New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    So if each was beat by their antithesis, the one thing they regarded as too weak to bother to protect against (sorcerers with quantity over quality; dishonourable paladins; undead; something targeting a whole family at once), what would Serini's big downfall be? Her inability to settle down and defend the place herself?

GW
    Plus, Dorukan seems to have taken great pride in his intellect, and his gate was blown up by Elan's unthinking stupidity. Meanwhile, Lirian fell, not only to an undead, but to a forest fire, a destructive aspect of the same nature she loved. Given that Serini's dungeon was built around brute force and powerful monsters, i'm gonna bet it'll fall to a creature of absurd power and strength. Can you think of any creatures like that? Say, a creature you've spent years wondering about, and run a thread on?
    Last edited by woweedd; 2020-12-01 at 07:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Plus, Dorukan seems to have taken great pride in his intellect, and his gate was blown up by Elan's unthinking stupidity. Meanwhile, Lirian fell, not only to an undead, but to a forest fire, a destructive aspect of the same nature she loved. Given that Serini's dungeon was built around brute force and powerful monsters, i'm gonna bet it'll fall to a creature of absurd power and strength. Can you think of any creatures like that? Say, a creature you've spent years wondering about, and run a thread on?
    But that would be pretty much definitionally working as intended. That's not a flaw in Kraagor's worldview as interpreted by Serini, it is pretty much what Kraagor would have approved of, as far as I can tell. There is also a difference between "what ultimately broke the gate", which is incidental and not a pattern I can see, versus what the deep flaw in the individual that allowed the gate to be destroyed. "Fire versus nature", ok, and "good but stupid not making great decisions", ok, but "Roy decided it was for the best while V was in Hell" does not in any way reflect Whats-his-face's over-reliance on family or anything else about his philosophy. Meanwhile "wizards are the superior spellcaster"/"a natural virus will depower anyone dangerous"/"only a paladin's honour is unbreakable"/"only family can be trusted" do form a pattern where each one encountered the one thing it couldn't face, despite their belief they had found the perfect defence.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-12-01 at 08:50 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

With regards to serini and her intentions:
    Whilst she may have built the dungeon in tribute to Kraagor, let’s not forget he died (or not) because he believed in going full brute force without checking etc
    Maybe that’s the point - going brute force gets you nowhere
    So it’s a tribute and a lesson
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    With regards to serini and her intentions:
    Whilst she may have built the dungeon in tribute to Kraagor, let’s not forget he died (or not) because he believed in going full brute force without checking etc
    Maybe that’s the point - going brute force gets you nowhere
    So it’s a tribute and a lesson
    Admittedly, I don't trust the crayon drawings 100%, but that was not the lesson I got from Kraagor's death.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason, I don't feel like Kraagor's Tomb will fall like that. And not just because if it does then the world ends and the cycle continues, or the Snarl eats the multiverse.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    For some reason, I don't feel like Kraagor's Tomb will fall like that. And not just because if it does then the world ends and the cycle continues, or the Snarl eats the multiverse.
    Well, it could fall without being destroyed and the world ending (Team Evil could find it, secure it and start the ritual). But it would also be fitting if it held altogether thanks to teamwork and not relying on any one thing.
    Last edited by hroþila; 2020-12-01 at 08:59 AM.
    ungelic is us

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Well, it could fall without being destroyed and the world ending (Team Evil could find it, secure it and start the ritual). But it would also be fitting if it held altogether thanks to teamwork and not relying on any one thing.
    Pretty much, yeah. Besides, I think we're all a bit sick of the Order screwing things up and only managing to salvage things at the last second.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Given that Serini's dungeon was built around brute force and powerful monsters, i'm gonna bet it'll fall to a creature of absurd power and strength. Can you think of any creatures like that? Say, a creature you've spent years wondering about, and run a thread on?
    What gate?
    Can one destroy what one does not perceive?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-01 at 09:25 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    What gate?
    Can one destroy what one does not perceive?
    I don't think Elan even knew about Dorukan's Gate, and look what happened to that one!

