New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Itsfrank View Post
    I voted for the foods one but I'm still not very good at this. I still enjoy reading and voting so I'll keep doing that but might submit a thing from time to time.
    It's okay, take your time.

Here is my process
    1) Brainstorm different concepts related to the topics. I keep a google document of all the ideas I've had in the past to reference for future stuff and things I might be excited in.
    for example:
    Tavern Contest
    -Bard who uses alcohol as a focus
    -Artificer who turns alcohol into potions
    -Rogue Circus performer with alcohol fire breath
    -Bar brawl fighter
    -Tavern performer bard
    -Cleric alcohol domain
    -Cleric wine domain
    -Gamer character
    -Dice master sorcerer

2) Choose one and decide where it would fit best or be the most fun. Often times in this particular case, I will change up classes from the original idea or modify it further.

3) Create another google doc for the one that sounds the most fun and make a listing of abilities that make the most sense with the theme, I give myself a couple of days and leave it open on my phone to add ideas in. If I can't come up with 6-7 good base concepts, I will actually start again with a different idea. I have 15-20 started ideas that I have never been able to make work but want to eventually (Druid: Circle of Life based on the Lion King movie and Rafaki, Fey Bloodline Sorcerer, etc).

4) If I get 6-7 good ideas I start to work out abilities. First thing I do is go into my analysis document I wrote for me and copy and paste the levels from it. I see what ideas ability concepts fit where in the level progression.

5) Flesh out the actual abilities to see what they will really do and work on perceived balance.

6) Write the fluff around it, I've had fluff running through my mind so it is usually easy to fill in at this point.

7) Relook at the abilities a bunch more times to make sure I think they are balanced.

8) Post it to the contest to find out what I was horribly wrong about being balanced and cross my fingers feeling anxiety that I screwed up, wrote junk, and embarrassed myself with typos and nonsensical sentences.

As a side note on #8, I've never felt anyone actually judge me on how well something has been written or typos or nonsense. I feel we have a great and nice group, but I still feel that anxiety every time (so you aren't alone if you feel it too).

As a side note on #4, the easier the ideas come to me about concepts the better my subclass tends to be (don't know if this applies to others, but it definitely does for me). If I can come up with concepts quickly and rapidly I usually have more interest and passion in the concept and I do a better job on it.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-08-25 at 01:27 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Itsfrank View Post
    I voted for the foods one but I'm still not very good at this. I still enjoy reading and voting so I'll keep doing that but might submit a thing from time to time.
    This contest have a hard theme, I'm quite sure that we will see few entries than the last one. Don't worry if you can't find the right inspiration.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sengmeng, I read through your cannibal subclass sure I was going to hate it, but it's great and I kind of love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Path of the Cannibal

A lizardfolk-only barbarian subclass.

Most of the subclass features enhance or otherwise interact with lizardfolk racial features. Those features are spoilered here for convenience:
    Spoiler: Lizardfolk features
    Show
    Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increase by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
    Age. Lizardfolk reach maturity around age 14 and rarely live longer than 60 years.
    Size. Lizardfolk are a little bulkier and taller than humans, and their colorful frills make them appear even larger. Your size is Medium.
    Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
    Bite. Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
    Cunning Artisan. As part of a short rest, you can harvest bone and hide from a slain beast, construct, dragon, monstrosity, or plant creature of size Small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or 1d4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan's tools, such as leatherworker's tools.
    Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for up to 15 minutes at a time.
    Hunter's Lore. You gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Animal Handling, Nature, Perception, Stealth, and Survival.
    Natural Armor. You have tough, scaly skin. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
    Hungry Jaws. In battle, you can throw yourself into a vicious feeding frenzy. As a bonus action, you can make a special attack with your bite. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage, and you gain temporary hit points (minimum of 1) equal to your Constitution modifier, and you can't use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.
    Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

Barbarians seem to be members of more "advanced" races who returned to their savage roots. Lizardfolk never left those roots, but the fury of the barbarian does not seem to lend itself well to their cold-blooded, reptilian mindset. Some lizardfolk warriors, however, embrace the feral hunger of their kind in a way that even normal barbarians would find terrifying. They have taken the Path of the Cannibal.
    Should more races get race-specific subclasses? I would have said "no" before. You have shaken my faith, sir.

