes myself and also found a couple minor differences, none that really changes the outcome.
    Mind DMing me your results?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #723
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Well this is my take on a not edgy Blood Hunter. You're a cook with a cute immortal truffle pig. Rate or Hate Mate? https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...86&postcount=3
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Well this is my take on a not edgy Blood Hunter. You're a cook with a cute immortal truffle pig. Rate or Hate Mate? https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...86&postcount=3
    Mechanically it seems fine, except Blood Hunters are already pretty Bonus Action reliant and you've got the pig only attacking on a BA. I wonder if making the pig attack as a reaction, or it can attack with you as part of your Attack action would make sense?

Thematically, I would say its over-reliant on the pig. I would change maybe the level 7 ability to be more about getting buffs from eating various monsters. Like if you serve a beast during your Exotic Cuisine you can give people advantage on Strength or Dex checks, if you serve an abberation they get proficiency on Wisdom saves etc.

And just as an idea, drawing from Norse myth, can you eat your companion on a long rest and gain some other ability? Loses you your main feature if you're attacked in the night but thats moderately rare.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Harvest Domain is in "alpha", ie feature complete.

I liked the visual of the guy using a pitchfork as a melee weapon, but heavy armor seems really bourgeois for what should be a cleric for the working man. So despite "melee clerics" usually getting heavy armor proficiency, I opted to instead give them reach with their special farm-weapons and wisdom-based attack rolls with same. Puts them in a kind of in-between category of cleric.

I don't love the spell list. The first few levels feel pretty good but then levels 4 and 5 are really just pretty blah (Though I like tree stride here: there's pleasing synergy with the channel divinity's ability to make fruit/nut trees grow quickly from seeds. I enjoy the idea that he could plant an apple tree every 500 feet and just tree stride back home at the end of the adventure) Anyway, I may wind up writing some new spells which would fit here.

I like the potential for synergy with their ability to add to existing sources of thp. For example, a Harvest Cleric could "feed" the temp HP of a Spores Druid to keep his special feature active for longer.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Harvest Domain is in "alpha", ie feature complete.

I liked the visual of the guy using a pitchfork as a melee weapon, but heavy armor seems really bourgeois for what should be a cleric for the working man. So despite "melee clerics" usually getting heavy armor proficiency, I opted to instead give them reach with their special farm-weapons and wisdom-based attack rolls with same. Puts them in a kind of in-between category of cleric.

I don't love the spell list. The first few levels feel pretty good but then levels 4 and 5 are really just pretty blah (Though I like tree stride here: there's pleasing synergy with the channel divinity's ability to make fruit/nut trees grow quickly from seeds. I enjoy the idea that he could plant an apple tree every 500 feet and just tree stride back home at the end of the adventure) Anyway, I may wind up writing some new spells which would fit here.

I like the potential for synergy with their ability to add to existing sources of thp. For example, a Harvest Cleric could "feed" the temp HP of a Spores Druid to keep his special feature active for longer.
    May I suggest for spells, a little out of left field, Blight? You're Harvest after all, which leads to the death of plants as much as feeding humans?

And perhaps Awaken for 5th level. Imagine a farm with no workers, just animals and plants working to produce the harvest under the kindly gaze of the cleric.
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    May I suggest for spells, a little out of left field, Blight? You're Harvest after all, which leads to the death of plants as much as feeding humans?

And perhaps Awaken for 5th level. Imagine a farm with no workers, just animals and plants working to produce the harvest under the kindly gaze of the cleric.
    Hrm, I like awaken, you make a good case for it. Blight doesn't make sense to me though.

EDIT: Awaken added, Wrath of Nature removed.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-08-18 at 07:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

Hrm, I like awaken, you make a good case for it. Blight doesn't make sense to me though.

EDIT: Awaken added, Wrath of Nature removed.
    mmm, you should probably design a new spell, something like a mass aoe herbicide?

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    mmm, you should probably design a new spell, something like a mass aoe herbicide?
    The thematics of a spell that harms "weeds" or "vermin" or other other unwanted creatures while bolstering desirable creatures would be great.

One thing that feels important to emphasize is that agriculture is not nature, and a harvest god is a civilization god, creating order from chaos. Crops in neat rows, animals docile and obedient: organisms not useful to this system are changed to fit or eradicated. Spells that reflect this difference in core philosophy are great.