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don't think Elan even knew about Dorukan's Gate, and look what happened to that one!
    What gate?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I know that. It's half the reason why I believe these must be dragon bubbles. However, I also know that Enor and the Boss Monster had different speech bubbles even though they were both blues, so I believe there's some room for variation. And were I to be wrong, we still have the orange ones, right?
    I'm thinking either outsider or aberration, with very little coming to mind for aberration, so going with outsider mostly. And mostly of the neutral types.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

We also have pseudodragons (too small) and wywerns (too few limbs). And yes, there's a fair chance one of the two can be a half-dragon.
    I willingly put pseudodragons aside (which indeed make my statement factually false) and truly forgot about wyverns (which are probably not smart enough and have the limbs issue).

My money would be on two half-dragons of different races of dragons and different species for the non-dragon halves.

Orange dragon sounds good to me, but there's also the thing that if a black dragon can speak in purple, I'd say a red dragon can speak in orange.
    If black dragons followed the same pattern, their speech bubble would be black on lighter shade of black, not that readable.
    It may also be the case of early instalment weirdness with the Giant not having decided yet about the speech bubbles.

I know that. It's half the reason why I believe these must be dragon bubbles. However, I also know that Enor and the Boss Monster had different speech bubbles even though they were both blues, so I believe there's some room for variation. And were I to be wrong, we still have the orange ones, right?
    Boss Monster indeed has a different kind of speech bubble.
    Maybe it's also the case of early weirdness as for the black dragon, maybe the Giant made a mistake.
    Or maybe we assume wrong and the speech bubbles don't follow a pattern. As odd as it may seem, i'm starting to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    I'm thinking either outsider or aberration, with very little coming to mind for aberration, so going with outsider mostly. And mostly of the neutral types.
    I don't think we've seen outsiders with the same kind of speech bubbles. Would you have an example?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-12-01 at 10:51 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post

I don't think we've seen outsiders with the same kind of speech bubbles. Would you have an example?
    Jeff, in a No Cure for the Paladin Blues bonus strip (the start of the Warthogs School of Magic scenes for the Linear Guild), is an outsider (looks like a four-armed fiend of some kind) who breaks the general "fiends have black background and coloured text" rule a bit - having red text on yellow background). Maybe the black background for fiends, is more for archfiends, that one pit fiend, and Qaar?

Another fiend with a similar red-on-yellow text-background colour combination - the hellhound, here:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0867.html

The red slaad here, has red text on pink background.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1147.html

The yugoloth (lobster-like fiend) has white text, pinkish-purple background

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0908.html
    This was the main example of "aberration with coloured text and background" - the carrion crawlers.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-12-01 at 11:29 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #284
    Firbolg in the Playground

I willingly put pseudodragons aside (which indeed make my statement factually false) and truly forgot about wyverns (which are probably not smart enough and have the limbs issue).

My money would be on two half-dragons of different races of dragons and different species for the non-dragon halves.
    The one with the blowgun definitely isn't a full dragon (but should be of Large size for the wings). The other… Hard to tell, but could be.

If black dragons followed the same pattern, their speech bubble would be black on lighter shade of black, not that readable.
    It may also be the case of early instalment weirdness with the Giant not having decided yet about the speech bubbles.

Boss Monster indeed has a different kind of speech bubble.
    Maybe it's also the case of early weirdness as for the black dragon, maybe the Giant made a mistake.
    Or maybe we assume wrong and the speech bubbles don't follow a pattern. As odd as it may seem, i'm starting to wonder.
    It's pretty consistent: dragons get either white on dark colour (ABD, Boss MOnster, the oracular voice) or dark coulour on light colour.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Jeff, in a No Cure for the Paladin Blues bonus strip (the start of the Warthogs School of Magic scenes for the Linear Guild), is an outsider (looks like a four-armed fiend of some kind) who breaks the general "fiends have black background and coloured text" rule a bit - having red text on yellow background). Maybe the black background for fiends, is more for archfiends, that one pit fiend, and Qaar?

Another fiend with a similar red-on-yellow text-background colour combination - the hellhound, here:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0867.html

The red slaad here, has red text on pink background.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1147.html

The yugoloth (lobster-like fiend) has white text, pinkish-purple background

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0908.html

This was the main example of "aberration with coloured text and background" - the carrion crawlers.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html
    You can add the bearded devils summoned by Redcloak to deal with the resistance. None of these examples matches the pattern we are talking about, though. Dark colour on lighter shade of same colour has been exclusive to dragons and giants. These are all instances of dark colour on different light colour.