Iron Scales
    Beginning at third level when you select this subclass, your dietary habits make you even tougher. You can calculate your armor class according to your natural armor racial feature, your unarmored defense feature, or as 13 + your constitution modifier from this feature.

Savage Hunger
    Also at third level, when you use your Hungry Jaws racial ability, you add your barbarian level to the number of temporary hitpoints you gain. You add your rage damage to bite attacks when raging.
    Cool features. I'll note that there's no reason a barbarian's rage damage wouldn't apply to attacks made with a natural weapon normally, so it shouldn't be necessary to say so.

Macabre Artisan
    Begining at sixth level, you add humanoid to the list of creatures you can use to fashion items from your cunning artisan racial feature. Additionally, if you use a weapon fashioned from parts of a creature on another creature of that same species, it gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls, unless that creature is immune to fear. Likewise, a shield grants an additional +1 AC against attack rolls by creatures of the type it was crafted from, unless that creature is immune to fear. You can also gather a week's rations from a medium sized humanoid, or three day's rations from a small humanoid. The bonuses from this feature do not work for creatures other than you and are not magical but do not stack with magical bonuses.
    This is really freaking cool. I would be inclined to (a) say that the weapons should count as magical against creatures of the same type and (b) increase the damage from a simple +1 to something more significant while you are raging (probably +1d6, maybe scaling with level) and (c) shouldn't be prohibited from stacking with other magical bonuses if relevant (though it won't usually be). This subclass lacks a damage bonus feature AND the weapons you can make with Cunning Artisan are low-damage weapons, 1d4 or 1d6 weapons at best. I know you allow the creation of (slightly) better weapons later, but still, the class could use a damage boost sooner.

I would probably move this to third level, while maybe moving Savage Hunger to 6th. I feel like this is maybe the coolest part of the subclass and lacking it for three levels would hurt.

Flesh Seeker
    Also at sixth level, you have advantage on survival checks to track a creature if you've eaten members of its species before, including using your Hungry Jaws feature on them.
    Pretty niche, but it's an extra feature at a level that already has one, so that's fine. Maybe expand it to perception checks and investigation checks as well. "A halfling wassss here... touched thisss knife with hisssss greasssy fat fingerssss... thissss iss hissss blood here..." *tastes the blood* "... yesss... fat little halfling... in good health... young... was fearful when blood wassss shed... mmm..." *tastes the blood some more*

Bottomless Gullet
    Beginning at tenth level, if you make a meal out of a humanoid of medium size or larger, or two humanoids of small size, you can gain the benefits of a long rest on a short rest. This consumes all the available flesh, so you cannot also harvest rations from them, but you can still fashion a shield or weapons from them. Once you have used this feature, you must take an actual long rest before you can use it again
    Cooooool.

Feeding Frenzy
    Beginning at 14th level, whenever you use your action to attack during a rage, you may use your bite attack as a bonus action, and also as part of the bonus action to enter a rage. The first time you use Hungry Jaws during a rage, the use is not consumed.
    Looks fine. Maybe rephrase to "When you enter your rage you recover your use of your Hungry Jaws racial feature."

Master Macabre Artisan
    Also at 14th level, you add spears, pikes, greatclubs, and 1d4 arrows to the items you can craft from corpses, and if available, you can incorporate two corpses into the creation of an item so that it can gain the bonus from Macabre Artisan against two different species.
    IMO Spears, Greatclubs and Pikes aren't strong enough to justify the late arrival of this feature. Really you could go back and add this to the basic feature at sixth level (or third) and not move the needle much.

