New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Racial at will spells

certain races get a will spells (e.g., yuan-ti suggestion). When casting these spells, do they require the spellcaster to follow the components (e.g., v, s, m) or is it subsumed in the race? So, in case of yuan-ti, does that race need to go through the motions of casting the spell, or does just happen as part of their action?
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Racial at will spells

I believe if components are not required, it will specifically say so. It's possible there's a general rule for racial or "innate" magic, though I don't know that racial spells would automatically qualify as innate (they could be learned e.g. a high elf studying a bit of wizardry to get their free cantrip).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The spell components still apply.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I know the gith explicitly say they don't require components, so I suppose that means if it's not specifically mentioned they do.

But I don't think I've played with or seen anyone require material components for racial spellcasting and I think I can count the times I've seen anyone care about somatic/verbal for racial spells on one hand. I suspect it's because it feels less like an innate power if you have to follow the component rules and I think in practice the once-a-day spells aren't imbalanced by what's essentially free subtle spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

RAW you still need VSM for racial spells so it can be problematic when you are not a spell casting class and pick a background that doesn’t grant you enough money to buy a spell component pouch.

However most DM are pretty reasonable about either throwing in a component pouch or hand waving the VSM for racial spells.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    certain races get a will spells (e.g., yuan-ti suggestion). When casting these spells, do they require the spellcaster to follow the components (e.g., v, s, m) or is it subsumed in the race? So, in case of yuan-ti, does that race need to go through the motions of casting the spell, or does just happen as part of their action?
    Yuan-ti don't get at-will Suggestion - they get Poison Spray and Animal Friendship (Snakes Only). At the right level, they get Suggestion 1/long rest.

Components are needed unless the ability says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    RAW you still need VSM for racial spells so it can be problematic when you are not a spell casting class and pick a background that doesn’t grant you enough money to buy a spell component pouch.

However most DM are pretty reasonable about either throwing in a component pouch or hand waving the VSM for racial spells.
    Given the list of components needed is so low, and they don't have a cost, I just write the specific material components on the character sheet.

Sometimes they can be drawn from other kits, too - e.g. if you have a Disguise Kit, you have the makeup needed for Friends spell

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

For a creature with minor illusion and no other spells, you could just wear a fleece vest or jacket that you pinch a tuft of while casting. No need even to remove it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Whenever I DM I treat spells like this as “don’t worry about having the specific components, but VSM still apply as they exist to subtly balance spells, EG. V spells can’t be cast underwater.”
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

thanks for the info. Dratz. My concept for my yuati is that she seduces folks, but when that happens it's mechanically her casting suggestion. kinda hard to seduce someone at the bar when your casting a spell
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

1/day and contingent on a saving throw is way too unreliable. Plus, not only are you asking for a de facto Subtle Spell, you're also asking for the ability to ensure that your target doesn't notice anything amiss if they do happen to pass their save. (I don't think that 5e has said explicitly whether people realize if they're making a save. 3.5 explicitly said that they do, and this is definitely a thing you'd want to check with your DM before assuming.)

The good news is that since it's just one spell you need the component for, you can probably have the components in an easily accessible and unobtrusive form, like built into a ring. (in 5e, components aren't consumed unless they're explicitly stated to be.) Subtle and unnoticeable on a save might well be a bit much to ask, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

thanks for the info. Dratz. My concept for my yuati is that she seduces folks, but when that happens it's mechanically her casting suggestion. kinda hard to seduce someone at the bar when your casting a spell
    True, but if it's for a home game you can always discuss with your DM. The components are Material and Verbal, so you might be able to get away with it not being too obvious depending on table interpretation of the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, if your character is going to be using magic to rape people, that's probably something to discuss with the whole table before the game starts.