I'll work on it.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing that feels important to emphasize is that agriculture is not nature, and a harvest god is a civilization god, creating order from chaos. Crops in neat rows, animals docile and obedient: organisms not useful to this system are changed to fit or eradicated. Spells that reflect this difference in core philosophy are great.
    I would vote for adding this directly to the subclass description itself. Very well said and does a good job to cast aside ambivalence right from the start.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Added two new 4th level spells, Herbicide and Repel Vermin.

Repel Vermin is based on a spell that appeared in earlier editions, modified to fit into 5e's casting system, given a much broader definition of "vermin" (it was a specific creature type in 3/3.5) and made to last much longer at higher levels.

Herbicide is a new spell that's an AoE poison spell made to kill plants of types that you specify, so you could use it to clear weeds from a farmer's field without hurting his crops. Think of it like an AoE Blight, but targeted at specific species of plant.

Notably, both are rituals, so a harvest cleric can pretty casually use them in their narrative applications.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-08-18 at 04:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

Threw in another Cleric domain, the cooking domain. I tried to focus on the act of cooking and feeding rather than general food to differentiate from existing subclasses (I was going to do famine domain, but was definitely beaten to that concept pretty hard). Take a look, let me know what you think!
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Threw in another Cleric domain, the cooking domain. I tried to focus on the act of cooking and feeding rather than general food to differentiate from existing subclasses (I was going to do famine domain, but was definitely beaten to that concept pretty hard). Take a look, let me know what you think!
    Seems solid. Nourishing Sustenance is a bit confusing, might need an editing pass.

Charming Cuisine shouldn't let the victim know they were charmed. Its a really niche ability that will rarely come into play. Make it stronger.
    I also wonder if perhaps letting the caster frighten as an alternative option to charm could open up its useability.

I'd love to see specific meals giving specific benefits too. A curry dish that makes them resistance to fire or whatever. Lot of extra work i know.

Sorry for stealing Famine
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to see specific meals giving specific benefits too. A curry dish that makes them resistance to fire or whatever. Lot of extra work i know.

A note on that first bit, nickl_2000 actually has a preexisting chef build, a winner actually, that does just that. Several listed meals that provide different benefits.

I could see Famine and Harvest being on opposite ends, one being more about growth and buffs, the other being a little closer to necromancy. Wither and Bloom, if you will.
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-08-19 at 09:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Orc in the Playground

Uff, I will try ro write down some ideas today, I was thinking of a subclass that can brew spells into potions and cook monsters to create meals that temporary gives to the eater some monster's characteristic (action, traits or bonus to ability score), maybe with the risk of an intoxication.

A lot of things, potentially unbalanced, and I don't even now for which class design this, but I have to start somewhere! ^^

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems solid. Nourishing Sustenance is a bit confusing, might need an editing pass.

Charming Cuisine shouldn't let the victim know they were charmed. Its a really niche ability that will rarely come into play. Make it stronger.
    I also wonder if perhaps letting the caster frighten as an alternative option to charm could open up its useability.

Yup, I actually wanted something simpler this time around since I've done the fighter chef subclass, and don't apologize I will likely do it outside of the contest because I like the idea for an evil Cleric.

Thanks for the ideas though, I will take a look at updates this weekend to incorporate those to make it more effective. On general this felt like more of a RP centric subclass rather than a combat focused one.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

17. - Top - End - #737
    Dwarf in the Playground

What do you ladies/gentlemen think?

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    What do you ladies/gentlemen think?
    Give us a little time ☺️

I don't know about others, but I general am busy on weekends with family and don't do reviews. I will get to it soon though, I promise.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

19. - Top - End - #739

Path of the Cannibal is up!
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Still working on formatting and, erm, flavor... but the Bardic College of Culinary Arts is now in draft form!

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

Ok guys, i posted the link for the draft version of mine "Witch Doctor". The class is totally broken right now, and I would really appreciate your help for a feasibility study, more than a review, since I'm not sure the mechanic can be actually made playable.
    For now I'm developing it as a druid subclass, but I'm also considering make it as a bard's one, or even a barbarian's one.
    Also, I'm considering to get rid of the 6th level feature, that's probably too much if paired with the 2nd level one, but to convert the 2nd level feature in something sharable with the other players...

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Review time!

Spoiler: Blood Hunter: Order of the Gourmand
    Show

First things first, I know very very little about the Blood Hunter. I've never listened to Critical Roll (role? whatever), and never had a Blood Hunter at our table. So, I'm looking for broken things more than anything else.

Exotic Cuisine - The temp hit points seem like they are potentially a lot, especially at early levels. Other ways to get THP at short rest are Celestial Warlock and Inspiring Leader. I would imagine it would end up less than Inspiring Leader, but it should considering that this is a class feature and the other is an actual feat.

