A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Red Hand of Doom 5e (OOC2)

Welcome to the second OOC thread. IC Thread now here Wrong, that's the old one. This is the IC thread

Player Character Class Race
    Xihirli Gaks Transmuter Wizard Hobgoblin
    ProudGrognard Aetus Deep Stalker Ranger Wood Elf
    BobtheWizard Zuri Shepherd Druid Vuman
    WhismurWanders Roswyn Ancestral Barbarian Stout Halfling
    Stack Beorn Stahl Warlord (commander) Vuman
    Digo Freya Ragnahild Lore Bard Vuman

Recruitment post/Big 16 to keep safe:
    Spoiler
    Show

”For a hundred generations your sons and your son's sons will sing of the blood spilled by your swords and the glory you win in the nights to come! Now, my brothers – to WAR!”

The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. One such town, Drellin's Ferry, lies a few miles ahead of you. It's a settlement hard on the borders of the Witchwood, and the best place from which to begin exploring the nearby forest.

One of the most popular adventures of the 3.5 era, Red Hand of Doom's got quite a reputation. I like it. I wanna run it. Here's the game. Cut off for applications is Friday 10th April evening (UK time). Tonally RHoD is a race-against-time adventure with an encroaching threat that you're trying to harry and disrupt. It'll be heavy on the combat, light on the political intrigue.

Also there's dragons.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Forgotten Realms. RhoD sets itself in a location which I'm pretty sure got blown up during 4e, so we're going to shift over and hollow out a chunk of the Greypeak Mountains for Elsir Vale, east of Waterdeep/Daggerford. RIP to anyone who was living there, but my campaign's different. Campaign will be self-contained to the Vale, so don't expect larger goings on to affect all that much, but just relevant in case you want to be frame your character as “relatively local” or “far off traveller”.

Elsir Vale is a thinly populated human frontier region, stretching roughly 250 miles east-to-west and 70 miles north to south, filled with several small mountain ranges and forests. We're in the summer months. It's stiflingly dry most of the time, and thunderous monsoons when it's not.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Forums. I usually use mythweavers for sheets, but if you’ve got an alternative (eg. dndbeyond) that’s fine too.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

5th level – expect to go to 10th-11th. Milestone levelling.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

1st level wealth+equipment, plus 500gp that you can spend on mundane items. Or save.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Any classes/archetypes from published stuff – UA included. Except the new Wildemount stuff 'cos I don't have that. Not allowing homebrew with the exceptions of Blood Hunter, as is this Warlord class

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any races/archetypes from published stuff – UA included. Except the new Wildemount stuff 'cos I don't have that.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

27 Point Buy. HP take your average rather than rolling (with max at 1st as normal).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Not fussed beyond “must be able to work in a group”.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Allowed, not fussed.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

People will roll their own dice. If you’re forcing a save against someone else, roll in your post to speed things up – can apply modifiers later. I’ll be doing the same.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Everyone gets a free feat (so vhumans get two in total) No real HRs other than that, could change along the way.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

The group will be an established adventuring party who's been together for ~9 months. Background before then could be up to you, but since then you've been on a few adventures. During your last dungeon delve, you came across a treasure map leading to Vraath Keep in the Witchwood of Elsir Vale, promising a hidden vault full of loot.

Don't worry about making characters match with each other, can sort that in the OOC thread once selections have been made.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack+slash/RP, probably not much puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Anything from published stuff – UA included. Except the new Wildemount stuff 'cos I don't have that. Not allowing homebrew with the exceptions of Blood Hunter, as is this Warlord class

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

Elsir Vale:

Witchwood:

Goblin Marked Map

Blackfens
    Trellara's map is more detailed than this in game but this'll do
    A=Roadblock (ignore the one on the left, it doesn't exist)
    B=Tiri Kitor settlement
    C=Lake with the ruins

Ruins of Rhest
    I=Expected lizardfolk huts, you're on the southwestern-most channel.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-14 at 12:16 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (OOC2)

Now this makes more sense. Is it a time limit or a post limit on a thread?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    50 pages. Sometimes you cane get away with a few more than that, but they get locked when a mod gets around to it after 50.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    My understanding is that once a thread hits 50/51 pages, the mods will before long lock it to prevent it from bloating too large (which I think causes forum issues) so making a replacement before the old one gets locked is just proactive.