In total: cool as heck.
    Mechanically: High AC and good thp generation make this guy reasonably durable early on, but since it lacks real damage features, "aggro management" features, or any kind of teamwork abilities, it needs some buff someplace. Bonus damage to the crafted weapons with the feature migrating to 3rd level would give you what you need, I think. Alternatively you could play with fear effects for some crowd control.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-08-25 at 08:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    IMO Spears, Greatclubs and Pikes aren't strong enough to justify the late arrival of this feature. Really you could go back and add this to the basic feature at sixth level (or third) and not move the needle much.
    I totally agree with this.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

You guys are so nice and this is really good advice. I hope other people see it and feel inspired like me

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    As a side note on #4, the easier the ideas come to me about concepts the better my subclass tends to be (don't know if this applies to others, but it definitely does for me). If I can come up with concepts quickly and rapidly I usually have more interest and passion in the concept and I do a better job on it.
    Absolutely, on that last note. Just looking through all the other themes of past contests, I've had some really cool ideas come to mind. This was not one of them!

I keep a document on my desktop with tons of ability names/effects (my wife is a great help on clever names) and I keep a sheet of paper with me throughout the day to jot down new ideas as I'm working or whatever other responsibilities.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think The College of Culinary Arts is ready, after taking nickl_2000's suggestions into consideration.

I'm still very interested in feedback on the style and mechanics.

Mechanically, I think it's more or less in line with the PHB subclasses, but depending on whether Sneak Attacks or smites are allowed on the reaction attack, the 6th level feature might still be too much.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Absolutely, on that last note. Just looking through all the other themes of past contests, I've had some really cool ideas come to mind. This was not one of them!
    Aw, I like it!

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by not_a_fish View Post
    Aw, I like it!
    I doesn’t help that I just used up some of my food ideas with the Waiter subclass in my Cleaner for the base class contest.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Orc in the Playground

Ok guys, I formatted the Witch Doctor version for the forum, you can find it here.

I'm actually quite happy with the result, expecially considering how weird is the main mechanic. It will surely needs some other tweaks, and I hope to receive some further feedback from you.

At the moment, the thing that convinces me least is the duration of the effect. The fact that the player can "cook and eat" only at the end of a rest, and that the effect only lasts until it finishes a long rest, may force it to have to do too much resource planning.

These are the changes I've made lately:

• Added more flavor, changed some wording (E.G. butchering instead of harvesting, prey instead of creature) to give more a voodoo/savage feeling.
    • Homebrewed the two orignal bonus spells (Icebox and Starvation).
    • The witch doctor can now cook and eat up to 2 meals, but must spend a use of wildshape each. It can't regain it as long as the effect of the meal lasts.
    • Added more rules to follow when the witch doctor gains the traits of the eaten creatures.
    • Removed Psychosis (was redundant).
    • Tied Intoxication to exhaustion.
    • Added a TextBox with some instruction for the DM to avoid balancing issues.
    • Replaced the Brewing Concoctions feature with Sharing Gluttony. Now the witch doctor can share its food and give a trait of a cooked creature to a friend.
    • Added Tribal Feast at 14th, a standard strong upgrade.
    • Added also an original feats. I am not very used in homebrewing feats, it could be unbalanced, maybe I should remove the +1 to Constitution.

I'll read the other entries in the next few days!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-08-27 at 02:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

If there was ever a contest that needed lots of flavor, it's this one!
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    If there was ever a contest that needed lots of flavor, it's this one!
    That's an internet win for you, sir. Clever.

My current work in progress is a Monk, inspired by the phrase, "knuckle sandwich."

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So I took another run at the Famine Patron. Added some special invocations cleaned up language, actually gave it a 1st level feature
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

14. - Top - End - #764
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Edginess intensifies as I present you another take on a subclass with vampiric powers.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2022-08-28 at 12:11 PM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

15. - Top - End - #765
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prediction: You are going to get twice the votes I do, even after I revise it(coming in the next week)
    P.S. You mind if I make a d10 table and borrow from your quirks? I am going to add that and so if with your permission I could do something better, that would be great.
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-08-28 at 05:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    P.S. You mind if I make a d10 table and borrow from your quirks? I am going to add that and so if with your permission I could do something better, that would be great.
    That's not really how that ability works... But okay, I'll allow it. ©
    Sure, I don't mind.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Orc in the Playground

Guys, I need your advice. I want to add to the witch doctor a way to create a meal you have already created in the past even if you don't have the right ingredient. I was thinking to make it as a custom spell instead of a feature, you can see a draft below:

Spoiler: Alchemical Cuisine
    Show
    Alchemical Cuisine

5th level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: touch (a magical meal)
    Components: V S M (exotic spices worth 50 golden pieces x the CR of the desired prey, which the spell consumes)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Classes: Circle of the Witch Doctor

While cooking a magical meal, you transmute it into another meal you have cooked in the past. You must use the exotic spices and an ingredient butchered from a prey with a CR not lower than that of the original creature of your desired meal.

The problem is that usually a spell never refers to a specific class feature, but I feel that I don't have enough room to add an additional feature. So, I have these options:
    • I discard this spell/feature
    • I put it in place of the custom bonus spell "starvation" (5th level, you can see it below). But I personally like it even if it can be used for shenanigans like "sickening radiance"
    • I put it in place of the bonus spell 'speedy courier" (4th level). I like the idea of a spell to make food deliveries but it's a bit forced and it's from a very niche manual.
    • I convert "starvation" in a 4th level spell, put it in place of "speedy courier", and add "alchemical cuisine" as a 5th level one.
    • I leave the bonus spell like they are now, and convert "alchemical cuisine" in a 10th level feature, replacing "exquisite cuisine" (you can see it below).
    • I merge "alchemical cuisine" and "exquisite cuisine" in a single feature, but still I feel that I don't have enough room for all.

What do you think?

Spoiler: Starvation
    Show
    Starvation

5th level necromancy

Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 120 feet
    Components: V S M (a piece of spoiled food)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Classes: Circle of the Witch Doctor

You inflict wracking hunger pangs on each creature within a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range.
    The creatures must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 5d10 necrotic damage and suffer one level of exhaustion. A creature that makes a successful saving throw takes half damage, and does not suffer other effects. A creature that does not need to feed is immune to the effects of this spell.

After a failed save, the target suffers a rabid hunger for 1 minute. During that time, it suffers 1d10 necrotic damage at the end of each of its turns, and gains a bite attack that inflicts 1 + its Strength modifier piercing damage, if it doesn't already have one. The effect lasts until the target successfully hits a creature with its bite attack, uses its action to eat something, falls unconscious, or the spell ends.

Spoiler: Exquisite Cuisine
    Show
    Exquisite Cuisine

Starting from 10th level, when you cast create food and water, the food you create is of excellent quality and you can produce any kind of non-magical drink. You have advantage on all Charisma checks directed at any friendly creature that consumes a full meal made by you this way. The effect lasts for an hour or as long the creature is friendly.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gonna have to sit this one out. Food themed subclasses aren't my groove. I'm experimenting with some music themed monk abilities as well as a new mechanical idea I had for monks. Hopefully a music theme will come around sometime and I can share my idea.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

Ok guys, I made the final fixes to the witch doctor:
    • Replaced the custom spell Starvation with Vitriolic Sphere. I just like the idea of splashing the enemies with a huge ball of gastric acid to pre-digest them.
    • Added the Alchemical Cooking custom spell. It's a bit odd since usually a spell should never refer to a specific class feature, but I can live with it.

I also read the other entries, I jotted down some opinions straight away.

Spoiler: Blood Hunter: Order of the Gourmand
    Show
    Blood Hunter: Order of the Gourmand

I admit, I have no idea how a Blood Hunter works.