Cooking Companion - 14+PB on a companion seems a little high to me for the AC. I would feel more comfortable with 13+PB, but it probably doesn't matter all that much. Senses: Sent do you mean Scent here? Not trying to be pedantic, just checking for clarities sake.

Otherwise it seems okay to me. There isn't anything that looks like it is broken to me. Sorry, not the best review, but hopefully it is better than nothing.

Spoiler: Famine Patron
    Show

First of all, I'm giving it a negative review for stealing my idea. In case you didn't know, I'm just kidding!

Additional Spells - Not sure I'm a huge fan of Protection from Poison. Dragon's Breath poison/acid only would decent. Melf's acid arrow. Wither and Bloom would be a good one as well.

Maw of Hunger - I'm pretty sure this isn't done yet :)

Spreading Emptiness - From a mechanical standpoint this seems good to me. I might consider increasing the damage over time. Cha mod damage is pretty great at level 1, but rapidly loses it's luster for damage after a few level. The disadvantage will always be awesome though, especially with save or suck spells.

Cravings and Urges - What is the action cost on this? I think there needs to be more to this in general, look at it again and clean it up some. Then I would be happy to take a look again.

Everempty - Seems fine

Everlasting Hunger - Action Cost, range? What happens after 1 minute does it disappear/attack?

Spoiler: Harvest Domain
    Show

Spells - Seems good to me.

Swords from Ploughshares - The damage seems fine, the weapon seems fine (you may need to check prices to see if there are any in the PHB and if not create some). I am not a huge fan of being able to use Wisdom for attack and damage since it's level 1. It makes this subclass as good of a dip as the hexblade and I don't think 5e needs more of that. That being said, official D&D already introduced it, so who am I to say no.

Fat and Happy - I like this a lot, especially when you get spells like prayer of healing, mass cure wounds, mass healing word. I love the fact that it isn't useless for someone who does need it.

Channel Divinity: Cornucopia - This seems fine to me. Some usefulness in there, but nothing broken.

Nutrition Boost - Is this any food, or food created from the Cornucopia feature? As in, can I cook normal foods and have this apply?

Harvest's Bounty - If I eat two meals you have produced, can I boost 2 stats? Is this any meal or a meal from the Cornucopia? The idea is good on this, but I think it needs to be limited in how often you can boost that way because as is currently you could boost the str/dex of an entire army.

Herbicide - The damage here is pretty high. Yes it only impacts plant creatures, but it does the same average damage as blight with a longer range and is AoE. Sure Blight does max damage, but it also only impacts 1 creature.

This is solid, really really solid. It's well written has some cool, effective, and fitting mechanics. A tiny bit of clean up and you have a great entry and a great subclass!

Spoiler: College of Culinary Arts
    Show

3rd Level Bonus Proficiencies - Seems fine other than specifically setting the DC to see if something is poisonous. Let the DM be the DM. They can decide the appropriate DC depending on how rare and unique the item is.

3rd Level Inspiration Dice Use: Inspired Recipes - Bardic Inspiration can only be held for 10 minutes. Longer than a short or long rest. So, don't make the hold it, but rather make it so you can use one during a rest. Also, THP standard is that they last until the next long rest so you probably don't need to mention the length in the ability.

Yes, Chef! - Do they use the bardic inspiration? Because if not that would allow a rogue to go absolutely nuts with extra damage.

14th Level Situational Utility - actually seems a little weak. Heroes Feast is an awesome spell, but a super expensive one. I would look at possibly doing more at level 14.

Spoiler: Path of the Cannibal
    Show

Well that is a dark start

Iron Scales - Seems fine, would likely be a nice little boost at level 3

Savage Hunger - Do you add the rage damage only when raging or all the time? Because you are making a special attack that uses strength. In theory it should already add rage damage when you are raging.

Macabre Artisan - For the sake of avoiding stacking with Magic Weapon and other spells that boost weapon, I would consider something made to be magical.

Bottomless Gullet - This definitely needs to be limited to 1 use a day. That could potentially be a gigantic amount of healing and could clear a lot of debuffs (plus you can rage WAY more often with this).

Master Macabre Artisan - Again, I would call it magical. Note, I would also consider having something where you can't sell it or you can only have X amount made at a time, or the bonus is only if you use the weapon. That way you prevent abuse in a low magic campaign.

