New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default New DM handed out backstories ???

Like the title says -- new guy joined our group! Okay your up next to dm! So he hands out 6 backstories. All 1st party. NO psionics. Low cheese tolerance! No idea what the game will entail as far as undead, ect. And no-one may share their story or build until the 1st session. Okay, this is kinda diferent ....

One caveat he has already told us ... Everyone gets (AND MUST TAKE) the 1/2 fey template for free. No other Templates or LA + races allowed.

Spoiler: Backstory I was given
    Show

Genesta was a male Draconic (Fairie) Pixie Sorcerer and Rurpu a female Dragonwrought Kobold (Copper) Sorceress that was exiled from her community as a young adult both for the copper tint to her scales and her disdain for Kurtulmak, the God of Kobolds.

Genesta rescued Rurpu from a band of rowdy Satyrs as she was travelling through his beloved forest. Taking her under his wing, he began to help her to further unlock her sorcerous abilities. Perhaps it was simply the amount of time they spent together or maybe it was their shared heritage … or perhaps it was simply that boys will be boys and girls will be girls but Rurpu became pregnant. She knew right away after laying the egg that it was special, it had the same copper tint that her own scales did.
    Sixty days later the egg hatched and the wyrmling that appeared was special indeed! Not copper tinted, but fully copper scaled, and with fully formed butterfly wings! Rurpu named her young offspring Kobrea.

Kobrea early on displayed her sorcerous heritage. Whichever of her heritages was showing through she was unknowingly casting cantrips as early as age seven. Of course her parents would nurture her talent. Kobrea was a curious soul. As soon as she could talk she began asking questions. She asked about everything under the sun. But her main interest was always dragons, dragons, and more dragons! She possessed an insatiable curiosity about her draconic heritage. Once she had fully realized her talent and began casting real spells she felt the irresistible urge to go find her heritage on her own, thus at the age of 9 she left the nest and set out on her own.

Before too long she had hooked up with a small adventuring party and her career as a sorceress really began to take off. Always a charming girl, she usually managed to get her way when it came to getting the small group to aid her ambition of tracking down her heritage. Always on the scent of dragons (especially copper dragons) or rumors thereof, Kobrea and her friends had many fine adventures.

After several years of adventuring she and her friends came to the aid of a smallish elven community besieged by a green dragon. Handily defeating the dragon, Kobrea and her comrades were awarded the status of elf friend. She added Aelwyn to her name and learned of a small community of copper dragons in the foothills of a nearby mountain range. At this time she left her friends and once again set out on her own to learn of her heritage.

Kobrea was in Heaven! After a short solo journey she finally found the copper dragons of her dreams. Less a community than a small family of younger dragons nonetheless they had the answers she had always dreamed of finding. She spent two full decades there. Playing with the seemingly ever present wyrmlings by day and learning of their history beside the elders by night her curiosity about her heritage was finally sated. She decided it was time to move on. She also left with a friend, a wyrmling insisted on following her. She didn’t really want it to but the parents said it wasn’t their decision so she aquicessed.

Once again ready to pick up her adventuring career she traveled to the largest town she knew of. Now she also had a new interest, putting an end to evil dragonkind! It didn’t take long to find an adventuring party to run with. Once again she used her natural charm *wink* to steer them towards her goal of dealing with any evil dragons they came across. It was only a few years until she had put together a band that fully shared her goals.

Many decades later, with many great victories and quite a few sad losses, she finally decided she’d had enough. Kobrea and her no longer wyrmling companion found themselves at home back with her copper dragon family. Content with her life and now 125 years old she was happy to rest. Her rest was short lived however. One day a pair of great wyrm red dragons attacked her family. A few were killed, a few survived but barely …. time for the gloves to come off again ....

I have a few ideas but I'm interested in hearing other ideas as far as a character build goes, supposed to be going from 1 to 20. I asked for some clarification on a few things and was told to build a character to fit the story, end of discussion!

I have to say this whole concept is kinda new to me ;-)
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2020-11-27 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: New DM handed out backstories ???