15. - Top - End - #285

It's true that the carrion crawlers' background is yellow rather than the same shade of green.

I'd say that the slaad, however, does sort of fit the "background is a lighter shade of the text" - pink is a lighter shade of red, after all.

You can add the bearded devils summoned by Redcloak to deal with the resistance.
    With two different "fiends from hell" both of which have the red-and-yellow combination, maybe that's the default for Baator now - red, yellow, or both? Qaar was red on black, Lee was yellow on black, and we have at least two red-on-yellows.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-12-01 at 11:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286

IMS, Not-Thad had dark blue on light blue as well.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    IMS, Not-Thad had dark blue on light blue as well.
    Is this Not-Thad? Looks like white on blue to me:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1163.html

18. - Top - End - #288

It's true that the carrion crawlers' background is yellow rather than the same shade of green.

I'd say that the slaad, however, does sort of fit the "background is a lighter shade of the text" - pink is a lighter shade of red, after all.
    That's certainly the best match of the lot, but I'm left unconvinced (we've seen red-on-red before, and it looked different). (What Large+ sized winged outsiders are there anyway?)

With two different "fiends from hell" both of which have the red-and-yellow combination, maybe that's the default for Baator now - red, yellow, or both? Qaar was red on black, Lee was yellow on black, and we have at least two red-on-yellows.
    Yup. Red-on-yellow seems to be a consistent pattern itself, but a different pattern nonetheless (I don't presume you wish to suggest that Green and Orange ar an erinys and a pit fiend).

19. - Top - End - #289

(What Large+ sized winged outsiders are there anyway?)
    Mostly devils - malebranche, horned devil, etc.

Yugoloths have one notable example - the nycaloth.

There's a few winged demons in Large size.

I'd speculate that green-on-green might also cover plant creatures. The treant in Start of Darkness spoke in grey-on-grey - but that was because the book was in greyscale, and I can believe that it would speak green-on-green in a colour strip.

20. - Top - End - #290

Mostly devils - malebranche, horned devil, etc.

Yugoloths have one notable example - the nycaloth.

There's a few winged demons in Large size.
    You guess it's the IFCC getting their followers' hands dirty? That would be an interesting possibility, although I'd still say we have stronger arguments for the Voices being (half-)dragons.

I'd speculate that green-on-green might also cover plant creatures. The treant in Start of Darkness spoke in grey-on-grey - but that was because the book was in greyscale, and I can believe that it would speak green-on-green in a colour strip.
    That's… That's just so absolutely unfair. Do you know how long I have waited for those poor green plant creatures to get some manner of actual representation instead of only getting cast here and there as disposable minions (which is also way unfair)? Congratulations. You've just found the one theory I really don't want to shoot down. Now I'll probably start seeing flying treants everywhere.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-12-01 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo.

21. - Top - End - #291

Maybe we should compare Giant coloured text bubbles to Dragon coloured text bubbles - do Giant ones tend to have darker text and lighter backgrounds on average?

Death Giant
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1081.html

Frost Giant
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1061.html

Red Dragon
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0719.html

Blue Half-Dragon
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0713.html

Mysterious characters abducting O-Chul and Lien
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1189.html

IMO the backgrounds on the mysterious characters are darker, closer to the dragon bubbles, than the giant bubbles, making part-dragon slightly more plausible than giant.

Dark colour on lighter shade of same colour has been exclusive to dragons and giants.
    And one intelligent flesh golem - Crystal:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0978.html

Her speech bubbles were generally a different shape though.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-12-01 at 12:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292

Maybe we should compare Giant coloured text bubbles to Dragon coloured text bubbles - do Giant ones tend to have darker text and lighter backgrounds on average?
    Definitely true for death giants. Frost vs. Enor, easy as it should be, is a bit less conclusive due to the differently coloured surroundings, but I think the frost bubbles are also lighter than the Enor bubbles.

IMO the backgrounds on the mysterious characters are darker, closer to the dragon bubbles, than the giant bubbles, making part-dragon slightly more plausible than giant.
    Don't forget the wind either. If it is indeed caused by wings, we may safely exclude giants.

And one intelligent flesh golem - Crystal:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0978.html

Her speech bubbles were generally a different shape though.
    Rright, but yeah, it is impossibele to mistake the Crystal bubbles for anything else.
    A more fit comparison can be made between the Voice bubbles and the bubbles Girard-the-Talking-Boobytrap is using, but then, Girard is of draconic ancestry.