Spoiler: Fighter: Drinker of life
    Show

Vampiric Drain - When/how do the death points refill?
    Necrotic strike - What triggers this? Just at the start of your turn? Frankly you could make it a lot easier to say that when you deal damage with a weapon attack you may choose to do Necrotic or normal.
    Improved necrotic strike - This could be simplified as well.
    Hunger - Should be limited to 1 time per turn to keep it sane
    Lust for blood - And this is a huge reason why Hunger should be limited.
    Vampiric resilience - Charisma mod x level is gigantic. At level 20 you could very well be looking at 100 THP. At level 5 you are looking at 15. It would be much more appropriate to be like the Fiend Warlock. Also phrasing it like that would prevent the bag of rats trick.

"Dark One’s Blessing
    Starting at 1st level, when you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level (minimum of 1)."

The hostile part of that is vital. No matter what it requires an agreement between player and DM to not abuse it, but if there is official wording may as well follow it.

Death's Hand - I'm confused on this. It sounds similar to Drain life already so I don't really see the point of it. Personally, I would ditch this ability completely and look into the other aspects of a vampire.

You've hit the theme plenty hard with eating, so not everything needs to be about it. If it were me, I would lean harder into other vampire like abilities. Maybe some charm like ability at 15 or 18? Maybe the ability to Wildshape into a bat at some point? Maybe summoning the swarm of bats/rats?

Just differing the abilities will turn this class into something more dynamic and more fun to play overall. The other thing I notice is that absolutely everything here is about combat. Giving some abilities in the social or exploration tiers is a good thing, especially since it's a fighter subclass.

Phew, caught up for now

EDIT: Nevermind, not caught up. I'm taking a look at the Witchdoctor right not and will add it to this post

Spoiler: Witchdoctor
    Show

Bonus Cantrip - Makes perfect sense

Spells - Seems fine in general, immolation is cooking it Cajun style?
    You should mentioned where Galder's Speedy Courier comes from. I had to look it up.

Harvesting - Do the creatures have to be dead to do this? Seems like it should be, but thought I would bring it up since you didn't.

Psychosis - I'm not exactly sure how failing to harvest harms your sanity, but it could be that I am not there yet. Either way though, I don't actually see anything dealing with Psychosis and levels and what happens, etc. But it looks like you are working on this currently.

Cooking - Definitely need to remove lair action and legendary actions from here. Also spellcasting as that could be super, super broken. How would you work with something like multi-attack when you can do a 3 Slam attacks, do you also get the Slam attack? It might be a good idea to also put something in there saying that the player will need to work with the DM on what abilities can be used to keep the expectations. There are certain things that could be horribly broken in the right situation eg. Rust Monsters, Intellect Devourers, Spellcasting, Basalisk, etc.

All that being said, at the right table with the right players and DM this could be so incredibly fun and effective!

Reading Offal - I don't see any reason that this needs to be only once. It's a ritual for other classes, let it be a ritual for this Druid.

Take 2 on being done, let's hope someone didn't submit another in the time that I had this open!
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-08-22 at 02:40 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #743

Review time!

Spoiler: Path of the Cannibal
    Show

Well that is a dark start

Iron Scales - Seems fine, would likely be a nice little boost at level 3

Savage Hunger - Do you add the rage damage only when raging or all the time? Because you are making a special attack that uses strength. In theory it should already add rage damage when you are raging.

Macabre Artisan - For the sake of avoiding stacking with Magic Weapon and other spells that boost weapon, I would consider something made to be magical.

Bottomless Gullet - This definitely needs to be limited to 1 use a day. That could potentially be a gigantic amount of healing and could clear a lot of debuffs (plus you can rage WAY more often with this).

Master Macabre Artisan - Again, I would call it magical. Note, I would also consider having something where you can't sell it or you can only have X amount made at a time, or the bonus is only if you use the weapon. That way you prevent abuse in a low magic campaign.

Thanks for the feedback, I will be implementing most of your suggestions (actually in a lot of cases what you said was what I intended and I need to put some more words in to make sure that gets across).

Edit: changes made.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2022-08-22 at 01:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Orc in the Playground

Thankyou for your help, in blue my answers!

Spoiler: Witchdoctor
    Show

Bonus Cantrip - Makes perfect sense ;D

Spells - Seems fine in general, immolation is cooking it Cajun style? yep, it's the natural evolution of create bonfire
    You should mentioned where Galder's Speedy Courier comes from. I had to look it up. Right. I choose it so you can make food deliveries with it...

Harvesting - Do the creatures have to be dead to do this? Seems like it should be, but thought I would bring it up since you didn't. Good point... I have to think about it.