While we may be in the middle of a heated battle, now feels like as good a time as any as to sum up the Story So Far:

Originally on your way to Vraath Keep, you were accosted by some hobgoblin marauders near the town of Drellin's Ferry. After arriving you were told that attacks had been increasing of late, and the townsfolk - primarily Speaker Wiston and Captain of the Guard Soranna - asked you to assist. From there you headed into the Witchwood forest, but were unable to convince the local ranger to assist. Undeterred you reached Vraath Keep and found it occupied by a hobgoblin force lead by a bugbear wizard, who you came to learn was Wyrmlord Koth.

With Koth's defeat you located notes (and interrogated a soldier, before mercilessly executing the unarmed man at your mercy) and a map he had of the area indicating a larger invasion was planned, with Skull Gorge Bridge to the north as a potential crux point. You also met an elderly giant called Warklegnaw and convinced him to help against the now-named Red Hand invasion. Aetus accompanied the giant back to his clan in the mountains to the west while the rest of you proceeded to the gorge. Occupied by hobs and a green dragon, a difficult fight faced you but you managed to win out, kill the dragon and destroy the bridge - albeit some of the hobgoblns on the north side escaped.

Victorious you returned to Drellin's Ferry to report of the situation, and the town leadership agreed a full evacuation was warranted given the information you'd found. Your next destination, based on the information the Speaker had and the map you were provided, pointed you towards the marshes of Rhest to the northeast. You opted to travel overland using Gaks' phantomsteeds which greatly sped up your travel. On your way to the marshes you encountered a Red Hand blockade, seemingly set up to prevent word escaping the Elsir Vale of the impending invasion to request external reinforcements.

Once you entered the marsh proper, your first major obstacle was a draconid razorfiend, however after dispatching this you were discovered by a band of local elves riding giant owls - the Tiri Kitor, a group of elves who had lived in the Rhest swamps quietly for centuries. Despite their initial suspicions you were brought to their main camp to plead your case before their leader, Sellyria, who proposed that should you be able to sever a fledgling alliance between the lizardfolk of the marshes and the Red Hand, they would pledge their forces to assist defending the human capital of Brindol. You were accompanied into the marshes, though not as originally intended, by Trellara, a young songstress seeking vengeance for her brother who was killed by the razorfiend you dispatched previously.

After some marsh-based mishaps and adventures you reached the sunken city of Rhest residing in the centre of a lake and engaged Red Hand forces, first slaying their dragon and the second time their mindbender, though you were unable to bring final defeat to their Wyrmlord, a goblin ranger called Saarvith. He escaped, leaving behind a message related to the Ghostlord in the Thorn Wastes, to the south of Drellin's Ferry. The Red Hand's retreat from the area meant that you had satisfied Sellyria's request though, and they agreed to send troops as planned, though Trellara would not be accompanying you further for the moment.

Despite, or possibly because of, concerns of a trap you decided to follow Saarvith's trail, hoping to either head him off and beat him to the Ghostlord or to simply have a second opportunity to take him out and set off back across the Elsir Vale. On your way you encountered an ambushed wagon filled with gold and jewels, and a note from the Lord of Brindol indicating the amount was promised to some dwarven mercenaries at Hammerfist Hold. It would take you out of your way and slow your pursuit of Saarvith, but the mercenaries could be crucial in Brindol's defence so you opted to deliver the gold yourself.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Heh, made a little metajoke there in the post.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Sparks, kobold wizard

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What? Not good at interrogation?
    And I can't move the sphere through the wall, I would assume. Plus I want to whelm the guy!
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    And I can't move the sphere through the wall, I would assume. Plus I want to whelm the guy!
    It looks like you could move it 5' south through the opening so you could get a shot at him next round. I was reading watery sphere and that spell has some weird restrictions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Or I could get the fool THIS round the instant he shows his face!
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.

