New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    After the voting thread can we take a break for christmas?
    I need to take a break and cannot post voting thread. Animorte?
    Sorry guys
    No problem. I’ll pull up the voting thread soon and we can jump into the next contest in the new year!

Behold, the Voting Thread is open!
    Last edited by animorte; 2022-12-15 at 08:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

I extended the voting thread by one week, holidays and such.

New deadline for getting in all votes is now January 5th!
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey everybody! Just a reminder to get in your votes! Only a few days left! Voting Thread
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-01-02 at 02:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations to our winner of I Read This in a Book Once with 11 points... Ilerien presenting the Martial Archetype: Faerie Knight

The next Subclass Contest is Hold My Ale!
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-01-06 at 01:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Congratulations Ilerien!

6. - Top - End - #906
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crim the Cold View Post
    Congratulations Ilerien!
    Why, thank you kindly!

And I missed the deadline for voting. Real life strikes again.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-01-07 at 04:05 AM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

7. - Top - End - #907

Imp

That faerie knight looks so cool. You don't mind if try it out some?

The next theme looks real fun too. I might try one again.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been really busy recently, thank you animorte. I will host the nest one, srry guys.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    I've been really busy recently, thank you animorte. I will host the nest one, srry guys.
    It's all good. Hope things are going alright.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

I've added a draft of the Bootlegger. Not entirely satisfied with the higher level abilities, so we'll see if I can think of something better.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Itsfrank View Post
    That faerie knight looks so cool. You don't mind if try it out some?

The next theme looks real fun too. I might try one again.
    Of course I don't mind, and I would be delighted to hear the tale of your playtest experience!
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

12. - Top - End - #912
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Bouncer fighter archetype is here to throw the party out of the tavern.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2023-01-13 at 08:42 AM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Orc in the Playground

I really don't know what to develop for this edition, I like none of the ideas that came to my mind:

1. Someone that brews potions would sound too much like an alchemist. Also I have already developed similar ideas.
    2. Playing with the "homebrew" term, perhaps with metanarrative applications, a class that can create its own rules while playing. Fascinating, but probably off topic, and terribly difficult to develop.
    3. A reinterpretation of the drunken master, maybe applied to another class. I find it a bit trivial and redundant.
    4. A tavern keeper or a bartender, but... There's a reason these people usually stand behind the counter.
    5. A barbarian who summons and throws barrels at enemies' heads... But it would be little more than a reskin.

Of course everyone is free to take inspiration from these bad ideas, I'm totally uninspired. XD

14. - Top - End - #914
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm also feeling indecisive - the existing alchemist and drunken boxer subclasses do decrease the unexplored archetypes available, if not the design space.

Some thoughts that have crossed my mind while considering have been:
    Despite the existence of the Tavern Brawler feat, the rules I'm aware of don't offer much in the way of suggestions for how to make a tavern brawl a fun encounter.
    The implied context of "hold my ale" is "watch me do something stupid and/or cool."
    Meeting in a tavern is a classic way to start a campaign; what are some subclasses that might naturally hang out in that setting?
    Other than alchemy, what might spellcasters use alcohol for? Is the Green Fairy a viable warlock Patron? Would a Fermentation druid by much different from a Spores druid?
    I've already done a culinary arts bard; doing the same for bartending might be a retread

Leaning towards the Green Fairy patron.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    [*]A barbarian who summons and throws barrels at enemies' heads... But it would be little more than a reskin.
    Have we already done Monkeys and Apes as a theme?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by not_a_fish View Post
    Meeting in a tavern is a classic way to start a campaign; what are some subclasses that might naturally hang out in that setting?
    What about a subclass that lets you play the tavern itself? Perfect for oneshots.

Have we already done Monkeys and Apes as a theme?
    I'm afraid no, as well as none "italian plumber" theme...
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2023-01-14 at 03:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

sorry guys, ill be out till February 1st.
    Last edited by Psyche; 2023-01-15 at 08:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think my Green Fairy Warlock Patron is ready.
    Last edited by Notafish; 2023-01-28 at 07:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Pixie in the Playground

Decided to throw my hat into the ring with the Brewmaster. A much more rowdy alchemist.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The College of the Public Bard is up. Public as in Pub. Join your friends in a rowdy drinking song. I think the basic feature of buffing Bard songs with more singers probably needs work, but I'm happy with Arm in Arm and Swapping Tales.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe I have completed my Paladin: Oath of the Chaperone

I'll still be looking over it for possible adjustments. I will also try to write up some reviews for others within a few days.
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-02-05 at 04:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922

Daemon

Added the Deckbuilder Wizard.

