New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How do you beat Japanese ghosts?

It's worth remembering a lot of Western folklore was influenced by Christianity. A lot of traditional monsters that were in the vain of "you can't really do anything about this; they're manifestations of nature, death, injustices, and other things we have no control over". Then they got switched up to fit a newer "there is, in fact, an all powerful God who can put a stop to this nonsense" paradigm.

Hence why a lot of ghost stories involve "holy symbols" -- which act like they have the Abrahamic god behind them, even when they're from some other source of faith (as an aside, I love it when ghost stories take the idea it's any sort of faith that works, rather than anything external).

There's still a lot of very much invincible monsters in Western folklore, mind you. For example, if you were to meet the Nuckelavee (cw: skinless humanoid) on a dark Scottish shore, you have as much chance of beating it as you would slaying the sea if you were swept in by a wave.

Japan just applies the same logic to ghosts; the evil that created the spirit is done and dusted. Society just has to deal with the aftermath and hope for the best.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche
    Japan just applies the same logic to ghosts; the evil that created the spirit is done and dusted. Society just has to deal with the aftermath and hope for the best.
    This sounds very similar to the treatment of the original Godzilla; an overwhelming monster born of nuclear power. It cannot be reasoned with or destroyed; all you can do is survive it and rebuild once it's gone. So does that mean kaiju is a subset of the horror genre, or are they both subsets of something larger?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    This sounds very similar to the treatment of the original Godzilla; an overwhelming monster born of nuclear power. It cannot be reasoned with or destroyed; all you can do is survive it and rebuild once it's gone. So does that mean kaiju is a subset of the horror genre, or are they both subsets of something larger?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Kaiju movies are basically disaster movies meeting horror movies, IMO.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2020-12-03 at 01:38 PM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yup! It's a reference to that specific spirit who asks for some red or blue paper.
    That's really interesting and thanks for answering. I don't think any of the playthroughs I've watched have ever mentioned that specifically.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Her'es the thing, Godzilla in the orignal movie was defeated. albeit at great cost.

The "Oxygen Destroyer" used to kill him caused a great deal of ecological damage and, it's inventor fearing his creations use as a weapon destroyed all of his notes and every sample that wasn't going into the weapon and then deliberately stayed in the targeted area, dying himself, to prevent it from being recreated.

(Which, in the Heisei era continuity, eventually spawned Destroyah)

Though, that is not to say that Gozilla has neve been tied to Ghost Stories: In GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, the original Godzilla's bones are reanimated and possessed by the ghosts of all the people who died due to Japan's actions during World War II as an instrument of revenge.

Even the three guardian spirits (taking the form of Mothra, King Ghidora, and third monster who is really minor and forgettable) can't defeat the reanimated Godzilla. Eventually, a bomb is placed in his body blowing him up, but the last shot of the movie is Godzilla's massive heart at the bottom of the ocean still beating, indicating that the destruction of Godzilla did not banish, destroy, or lay to rest the vengeful spirits and that all they've done is buy time.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

This just showed up in Youtube: Japan had a ministry dedicated to dealing with evil spirits, fox spirits, and other problems of that nature.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Japanese Ghost Busters?