Psychosis - I'm not exactly sure how failing to harvest harms your sanity, but it could be that I am not there yet. Either way though, I don't actually see anything dealing with Psychosis and levels and what happens, etc. But it looks like you are working on this currently.

The idea is that you should have remorse to make acts of cannibalism (against humanoids or giants) or anyways against creatures with a certain level of consciousness. But I'm still working on it, still not sure...

Cooking - Definitely need to remove lair action and legendary actions from here.Lair actions for sure, for the Legendary actions probably yes but I'm still trying to see if I can limit them.

Also spellcasting as that could be super, super broken. I was thinking to let you use that by spending your normal spellslots.

How would you work with something like multi-attack when you can do a 3 Slam attacks, do you also get the Slam attack? The idea is yes, if an action refers to another action, you gain both.

It might be a good idea to also put something in there saying that the player will need to work with the DM on what abilities can be used to keep the expectations. Yes, a text box for that is in schedule ^^

There are certain things that could be horribly broken in the right situation eg. Rust Monsters, Intellect Devourers, Spellcasting, Basalisk, etc. I'm actually losing my mind trying to figure out a general rule to identify and limit such cases... Ideas are welcome!

All that being said, at the right table with the right players and DM this could be so incredibly fun and effective!

Reading Offal - I don't see any reason that this needs to be only once. It's a ritual for other classes, let it be a ritual for this Druid. makes perfectly sense.

What do you think about the ability to Brew Concoctions? Is it redundant? Maybe I should make the meals sharable and get rid of it?

Thankyou again!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-08-22 at 03:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Swords from Ploughshares - The damage seems fine, the weapon seems fine (you may need to check prices to see if there are any in the PHB and if not create some). I am not a huge fan of being able to use Wisdom for attack and damage since it's level 1. It makes this subclass as good of a dip as the hexblade and I don't think 5e needs more of that. That being said, official D&D already introduced it, so who am I to say no.
    The Hexblade has a very broad weapon selection, which is part of what makes it so attractive for optimization. The shovels/rakes here don't apply for things like polearm master or heavy weapon master, so there's a limit to how much you can optimize this. I think of it like a sort of "greater shillelagh"... and of course shillelagh is also already a thing, available with a one-level dip.

As for weight/costs and such, the PHB has a shovel on the Adventuring Gear table for 2gp/5lbs. I'll make a note making that the official price/weight of a relevant farm tool if needed. EDIT: Change made. I also noted that you get such a tool for free when you take the subclass.

Is this [Nutrition Boost] any food, or food created from the Cornucopia feature? As in, can I cook normal foods and have this apply?
    Any food you create, yes, which would also apply to food created with spells like Goodberry and Create Food and Water, as well as the snacks you might create if you have the Chef feat. It should also apply if you grow food using Cornucopia and an ally turns into a snack via the Chef feat.

Harvest's Bounty - If I eat two meals you have produced, can I boost 2 stats? Is this any meal or a meal from the Cornucopia? The idea is good on this, but I think it needs to be limited in how often you can boost that way because as is currently you could boost the str/dex of an entire army.
    It's definitely intended to be limited to one attribute at a time, I'll check to see if there's a way to clarify that. I don't object to this buffing a large fighting force though: a stat up on an NPC is really just +1 to hit and +1 to damage, and this is a level 17 ability. Being able to buff 100+ people with Cornucopia, several castings of Create Food and Water, and a handful of Heroes Feasts for the leadership and fellow PCs feels appropriate to that level of play. EDIT: Wording tweaked a little. The triggering event is more explicitly the end of the long rest (not eating the food), and a new clause specifically prohibits stacking the feature.

Herbicide - The damage here is pretty high. Yes it only impacts plant creatures, but it does the same average damage as blight with a longer range and is AoE. Sure Blight does max damage, but it also only impacts 1 creature.
    Good points. I'm reducing it's damage by 1 dice, which puts it on par with an upcast fireball. EDIT: Change made

26. - Top - End - #746
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Review time!

Spoiler: College of Culinary Arts
    Show

3rd Level Bonus Proficiencies - Seems fine other than specifically setting the DC to see if something is poisonous. Let the DM be the DM. They can decide the appropriate DC depending on how rare and unique the item is.

3rd Level Inspiration Dice Use: Inspired Recipes - Bardic Inspiration can only be held for 10 minutes. Longer than a short or long rest. So, don't make the hold it, but rather make it so you can use one during a rest. Also, THP standard is that they last until the next long rest so you probably don't need to mention the length in the ability.

