New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Setting based on pre-industrial mumbai (maybe with some early low-steampunk)

I'm an American who has never been to India, much less Mumbai, but I'd like to get away from the traditional Eurocentric setting I tend to play in. Mumbai is the first place I think of when I think of "far away and exotic". What are some setting ideas I could do to bring in this flavor?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Setting based on pre-industrial mumbai (maybe with some early low-steampunk)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I'm an American who has never been to India, much less Mumbai, but I'd like to get away from the traditional Eurocentric setting I tend to play in. Mumbai is the first place I think of when I think of "far away and exotic". What are some setting ideas I could do to bring in this flavor?
    What do you know about pre-industrial Mumbai and what do you want in your setting?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Setting based on pre-industrial mumbai (maybe with some early low-steampunk)

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    What do you know about pre-industrial Mumbai and what do you want in your setting?
    Styles of dress, cultural flavor, archetecture, climate, and other interesting bits of culture. I'd also be interested in reskinning some classes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

when it comes to creating settings built around cultures you're not familiar with, the most important thing to do is to do your research. as dnd is a fantasy game, you're going to want historical and religious context to figure out what fits and what doesn't. Granted, the demands are much lower if you're reserving this for a small group of friends who won't take offense at cultural ignorance, but all the same, doing your own research can lead to better ideas than the uninformed opinions of people like me, and understanding the cultural context behind the setting will show you where and how you can bend that context to tell a cooler story.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah, research. even if you don't stay true to reality, you'll end up with good inspiration for your own ideas & flavor. have fun, sounds like a good setting!