I crave feedback. I’d love to see it play tested.

I’d use a regular deck of cards at the table and just write spell names on the faces as needed (or keep a legend). MtG inspired the idea but there’s no real thematic or mechanical link to the game.

It’s maybe a high level dream but I think the options it can open at lower level with down casting, no loss upcasting, and so on are interesting without being game breaking. It has a baked in call to adventure in that scroll hunting is your full time job. As is keeping two or more back up spell books.

One to hold all your spells, one for your deck, and one you can convert into your deck of the first deck is lost or destroyed.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post

I’d use a regular deck of cards at the table and just write spell names on the faces as needed (or keep a legend). MtG inspired the idea but there’s no real thematic or mechanical link to the game.

It’s maybe a high level dream but I think the options it can open at lower level with down casting, no loss upcasting, and so on are interesting without being game breaking. It has a baked in call to adventure in that scroll hunting is your full time job. As is keeping two or more back up spell books.

One to hold all your spells, one for your deck, and one you can convert into your deck of the first deck is lost or destroyed.
    I think it sounds like a neat idea, but I'm a little confused as to how it would play - are the draws from the spell deck in addition to your normal spells per day? It seems to me like a draw from the deck is just risking a spell slot, and a potentially unhelpful spell. I could see playing a deckbuilder wizard if I could choose spells from a hand or a spread, but leaving things fully up to chance feels too risky to me.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post

Mmm, some toughts from the stream:

• I would keep the spellbook only to store spells known, not to use them.
    • I would replace prepared spells entirely with the spelldeck.
    • I would add a minimum and maximum number of cards in the spelldeck, that you can "build" (or "rebuild") at the end of a long rest.
    • I would add a "hand of cards" that you draw at the beginning (of what? Of the combat? Of the day? Each time you need to cast a spell?) and from which you can choose.
    • I would add some special non-spell cards to mix inside the spelldeck (to draw, discard, shaffle, apply metamagic-like effects...), that you unlock as you level up as features, and that you can play using the relative action (bonus or "standard", depending on the card).
    • The down/upscaling mechanic is interesting, but it needs to be tested. If you introduce the "hand of cards" you could probably remove this mechanic.

More than anything, i can't see the theme of the contest in this subclass (but that's probably because I haven't figured it out yet)
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2023-02-06 at 07:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #925

Daemon

I think it sounds like a neat idea, but I'm a little confused as to how it would play - are the draws from the spell deck in addition to your normal spells per day? It seems to me like a draw from the deck is just risking a spell slot, and a potentially unhelpful spell. I could see playing a deckbuilder wizard if I could choose spells from a hand or a spread, but leaving things fully up to chance feels too risky to me.
    Thank you so much for your feedback!

You spend a spell slot when you draw, so there are no “additional spells*.”

*see below

There’s an absolute intent that you “build” your spell deck by creating a spell book that only has spells you’d cast in a given situation like combat or daily prep. Every spell in the deck is effectively “prepared” but the ones in the deck are only able to be cast at “random.” If there’s a spell you want to insure you can cast on demand you’d have it prepared normally. At low level, when you’re likely to only have 1 spellbook, you can take spells you wouldn’t want to draw out by preparing them.

The advantage of the deck is that you can occasionally cast upper level spells with lower level slots, or cast spells with terrible casting times as an action though they have some diminished effects.

*You’re also refunded slots of the level difference when you use a higher level slot and draw a spell with no upcast option.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2023-02-06 at 08:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #926

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    Mmm, some toughts from the stream:

• I would keep the spellbook only to store spells known, not to use them.
    • I would replace prepared spells entirely with the spelldeck.
    • I would add a minimum and maximum number of cards in the spelldeck, that you can "build" (or "rebuild") at the end of a long rest.
    • I would add a "hand of cards" that you draw at the beginning (of what? Of the combat? Of the day? Each time you need to cast a spell?) and from which you can choose.
    • I would add some special non-spell cards to mix inside the spelldeck (to draw, discard, shaffle, apply metamagic-like effects...), that you unlock as you level up as features, and that you can play using the relative action (bonus or "standard", depending on the card).
    • The down/upscaling mechanic is interesting, but it needs to be tested. If you introduce the "hand of cards" you could probably remove this mechanic.

More than anything, i can't see the theme of the contest in this subclass (but that's probably because I haven't figured it out yet)
    Thank you so much for your feed back!

Contest theme includes pub games/activities like getting lit, playing darts, or cards. So this is a Wizard that uses a deck of cards.

Let me give an example of potential character types.

