New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Serini's diary, some fridge logic

Follow me, here.

Serini trusted enough that no one could have access to her diary and decrypt it, so much that she put the locations of all the gates on it[1].

But, even trusting her diary so much to put the whole multiverse in danger by simply stating the location of the gates[2], in her own diary she didn't explain her inner thoughts which brought her to build the tomb the way it is (which would practically explain its defenses), which (your inner thoughts) is what is the main thing you'll put in a diary.
    Sounds quite contradictory.

[1] Either that or she thought: "well, who cares about if someone else finds the other gates?"
    [2] If team Evil didn't spectacularly fail every single time before, the Plan would be completed already. And the DO actually doesn't wants to end the multiverse, true. But another creature -a woobie destroyer of worlds- could wish to do so.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2020-11-28 at 08:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Serini's diary, some fridge logic

The most likely explanation is that she dtopped writing her diary some time after Kraagor died and before she really got to nuilding her defenses.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

She did put her inner thoughts in the diary. In the page we saw, she commented on Dorukan ejng in love with Lirian and drew hearts next to Girard's picture. For Kragoor's Tomb, she could have written that she decided to honor her friend, whose sacrifice was going to be erased from history, by making a dungeon filled with strong monsters since he valued strength over everything and that would have expressed her feelings perfectly, without the need to give a detailed description of how the dungeon works.

4. - Top - End - #4

However, being Serini a chaotic rogue, she could also have written some lies in her own diary, if she wanted to or if she expected it to be found by evil guys. Maybe reading it you think that you should act in some way to unlock the gate, but there is something hidden that will defend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    However, being Serini a chaotic rogue, she could also have written some lies in her own diary, if she wanted to or if she expected it to be found by evil guys. Maybe reading it you think that you should act in some way to unlock the gate, but there is something hidden that will defend it.
    Since the most crucial details (i.e. the exact coordinates of each Gate) were included (no lies, no misleading red herrings, no trickery), I am somewhat skeptical about that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The only page of the diary we've seen, if I'm not mistaken, was written during the adventure, while they were just sealing the gates. It might not include the details of how they built the fortresses, Xykon might have simply deduced that from the fact that they'd already seen two such fortresses when he said that. There might very well be a diary that includes the details of Kraagor's gate (especially if she needed to entrust it's care to someone after her death), but it's separate from the book Xykon found.

Xykon was also only able to find the location of one gate when decrypting it the first time. They had to go back and decrypt the other three after failing at Dorukon's gate. Which means it might also just be a matter of Xykon and Redcloak not having bothered to decrpyt that passage once they had the remaining gate locations, especially since the first two gates they arrived at were fairly simple in their defense. They might not have realized there's a twist to Serini's plan, since they haven't run into any before.

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

Serini probably wanted there to be a way for someone to find the gates, in the incredibly likely event there needed to be some adventures to save the world centered on the gates. The unlikely heroes would need some way to find them.

She encrypted them as a security measure to prevent a casual perusal by someone evil from recovering the coordinates, but ultimately that’s a risk you have to take when dealing with this sort of the end of the world stuff.

It’s not like there was an organization she trusted to carry the secret in perpetuity without becoming corrupt.
    I consider myself an author first, a GM second and a player third.

The three skill-sets are only tangentially related.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    The only page of the diary we've seen, if I'm not mistaken, was written during the adventure, while they were just sealing the gates. It might not include the details of how they built the fortresses, Xykon might have simply deduced that from the fact that they'd already seen two such fortresses when he said that. There might very well be a diary that includes the details of Kraagor's gate (especially if she needed to entrust it's care to someone after her death), but it's separate from the book Xykon found.

Xykon was also only able to find the location of one gate when decrypting it the first time. They had to go back and decrypt the other three after failing at Dorukon's gate. Which means it might also just be a matter of Xykon and Redcloak not having bothered to decrpyt that passage once they had the remaining gate locations, especially since the first two gates they arrived at were fairly simple in their defense. They might not have realized there's a twist to Serini's plan, since they haven't run into any before.
    The thing is, we know much of the diary is probably not encrypted, so Team Evil had reason to believe that whatever that is should be important, so I would not assume any information of that sort was left alone and unnoticed.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Do we know where Xykon found the diary?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

No, we do not. This has led to some speculation regarding wether Xykon killed her or not.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #11

Lizardfolk

Do we know the diary is encrypted in the cipher sense? My Headcanon was that Serini's diary documented her journey, and if you knew certain landmarks or starting points, you could discern the end locations (which Xykon did because he knew where Lirians gate was). I can't remember if there's a strip/print page where the code is discussed in detail, so I don't know if there's anything to refute this.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You can't work coordinates out of descriptions.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There's also the matter that the general location of Soon's Gate would be obvious from the briefest of descriptions rather than coordinates--"It's in Azure City".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The most likely explanation is that she dtopped writing her diary some time after Kraagor died and before she really got to nuilding her defenses.
    Or she continued, but she run out of pages somewhere between Kraagor's death and the arrival of the contruction crew, started a new diary book, and Xykon only has the first of the two.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #15

At this point this is the most working explanation, I think.