Exotic Cuisine: Simple and clear. Maybe tieing the hit points bonus to a double roll may have a very wide range of results, i would probably change it in a hemocraft die + your proficiency bonus.

Cooking Companion: Why not call this one "Sous Chef"? Solid, but seems a bit out of theme.

Blood Forager: Ok, so you drink blood like a vampire?

High on the Hog: Again, solid but I can't feel the theme of the contest.

Improved Forager: How do you manage the "bag of rats" problem? You should probably add some limitations like "while in combat" (it's not always obvious), and maybe a size and/or CR restriction of the target creature.

Prized Spirit: Nice.

Spoiler: Famine Patron
    Show
    Famine Patron

Additional Spells: Seems good, you should consider Sickening Radiance too.

Maw of Hunger: The bite attack deals 1d6 piercing damage + no Ability modifier? Maybe you don't need to add a limited number of uses, monks can make an additional unarmed strike with a bonus action, so you probably could do the same. Also a warlock relies mainly on Eldritch Blast, and if I understand well you can use it as a bonus action only if you take an Attack action, right?

Spreading Emptiness: Nice, maybe I would prefer it tied with Maw of Hunger, but I like the idea.

Cravings and Urges: it's not very formally written, but the mechanic is solid. Maybe it's too strong, I would let it recover the uses after a long rest. What if the target can't reach the object?

Everempty: Ok

Everlasting Hunger: The attack must be a weapon attack, or can be a bite attack or an eldritch blast too?

Gnawing Hunger: Contagion already asks the target to make Constitution saving throws, at least until the effect becomes "chronic". Overall it seems to me a bit over complicated. Does a successful save resets the damage bonus or does it continue to increase every round (6-10 seconds) for an entire week?

Shared Hunger: Ok

Devour Life: the effect stacks at each hit? How long does it last?

Spoiler: Harvest Domain
    Show
    Harvest Domain

Additional Spells: Good

Swords from Ploughshares: Good. What’s a Ploughshare? The fact that you can use wisdom is strong but not broken. Also, I like the Shillelagh mechanic.

Fat and Happy: Very strong but nice. Can you do that spending Hit Dice at the end of a short rest?

Channel Divinity: Cornucopia: Nice and thematically good.

Nutrition Boost: It works only for Cornucopia or with Goodberry and Create Food and Water too?

Divine Strike: Classic.

Harvest's Bounty: Good.

Herbicide and Repel Vermin: Themed, maybe they have effects a bit too specific.

Spoiler: Bardic College of Culinary Arts
    Show
    Bardic College of Culinary Arts

Bonus Proficiencies: What entretain do?

Inspired Recipes: Nice, but maybe a bit weak.

Yes, Chef!: A bit thematically forced but good. Maybe you should specify "you may shoot a quick order to another FRIENDLY creature"?

A Worthy Feast: Good. I don't like too much the fact that it's tied to your Cook's Utensil proficiency, but the rest is nice.

Spoiler: Cleric: Cooking Domain
    Show
    Cleric: Cooking Domain

Additional Spells: Good.

Cooking Magic: Good.

Divine Snack: Nice and strong.

Channel Divinity: Charming Cuisine: Nice, i added a similar one to mine subclass as well ^^

Channel Divinity: Frightening Fare: Mmm, the idea is that you drug the creatures with some sort of hypnotic shrooms? I don't know, it feels a bit weird.

Channel Divinity: Hearty Meal: Nice, maybe I would add a limitation to the number of creatures and change the bonus to your cleric level + your wisdom modifier, similar to the Fat and Happy feature of the Damon_Tor's Harvest Domain.

Summon Hearth: Nice and thematically good.

Potent Spellcasting: Classic.

Nourishing Sustenance: Good.

Spoiler: Path of the Cannibal
    Show
    Path of the Cannibal

I don't have too much to say, I like it. I would have written it very similarly if I had the same idea.

Iron Scales: Good. Can you still use the shield?