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    But that would be pretty much definitionally working as intended. That's not a flaw in Kraagor's worldview as interpreted by Serini, it is pretty much what Kraagor would have approved of, as far as I can tell. There is also a difference between "what ultimately broke the gate", which is incidental and not a pattern I can see, versus what the deep flaw in the individual that allowed the gate to be destroyed. "Fire versus nature", ok, and "good but stupid not making great decisions", ok, but "Roy decided it was for the best while V was in Hell" does not in any way reflect Whats-his-face's over-reliance on family or anything else about his philosophy. Meanwhile "wizards are the superior spellcaster"/"a natural virus will depower anyone dangerous"/"only a paladin's honour is unbreakable"/"only family can be trusted" do form a pattern where each one encountered the one thing it couldn't face, despite their belief they had found the perfect defence.

Grey Wolf
    I’d argue that the legitimate destruction of Girard’s does fit that. Girard believe that only family could be trusted, the reason Roy decided to destroy it was because Elan’s family was dangerous.

Also the forest fire does have more than just it kills nature. The forest fire could only happen because Lirian‘s unwillingness to allow controlled burns so there was way too much tinder.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I’d argue that the legitimate destruction of Girard’s does fit that. Girard believe that only family could be trusted, the reason Roy decided to destroy it was because Elan’s family was dangerous.

Also the forest fire does have more than just it kills nature. The forest fire could only happen because Lirian‘s unwillingness to allow controlled burns so there was way too much tinder.
    I think you’re stretching a bit with the Lirian one. The family one does make sense though.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

No, it was because a local warlord, who incidentally happened to be the father of a member of Roy's party, was likely going to take it from them. But the family relationship was hardly central to the reason why Roy though he couldn't hold the place.

ETA: heck, not even that. Roy was confident they might be able to take own Tarquin. The key reason Roy gives to destroy the gate is that Xykon is on the way.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-12-01 at 01:21 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

I’d argue that the legitimate destruction of Girard’s does fit that. Girard believe that only family could be trusted, the reason Roy decided to destroy it was because Elan’s family was dangerous....
    I like this. But, I'd argue family was what got Girard's group killed---their insistence on only trusting family, and forcibly kidnapping children that resulted from their sexual relationships. Everyone was related by blood, which meant that everyone would die from Familicide. Relax that insistence even a little, and there'd be survivors to help defend the Gate.

What that means for subverting Serini's idea for how best to guard her Gate? I've no idea.

27. - Top - End - #297

I don't remember where we saw them. Aside from the slaad in the durkon death strip, at some point we saw a character with a moral conundrum, and he had little psychochomps come and consel him, an angel, a fiend, a slaad, and an inevitable, if I remember correctly.

I don't think these creatures are evil outsiders, at least not the big three fiends. I'm thinking more neutral outsiders, like inevitables, slaad, the gith, or anything similar (and not copyrighted).
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

28. - Top - End - #298

I don't remember where we saw them. Aside from the slaad in the durkon death strip, at some point we saw a character with a moral conundrum, and he had little psychochomps come and consel him, an angel, a fiend, a slaad, and an inevitable, if I remember correctly.
    That scene has an angel, a devil, a slaad and a modron, and it doesn't really help us.

I don't think these creatures are evil outsiders, at least not the big three fiends. I'm thinking more neutral outsiders, like inevitables, slaad, the gith, or anything similar (and not copyrighted).
    They are definitely not modrons, and almost certainly not slaads (one of them is larger and quite probably winged).

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Is this all leading to a reveal that Serini decided this was all for nothing and deliberately arranged for X to receive her diary so he could wittingly destroy everything her group achieved?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

So basically, the colour-on-lighter-shade-of-same-colour pattern has been seen so far on draconic creatures, giants, an illusion (though it might be Girard's individual magic effect) and a golem (with different bubble shape).

But not all draconic creatures have had this pattern since Black Dragon Mother and Boss Monster were white-on-colour. I'm not sure the Oracle counts here.

This makes the speech bubble pattern much less conclusive than what i thought.

I still have my money on draconic creatures, but now i won't be so surprised if i turn out wrong.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].