New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default My new Minotaur Barbarian ...

I have recently been lucky enuf to start playing in a campaign as one of these ...
    It is very fun to play ...
    One thing I was wondering:
    Is there a way to lessen the penalties for squeezing?
    Being Large ... a normal corridor provides a -4 penalty to both AC and to hit ...
    is there any way (Feat maybe) that can lessen these penalties ?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: My new Minotaur Barbarian ...

Tunnel Fighting (Races of Stone, p. 145)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My new Minotaur Barbarian ...

Malleable armor property (+1 enhancement, FR Underdark p. 60) lets you move normally and retain your Dex bonus in tight spaces.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

There is a collar in arms and equipment guide that changes your size that might work too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

The collar in A&G is interesting because it sets your size to small while explicitly not changing your stats. This means you can fit into small spaces while still benefiting from your strength. Your weapon also remains it's same damage.

I use it for zombie dragon jetpacks on my necromancer characters.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2020-12-02 at 07:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Malleable armor property (+1 enhancement, FR Underdark p. 60) lets you move normally and retain your Dex bonus in tight spaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    The collar in A&G is interesting because it sets your size to small while explicitly not changing your stats. This means you can fit into small spaces while still benefiting from your strength. Your weapon also remains it's same damage.

I use it for zombie dragon jetpacks on my necromancer characters.
    Do they stack?
    Go from large to med with the collar, and fit in tight spaces with malleable? A minotaur barbarian in the warrens, charging through spaces he barely fits with his head down, great axe in hand in front of himself while power attacking. lol

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

What is said collar called?
    I see Armband of Reduction, which sounds like what you're referring to.

Just ran across the Eversoaking Sponge again. Need to figure out something to do with that at some point.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    What is said collar called?
    I see Armband of Reduction, which sounds like what you're referring to.

Just ran across the Eversoaking Sponge again. Need to figure out something to do with that at some point.
    Shrink Collar. Its from the Arms and Equipment Guide.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I see it now. It's not in wonderous items but in the other section. Thanks.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Malleable armor property (+1 enhancement, FR Underdark p. 70) lets you move normally and retain your Dex bonus in tight spaces.
    That would be great if you lost your Dexterity bonus in tight spaces. Any space smaller than your own is -4 AC and -4 to hit. It's only when you get to a space smaller than half your size that you also lose Dex to AC, in which case you are also completely unable to attack.

You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space costs double. While squeezed in a narrow space, you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to AC.

Squeezing into Very Tight Spaces: To squeeze through or into a space less than half your space’s width, you must succeed on a DC 30 Escape Artist check. You can’t attack while using Escape Artist to squeeze through or into a narrow space, you take a –4 penalty to AC, and you’re denied your Dexterity bonus to AC.
    Rules Compendium, pages 95-96

I doubt that Minotaur is going to be able to use Escape Artist with an armor check penalty to squeeze into a space less than 1 square wide.

The only real benefit you get from that is normal movement speed.

EDIT: The writers of Underdark seemed to think you do lose your Dex to AC for being in any cramped space (Underdark, page 110-112). The Underdark rules are more granular than the Rules Compendium rules but I don't think they have the authority to overrule them. Regardless, I don't think there's any issue with implementing them over the Rules Compendium rules.
    Last edited by SirNibbles; 2020-12-03 at 08:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

one other thing that can help is asking your wizard player to keep the grees spell handy if your in (for you) tight quaters. the extra lube will stop being slowed when squished and will also help ease all that that friction burn. :P