Spoiler: Fighter: Drinker of life
    Show
    Fighter: Drinker of life

Vampiric Drain: First of all, how do you recover death points? The cost of Drain life should avoid the "bag of rats" problem, but I haven't run the math. It's strange to see a Necrotic Strike and an Improved Necrotic Strike option in the same feature. For the sake of simplicity, you should probably remove the first and keep the latter.

Vampiric Hunger: Mmm, the fighter already can make a lot of attacks, are you sure it has enough room for more of them?

Vampiric resilience: Very strong. probably you should limit it to 1 time per long rest, or at least 1 time per short rest. What if it will reset your use of Second Wind instead?

Death's Hand: Again, other attacks to the fighter seem to me a bit too much.

Eternal resilience: I don't know, it seems the same of the other features but with another formulation. When you say "kill a creature" you mean reducing it to 0 hit points? A maximum of 75 temporary hit points seems insane.

Spoiler: Sorcerous Origin: Sanguine Sorcery
    Show
    Sorcerous Origin: Sanguine Sorcery

Quirks: Very good.

Blood Ward: Nice, maybe i would have formulated it not as temporary hit points but similar to Arcane Ward.

Blood Magic: Good.

Nightstalker's Sight: Good.

Font of Lifeforce: Very nice.

Blood Memory: Nice. I don't know if formulating it similar to Speak with Dead would be better, but the mechanic is good.

Blood Drain: A bit overcomplicated but good.

Durable Casting: Nice, I too have experimented with features that allowed you to keep concentration on two spells at once, but I never managed to understand how broken it could be. Either way, it seems well balanced to me.

Mist Form: Nice, but I would probably nerf it a bit, either adding a saving throw to the damage, changing the damage to "if a creature ends its turn in a space occupied by you…", or reducing the healing to half the damage dealt.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    Swords from Ploughshares: Good. What’s a Ploughshare? The fact that you can use wisdom is strong but not broken. Also, I like the Shillelagh mechanic.
    A ploughshare (also spelled "plowshare") is the main cutting blade of a plow. The name of the ability is a play on the biblical verse Isiah 2:4 "they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." It's about a prophesied beginning of an age of peace when men would reforge their weapons into farming tools. This ability is the inverse, taking up farming tools to use as weapons.

Fat and Happy: Very strong but nice. Can you do that spending Hit Dice at the end of a short rest?
    Yes. With a harvest cleric along it pays to have a short rest right at the start of the day: breakfast, if you will.

Nutrition Boost: It works only for Cornucopia or with Goodberry and Create Food and Water too?
    Any food you create, yes.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-09-09 at 03:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Thanks for the feedback! I thought I'd try doing some reviews as well.

Spoiler: Blood Hunter: Order of the Gourmand
    Show
    Blood Hunter: Order of the Gourmand
    I also don't know what the Blood Hunter Class is, but it looks like a gothic-horror gish class with a trade-hp-for-damage mechanic.

I like the vibe this class is going for - focusing on the hunting rather than the monster-movie horror.

The 3rd-level features seem rather powerful, especially the companion. The food theme also seems to take a leave of absence between levels 3 and 18.

I'd roll one of these guys up as an NPC villain hunting The Most Dangerous Game, but I might shy away from doing one as a PC.

Spoiler: Famine Patron
    Show
    Famine Patron
    This looks pretty solid conceptually and mechanically.

Maw of Hunger is difficult to read, though. The Maw damage and the bonus action Bite Attack damage are the same, yes? Also, what is the Maw? Is it an extra mouth on Warlock's body? An extradimensional summon?

Would I play a Faminelock? Probably not. Can I imagine someone playing one and having fun with it? Yes.

Spoiler: Harvest Domain
    Show
    Harvest Domain
    This is a class I would play. Likely as a halfling, out for revenge on whoever ruined his pumpkin harvest.