Even if now I don't remember if the "the dungeon will have strong monsters" is from her diary, but, if it is, the whole thing sounds quite a lucky coincidence (it means that she had a second thought about the defenses exactly after she stopped to write her diary).

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    She did put her inner thoughts in the diary. In the page we saw, she commented on Dorukan ejng in love with Lirian and drew hearts next to Girard's picture. For Kragoor's Tomb, she could have written that she decided to honor her friend, whose sacrifice was going to be erased from history, by making a dungeon filled with strong monsters since he valued strength over everything and that would have expressed her feelings perfectly, without the need to give a detailed description of how the dungeon works.
    Granted, you don't put a blueprint in the diary, but the reasoning yes.

"I will honor my friend creating a dungeon with strong monsters. Even though I want to be ultra safe and I will add some typical rogueish trap, blocking the access to the ones who use exclusively brute force. Tee-hee"

This is exactly the kind of reasoning you write down in a diary.

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    As I explained, writing down the coordinates of the other gates in the diary and then lying about her own dungeon makes no sense. At least if she wasn't the kind of person "screw them, just let make safe only my own dungeon."

Even more if one thinks that hiding some coordinates is incredibly simply: you double them, writing a couple on the diary and a couple in another place (like a medallion or a box you hide under a tree in the garden) so that you can find the true coordinates only summing the couples.

gate 1: diary 1: 20 North, 120 East; medallion/box 1: -50, 30 (true coordinates 30 South, 150 East)

That way not only if one doesn't get both the couples he can't find the place, but if one gets his dirty hands only on the diary, he will end up in a totally random place, finding nothing and, since he doesn't know about the trick, will probably think that the diary is just full of made up stories.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2020-11-30 at 08:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

EvilClericGuy

Even before we get into alignments not being a straitjacket (consider how differently Roy and Durkon, two characters with the exact same alignment, approach problems) - there's also no evidence that Serini was chaotic.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    Even if now I don't remember if the "the dungeon will have strong monsters" is from her diary, but, if it is, the whole thing sounds quite a lucky coincidence (it means that she had a second thought about the defenses exactly after she stopped to write her diary).
    The description of her dungeon came from Shojo. As far as we know Xykon and Redcloak have no idea about how the gates were being guarded. They just know who's guarding each one. Xykon didn't know that the sapphire held the actual gate until Ochul went to destroy it, and he didn't seem to understand how Dorukan's gate was protected, since he kept sending goblins in to test it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

My increasingly convoluted Thieves' Cant messages beg to differ.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    The description of her dungeon came from Shojo. As far as we know Xykon and Redcloak have no idea about how the gates were being guarded. They just know who's guarding each one. Xykon didn't know that the sapphire held the actual gate until Ochul went to destroy it, and he didn't seem to understand how Dorukan's gate was protected, since he kept sending goblins in to test it.
    Actually Miko is to blame. She almost got the sapphire when killing 'shojo, which 'hojo commnets on, and team evil catches as they can stll hear 'miko's scryed behind being caried out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a thought but what if everything was set up by Serini to finally end the world?

What if she sent her diary to X deliberately so he would ruin everything her group accomplished.

That marker on the statue tends to suggest things went downhill so what if THAT is the case and the Order is about to meet the reason for why Team Evil has gotten so far?

Could Belkar sacrificing himself be the impetus to bring Serini out of her psychotic breakdown enough to recognize the mistake she made and finally explain what actually happened back then and what is really going on?

Or is the next arc going to be the Order travelling into the Snarl's world to confront a god killing eldritch abomination in the ruins of the First World?!!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-12-01 at 03:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: last part of Hopeless spoiler
    Show
    Or is the next arc going to be the Order travelling into the Snarl's world to confront a god killing eldritch abomination in the ruins of the First World?!!

Nope.
    The Order isn't powerful enough for that; remember how quickly the first world ended ... a matter of hours.
    When Loki refers to something as "the god-killing abomination" that's not quite something a party of six can handle.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-01 at 05:04 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #22
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Do we know the diary is encrypted in the cipher sense? My Headcanon was that Serini's diary documented her journey, and if you knew certain landmarks or starting points, you could discern the end locations (which Xykon did because he knew where Lirians gate was). I can't remember if there's a strip/print page where the code is discussed in detail, so I don't know if there's anything to refute this.
    It's implied that it's a cipher somehow. When Xykon first talks about to the diary, he mentions having to first translate the location of Lirian's Gate INTO the code in order to crack it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Spoiler: last part of Hopeless spoiler
    Show

Nope.
    The Order isn't powerful enough for that; remember how quickly the first world ended ... a matter of hours.
    When Loki refers to something as "the god-killing abomination" that's not quite something a party of six can handle.
    Maybe if this was final fantasy, they could surpass the gods, kill the snarl all the while inflicting max 9999 damage or more if they had the bypass damage limit ability. I'm inclined to agree with you.

