New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241

Default Re: OOTS #1220 - The Discussion Thread

Colored speech balloons also mean extraplanar (cf Qarr and the IFCC directors). And many outsiders can fly. Plus, we need something to tie back to Roy's Archon and its secret task.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Could Serini have left an outsider janitorial staff to run the Dungeon? Like, whatever the True Neutral outsiders are in 3.5?
    And if so, can we speculate on their binding oaths?

We will uphold the Defence of the Gate if we want to but its OK because most of the time we will.
    Do no Harm. Do no Heal either. Really we'd max at Cure/Inflict Moderate Wounds.
    Protect the world from evil and chaos, but only if you were going to do that anyway, if not, it's no bother.
    Lofty Ideals and Devious Schemes will be powerless against our Shrugs.
    Above all, remember our guiding Creed, 'eh, whatever'
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2020-11-30 at 04:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Being grabbed by one's head unexpectedly like Belkar was in the last panel has got to be painful, or at least very uncomfortable.

At least, I hope that's why Belkar has Schulz-patented eye-parentheses.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    The climatic fight forces the Order to begin the same ritual to seal the gates and its Belkar who sacrifices himself to save creation?

It could be the only way to defeat whatever safeguards Serini has requires one of the adventurer's to sacrifice themselves to gain access.

Well Belkar is fated to die, what if his sacrifice causes Serini to reveal herself after witnessing the same tragedy that cost Kraagor his life?
    What are the words on Kraagor's Statue? Sacrifice Forgotten

Even though Lirian had professed the sentiment that ... "your brave sacrifice will not be forgotten"
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-30 at 06:16 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    As I keep saying, they are most likely both dragons or half-dragons. It would explain the speech bubbles, the flight, the magic, the size of the creature carrying the paladins and (here's a new one I've just noticed) the wind.
    The main problem I have with both voices being dragons is that I have a hard time figuring how a dragon could manage to use a blowgun (which is what I assume those darts came from). That implies a creature with mammalian lips.

Good catch about the wind, though.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Being grabbed by one's head unexpectedly like Belkar was in the last panel has got to be painful, or at least very uncomfortable.

At least, I hope that's why Belkar has Schulz-patented eye-parentheses.
    Uncomfortable, probably. Remember that he wasn't particularly harmed by being hanged. Those marks can indicate surprised dismay. Another concern of his is probably that he hasn't finished the job of covering their trail.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Uncomfortable, probably. Remember that he wasn't particularly harmed by being hanged. Those marks can indicate surprised dismay. Another concern of his is probably that he hasn't finished the job of covering their trail.
    Bytheway, put me down as him laying down strong spices or peppers or something. For some reason I think he'll bring his chef specialization into it, incapacitate the warg's nose with the power of overwhelming flavor or something.

I like longshots.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #248

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Bytheway, put me down as him laying down strong spices or peppers or something. For some reason I think he'll bring his chef specialization into it, incapacitate the warg's nose with the power of overwhelming flavor or something.

I like longshots.
    I'd say that's the most likely scenario. I'm guessing chilli powder would be enough to mess up a wargs scent ability. It might be the backstory behind Belkar taking Profession (Gourmet Chef); he wanted to know where to access the strongest of dog incapacitants.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I like longshots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I'd say that's the most likely scenario. I'm guessing chilli powder would be enough to mess up a wargs scent ability. It might be the backstory behind Belkar taking Profession (Gourmet Chef); he wanted to know where to access the strongest of dog incapacitants.
    Yes. This. Totally this.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Could Serini have left an outsider janitorial staff to run the Dungeon? Like, whatever the True Neutral outsiders are in 3.5?

We will uphold the Defence of the Gate if we want to but its OK because most of the time we will.
    Protect the world from evil and chaos, but only if you were going to do that anyway, if not, it's no bother.
    I like this quite a lot. Posts like these keep me coming back to these threads, FWIW.

Lemme guess: the Janitors are between 40 and 55 years old? Meh, too much effort to do the math...

11. - Top - End - #251

The true neutral outsiders are called rilmani, they "preserve cosmic balance" by going to war with whoever is the most powerful at any given time.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Considering she was 'the kid' of the Scribble
    Dorukan was "the kid."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    As unlikely as it may be what if Belkar is related to Serini?

The climatic fight forces the Order to begin the same ritual to seal the gates and its Belkar who sacrifices himself to save creation?

It could be the only way to defeat whatever safeguards Serini has requires one of the adventurer's to sacrifice themselves to gain access.