Sounds to me like the DM wrote a story, and now you get to act it out. I would expect high amounts of railroading ("No, Kobrea would never do that"). Considering the GM wants to build at the first session, I would expect a limited choice when it comes to build options.
    Also the character seems like a high-level adventurer, seems weird that she would be level 1... I'm curious what you will tell after the first session. Maybe I'm reading too much into this setup, and the GM just wants to make sure that the characters all have proper reasons to join the adventure.
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2020-11-27 at 06:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Getting handed a backstory" would be pretty strong grounds for me to bounce out of a game, myself. That bodes ill for the experience going forward.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    Sounds to me like the DM wrote a story, and now you get to act it out. I would expect high amounts of railroading ("No, Kobrea would never do that"). Considering the GM wants to build at the first session, I would expect a limited choice when it comes to build options.
    Also the character seems like a high-level adventurer, seems weird that she would be level 1... I'm curious what you will tell after the first session. Maybe I'm reading too much into this setup, and the GM just wants to make sure that the characters all have proper reasons to join the adventure.
    I agree with all of this. Definitely could be a sign of railroading aplenty to come but maybe not. After all, it is possible the GM really wants the story to start a specific way for whatever reason but will let players roam free once that's done.

That said, if this isn't the normal modus operandi of the group the GM should really have discussed this setup before just handing out backstories.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

so, a new guy joined your group, and you put him dming immediately? what could possibly go wrong?

different people have different styles. what is normal at one table is unacceptable in another, so you should have the new guy start as player so he can adapt to the table.
    and yes, it really does seem your new guy is a railroading, anti-optimization dm. and he is most likely mechanically ignorant too; in my experience, every time the dm does not want to give indications for a build, it's because the dm does not realize how much options there are. that does not mean he is necessarily bad - perhaps he is simply inexperienced, and he could have learned if he had started as player. and the handing of backstories means he is at least willing to do much prep work.

anyway, for this adventure, i'd give him the benefit of the doubt for a few sessions; see how he handles it. be ready to pull the plug, though.
    I wouldn't worry about build; if he said no cheese, it's likely he won't accept anything this forum suggests. Actually, one thing you should do is asking him to clarify what is cheese for him. everyone has different concepts of it too; what for one is normal optimization, for someone else is big cheese and for someone else again a low-op build.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Come on, OP asks suggestion for a build and the thread becomes "let's bash the DM"? With many unjustified assumptions to boot: we have absolutely no idea of how much the DM discussed his ideas with the group.

As for the character... well, I'd say that Sorcerer (obviously Dragonblooded!) is the base class, and from the backstory we can infer Ruathar and... well, the Wyrmling bit has me think Dracolyte, but it requires the ability to cast Divine Spells, which could be covered with Southern Magician.

Ah, and the race... Dragonwrought Kobold is usually considered cheese, but DM used it in the backstory, so...
    Last edited by CozJa; 2020-11-27 at 08:07 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'd just like to provide a different perspective to those that have been offered so far regarding the game and the DM. Some of the best campaigns I've ever played (and one of the best and longest I've ever DM'd, IMO) had completely pre-written or nearly completely pre-written characters. This doesn't have to mean railroading or anything like it. It can be all about making sure you have interesting opportunities for RP and interaction with the world, the story, NPCs, and fellow PCs.

Don't come in with a negative attitude! Try to get in your character's head, but know that it is your take on her that makes her who she is. If there's anything you're specifically uncomfortable with, talk to the DM about modifying it. Talk to the DM about your understanding of the character, and make sure you understand each other's visions. This can be a LOT of fun!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Looking at your backstory, Half Fey Kobold Sorcerer seems like the way to go taking Dragonwrought and Draconic Wings to best match how your DM has described the character. The backstory gives little information in terms of playstyle besides using your charisma to guide parties into achieving your aims so spell selection and potential prestige classes appears to be totally undecided. What kind of role do you want Kobrea to fulfil?

