New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Closed Account

Default Defeating several times the same monster brings XP?

There's a bulky russian wrestler who trains by fighting with huge siberian bears. But he doesn't kill them, he limits himself to subduing, blocking and / or tiring them. They do their best to rip him into pieces , however.

Should he gain full XP even if he don't kill?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Defeating several times the same monster brings XP?

XP and character progression by XP is a metagame construct. It has nothing to do with killing. The system is a way of modelling (player controlled) character progression by overcoming challenges. Nothing more, nothing less.

You russian wrestler trains fighting against bears. At the table you'll do this procedure probably no more then one time. If the bears are a challenge, he will get XP.

Seeing that doing such a fight over and over again is not a very realistic gaming situation (doing the same thing is rather boring; also, what are the other players doing in the meantime?), further training fights will become part of the background fluff.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Defeating the same monster multiple times brings extra xp only if you need to for your quest.
    If you do not try to avoid having to fight multiple times the same monster it means you were taking a roundabout way to your quest and that you probably did not need to defeat the same monster multiple times: you should at least try to make so you do not have to fight the same monster multiple times(for example capture them and throw them in a redeemery)

That wrestler activity is training and so should not bring xp in dnd 3e.
    If you were playing ad&d that wrestler would probably gain xp from that training at the same rate as when using trainings of similar cost and I still consider it is a mystery dnd 3e removed gaining xp from training which was a way to turn downtime and gold in xp so that everyone could benefit from downtime.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-11-28 at 07:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Closed Account

So, Zangief didn't got so much xp.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

If the wrestler is a PC, subduing the bears would get him XP unless he was so strong that it wasn't a challenge.

If the wrestler is an NPC, he wouldn't get XP, because NPCs don't get XP.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Of course. The bears are trying to kill him. He is overcoming that challenge by subduing them. He will keeping getting exp until he levels up enough that the CR of the bear isnt high enough to award exp anymore.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

As others have noted XPs are a metagame concept. You get XP whenever DM wants, in fact quite a few DMs on this forum said they don't use XP for fights at all and just give a big chunk whenever some milestone is reached (akin to the quests in CRPG, but unlike CRPG DM can adapt to awesomeness displayed or goals set out by players themselves).

My default assumption would be yes if organically, no if intentionally (So Zangief doesn't get XP, but Batman does), but it's my assumption.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2020-11-28 at 03:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    If the wrestler is an NPC, he wouldn't get XP, because NPCs don't get XP.
    Citation needed?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Citation needed?
    The rules don't explicitly say that NPCs don't earn XP. However, I believe that to be the most straightforward interpretation of the rules for calculating XP awards on pages 37 to 41 of the DMG, which use the terms "PC" and "character" interchangabley. To me, that seems to mean these rules are only intended to apply to PCs.

EDIT: Actually, the above is wrong. The rules for XP awards use "PC" in examples, guidelines, and statements of intent; all the hard-and-fast rules, however, use "characters". Thus, the rules can be applied to NPCs as well as PCs without difficulty. So my earlier statement is wrong, and NPCs can earn XP.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2020-11-28 at 10:03 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The rules don't explicitly say that NPCs don't earn XP. However, I believe that to be the most straightforward interpretation of the rules for calculating XP awards on pages 37 to 41 of the DMG, which use the terms "PC" and "character" interchangabley. To me, that seems to mean these rules are only intended to apply to PCs.

EDIT: Actually, the above is wrong. The rules for XP awards use "PC" in examples, guidelines, and statements of intent; all the hard-and-fast rules, however, use "characters". Thus, the rules can be applied to NPCs as well as PCs without difficulty. So my earlier statement is wrong, and NPCs can earn XP.
    So there's actually two categories of NPCs: Allies (which include cohorts) and hirelings. Allies are effectively fully fledged characters in their own right, who have agency and character, wheras hirelings are level 1 plebs who simply do as they're told. Allies gain xp and expect a share of the loot as a fully fledged member of the party (cohorts only expect half a share, and instead gain a proportion of their master's xp), while hirelings are paid a wage by the party and gain no xp.

So it depends on which kind of NPC you're referring to, but NPCs can gain xp.

(Source: p104-105 of the DMG)
    Last edited by Crake; 2020-11-28 at 11:22 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.