New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Assuming the order finds the gate. What next?

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Greyview: Existence is pain *bites the gate*

KABOOOOM!!!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Assuming the order finds the gate. What next?

The IFCC has plans. They have a device and the will to use it. This is not over with gate. This is not anywhere near the end. My guess 5 to 6 hundred strips. If not another 1,000 jokes must be made.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    The IFCC has plans. They have a device and the will to use it. This is not over with gate. This is not anywhere near the end. My guess 5 to 6 hundred strips. If not another 1,000 jokes must be made.
    And I think that the device is an artifact ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Greyview: Existence is pain *bites the gate*

KABOOOOM!!!
    Order of the Scribble: "I know that for the last four gates, we constructed them so as they can be destroyed by fire, a self-destruct rune, a sword, and another sword - but this time, how about we make the gate out of pure nitroglycerin? Let's make it out of a material that actively counteracts its own existence.

"I mean, we could just pour 100 meters of concrete over it, but that's just silly."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Order of the Scribble: "I know that for the last four gates, we constructed them so as they can be destroyed by fire, a self-destruct rune, a sword, and another sword - but this time, how about we make the gate out of pure nitroglycerin? Let's make it out of a material that actively counteracts its own existence.

"I mean, we could just pour 100 meters of concrete over it, but that's just silly."
    They already covered the last Gate with concrete.

It didn't work.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of a giant enormous hole in the ground that you fill in. Something nondescript so its location wouldn't immediately be obvious. Then you build an entire dungeon or pyramid on top of it. And you leave absolutely no passageways open that go to wherever the gate is - on the assumption that no mortal has any good reason to try to reach the gate's location (which I think is a reasonable assumption). Even the real pyramid builders in Egypt tried to blocked up the passageways to keep their mummies safe from looters. While I totally understand Girard's trust in the powers of illusion and deception of the mind, I think that these could've been supplemented with the power of "not constructing a corridor that leads directly to the gate's location".

I was also thinking of utilizing a concrete mixture formula that was not quite so brittle. A couple whacks from Roy's big knife and it falls apart? That's some unsafe building practices there. I think Girard needs to get his money back from whichever cowboy builders constructed his pyramid.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

A couple whacks from Roy's big knife and it falls apart? That's some unsafe building practices there. I think Girard needs to get his money back from whichever cowboy builders constructed his pyramid.
    That mixed metaphor didn't work. Concur with the 'not to code' building practices, however.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I was thinking more along the lines of a giant enormous hole in the ground that you fill in. Something nondescript so its location wouldn't immediately be obvious.
    We have an actual real-world analogue, in the Finnish tunnels that will store nuclear waste for millions of years! They tried brainstorming all sorts of warning messages that would be translatable no matter how language evolved...but in the end they're just gonna try hiding it.

I assumed that the gates need regular coatings of Dorukan's Mystical Gate Paint (Lead-free) to maintain their proper shine and prevent tarnishing.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

I dunno, the Dwarves and the Azurites, at least, must know the urgency. And Tarquin and his buddies are aware of the problem generally.

Yes, only the residents of Thane City are definitely updated on the urgency of the circumstances and the Azurites are weakened and far away - but you'd think those groups would send what they could, given the stakes?

Like, if the Order of Khabib's only allies were the residents of Saskatoon and what remained of the Australians after Cthulhu arose from his sleep underneath Sydney Opera House - I'd think they'd try to send what they could, you know? Like whatever was left of the Australian Defense Force, and maybe the local Saskatchewan troop of Mounties. What else do they have on their schedule that outweighs "imminent end of the cosmos"? You'd think there'd be some volunteers.

And why don't the Order of Khabib just ask broadly for some more help, y'know? Send out a request for assistance. It's the end of all existence - couldn't they put together a crowdfunding campaign at least to cover costs? Sure, secrecy is important - the Australian Secret Intelligence Service/Sapphire Guard has devoted decades to preserving the secret that New South Wales was just R'yleh's penthouse - but it feels like secrecy should be a secondary priority at this point.
    Is it weird that I really, really want to watch a film about that?
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Wizard (2nd Level)

My favourite forms of humour involve wordplay, self-deprecation and their
    mutant hybrid offspring: Intentionally misreading semantically ambiguous
    phrasing. Beware thy missing Oxford commas!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

While I totally understand Girard's trust in the powers of illusion and deception of the mind, I think that these could've been supplemented with the power of "not constructing a corridor that leads directly to the gate's location".
    By which you mean at least two, but up to four corridors to make things even worse, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Malloon View Post
    Is it weird that I really, really want to watch a film about that?
    You're not the only one.