Though, a story where the world ends, and the order does make it to the 1st world to confront the snarl who has evolved to some degree and isn't the killing machine it appears to be could be a thing.

A simple story ending would be "the order succeeds. the snarl is sealed. happily ever after the end."

A much different and convoluted story would be "snarl falls. everyone dies and is erased...the end?" and the people who are killed by the snarl aren't erased but absorbed and made immortal inside the world of the snarl. no pain no conflict. nothing. The snarl lacking the ability to communicate outside its world can only "attack" and upon destruction, its victims are instead dragged into its world, with the snarl acting as dungeon master. playing with its victims on a whim, and doing as it pleases.

If this were the case, I guess the only way to beat it would be the likes of new godly might like the purple god the dark one making a pantheon to combat it, but thats getting ahead of myself.

Whether you want a more simple ending, or something more convoluted is up to you, but maybe a simpler ending would be best. No use jumping the shark after all.
    Vae Victus!

24. - Top - End - #24

Xykon's the final boss, not the Snarl.

Now, Xykon might do something to the Snarl in order to harness it prior to the big fight (likely after Redcloak gets thoroughly hoisted by his own undead petard), but it'll still be Xykon. Such a situation might play out like Final Fantasy 6, with the Snarl taking the place of the Warring Triad and Xykon taking the place of Kefka (and Redcloak taking the place of Gestahl).

Also, I think said fight should happen in Xykon's astral fortress, not at Kraagor's tomb. Its appearance has 'final dungeon' written all over it.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

25. - Top - End - #25

We still need to somehow reconcile the "there's a planet and lots of water beyond the rifts" we see in Azure City and the Desert, and the "there's a powerful threat inside that can lash out" from the desert, the crayons, and the gods.

Why is there a planet with lots of water beyond the rift, and why don't the gods know anything about it?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    and why don't the gods know anything about it?
    That seems to me to be the key question, per Belkar in strip 900
    Maybe someone's been yanking everyone's chain
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-02 at 11:22 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    That seems to me to be the key question, per Belkar in strip 900
    Maybe someone's been yanking everyone's chain
    I'm not sure Belkar is correct in assuming that there is a specific someone doing that: apparently it's not the gods (since they seem to be none the wiser), and I can't quite see who else would have that kind of power.

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'm not sure Belkar is correct in assuming that there is a specific someone doing that: apparently it's not the gods (since they seem to be none the wiser), and I can't quite see who else would have that kind of power.
    We don't know who gave the backstory about the Snarl's creation to the Sapphire Guard. So it could have been the 12 gods, or just one of them, like Rat or Pig, It also could have been Marduk, or Odin or Loki. But it almost certainly wasn't information supplied to them from all of the gods. So it's quite possible that some key information about the Snarl's genesis or possibly nature is known to only one god. So at the very least, it's possible that one god is "tricking" the others by allowing them to continue to believe an incomplete account of the Snarl's genesis and basic nature.

But, without any named characters having a means to get that information into the story, I kind of doubt that a god is going to be the source of a twist regarding the Snarl's nature at this point. Even if one of the gods is "tricking" people by allowing a not-complete account of the Snarl to propagate, there would have to be a way for that "trick" to mean something to the story. The "trick" would have to be worth maintaining over the many, many worlds that have existed in all this time. And I just don't see how that could be the case here. Granted, we know there's a bugbear shaman out there who doesn't worship The Dark One, but I'm still skeptical of this idea.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    There's also the matter that the general location of Soon's Gate would be obvious from the briefest of descriptions rather than coordinates--"It's in Azure City".
    Was the city there, named that way, when the Scribblers were there? The palace and the throne room were certainly built around the rift.

I also think that Serini may have included the locations of the gates in her diary BEFORE the party disbanded, so whatever defenses she knew about and decided to mention could be in a different part of it. Do we know if they only visited each rift once as a party (to seal each rift)? Or would they visit some of them several times, to research them so they could come up with the sealing spell(s) - and then, after they disbanded, each headed for the rift they were assigned to build its defences.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    The Dark One? Perhaps he put in some research of his own? He's a god and we know nearly nothing about what he's doing around nowish.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post
    Was the city there, named that way, when the Scribblers were there?
    You can see a mass of blue buildings in the crayon panel with the Azure City rift:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

And Soon talks about them being on a trip away from Azure City, in the previous strip:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele