New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Serpent's Skull [Racing to Ruin] (IC)

"Friends, there are perfectly good paths in need of exploring. I suggest we try that way first..." says brave, brave Sir Gelik pointing in the opposite direction of the odd sounds.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Which, of course, happens to be in the opposite direction of Tazion!
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #213

The party heads off in the direction of "their" entrance to Tazion, only to find that since yesterday, the camouflaged barb net trap has been placed there again.

So, will Fronaldo and Pim attempt to undo the trap "the old-fashioned way?" will Pim just toss another summoned creature into it and spring the trap?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Normally Fronaldo would relish the opportunity to test his skill against the device, but the strange sounds has him even more on edge than usual. That and the fact that the element of surprise has been thoroughly exhausted the previous day. He motions to Pim to chuck a sacrificial creature into the trap with a glint in his red eyes.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pim will, as was asked, summon another beetle from his arcane pool into the net.
    “I’m not sure if these are being set to gather information about us, or if the trapper is just persistent. Either way, I think this should be the last day we camp where we are, I don’t like the idea of being followed.”
    Life is just a candle, and the dream must give it flame.

6. - Top - End - #216

The beetle sets off the trap. The beetle isn't killed, but it's duration won't be enough to matter in transit through Tazion.

The party enter the little spur of game trail leading to the trap and fissure in the, heading inwards. ~225' heading westward before 75' heading north to the well.

It is by this point that the party will realize that at some point from leaving camp until now, they haven't heard the strange noises anymore. Well in the distance to the north, however, there is some significant amount of smoke. Not roiling smoke one would expect from burning dried materials (which would be a neat trick in the jungle without really being dedicated to burning a parcel of land). Rather, it is smoke - you can even smell the strange, almost brimstone-like smell - of white that you can't really see any source of fire from.

Does the party rally forth quickly, cautiously, from a not-direct angle? What?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"My friends, it is at times like these that I recall the great General C'Uster. A man of great vanity and ambition. Yet he was cautious. I suggest we learn from him and gather all the information we can before venturing forth, and determine whether we face a little or big-horned foe."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-03-10 at 11:38 PM.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

8. - Top - End - #218

"I'm inclined to agree with our little big man," says Aron. "The strange sounds we heard, that strange smoke which isn't natural and smells infernal. I am thinking rushing straight ahead in the open would be a bad idea."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pim will nod, and thinks,
    Spoiler: Collective
    Show
    "This might be the time to take ten minutes, scout ahead, and I will prepare an augury. Desna will answer us one yes or no question. That could tell us a lot about our position against the enemy. The marching sound ended, which I think means the troops are in their positions. We can ask for clarity on how to proceed safely, or how to eliminate a threat, if there is one."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Fronaldo>>>Collective
    Show

“I will scout ahead but I need a buddy incase one of us gets ambushed.”

11. - Top - End - #221

"I will go with you, Fronaldo," says Tor-ber Ahmose. After Pim, Tor-ber is probably the stealthiest, but he is also physically capable if needed and not as slow as Pim if you need to pull back quickly. "We can reconnoiter with no intention to engage, and Pim can do his magic here with the rest of you. Sound good?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“My suggestion is that I go first, followed by Tor-ber after about 30 ft. Next the main party follows back 30 feet from Tor-ber. Move at a slow even pace, like this *demonstrates walking slow at 20 ft/round*. Be quiet as you can. You most likely will loose sight of me but don’t panic. This kind of formation won’t necessarily keep us from danger but it should give us the best chance that we see the enemy before they see us. We should head to the site of the ruin fight from yesterday since we know the route and escape routes. Pim, what is the range on the thought speech?”

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"'No intention to engage...' Those words are music to my ears..."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The predatory gleam in Fronaldo’s red eyes might suggest that he intends to engage. At least a bit...

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"It would be 160 feet. And if you get out of it I'll have to reinclude you in it, it wouldn't just be suppressed while you are out of it. So... it would be better to just scout ahead while sticking in range, so that we can react to whatever happens."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fronaldo looks around the group before settling on Arun’s tall figure.
    “I don’t know what Pim’s magics could do to aid us but I prefer to keep moving. But I also don’t want to split the group. What should we do Arun?”

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pim thinks to the collective
    Spoiler: Collective
    Show
    ”I think it would be safe enough to split up for a few moments, but if everyone wants to stick together, I could join you Fron, and anyone else who wants to scout who feels lucky. If we need to we can fall back, but make sure we try not give away any more information about our position, yeah? I feel like those trappers might be following us.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Gelik warily looks over his shoulder...

19. - Top - End - #229

So, the group will attend to Pim's augury before anyone heads farther in..

Pim, what do you want to know (I will do the rolls)?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

If there is no further discussion, Fronaldo’s plan is put into action. He moves out at a cautious speed, matching the rate he demonstrated to the party. He gives Tor-ber a silent hand signal to proceed when he is 30 ft. out. What are the jungle sounds/sights/smells at this time?
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

double move at 20 ft / MA. Use Stealth. Take -5 penalty for moving at faster than half but less than full speed.

21. - Top - End - #231

There is an unnatural fog, and something acrid on the nose. Fronaldo has to close into the fog that soon is understood to be white smoke that is clearing, but slowly. He moves close enough that he is now in the area where the last fight was with the charau-ka yesterday. There are many bodies on the ground - mostly charau-ka, but some humans. There is nothing to strip off of the charau-ka, as you know, but the two people at this site have been stripped of gear.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Show

“White smoke from a fire or explosion here. Many Charau-ka and a couple humans are dead. The humans have been stripped of gear. I will wait here and light my sun rod so you find your way to me.”

Spoiler: crunch
    Show

retrieve sun rod from haversack. Activate it. Hold the torch as he examines a human body to determine cause of death. Also try to determine if he can detect any chemical or magical accelerants used in the fire/explosion by smell or residue.

23. - Top - End - #233

Outside of the smoke, the sunrod will be a wan light to follow as smoke obscures it outside of a certain range, but as the smoke is very slowly clearing, it is still something that Tor-ber .... and from his directions, the rest of the party .... can follow.

Fronaldo can't be sure because the smoke is still there and obscures .... and the sunrod has a lot of backscatter light off of the smoke ... as far as the bodies. But he breathes in the smell, and he is very sure of the nature of the smoke now. That, and the distant "thunder" that they heard .... surely, there were a large number of alchemical devices known as "firearms" that were used.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Show

“This smoke is the result of a large number of black powder firearms being discharged. There is a rival faction near-by!”

25. - Top - End - #235

Spoiler: Aron >>> Collective (Fronaldo)
    Show
    "Pull back, and wait for the smoke to clear," comes Aron over the collective. "We aren't messing around where we can't see well, and I haven't heard the thunder .... or any sign of conflict."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fronaldo quickly tries finding the group and returning to them.

27. - Top - End - #237

The group does as Aron suggests, with Tor-ber having the group hide within the edge of internal jungle. The smoke actually doesn't take that long, but a few minutes.

What is left is a scene of death. Lots of charau-ka and a humanoid (mostly human, but some others, like a halfling or a half-elf here or there) in a field of scattered bodies heading north.

What now?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Looking at the others, Xhanfaerd looks puzzled.

"Was there survivors ? Any idea what way they went, then ?"
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“The trail of bodies lead North!” smirks Fronaldo. “Following them will most likely lead to confrontation and “weakening” of our group. Better to avoid them if we can and focus on our primary goal. Now that we know that they are here, we must be on our guard. That many Firearms are no joking matter.”

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Now that... Is the wisest course of action anyone has mentioned in a long time. I am Gelik Aberwhinge and I endorse this message."