9. - Top - End - #9

What? Not good at interrogation?
    Bah, don't worry. Freya's just being dramatic. It's her thing.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the summary, Amn!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

BR(1d20+6)[23](2d8+4)[14]
    BF(1d20+6)[24](1d20+6)[15](2d8+4)[13]

BSG (1d20+5)[15](1d6+3)[4]
    BSG2 (1d20+5)[6](1d6+3)[9]

BSZB (1d20+2)[15] vs 13 (5d8)[18]

HWSS (1d20+1)[4] vs 16

HB(1d20+3)[12](1d10+1)[2](2d6)[6]

HWSSE1 (1d20+1)[16] vs 16
    HWSSE2 (1d20+1)[13] vs 16
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Did we win?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Did we win?
    Magic 8 ball says not yet.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Did we win?
    Not yet. Zuri is going to drop her flaming sphere and call in her cavalry. Let's see what we get.

(1d6)[6]

CR 1/4 - 1. Constrictor Snake 2. Flying Snake 3. Giant Poison Snake 4. Giant Wolf Spider 5. Velociraptor 6. Wolf

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Wolves are neat.
    I’m gonna pull the watery sphere back so it’s in position to whelm if Freya and Beorn pull the enemy into range.
    Guess who I run over to do that?

(1d20)[9] strength save for the first hob I whelmed.
    Back into the sea! Yar!
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No crits but they all hit AC 17 or better, so hopefully 29 damage to one and 27 to the other.

Amnestic, if the wolves killed either of their targets, then they will use their movement to reach another enemy, the ones closest to Roswyn will help her and the ones by Gaks will move east toward Freya and Beorn.

Gaks and Roswyn, you get 12 THP

17. - Top - End - #17

I’m gonna pull the watery sphere back so it’s in position to whelm if Freya and Beorn pull the enemy into range.
    If by 'pull the enemy into range' you mean Freya running like a woman with her pantaloons on fire, then yes, she's going to be doing that.

...just have to figure out how I want to do that. Might have to use Freya's new spell to just plant her well outside ground zero. But that does leave Beorn alone with the monster mash. Hmm.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Disengaging would do.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, I've fought barghests in other 5e games. Without going into meta-gaming territory, I'll just say this will be an uphill battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I thought barghests hated goblins.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Disengaging would do.
    Yeah, and they'll give chase... which would be what you wanted so I guess that might work?

First gotta make a Concentration check on my Invisibility spell: (1d20+2)[6] vs. DC 10

(luck point in case that first check fails: (1d20+2)[6])
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #22

Forgot to roll for the healing word: (1d4+4)[8]

Looks at the healing word roll. Looks at the concentration rolls. okay sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-11-27 at 09:36 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

In Pathfinder's setting, I think goblins worship them or they are somehow tied to goblins deities. No clue for 5e.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like this is a hiccup of 3.5 to 5e lore.

In 3.5 with the OG RHoD (and also 4e), barghests were frequently leaders of goblin tribes, whereas in 5e their lore got changed/updated/retconned/etc. so that instead they prey specifically on goblins to try to beef up the 'goblin werewolf' theme I guess.

If I had to justify it alongside 5e barghest lore, they'd be working with the Red Hand to get closer to powerful goblinoids, since rank-and-file losers aren't powerful enough for them to power up from, but really it's reliant on 3.5 lore more than anything else. An official update/reprint of the module might address this in detail either by changing the encounter or offering an explanation. :P
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, got it.
    Curse you, Volo.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

IIRC, Magubliyet forged a deal with the Barghest deity (Gehenna?) but then didn‘t hold up his end of the bargain, so barghests are supposed to consume something like 11 goblinoid souls through their lifetime to get back at Magubliyet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

crit damage (1d8)[4]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

A magic weapon would be good
    Then use the axe we got from the hydra.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Then use the axe we got from the hydra.
    We have a magic axe? I have no recollection of this.

edit - found it. Completely forgot that thing. Not that it would help Beorn much, since he lands so few killing blows, but it would be better than a mundane sword. Unless we need it as a gift or something.
    Last edited by stack; 2020-11-30 at 09:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[22] vs 11
    (1d20+3)[9] vs 11
    (1d20+3)[17] vs 11
    (1d20+3)[7] vs 11

(1d6)[4]