1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    your sig
    Pretty sure Sam K never read Sun Tzu.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #302
    Pixie in the Playground

Cool spell,

But why didn't V use it when they went into the caves against the vampires? Could have been useful.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Serini "I'll never train another party. I came to this gate to die. It's time for the order to end"

We meet her and she became a jaded hermit lol
    Last edited by ebarde; 2020-12-01 at 04:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Halfmoon View Post
    Cool spell,

But why didn't V use it when they went into the caves against the vampires? Could have been useful.
    Because they didn't have it/they didn't think of it/they didn't have a good moment to cast it/other.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #305

Yeah, "Not Memorized" is always a good reason for a wizard not busting out a spell with niche usage.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    ...the Holiday Ornament is up...
    Nod, get treat.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

If the trap/portal reverts after 20 seconds, is that going to leave half a neatly sliced skull, right on the trap line and giving the game up to TE?
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    While I'm can see it being something like thyme or rosemary or some indigenous herb, I think a strong pepper would be a bit of a giveaway. Especially if it is only in front of one door. "I don't smell any dwarves, just some strong spices in front of a single door that is in no way suspicious."
    I'm guessing you've never snorted a spice before. I once got cinnamon blown up my nose and let me tell you the only tactical information I'd have given afterwards is 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' and for days afterwards I avoided Starbucks.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I think you’re stretching a bit with the Lirian one. The family one does make sense though.
    This is from Redcloak’s words in Start of Darkness on the fire:
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show

It’s not my fault! If the druids didn’t put out the tiny bush fires that are apart of the forest’s natural cycle, there wouldn’t be so much dead growth waiting to burn.

Would’ve cited it earlier but my copy of SoD wasn’t on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I like this. But, I'd argue family was what got Girard's group killed---their insistence on only trusting family, and forcibly kidnapping children that resulted from their sexual relationships. Everyone was related by blood, which meant that everyone would die from Familicide. Relax that insistence even a little, and there'd be survivors to help defend the Gate.
    Yeah, that is the easier one, but I was specifically showing how the destructions matched up, not just them being taken.

However Grey Wolf does make a good point (I‘D be quoting him but I forgot and I’m too lazy to add it back) I would disagree on the front about the family relation not mattering, Girard thought he could only trust family, and Tarquin and Nale are another way to show trusting just your family is a bad idea, blood doesn’t define everything (and I highly doubt either of them would be coming after the gate if not for Elan). However, the better point is that Xykon was the core reason. I forgot that he was more focused on Xykon than Tarquin and Nale. I’d say that the family bit does still sort of play a role, the linear guild is still a factor, but yeah it’s weak (which is definitely related to the fact that this bit was the only thing I personally came up with).
    I could try to argue that V being taken out has something to do with their family, but both us and V know it didn’t really, and even then the connection is just “has something to do with family”. Any connection with Darth V and stuff already applies to familicide taking out the defenses anyway.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yeah, "Not Memorized" is always a good reason for a wizard not busting out a spell with niche usage.
    In fact, the experience with the vampires could have been excellent reason to make sure it was prepared this time, given they were going to intentionally surprise a lich and high level cleric.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Pretty sure Sam K never read Sun Tzu.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    If there is a joke there, i don't get it. And i read the Art of War (albeit a long time ago).
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

12. - Top - End - #312
    Pixie in the Playground

They didn't bother closing the red door they opened first in the previous strip. Where are their manners?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what you mean.
    If there is a joke there, i don't get it. And i read the Art of War (albeit a long time ago).
    It was a comment on that thing you have in your sig as a quote. It's rather at odds with Sun Tzu's observation that the acme of skill is to win the war without fighting, which is the opposite of the sound byte offered from that (rather lame) 3.5e thread.

(Had to write a few papers on Sun Tzu, Clausewitz, Mahan, Corbett, Mao, and Ho half of a life time ago).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-01 at 11:19 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    It's rather at odds with Sun Tzu's observation that the acme of skill is to win the war without fighting,
    This is indeed true.
    But would this be true in the context of a 3.5 game?
    And i don't mean in the context of a D&D world, but of a D&D game, where the whole point is to adventure and to fight.

Sam K's comment was about what Sun Tzu would say if, instead of writing the Art of War, he was writing the D&D 3.5 Player's Tactical Manual.

which is the opposite of the sound byte offered from that (rather lame) 3.5e thread.
    Why lame?
    At the time, this kind of issue of party members having a wide gap of power was sadly common, and a lot of DM were asking about it?

(Had to write a few papers on Sun Tzu, Clausewitz, Mahan, Corbett, Mao, and Ho half of a life time ago).
    For the navy?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-12-02 at 12:13 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Halfmoon View Post
    Cool spell,

At least one of the spawns got V with an negative level. That means they lost one of their highest spell slots, and since they already used two on Mind Blank it’s not impossible for the slot lost to be the Sunburst one.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I thought we were talking about Telepathic Bond, not Sunburst?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    I thought we were talking about Telepathic Bond, not Sunburst?
    Sorry, must have gotten confused with the discussion in another thread.