As far as the DM preconstructing backstories I agree with the other users thinking that the DM wants to send you down their own prepared story but that doesn't mean you won't get room to do your own things/RP Kobrea how you want but that depends on how set on their story your DM is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeKCog View Post
    ...And Draconic Wings to best match how your DM has described the character.
    Half fey get wings, I believe.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeKCog View Post
    Looking at your backstory, Half Fey Kobold Sorcerer seems like the way to go taking Dragonwrought and Draconic Wings to best match how your DM has described the character. The backstory gives little information in terms of playstyle besides using your charisma to guide parties into achieving your aims so spell selection and potential prestige classes appears to be totally undecided. What kind of role do you want Kobrea to fulfil?

As far as the DM preconstructing backstories I agree with the other users thinking that the DM wants to send you down their own prepared story but that doesn't mean you won't get room to do your own things/RP Kobrea how you want but that depends on how set on their story your DM is.
    Ruathar is explicitly mentioned by her becoming an Elf-Friend. Though character seems CG to me.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    Come on, OP asks suggestion for a build and the thread becomes "let's bash the DM"? With many unjustified assumptions to boot: we have absolutely no idea of how much the DM discussed his ideas with the group.

As for the character... well, I'd say that Sorcerer (obviously Dragonblooded!) is the base class, and from the backstory we can infer Ruathar and... well, the Wyrmling bit has me think Dracolyte, but it requires the ability to cast Divine Spells, which could be covered with Southern Magician.

Ah, and the race... Dragonwrought Kobold is usually considered cheese, but DM used it in the backstory, so...
    Thank You. Dragonwrought isn't cheese so much as people trying to claim they are true dragons. And the story says her companion is no longer a wyrmling towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Half fey get wings, I believe.
    And a flight speed twice their fastest mode of movement with good maneuverability

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    Ruathar is explicitly mentioned by her becoming an Elf-Friend. Though character seems CG to me.
    Ruathar is definitely iindicated ;-)

I had to call him and ask him if he considered web enhancements fair game (YES) and I asked about her apparent starting age. I guess I mirepresented what he said about 1 thru 20. He said we would going for twenty levels. He did confirm we are starting at 20 so epic campaign (YAY!)

So something along the lines of:
    Chaotic Good female Venerable Dragonwrought (Copper) Desert Kobold/Half Fey Sorceress 1/Kobold Paragon 3/Ruather 3/Dragonheart Mage 10/Sorceress 3

Divine Companion ACF (CC, 51): Lose familiar. Gain a spirit that stores spell energy and turns it into healing or deflection bonuses.

Doing both draconic rites of passage means I'll only lose two levels so I'll still get 9ths. I just think Dragonheart Mage fits.

Last edited by lylsyly; 2020-11-27 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm probably missing something, but I don't see how you qualify for Ruathar, even with Greater Draconic Right of Passage. Wouldn't you need Sorcerer casting 6?

Other than that, why are you going back to Sorc in the end? Wouldn't you prefer Archmage or something?

Edit: also, maybe consider giving up your familiar and taking a dragonblood sorcerer substitution level - it'll save you a feat.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2020-11-27 at 02:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    "Getting handed a backstory" would be pretty strong grounds for me to bounce out of a game, myself. That bodes ill for the experience going forward.
    Yeah, I'd pass - prefab characters kinda defeats the point, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    Also the character seems like a high-level adventurer, seems weird that she would be level 1...
    Yeah, this was my big issue - I'm glad that this was resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    Come on, OP asks suggestion for a build and the thread becomes "let's bash the DM"?
    Well, that is the most important step: figuring out what hurdles the OP will need to cross in order to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    And the story says her companion is no longer a wyrmling towards the end.

I guess I mirepresented what he said about 1 thru 20. He said we would going for twenty levels. He did confirm we are starting at 20 so epic campaign (YAY!)

