New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate II Wizardry & 5e

I'm not sure yet.
    I only ever played all the way through BG1 once, and I didn't like it nearly as much as BG2.

BG2, however, I have solo'd with every single character class type, as well as completed with a bunch of party combos. I haven't run through ToB as many times, but there's not as much content to hold in my head there. I am pretty sure I can run 80% of the campaign with no notes except monster statblocks and a couple of browser pages open to MikesRPGCenter and maybe a Gamefaqs file to look up some monologues or conversations that I want to use lines from (Firkraag, Irenicus, the Harper stuff if somebody goes that route, etc.).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I'm not sure yet.
    I only ever played all the way through BG1 once, and I didn't like it nearly as much as BG2.

BG2, however, I have solo'd with every single character class type, as well as completed with a bunch of party combos. I haven't run through ToB as many times, but there's not as much content to hold in my head there. I am pretty sure I can run 80% of the campaign with no notes except monster statblocks and a couple of browser pages open to MikesRPGCenter and maybe a Gamefaqs file to look up some monologues or conversations that I want to use lines from (Firkraag, Irenicus, the Harper stuff if somebody goes that route, etc.).
    Insert "did we just become best friends" meme here.

Except I played BGI just as much. I'm too much of a powergamer to skip out on the stat boosts.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a product out there by Arcanum Worlds called "Heroes of Baldur's Gate", which is a nice story that takes place shortly after BG1. Gorion's Ward is mentioned as someone that saved the city, but the PCs do not play as him/her/them.

However, it has some interesting bits, including "Epic Backgrounds", new monsters, a few magic items (ankheg plate, anyone?), and NPC stats for many of the NPCs, friendly and otherwise (as well as some AMAZING art for them).
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The one thing that doesn't easily carry over is wizardry. In BG2, a single mid/high-level wizard is a multi-level fight (much of the time) simply thanks to the layered protections. Mantle, Spell Trap, Time Stop, Stoneskin, Globe of Invulnerability, Protection from Normal Weapons/PFMW, and the like are pretty common. It often requires a Pierce Magic->Breach combo taking at least two rounds to take down enemy defenses; add True Sight or See Invisibility on first if the wizard is also invisible.

That many layered defenses are simply impossible in 5e, which makes it very hard to replicate the "a lone Lich is a threat to an 8th level party" effect, short of one-hit "Oh Meteor Swarm" type tactics.

I'd rather stay mostly within the existing rules, but I don't see a way to bring back real spell defense and spell duels without hard-breaking the Concentration mechanic, and also homebrewing up a bunch of spells.
    - Legendary and Lair actions, especially if these are solo vs party encounters. You need to be able to use the majority of your spell slots before 3-5 rounds have elapsed.
    - Glyph of Warding, Symbol, Contingency, etc allow you to get around action economy restrictions quite a bit, even after special actions as above.
    - Don’t forget Reaction spells (Absorb Elements, Shield, Counterspell, etc) which weren’t really a thing back then (casting was generally a proactive affair even into 3.PF)
    - Tiny Servant, Simulacrum, Animate/Conjure/Summon XYZ, Planar Binding, regular minions to put more bodies on the field and potentially buff you with their own spells or interact with yours (like throwing magic stones and such) unless you prefer concentrating on a BFC + Damage spell
    - Mage Armor, Mirror Image, Nondetection/Magic Aura, Phantom Steed, Hallucinatory Terrain, Fire Shield, Faithful Hound, See Invisibility/True Seeing, Mind Blank, etc don’t use Concentration and can be precast

Edit: Shield Guardians! They can hold a spell for you which means one extra concentration effect in play. Same story with charmed mages or any ally with magic items like scrolls or a Ring of Spell Storing.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2020-12-29 at 06:17 AM.