The Channel Divinity bit about producing eggs or milk might need some re-wording - I think I know what you are going for, but it could be read as causing a beast to lay 1gp eggs in perpetuity until it dies from exhaustion. Which echoes some Celtic agricultural folklore, I think, but might play poorly in the game. I also wonder if the Channel Divinity powers might be able to be used tactically - the class already has a lot of ways to keep people fed.

This is not a class for power-gaming, but I think it has enough that it is viable, and it is very thematic.

Spoiler: Cooking Domain
    Show
    Cooking Domain
    I love the goodberry shade.
    I like that you made this a cantrip-focused cleric, and most of the spells fit the domestic theme of the class well. I'm not sold on Commune with Nature.
    Some of the Channel Divinity uses seem a little difficult to use, especially the debuffs.
    Does Nourishing Sustenance come online at Level 17?

Spoiler: Path of the Cannibal
    Show
    Path of the Cannibal
    This is interesting. I like it. If in a strategic campaign, I'd likely be trying to make as large a collection of artisan javelins as I could. I don't think it would be OP, but it would change my approach to the game quite a bit.

Spoiler: Fighter: Drinker of life
    Show
    Fighter: Drinker of life

I think others have mentioned this, but the recovery method for Death Points (as in, long rest, short rest, etc) needs to be specified.
    I think that many of the abilities look fun to use. The level 10 ability needs a lot of balancing, though, while I wish the Level 15 ability (and, depending on how DP regenerates, the level 18 ability) came online sooner.

Spoiler: Druid: Witch Doctor
    Show
    Druid: Witch Doctor
    The core mechanic of this class is wild, but fun. I can imagine it being an effort to teach and DM for, but could be rewarding. It feels balanced-ish at this point, and I like how the new spells support the class features.

It does feel like it is pulling features from both the core druid subclasses - other Circle Druids might feel like they are getting short-shrift compared to this class, despite the usefulness of their spell recovery.

Show
    Feels VERY vampiric. My main critique is that it seems pretty front-loaded. The theme plays well with multiclassing, but it would also be very tempting to dip in just for mechanical reasons. The Blood Drain feature is also kind of confusingly worded - I think the specificity of needing to cast a spell as part of the attack is getting in the way of communicating the feature's benefits.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Channel Divinity bit about producing eggs or milk might need some re-wording - I think I know what you are going for, but it could be read as causing a beast to lay 1gp eggs in perpetuity until it dies from exhaustion. Which echoes some Celtic agricultural folklore, I think, but might play poorly in the game. I also wonder if the Channel Divinity powers might be able to be used tactically - the class already has a lot of ways to keep people fed.
    I tweaked the wording some, hopefully eliminating the infinite eggs interpretation.

As for tactical uses, you can hide rather effectively in a 10/10 patch of fully grown wheat or corn. A large-sized fruit tree can provide cover, or be used a way to climb a wall, and can be used in conjunction with tree stride or awaken. A 10/10 patch of blackberry brambles is very challenging to get through. You could effectively imprison an incapacitated creature by planting something like grape vines all around its prone body and letting them grow around their wrists and ankles like manacles. All of this is mitigated by the 1 minute growth time of course, but the ability is more versatile than it might appear at first glance.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Orc in the Playground

Druid: Witch Doctor
    The core mechanic of this class is wild, but fun. I can imagine it being an effort to teach and DM for, but could be rewarding. It feels balanced-ish at this point, and I like how the new spells support the class features.

It does feel like it is pulling features from both the core druid subclasses - other Circle Druids might feel like they are getting short-shrift compared to this class, despite the usefulness of their spell recovery.
    Thank you! The fact that it at least looks balanced is a very good result. ^^

The idea of creating some sort of blue mage from Final Fantasy has always teased and scared me, but in the end I am satisfied with the result.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Show

Quirks: Very good.

Blood Ward: Nice, maybe i would have formulated it not as temporary hit points but similar to Arcane Ward.

Blood Magic: Good.