Yes, Chef! - Do they use the bardic inspiration? Because if not that would allow a rogue to go absolutely nuts with extra damage.

14th Level Situational Utility - actually seems a little weak. Heroes Feast is an awesome spell, but a super expensive one. I would look at possibly doing more at level 14.

Thanks for the review - and the reminder that Bard Inspiration is only 10 minutes - that changes how I'll think about the subclass' dice powers.

With the THP, I did want to mention a duration, though, since otherwise THP is lost when you "finish a long rest".

Edited to add that - that said - I don't think Temp HP from inspiration is going to make it into my final draft.
    Last edited by Notafish; 2022-08-22 at 06:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm actually losing my mind trying to figure out a general rule to identify and limit such cases... Ideas are welcome!

What do you think about the ability to Brew Concoctions? Is it redundant? Maybe I should make the meals sharable and get rid of it?
    The Wild-Magic-liker in me approves of the idea of risking Psychosis/Intoxication as a component of gaining new powers through Cooking, but I think Intoxication needs to come into play at a much lower level- possibly as low as CR 1, or CR Proficiency/2. The more prudent thing to do might be to just have some CR limits like with wild shape, and to give the DM some veto power over whether certain monstrosities/aberrations are edible. And I'd just take Multiattack off the table.

Between brewing concoctions and making the cooking power sharable, I like the sharing better.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Orc in the Playground

Thankyou for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by not_a_fish View Post
    The Wild-Magic-liker in me approves of the idea of risking Psychosis/Intoxication as a component of gaining new powers through Cooking, but I think Intoxication needs to come into play at a much lower level- possibly as low as CR 1, or CR Proficiency/2. The more prudent thing to do might be to just have some CR limits like with wild shape, and to give the DM some veto power over whether certain monstrosities/aberrations are edible. And I'd just take Multiattack off the table.
    The problem to add an effective limitation to CR is that the ingredients are "hunted" not "chosen" as the druid or the ranger do with their wildshape/companion. So if a player at 5th level can only prepare meals from ingredients from CR 1 creatures, but the DM put on the battleground only creatures with CR 5 or higher, the player cannot prepare meals until he reaches higher levels. That's why I'm searching other ways to limit that.

If I can't find a general rule I would surely add a guideline to give the DM some veto power.

Regards multiattack I actually like the idea of something that can potentially emulate the number of attacks of a fighter, but I know that it would be very tempting for multiclassing, or if the meals become sharable. I would probably limit it to two attacks, or to the number of attacks that the player can normally makes during an Attack action, or specify that the levels needed to unlock more attacks and to prevent Intoxications are druid only, and not the overall level like a cantrip.

Quote Originally Posted by not_a_fish View Post
    Between brewing concoctions and making the cooking power sharable, I like the sharing better.
    Yes, the brewing concoctions feature derives from a feature of another class I made times ago for another contest, I took that because I feel it in theme with food and foodies, but overall seems too much. I will make the meals sharable from 6th level. This should also make the class less unbalanced (since it gives to the other player more power and options ^^)

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually losing my mind trying to figure out a general rule to identify and limit such cases... Ideas are welcome!
    This is one of the significant issues with an ability like this. You are giving free rein to imaginative players, which is really cool, but also so incredibly hard to control. You could limit it to certain types of monster possible, for example if you don't allow it from Monstrosities or Aberrations you will prevent a lot of the abuse. This would still leave you with beasts, celestials, dragons, fey, fiend, giants, humanoids, and plants. You could also not allow any "named" creature. As in a default Goblin is perfectly fine, but not Grenl the Goblin from Sunless Citadel, that will prevent some abuse and odd abilities.

I would also ban all regeneration abilities. Something like the Vegepygmy would be really broken on a PC.

What if you could only gain physical attributes? As in you gain arms to attack, you gain the ability to glide like a Hadozee, you gain the Dragon's Breath weapon, you gain wings and could fly. Is that something that would work? I don't know, I'm doing the best I can here.

For Brewing Concoctions it seems pretty meh. Given the requirements that it still costs a spell slot and still requires concentration, the ability has some great utility uses but isn't going to come up all that often. It's not broken at all though, so it doesn't hurt for it to exist. Honestly, it may be easier to get rid of it and add something simpler but more impactful.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-08-23 at 08:18 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

30. - Top - End - #750
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I voted for the foods one but I'm still not very good at this. I still enjoy reading and voting so I'll keep doing that but might submit a thing from time to time.