Wizard 1 keeps all their direct damage in the deck and prepares all their utility spells (knock, mage armor etc). In combat the potential to throw a 6d6 fireball as a first level spell is worth maybe drawing the wrong card a few rounds out of the day. At level 6, the card up their sleeve mechanic allows them to draw a card as a bonus action and hold it, they can immediately reveal it as an action for the effect, or draw a 2nd card and cast it as their action. If they know none of the spells left in the deck are concentration, they don’t risk losing the held one that they can cast later at a more opportune time.

Wizard 2 only keeps summons in their deck. A Dm could rule that summoned creatures are weakened somehow, but RAW, Dow casting would only limit their durations. Further, they could potentially Conjure Elemental as an action at an extreme discount.

Wizard 3 just keeps daily spells in the deck, mage armor, foresight, animate dead, etc. they just draw all their cards in the morning so they don’t eat up preparation slots and if they overcast, they use the refunded slots later as normal.

The Card Up Your Sleeve feature is effectively the subtle spell meta magic, unless a potential counterspeller also notices you sleight of handing the card.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    The College of the Public Bard is up. Public as in Pub. Join your friends in a rowdy drinking song. I think the basic feature of buffing Bard songs with more singers probably needs work, but I'm happy with Arm in Arm and Swapping Tales.
    Yes, I was curious how the "two people singing" effect works compared to the Arm in Arm effect.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes, I was curious how the "two people singing" effect works compared to the Arm in Arm effect.
    I dont know

I'll figure it out. Thanks for the feedback
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

29. - Top - End - #929

Imp

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...7&postcount=10

Hey guys! This is my second try. I made the bartender Barbarian. I wanted to do something for this theme. Let me know what you think. Thanks

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

I know there's only a few days left, but I wanted to get in some reading and provide my input on other entries. Enjoy!

Spoiler: Bootlegger
    Show

The alchemist's fire is cool and you get your own little bag of holding (for smuggling all of it)! You don't have a range increment listed for it though (aside from sneak attack itself having a limit of 30 feet).

I would have liked to see a little more progression for the alchemist's fire, but you make a good use of expanding the bonus action throughout the entire class to keep up your theme accurately.

Spoiler: Martial Archetype: Bouncer
    Show

Love Tap progresses very well throughout the entire class, so nice job on keeping it the primary feature. Overall, this reminds me of the Open Hand Monk, but the way it changes for various circumstances set it apart.

Sucker Punch is freakin sweet and the capstone is really strong, as it should be. This would be a great subclass to "bring them back alive."

Spoiler: Otherworldly Patron: The Green Fairy
    Show

Honestly, the name had me wondering how it was going to suit the theme, but enough good flavor did very nicely indeed.

Each feature captures the idea of "becoming intoxicated" in a different way for the effects. The invocation especially brings around to the theme nicely. You made a lot of valuable limitations to really display a firm, but fun, patron.

Spoiler: The Brewmaster
    Show

The evolution of brewing absolutely nails your master of brewing. It continues to expand available spells, even bringing in other sources for additional expansion.

The only nitpick I really have is that I saw intelligence modifier to attack bonus and knew you would have an extra attack as well. It fills out in a way, but I don't really know that it supports your theme.

Spoiler: College of the Public
    Show

There's always at least one that makes me laugh, so thanks! I like the different hands-on approach to build rapport and actively include others. We don't have proper mechanics for pub songs, and this fills that niche.

With Swapping Tales, I'm concerned about how that truly functions with trading certain proficiencies. For example, I don't know how often it would benefit for a Fighter to lose his martial weapon and heavy armor proficiency. So is this supposed to be briefly sharing (and gaining) or a legitimate trade?

Spoiler: The Deckbuilder Wizard
    Show

I have played... A lot of deck-building games so this was really cool to see. Right off the bat I'm concerned with how the spell deck will work if you draw a card that serves a wildly different purpose than what you need. Of course, Card up Your Sleeve somewhat addresses this as well as the capstone.

I appreciate how much work you put into clarifying various adjustments for increasing or decreasing the spell level as necessary.

Spoiler: Path of the Bartender
    Show

This is My House grows with proficiency for a nice damage and distance scaling. However, I don't really know that grappling suits the idea of a bartender. I know we have another bouncer, but that didn't stop all those Spider-Man subclasses!

Your other abilities definitely provide good ideas to support your bartender theme though. Top Shelf doesn't have a saving throw DC, so I just assume that would be the same as your throw save DC.

Thanks for reading, friends! Let me know what you think and feel free to poke some holes in mine.