Nightstalker's Sight: Good.

Font of Lifeforce: Very nice.

Blood Memory: Nice. I don't know if formulating it similar to Speak with Dead would be better, but the mechanic is good.

Blood Drain: A bit overcomplicated but good.

Durable Casting: Nice, I too have experimented with features that allowed you to keep concentration on two spells at once, but I never managed to understand how broken it could be. Either way, it seems well balanced to me.

Mist Form: Nice, but I would probably nerf it a bit, either adding a saving throw to the damage, changing the damage to "if a creature ends its turn in a space occupied by you…", or reducing the healing to half the damage dealt.
    My sincere gratitude for the review. :)
    Regarding Mist Form, I'll probably change healing to half the damage dealt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feels VERY vampiric. My main critique is that it seems pretty front-loaded. The theme plays well with multiclassing, but it would also be very tempting to dip in just for mechanical reasons. The Blood Drain feature is also kind of confusingly worded - I think the specificity of needing to cast a spell as part of the attack is getting in the way of communicating the feature's benefits.
    Thank you for the review! :)
    Front-loadedness is exactly the reason why I had to do it inelegantly and put a restriction by both proficiency bonus and sorcerer level on a number of HD you can sacrifice simultaneously to activate Blood Ward. One HD worth of temporary HP isn't that great, certainly nothing to go out of your way and dip into this sorcerer. Another solution is to restrict it to sorcerer hit dice only, but I think it would make tracking it too clumsy. Darkvision is a good bonus, but still not dip-worthy.
    I agree that the wording of Blood Drain is clumsy. I'll try to fix it, but it probably won't do much, as the eligibility criteria for an attack take a lot of space. I wanted booming blade (weapon attack directly as a result of the spell), shadow blade (attack with a weapon conjured by a spell), vampiric touch (spell attack as a result of ongoing spell effect) and inflict wounds (just straight spell attack) all to be eligible.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ilerien View Post
    I agree that the wording of Blood Drain is clumsy. I'll try to fix it, but it probably won't do much, as the eligibility criteria for an attack take a lot of space. I wanted booming blade (weapon attack directly as a result of the spell), shadow blade (attack with a weapon conjured by a spell), vampiric touch (spell attack as a result of ongoing spell effect) and inflict wounds (just straight spell attack) all to be eligible.
    Why you cannot just say "Each time you hit a creature with a melee spell or weapon attack roll or as part of a sorcerer spell..."?

26. - Top - End - #776
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Why you cannot just say "Each time you hit a creature with a melee spell or weapon attack roll or as part of a sorcerer spell..."?
    I think this wording doesn't make it clear enough you can smack someone with a shadow blade to trigger healing. Anyway, I tried to make it less cumbersome. :)

Edit: didn't notice the "or". It would mean this sorcerer can just stab someone with a dagger. Or, in case of paladin/sorcerer, slash someone with a halberd, smite on top of it and then heal a bit.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2022-09-13 at 04:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Dwarf in the Playground

What do you think?

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ilerien View Post
    I think this wording doesn't make it clear enough you can smack someone with a shadow blade to trigger healing. Anyway, I tried to make it less cumbersome. :)

Edit: didn't notice the "or". It would mean this sorcerer can just stab someone with a dagger. Or, in case of paladin/sorcerer, slash someone with a halberd, smite on top of it and then heal a bit.
    Nono, the "or" of "... attack roll or as part... " was a typo, the correct phrase is "Each time you hit a creature with a melee spell attack roll or melee weapon attack roll as part of a sorcerer spell..." ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    What do you think?
    About what Psyche? O_o

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

What gate? What subclass? He redesigned what? A subclass? What subclass?

30. - Top - End - #780
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Nono, the "or" of "... attack roll or as part... " was a typo, the correct phrase is "Each time you hit a creature with a melee spell attack roll or melee weapon attack roll as part of a sorcerer spell..." ^^
    The original point stands then. ;)