New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Could a holy symbol be used as an arcane focus?

Could a holy symbol be used as an arcane focus? Assuming no divine spellcasting, of course.

ETA: Yes, the holy symbol would be specifically designed/designated as the arcane focus. It is not meant to be any J. Random Holy Symbol.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2020-11-25 at 12:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Could a holy symbol be used as an arcane focus?

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Could a holy symbol be used as an arcane focus? Assuming no divine spellcasting, of course.
    No, though if it is just a fluff thing for a devout arcanist; a 'rod' or 'staff' or 'wand' or something could be in the shape of a Holy Symbol

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    No, though if it is just a fluff thing for a devout arcanist; a 'rod' or 'staff' or 'wand' or something could be in the shape of a Holy Symbol
    Also you could have the arcane focus and the holy symbol hang form the same rope, kinda like a key chain for magical focuses.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

4. - Top - End - #4

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Also you could have the arcane focus and the holy symbol hang form the same rope, kinda like a key chain for magical focuses.
    I suppose, though that wouldn't solve the need to 'switch' between them via item interactions and whatnot if you were, say, a Cleric/Wizard

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The general rule is that a spell focus need only be worn, and you have a free hand to access it with. This is kind of obvious with something like an amulet, but even for, say, a wand, it can stay tucked in your belt until you actually cast the spell. It can be assumed that you draw the wand, use it to cast your spell, then put it away, all as part of the same action used to cast the spell. All you have to do is be able to touch the spell focus with a free hand. With this in mind, it shouldn't be a problem to use the same item as both an arcane focus and a holy symbol, or to attach them together. And of course you can also use a component pouch, which more or less acts like a universal spell focus.

Now, things get a bit trickier when we start talking about a spell focus that is held, like a staff or shield. A spell focus doesn't need to be held, but if it is, you can use the hand holding it, instead of a free hand, to cast your spell. The drawback is that you can't perform somatic components with that hand unless the spell also has a material component. With this in mind, it is actually better not to hold your spell focus. However, there might be another reason to hold your spell focus, for example, if it is also a weapon or shield. That's the trade off. You can have a weapon/shield that is also a spell focus, and not be able to cast somatic-only spells, or you can give up the weapon/shield to free up a hand so you can use both somatic and material components.

So, could you attach a holy symbol to your staff? Could you place a crystal on your shield? Honestly, I don't know. I do feel like it's somewhat intentional that the only listed spell foci that can double as weapons are the arcane and druidic foci (staves and rods), while the only spell focus that can be a shield is the holy symbol. Letting you swap or combine them seems like it might be against the spirit of the class theming, but I can't honestly think of a good reason why you wouldn't be able to.

But if you're just talking about refluffing an arcane focus to be a holy symbol, then sure, go nuts. Nothing's changed mechanically. It's still an arcane focus, it just looks like a holy symbol.

On the other hand, if you're talking about borrowing (or "borrowing") someone else's holy symbol and using that to cast your arcane spells, that's a no go.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

It is just fluff but my cleric/ transmuter uses an amulet holy symbol with his transmuter’s stone in the middle with his crystal arcane focus in the stone’s hollow centre. Think double rings then crystal.

May need to rethink this when he starts shattering the stone at 14th level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

An arcane focus needs to be specifically created for that purpose, you can't take any stick and say it's a wand. By the same reasoning, you can't take any holy symbol and say it's an arcane focus.

There is nothing stopping an holy symbol to be added to an arcane focus, though, like painting your god's symbol on your magic shield as an Artificier.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'd say that it depends on which item was chosen as the arcane focus and what the holy symbol is and how it's presented. An arcane focus is a physical thing while a holy symbol can be a physical thing (see PHB pg 151).

Some combinations make sense (a rod topped with Solinari's white sphere) while others are ridiculous (the emblem on your shield cannot be an arcane focus). I'd let you have it if you can convince me that it's logical... well, as logical as possible in a game with arcane magic and divine intervention.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

No, you cannot pick up any old holy symbol and use it as an arcane focus unless it was, or it contained, any of the foci (crystal, orb, rod, staff, or wand). Or maybe it was to the god of magic.

I would certainly allow a character to design a holy symbol that would work as both, but I would not allow every holy symbol to work that way.
    Last edited by Demonslayer666; 2020-11-25 at 10:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

Yes, the holy symbol would be specifically designed/designated as the arcane focus. It is not meant to be any J. Random Holy Symbol.

The character I was thinking of is a Celestial Warlock or a Divine Soul Sorcerer. Even though not a divine spellcaste, per se, it's completely within character for the PC to have a holy symbol. Depending on the church, they may even be a member of the laity.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

In that case, they could absolutely have some form of arcane focus that is specifically made with religious iconography. The questions come in when you start watning to use it to cast both wizard/warlock spells, AND cleric spells. If you're going down that road, definitely talk to your DM.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I could see a holy symbol of Mystra or Boccob being used as an arcane focus.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

If a player pitched the idea of a combined item I can’t image a scenario where I wouldn’t say sure, go for it.

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Thanks, everybody.

15. - Top - End - #15

MonkGirl

It represents a very minor buff to multiclass casters to be aware of though

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I would be completely fine with sovereign gluing an AF crystal to the butt end of your holy symbol, or attach the amulet to the top of your staff. You still need to pay for both, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    I could see a holy symbol of Mystra or Boccob being used as an arcane focus.
    For a believer, absolutely.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.