New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default What feats for my necromancer wizard?

My wizard is currently level 10, but I am looking forward to level 12, and trying to decide what feat to get.

I am a variant human with the alert feat, 8 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 20 int, 12 wisdom, and 10 charisma.

I have one free "change your point buy" thing in this campaign, which means I could lower my int by one and get a feat that increases it (however I can only do this once)

Feats I am considering:

Artificer initiate: our only other caster in the group is an artillerist artificer, this feat could get my cure wounds, which would be useful on someone as
    Resolute, con: Profiency in con saving throws seems useful.
    Warcaster: I don't lose concentration much, but keeping it seems important.
    Telekinetic: I was thinking it might be fun to multiclass into cleric at level 18, I could use this to boost my wisdom by 1 for that. Not sure how useful it is though.

And those are the main ones I was thinking of. Any suggestions?
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: What feats for my necromancer wizard?

Do you want a necromantic empire? If you want a necromantic empire, start working on your charisma and social skills so you can convince powerful undead to follow you and be your lieutenants.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

My necromancer has... Alert, Telepathic, Lucky, and plans on taking Martial Adept if I ever high enough (Ambush, Commander's Strike)

I've seen people using Inspiring Presence to beef up their undead minions... but I tend on the 'lots of low quality minions' model myself so didn't think it was worth it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rfkannen View Post
    My wizard is currently level 10, but I am looking forward to level 12, and trying to decide what feat to get.

I am a variant human with the alert feat, 8 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 20 int, 12 wisdom, and 10 charisma.

I have one free "change your point buy" thing in this campaign, which means I could lower my int by one and get a feat that increases it (however I can only do this once)

Feats I am considering:

Artificer initiate: our only other caster in the group is an artillerist artificer, this feat could get my cure wounds, which would be useful on someone as
    Resolute, con: Profiency in con saving throws seems useful.
    Warcaster: I don't lose concentration much, but keeping it seems important.
    Telekinetic: I was thinking it might be fun to multiclass into cleric at level 18, I could use this to boost my wisdom by 1 for that. Not sure how useful it is though.

And those are the main ones I was thinking of. Any suggestions?
    Lucky, because it's lucky. It's always good.

Otherwise, Metamagic adept is very good with extend spell and...I don't know, quicken spell maybe? In general there are a couple long duration necromancy spells (like danse macabre) that you can extend to 2 hours, which is actually a pretty significant difference. You can also extend soul cage so you can murder someone before bed, cuddle up with their soul, and wake up the next morning to tear its secrets and life out without using a spell slot, which makes the spell quite good. And if you are an elf, you can eventually do the same with foresight.

What you spend the other metamagic pick on is your choice-subtle is also cheap. The one thing to note is that, unless your charisma is decent, you actually can't use subtle, empower, etc. effectively because they specify they work on charisma modifier creatures or charisma modifier dice, but they are otherwise decent choices as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    I've seen people using Inspiring Presence to beef up their undead minions... but I tend on the 'lots of low quality minions' model myself so didn't think it was worth it
    This is why I think CON save AoEs aren't as bad as people think they are. The ideal zerg rush monster has to assume that they'll die in one hit, so they have little use for CON or HP; you'd need to invest a lot in order to get them enough HP to survive one hit. No, what you want is DEX, because it will boost your AC (less likely to get hit, less likely to die) and your damage. Mook hordes are glass cannons, they just want to deal as much damage as they can before they die, and they rely more on sheer numbers to act as a proxy life bar; you can only kill so many each round, so they have that many rounds to kill you first. For some reason, a lot of AoE spells use DEX saves, which makes them better are targeting big brutes, but worse at targeting the nimble swarms.

With this in mind, would it be worth it to get Inspiring Leader to bolster your skeletons? It might, but it kind of depends how hard the enemy is hitting. Against an ancient dragon, it probably won't make much of a difference; one breath weapon and all of your skeletons are gone anyway. Against weaker enemies it probably would be enough to let them survive an extra hit, maybe two. So I think it does have its place just so long as you realize it won't always help.

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

Inspiring Leader doesn't work with Animate Dead.

The feat specifically makes note that you inspire a group of creatures that are "friendly" to you, and while certain summoning spells like conjure woodland beings specify that the spell makes those creatures friendly to you, Animate Dead does not. The undead you animate are subject to your command for the 24 hour period but are not friendly to the summoner; those skeletons your Necromancer animated are not his friends and it turns out that the nonsensical notion of inspiring a group of mindless servants from a narrative perspective is also codified in the wording of the feat.
    Last edited by TheUser; 2020-11-25 at 09:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Do you want a necromantic empire? If you want a necromantic empire, start working on your charisma and social skills so you can convince powerful undead to follow you and be your lieutenants.
    I hadn't considered that! that would work well with the fact my character is a noble, and I am pretty sure the only person in the party with proficiency in any charisma skill lol.
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/