New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What do artificers need?

I've never played around an artificer before, and my next campaign (starts in 2 weeks, level 13) has a player who's building an artificer.
    As far as I can tell, there's no artificer-specific gear, and they don't really need anything at all to contribute and do their thing... not like a wizard (scrolls), bard (instrument), or martial (suitable gear).

Is that correct?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What do artificers need?

I would say that it depends on the type of artificer. It would be difficult to play an armorer without armor. There is a lot that they can do themselves though and not depend on the DM giving out the right gear for a build.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kinda, but not really. Artificers don't really need items outside of the +3 powerup after 17th level. but they do play better if you give them downtime or weaker magic items. generally, they just need a lot of downtime but giving them the weaker magic items also helps. because their big and powerful magic items are covered by their class you can give them items like Wonderus figurines and it will help them more than other party members because they aren't losing out on powerful items. also, remember that eventually, they ignore magic item restrictions so at higher levels they may start fighting over other spellcasters loot like robes of the archmage.

But in general, give them plenty of downtime and some of the interesting magic items and they should be fine.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thematically artificers are all about magic items (and constructs), they are good at using them and good at making them.

Beyond level 10 they are quite spectacularly good at making both common and uncommon magic items. In a typical 10 day downtime between adventures a wizard can get half-way to making an uncommon item - the level 10+ artificer has already made two such items in that time.

At tier-3 this is quite a distinctive feature of artificers, along with their ability to attune more of them than other classes. It is also to a large extent what makes up for the relative weakness of their magic at these levels, they lack those big punchy high level spells but they probably have a bagful of little magics which they can pull out on demand.

The only artificer-specific magic item of note is the All-purpose Tool. Assuming the artificer has ever had a few spare days and a couple of hundred spare gold pieces they should always have this item. It is really that good for them even if only the +1 item which they can easily make.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

As an Artificer I appreciate +3 armor, shields and weapons because I cannot make those myself and it frees up my infusion slots for other things.

Finding or having the time to craft Wands of Magic Missiles for my Homunculus is also appreciated.

at level 14 with magical savant anything is potentially worth my time as an Artificer as I no longer have class restrictions. Rolling on the treasure tables and seeing what works with Artificers would be its own reward for me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you're looking to give them things they'd appreciate then I'd take a look at the Replicate Magic Item table and think of things that they can't create themselves, especially that require attunement as part of their core design space is dedicated to expanded attunement slots.

It does matter what subclass they choose though, once we know that we can be more specific in our help.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This one's an Armorer. I'm fairly generous with magic items (everyone is getting an extra attunement slot too).

I did add one custom item, although the party doesn't have a huge chance of finding it because it's off in a corner of the map:

Integrated Jumpjuets
    Rare, requires attunement by an artificer
    These strange streamlined ducts attach to the shoulders and calves of a suit of medium or heavy armor in a process taking one hour, during which the wearer attunes to them. While worn and attuned, the user can expend a spell slot as an action to gain a fly speed equal to his land speed for a duration equal to 1 minute per level of the spell slot expended.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Downtime and means of finding recipes for magical items.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

He's been warned that downtime may not be readily available. They are under a strategic time crunch.
    Looks like he can imitate a bunch of utility items, though.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

I really suggest downtime in some way. if not stories base down time an AL like down time, where players get down time just for playing.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

11. - Top - End - #11

Maybe some form of additional infusions. Let them pick what stuff they want feels spot on for the class flavor.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amdy_vill View Post
    I really suggest downtime in some way. if not stories base down time an AL like down time, where players get down time just for playing.
    The party has about a year to stop a malevolent deity from collecting enough power (via sentient sacrifices en masse) from manifesting on the Prime Material Plane. If they choose to stop and sit still for four weeks, that's going to cost them.

He's been given the heads-up, and he may also be able to get in a few hours a day of crafting time in their flying boat.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The party has about a year to stop a malevolent deity from collecting enough power (via sentient sacrifices en masse) from manifesting on the Prime Material Plane. If they choose to stop and sit still for four weeks, that's going to cost them.

He's been given the heads-up, and he may also be able to get in a few hours a day of crafting time in their flying boat.
    For reference a lv 10+ artificer can make a lv one spell scroll in 2 hours and a common magic item in less than 16 hours of work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Not needed, but there's a very nice set of tools in the new Tasha book that gives +1-3 to spell attack and save DCs,lets them pick up a bonus cantrip known for 8 hours off any list, and works as an anytool.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

BardGuy

Integrated Jumpjuets
    These strange streamlined ducts attach to the shoulders and calves of a suit of medium or heavy armor in a process taking one hour, during which the wearer attunes to them. While worn and attuned, the user can expend a spell slot as an action to gain a fly speed equal to his land speed for a duration equal to 1 minute per level of the spell slot expended.
    This is going to be pretty much useless at level 9 and completely useless at level 10.