Also, I suppose V didn't think there was any reason to use Telepathic Bond in the Durkula fight. Actually, I don't see how it'd have helped.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Also, I suppose V didn't think there was any reason to use Telepathic Bond in the Durkula fight. Actually, I don't see how it'd have helped.
    I think the idea was that it would have been handy to have when they were surrounded by vampires and trapped in V's forcecage in the halls of Firmament. The vampires were able to counter their plans because they could, you know, hear them making them.

But of course, they had no reason to expect more than just the handful who had escaped from the Godsmoot, so it's not particularly surprising if V just didn't have the spell prepared.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    I think the idea was that it would have been handy to have when they were surrounded by vampires and trapped in V's forcecage in the halls of Firmament. The vampires were able to counter their plans because they could, you know, hear them making them.

But of course, they had no reason to expect more than just the handful who had escaped from the Godsmoot, so it's not particularly surprising if V just didn't have the spell prepared.
    I don't think it'd have changed that much either, to be honest. I mean maybe the spawn ambush, but that's about it.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #320

Lizardfolk

How does Telepathic Bond interact with dominated targets? Or is that not talked about?
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2020-12-02 at 07:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    How does Telepathic Bond interact with dominated targets? Or is that not talked about?
    No idea actually, but there's nothing that says it'd help with making the save or anything that'd likely translate into actual game mechanics.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That scene has an angel, a devil, a slaad and a modron, and it doesn't really help us.

They are definitely not modrons, and almost certainly not slaads (one of them is larger and quite probably winged).
    Ah, yes, early strip weirdness, as far as speech bubbles go.

Though Modrons do come back without speech color, Slaadi, on the other hand, come back with an adequate speech color. And Gray and Death slaadi both have the fly spell-like ability.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Ah, yes, early strip weirdness, as far as speech bubbles go.

Though Modrons do come back without speech color, Slaadi, on the other hand, come back with an adequate speech color. And Gray and Death slaadi both have the fly spell-like ability.
    Huh, I wonder why Modrons don't have colored speech bubbles?

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh, I wonder why Modrons don't have colored speech bubbles?
    They are fairly black and white beings after all.

Also their speech bubbles are rectangular which is distinct enough.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    They are fairly black and white beings after all.

Also their speech bubbles are rectangular which is distinct enough.
    Good catch.

To counter my own point, though, I have a hard time imagining slaadi using poison darts. And they lack any poison ranged attacks themselves.

This point also applies to dragons, though.

Also, looking at how they are grabbing both the paladins and their weapons, I have a hard time imagining medium sized creatures doing this.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

For the navy?
    JPME. Joint Professional Military Education. Yes. And I had to become quite knowlegeable on land and air warfare during that course of study. Did a staff ride/detailed camaign study of the Vicksburg campaign as a part of that ...

FWIW: I found that thread to be of little to no value - which might be influenced by the fact that I retired from D&D (as it turned out, for over a decade) early in the 3. 5 era. Took the books to a half-priced books store and sold them for a bit of beer money.

Back to this topic (sorry that the digression wasn't about Star Wars ) I finally "grokked" the 'change in floor color' detail from Roy. On the fourth read through of the strip.

As to the two invisible paladin carrying characters: they can fly / levitate. Might be one Big One and one Little One, with the Big One carrying both of the paladins.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-02 at 09:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Good catch.

To counter my own point, though, I have a hard time imagining slaadi using poison darts. And they lack any poison ranged attacks themselves.

This point also applies to dragons, though.

Also, looking at how they are grabbing both the paladins and their weapons, I have a hard time imagining medium sized creatures doing this.
    I have a hard time imagining a creature with only two "hands" holding them like that either, actually, now that I think of it.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #328

I have a hard time imagining a creature with only two "hands" holding them like that either, actually, now that I think of it.
    Same. Presumably at least large if it's grabbing with hands and feet (and thus sufficiently prehensile feet). Even larger if holding with many sets of hands. That dart doesn't look huge-sized, though.

Unless it's using some form of telekinesis on the weapons.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Same. Presumably at least large if it's grabbing with hands and feet (and thus sufficiently prehensile feet). Even larger if holding with many sets of hands. That dart doesn't look huge-sized, though.

Unless it's using some form of telekinesis on the weapons.
    It looks a bit like Green is the poisoner and Orange is the big one.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    the difference in floor colours makes it extremely likely that if you manage to bypass this trap you're entering a different pathway than if you trigger the trap.
    I totally missed the potential repercussions that floor color change could have. Goodness.