New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Tatical feats for free

What if all martial PCs who have the preqs to these feats automatically gain them ?

I think it’s a good idea because:

1. Martial characters are considered a lot weaker than spellcasters and while this certainly would not make things balanced, at least would give martial class more options

2. Most of these feats seems to exist only to create cinematic stunts in certain situations and thus i don’t think it would cause any big problems to the game

That being said, I’m a fairly new gm and maybe it’s a terrible idea

What do you guys think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Tatical feats for free

From an objective game balance view it is not game breaking.

On the the other hand, that doesn't mean that it won't break your game. It all comes down to how much each individual player optimizes compared to the rest of the group.

If you T1-2 casters in your group can play their classes up to their tier, buffing mundanes won't change much.
    But if you have some noob casters that can't wait to "...unleash their "normal" fireballs" while your mundane kills everything singlehandedly before they can act (because the mundane has the better initiative..), than you have created your own problem ;)

It is all up to the players. If you see a gap between your mundanes and caster, go for it. But if your casters are not up to cheesy tactics/builds/spell selection, you may want to avoid this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

It is generally difficult to give martials nice things because it has to be something that arcane casters can't replicate with a one-level dip. With that said, maybe you could make a feat to do this, like...

Mundane Devotion

Prerequisite: This character possesses no spell-like abilities, no supernatural abilities, and has no spell-slots, power points, or vestiges, no soulmelds, or... etc. You get the idea.

Benefit: This character gains the benefit of all tactical feats immediately upon meeting their other prerequisites without needing to select them as feats. They lose these benefits immediately upon losing the prerequisites to this feat.
    With that said, this feat could then be turned off by someone giving them an SLA or SUA or something like that, which is kind of funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    <Snip>
    I'd say most simple racial abilities shouldn't count, since you aren't actually training those. Although monsters who gain casting as a level X cleric/sorcerer/wizard/psion/etc probably spend enough time focusing on training their racial abilities that they can't spend the time training for [Tactical] feats. So a gnome, say, wouldn't automatically be disqualified, but illithids and most dragons wouldn't be able to take it. Furthermore, if you suddenly find yourself no longer qualifying for the feat, you don't lose the [Tactical] feats you already know, but you can't pick up any more after that point.

Also, a lot of [Su] abilities are martially-oriented, like a number of monk abilities, and nobody in their right minds would ever say taking monk should disqualify you. So you'd have to weed those out, too.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-11-26 at 11:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

It would certainly make playing a Martial Cleric or a Martial Druid all the more enjoyable. I suppose a Gish can enjoy it as well. Unless you are simply saying that having access to psionics, spellcasting, or whatever negates this, at which point, I'd just suggest you roll all of the tactical feats into combat maneuvers that anyone can, but martials are incentivized to do.