That said, artificers don't really need that much of anything. But they usually appreciate it when the DM isn't too strict when it comes to what kind of magic items they are allowed to craft. As long as you let them do what they want (within reasonable limits, of course) you really shouldn't have any problems. :)

16. - Top - End - #16

RangerGuy

This one's an Armorer. I'm fairly generous with magic items (everyone is getting an extra attunement slot too).

I did add one custom item, although the party doesn't have a huge chance of finding it because it's off in a corner of the map:

Integrated Jumpjuets
    Those seem like a nice enough re-skin of winged boots, nothing really special for an artificer who can infuse those anyway from level 10+. Although burning spell slots instead of just having it for 4 hours per day does seem like a pretty serious downgrade from the standard item.

If you are giving out magic items I would seriously work with the artificer player. Give them a number of items just as you do to everyone else and then for common and uncommon ones let them choose to have the same amount again but of their choosing. That would reflect their superior crafting ability which is a very significant part of what lets the class keep up in tier 3 play. Alternatively you could let them have some minor constructs instead of magic items - like an animated sword for example. Once you are in play try to ensure that they have sufficient downtime to make more items as the needs arise and in response to what they see and future threats, again this ability and the flexibility to do it 4 times faster than anyone else is part of what lets the class keep up at these levels.

If they are an armorer then obviously they need really good armor. At these levels just give them whatever armor they want, possibly two suits as there can actually be uses for more sneaky medium armor in some situations while you want plate for heavy combats.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Oh darn, I didn't realize Winged Boots weren't limited to just a few minutes per day.

Take away the spell slot use, and add the ability to dash as a bonus action?
    Cap it at PBx2 at a time to prevent full-time free flight?
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-11-28 at 09:53 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I would be very careful, Artificer is not a super powerhouse class and you're implementing a few things that are going to scale back its contribution. Giving everyone additional attunement slots means the artificer's features that add more are less impactful. You're limiting downtime, which is fair given the campaign, but if you do that then I would suggest that you also scale down the amount of time it would take to make items, so they can craft things more efficiently on the go.

Depending on how monty haul you want your campaign to be, you may also want to consider allowing more powerful Replicate Magic Item options. Speaking from experience, it doesn't feel good when your DM is handing out powerful magic items, and you're sitting back going, "And who wants a +1?"
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    For reference a lv 10+ artificer can make a lv one spell scroll in 2 hours and a common magic item in less than 16 hours of work.
    Yeah, after level 10 your artificer definitley has time to make stuff without worrying too much about downtime cutting into saving the world. If they stop in a town for a day he can wack out a few helpful things. Personally what I do is allow artificers to split up work time. Normal magic item crafting says you can't stop or take a break, but I've found that letting your artificer work on their projects in bursts can be fun and helpful without ruining balance.
    As for things they need, it depends from artificer to artificer but I've often found scrolls, potions, and wands with a finite number of charges are great items for the artificer, give them a few scrolls in their loot to act as backups, and hand them out a bit more sense their consumable.
    Another thing that's good to do is introduce things that could make awesome magic items, describe the abilities of monsters like a creature whose hide allows to to become invisible, or a horn that releases a burst of flame, and then let them harvest it and start working on a magic item. Giving them crafting ideas keeps them engaged, since most people go into artificer to create. May be it's different for yours but this is just my experience. By the end of my game my alchemist artificer was distilling a device that shot clouds of grung blood as a mist to poison foes and had some awesome equipment crafted from dead elemental creatures, all his own ideas built off the enemies he killed and other little bits and bobs I included that could be interesting.
    Another thing you can do is give them some of the stranger things on the trinkets table to look over, work with, or perhaps discover that they're magical. Could be fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Revised Integrated jumpjets:

These strange streamlined ducts attach to the shoulders and calves of a suit of medium or heavy armor in a process taking one hour, during which the wearer attunes to them. While worn and attuned, the user can expend a spell slot as an action to gain a fly speed equal 20’ per level of the spell expended, for a duration of 1 hour.

Winged Boots are still 30', but if an artificer needs some mobility, they can kick in a high-level slot and go 80' to 100' per round.