So something along the lines of:
    Chaotic Good female Venerable Dragonwrought (Copper) Desert Kobold/Half Fey Sorceress 1/Kobold Paragon 3/Ruather 3/Dragonheart Mage 10/Sorceress 3

Divine Companion ACF (CC, 51): Lose familiar. Gain a spirit that stores spell energy and turns it into healing or deflection bonuses.

Doing both draconic rites of passage means I'll only lose two levels so I'll still get 9ths. I just think Dragonheart Mage fits.

Do any of these classes give you a dragon? Are you taking Draconic Leadership? Paying for the egg? How are you "mechanizing" your dragon companion?

What class(es) are you taking for the next 20 levels? Going for Epic spells? What skills are you taking (background suggests K: Arcana)? Epic feats? Any thoughts how you're going to manipulate PCs? How well does this character match your play style? Has your party done Epic before? With the new guy?

EDIT: what are you taking with your limited spell slots - especially for high level spells? (There was a thread of "best 9th level spells", but I cannot seem to find it)

How do y'all handle item creation? Shopping? Downtime?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2020-11-27 at 03:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Yeah I screwed that up should read sorc 1/K paragon 3/Sorc +2/Ruathar 3/Dragonheart mage .... I always take divine companion on sorcerer builds. I may switch some things out or around, got a week to play with it.

In fact I used to play with his old group as well as my own a few years ago and both groups had similiar playstyles so that not an issue. Haven't done epic since 2015/16 so that will be a nice change.

I'm looking at other dragon themed PRCs now. Sadly most of them kinda blow.
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2020-11-27 at 04:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Your build seems workable.

Be sure to clarify exactly if/how your dragon "friend" will work.

And as for the prefab Backstory: Given that you are playing a very very high Level game, which I ahve never experienced working without a lot of pre-work (Characters Limitations, relationship and goals for one) I would say, give him the benefit of the doubt.

If it doesnt work ourrt/you and the other palyers dont like it, talk to him.

Maybe you can find a compatible way to paly. There are always ways to work things out, IF both sides want to, that is.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So a Half-Fey Kobold, Sorcerer....

Take the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, pick either Nerveskitter or Benign Transposition for your Draconic Rite of Passage spell-like ability.

Ruathar is a given, and Dracolexi in RotD is also extremely fitting. Take Kobold Paragon 1 at 1st level for the higher skill points at x4 and slightly higher maxed HD.

So I'd go Kobold Paragon 1/ Sorcerer 2/ Kobold Paragon 2/ Dracolexi 2/ Ruathar 3/ Dracolexi 8, and you've got two more levels to work with. I'd say Dragonslayer 1/ Spellsword 1 is the way to finish the build, considering you're going after evil dragons. Use the Otyugh Hole in CS to get Iron Will for Dragonslayer without spending a feat on it, and that gets you the proficiencies needed for Spellsword. With the 10% ASF reduction from Spellsword you can use a mithral (animated) heavy shield and magical twilight mithral breastplate without suffering any arcane spell failure chance. Mithral armor counts as light so that also shouldn't interfere with your ability to fly.

Your character is 125 days old, so your dragon buddy is at the upper end of young adult (17 HD, no listed LA but it would be 4+). The feat Dragon Cohort in the Draconomicon allows you to count the dragon's ECL as three lower for determining cohort eligibility, and your cohort's ECL can't be more than two lower than your character level. So if your DM assigns a +4 LA to a juvenile copper dragon, it would be ECL 21, reduced to ECL 18 as a Dragon Cohort, which is perfect for you starting at 20th level.

Make sure you cover all the bases for Necessary Magic Item. The Raiment of the Four and Seven Veils item sets in MIC can be useful. Be sure to check MIC p234 before buying any items with an enhancement bonus or similar, as those effects should always be added to more interesting items instead. A Necklace of Adaptation is highly recommended at all character levels. Also get a Circlet of Rapid Casting or a Hat of Anonymity (at caster level 20 for a DC 35), and put your enhancement to Cha on that.