Well Belkar is fated to die, what if his sacrifice causes Serini to reveal herself after witnessing the same tragedy that cost Kraagor his life?
    What would that add to or change about the story?

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    And one by one, they've fallen to irony:
    Lirian's fell to the nature it was protected by.

Dorukan's fell to good-hearted people being manipulated by an evil team.

Soon's fell to a fallen paladin trying to regain paladinhood by following in the most honorable paladin's footsteps.

Girard's fell to someone outside his enclave seeing right through his deception after they were slaughtered by someone that had no idea they existed.

So, the question is, how will/would Serini's Gate fall?
    And to this point, Dorukan believed in wizard supremacy and was felled by a sorcerer; Girard only trusted family to guard his gate and was felled by a spell that targeted people through blood relations.

Well, Belkar also just seems to love food and cooking, and with his halfling heightened senses, that makes sense.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2020-11-30 at 10:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

And Lirian was slain by an unnatural being(that is, a lich).

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    And Lirian was slain by an unnatural being(that is, a lich).
    So if each was beat by their antithesis, the one thing they regarded as too weak to bother to protect against (sorcerers with quantity over quality; dishonourable paladins; undead; something targeting a whole family at once), what would Serini's big downfall be? Her inability to settle down and defend the place herself?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    So if each was beat by their antithesis, the one thing they regarded as too weak to bother to protect against (sorcerers with quantity over quality; dishonourable paladins; undead; something targeting a whole family at once), what would Serini's big downfall be? Her inability to settle down and defend the place herself?
    Considering that the tomb is built to honour Kraagor but is also built by an epic-level rogue in Serini, I've got to wonder, what is the simultaneous antithesis of both (1) physical strength and superiority and (2) subterfuge and guile?

I don't have any easy answer to that. Possibly the antithesis of a sole guardian who proposed that her party split up ... is another party working in concert and teamwork (for once). Team Evil is too fractious and has too many competing egos and agendas, while the Order actually pulls together and values one another.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Another argument against there being two dragons: Green voice says "Grab them before one of the bugbears spots us."
    If each paladin was being carried by an invisible dragon, why not one apiece? Then it would be "Grab ONE before one of the bugbears spots us."
    The implication is that orange voice is carrying both paladins.

17. - Top - End - #257

I like longshots.
    Maybe. I think he's at least as likely to be laying down a sprinkling of cocaine. There's that numbing effect, but if the "sniffer" keeps trying, it's disabling.

He could be doing both, in patches, of course. Just to make things more difficult.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGee View Post
    Another argument against there being two dragons: Green voice says "Grab them before one of the bugbears spots us."
    If each paladin was being carried by an invisible dragon, why not one apiece? Then it would be "Grab ONE before one of the bugbears spots us."
    The implication is that orange voice is carrying both paladins.
    Well, there's also the detail of Dragon vs some bugbears. That fight's only going to go one way.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, I got confused and thought that Orange was the "Boss" and not Green. Hmm.

I don't think we've ever seen fey before in the comic, so it'd be cool to see some.

Also if they are on Team Tiamat then Green is probably a green dragon(surprising, I know) and I dunno what Orange is then because I don't think that fits any of the chromatic dragons.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Colossus in the Playground

Dragon Magazine's Dragon Compendium book had an orange dragon.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #261

HalflingRogueGuy

what would Serini's big downfall be? Her inability to settle down and defend the place herself?
    Her inability to keep the party working together.

Her dungeon falls to the one thing she doesn’t believe in anymore - a well-balanced party that gets along and work together toward a common goal.

Edit: Necrocomicon said it first
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-12-01 at 01:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I like longshots.
    While I'm can see it being something like thyme or rosemary or some indigenous herb, I think a strong pepper would be a bit of a giveaway. Especially if it is only in front of one door. "I don't smell any dwarves, just some strong spices in front of a single door that is in no way suspicious."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    While I'm can see it being something like thyme or rosemary or some indigenous herb, I think a strong pepper would be a bit of a giveaway. Especially if it is only in front of one door. "I don't smell any dwarves, just some strong spices in front of a single door that is in no way suspicious."
    Belkar probably sprinkled them in front of several doors, if that powder wasn't some kind of magic dust that removes tracks or something.

Actually I think there's an item for that but I forget what it's called. Don't think it's a Core item though.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The title of this comic: "Think So" could be the answer to the 2 questions Roy asks
    "Is that a dead rat head?"