I feel like that's suitably Iron Mannish.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

BardGuy

Revised Integrated jumpjets:

These strange streamlined ducts attach to the shoulders and calves of a suit of medium or heavy armor in a process taking one hour, during which the wearer attunes to them. While worn and attuned, the user can expend a spell slot as an action to gain a fly speed equal 20’ per level of the spell expended, for a duration of 1 hour.

Winged Boots are still 30', but if an artificer needs some mobility, they can kick in a high-level slot and go 80' to 100' per round.

I feel like that's suitably Iron Mannish.
    Still worse than just using the fly spell, since it takes an attunement slot. I'd skip the spell slots requirement (which is also weird if a high level thief wants to use it) and, depending on if you want to go for regular flying or more of a temporary super-boost to mobility either give it 1D4 charges per day, each charge allows for 80 feet of flying, say a minute, OR give the wearer a flight speed of 40 feet for a total maximum of one hour per day, no dashing allowed. Changes it up a bit from Winged Boots and the Fly spell.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Magic items that can save an infusion is always welcome for an Artificer.
    Most of them I saw take Bag of holding for utility in the early levels and a +1 armour infusion.
    Give stuff like it to them let them use other infusions without sacrificing defence and utility.

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

Tools. They're not as great without tools.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re:

What do artificers need?
    Nothing.
    What they want/desire they can manufacture.

Let the magic items fall as they may, thematically, for the setting and adventure you have in mind.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-01 at 12:01 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Downtime and means of finding recipes for magical items.
    And coffee. Lots of coffee.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. Cohort is great, but cohort that failed to give you extra action is garbage. All those "only attack once when you spend bonus action" cohort are prettey bad. Allow cohort to attack without command would be a huge buff and allow artificer to pick PAW, more like "construct cohort" style artificers in 3r

2. Artificer can't make powerful item in 5e, their enchantment are almost useless after lv10 when most players get magic armor/weapon/filled 3 equiment limit. If they could create one "any rare item(staff of power)" or one "any legendary item" in certain level, thing would be much better.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shipiaozi View Post
    1. Cohort is great, but cohort that failed to give you extra action is garbage. All those "only attack once when you spend bonus action" cohort are prettey bad. Allow cohort to attack without command would be a huge buff and allow artificer to pick PAW, more like "construct cohort" style artificers in 3r

2. Artificer can't make powerful item in 5e, their enchantment are almost useless after lv10 when most players get magic armor/weapon/filled 3 equiment limit. If they could create one "any rare item(staff of power)" or one "any legendary item" in certain level, thing would be much better.
    Uhm, I wouldn't call stuff like Amulet of Health, Winged boots, Headband of Intellect or Braces of Defence "almost useless". Especially considering that at level 10 they can attune to four magic items. Oh, the Amulet of Health (and a bunch of other items they can make) are actually rare.

28. - Top - End - #28

GreenSorcererElf

Items that return spell slots (Pearl of Power) or can replicate spells without costing a spell slot.

They're half casters, so they don't have as many slots as full casters, but at least two of the subclasses feel much more like a full caster when played.

But also, an artificer is a good character to use all the random weird magic items that players don't normally have on their wishlists because they need a Staff of Power or a Vorpal Sword or whatever.

Things like an Immovable Rod, Figurines of Wondrous Power, Marvelous Pigments, Alchemy Jugs, that kind of thing. An Artificer is a magical engineer, give them lots of ways to solve problems with creativity.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Droppeddead View Post
    Uhm, I wouldn't call stuff like Amulet of Health, Winged boots, Headband of Intellect or Braces of Defence "almost useless". Especially considering that at level 10 they can attune to four magic items. Oh, the Amulet of Health (and a bunch of other items they can make) are actually rare.
    Amulet of Health/Headband of Intellect worth 1 feat(a good uncommon or acceptable rare) if user have 14con/int, Winged boots/Braces of Defence are much worse, a level 10 character probably would have no worse item than them.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shipiaozi View Post
    Amulet of Health/Headband of Intellect worth 1 feat(a good uncommon or acceptable rare) if user have 14con/int, Winged boots/Braces of Defence are much worse, a level 10 character probably would have no worse item than them.
    Not sure what you are trying to say because of the horrendous grammar but if you have 14 in Int or Con you need to spend two ASIs, each, to get them to the same level as the Headband or Amulet. You also asked for Rare items and I gave you multiple examples of rare items that the Artificer can make. Add to that the fact that there is no guarantee that you will get those particular magic items. If you play an Artificer, you can make them yourself.