Get an Elvencraft (RotW) Composite Longbow, it counts as both a quarterstaff and a longbow, this was a gift from the elves you saved. It needs to be made masterwork three times, but you should also be able to put three wand chambers from Dungeonscape in it. Make all three weapon portions +1 Defending, put Greater Magic Weapon +5 on all three of those every day, and make it add +15 to your AC since Defending stacks with all other bonuses, which would include other Defending bonuses. [Cheese] Since that's a type of staff, make it an Ancestral Relic (BoED, it was blessed by your dragon family) and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224).[/Cheese]

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm sure it will be okay. Sad thing how the arcane dragon themed PrCs blow Except for Dragonheart Mage when they are at least TWO good options for divine casters. As far as my dragon friend goes I don't know. Best I can figure it would be juve or young adult by now. Neither worthwhile in an epic environment. I'm sure that that the 1st session next friday will clear up a lot of things ;-)

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    So a Half-Fey Kobold, Sorcerer.... Snip ;-)
    I had to go back and look at the draconinc word thing but YEAH!! I love it! Fits the backstory/saves me a caster level/and a couple of those words are VERY usefull ;-)

Thank you very much

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm interested to know how it goes.

I don't think pre-gen characters are bad. I like to use them. They allow for smoother narratives and spectacular pre-planned twists. They're also good if you don't wanna spend time building characters, or if you're first-time players. In other words... pregens are great for one-shots, convention play, trying out a new system...
    But in a long-running campaign? A long-running D&D campaign? Without getting player buy-in first? It's a tall order, likely to end unpleasantly. Unlike a one-shot, a good GM can't reliably predict how a campaign will turn out. I think they'd be better off giving you the premise (half-fey), getting buy-in, letting you build the character and backstory you want to play, and then adapting the story to fit your characters. In fact, I think they'd be better off running a small adventure first before diving into a campaign as a new GM with a new group, but you seem to be past that point.

Oh well, at least he's letting you build the character to fit the story. That's a good idea, I don't think you could enjoy a D&D character that you didn't build, in the long run. Mechanics are more important in D&D than in most games. I'd say stick with it and see how it goes, because... it might be unlikely, but hey, your DM might pull it off. It could turn out cool. And if not, he'll learn lessons for next time.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep a campaign log for science. Turns out great? You have a detailed account of how this stuff can work out great.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I have played in convention multi round scenarios like this setup. One was given a backstory and explained exactly how you connected to the group and what the mission was. It sounds like the GM just wants to run a short higher level campaign involving a dragon and fey theme.

It sounds like a test for the group not the GM. GM may be testing how well the table can roleplay, adhere to non cheesy builds, and adapt to changing situations. By declaring no cheese but then letting you do the build is a great way to determine what cheese means to the table.

Once, i was in a gestault(sp?) game and a new player came in with a dragonfire adapt battle weaver spell-dancer or some such. The GM had said keep it low key. We had played from level 1, were below wealth by level due to some very bad decisions. Most of us had a martial side and the other was low key caster. Almost no ACF were in play, no retraining either. This was pretty early on and several optimization tricks weren't widely known yet. It didn't last. The guy either was kicked or walked away after 3 sessions. As a player he was fine but expectations and acceptable play was just completely a no go.

They whole no sharing backstories would mean that somebody most likely has a secret. That was also fairly common of those convention games. I remember one game where we played Greek heroes, except I was playing a young thief that was the daughter of Hermes and the toon had a dex of 22 for ... reasons, i guess, and an extra 30 movement 2x a day. We played the whole scenario and nobody found out.

There is a module-like scenario, so yes the game is on rails as the group was presented a specific problem to solve. The PCs will most likely be able to come up with whatever plan but the plan needs to deal with X. Tell us how the story goes.

As for a build - dragon blooded Kobold sorc with 1/2 fey template. That is pretty straightforward. This PC seems to be a defender, willing to step up and smack down a trouble maker. Maybe toss in some Abjurant Champion once BAB is reached? Copper dragons will sometimes set themselves up as a guard in a local human settlement. I am not saying go for a gish but this would empower mage armor as well as test the waters for the class as a whole.