Think So.

"huh - Did the floor just change colour?"

Think So.

So I guess the runes were an always- on teleporter field?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenfunkman View Post
    The title of this comic: "Think So" could be the answer to the 2 questions Roy asks
    "Is that a dead rat head?"

Think So.

"huh - Did the floor just change colour?"

Think So.

So I guess the runes were an always- on teleporter field?
    I'm pretty sure at least half the joke is about the Telepathic Bond.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe. I think he's at least as likely to be laying down a sprinkling of cocaine. There's that numbing effect, but if the "sniffer" keeps trying, it's disabling.

He could be doing both, in patches, of course. Just to make things more difficult.
    Hmm... well, I don't know if cocaine exists in the OOTS-verse, but "halfling pipeweed" certainly does...

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

On further thought: they've left a clear trail to the first door they entered, and a partially-obscured trail from there to this one. Which muddies the water considerably: what level of bluff are they playing? Did they really double back? Did they choose some other route altogether?

I don't suppose there's any magic along the lines of "scry the recent history of a location", AKA "video surveillance"?

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post

Not that it being a reasonable place to find a bird has always helped poor Blackwing...

I thought I remembered there being a spell for this, but I can't seem to find it it the online SRD. Might be a 2rd edition thing, might not be in the SRD, might be cross-pollination from GURPS, might be that it just has a non-intuitive name, but I'll look more later if no one else finds one.
    Hindsight is exactly that. 6th level Divination spell for Bards, or 9th for Sorc/Wiz. You get audio too.
    It's from Complete Adventurer (p. 151), though it got updated in Spell Compendium (p. 114). Not much change though; just some additional clarification/examples.

From Core there's Legend Lore/Vision, but those only work for legendary events ("legends").

Contact Other Plane/Commune can sort of work too indirectly, by playing 20 Questions and applying deduction. Not exactly psychometry though.

Speaking of psychometry... Clarsentience powers also has a few tricks. There's Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions (Seer 2), though it only gives very vague, "shadowy" visions. Then there's Psychometry (Seer 6) from Complete Psionic, which is basically, well... textbook psychometry. It's similar to Hindsight but is "video" only.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2020-12-01 at 04:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's fairly typical of wizards to have one, especially when they have a bunch of minions to order about like Dorukan did. But if you don't think he was the type, I offered alternatives. Here is another: it was his lab.
    Works for me. (Although Korvin's idea isn't bad either.)

The self-dstruct run was next to the door. Xykon didn't install it.
    Good point.

If the gates need maintenance, they all need maintenace, and thus they all need to be accessible.
    But then again, Girard's Gate was not immediately accessible, while for all we know, Dorukan and Lirian (who kept in touch) could have left their Gates exposed so that they can destroy them as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Technically, there're the Draconic and Dragonborn templates, but they don't change the creature type, so they shouldn't give draconic speech bubbles. And they are not SRD.
    There are other draconic creatures in the other monster manuals, but not SRD.
    In the SRD, the only draconic creatures are true dragons, dragon-turtle, dragonne and half-dragon.
    Dragons-Turtles can't fly, and dragonnes are not very intelligent, and i don't think they have prehensile hands.
    The half-dragon templates, though, can be applied to basically anything, so that leave a lot of possibilities.
    We also have pseudodragons (too small) and wywerns (too few limbs). And yes, there's a fair chance one of the two can be a half-dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGee View Post
    The main problem I have with both voices being dragons is that I have a hard time figuring how a dragon could manage to use a blowgun (which is what I assume those darts came from). That implies a creature with mammalian lips.
    How 'bout a half-dragon with a somewhat less draconic head than Enor's? Damn things come in all shapes and sizes.

Also if they are on Team Tiamat then Green is probably a green dragon(surprising, I know) and I dunno what Orange is then because I don't think that fits any of the chromatic dragons.
    Orange dragon sounds good to me, but there's also the thing that if a black dragon can speak in purple, I'd say a red dragon can speak in orange.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-12-01 at 05:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Orange dragon sounds good to me, but there's also the thing that if a black dragon can speak in purple, I'd say a red dragon can speak in orange.
    Yeah, about that...

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Firbolg in the Playground

I know that. It's half the reason why I believe these must be dragon bubbles. However, I also know that Enor and the Boss Monster had different speech bubbles even though they were both blues, so I believe there's some room for variation. And were I to be wrong, we still have the orange ones, right?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-12-01 at 06:07 AM.