New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default What System For Pokemon?

Why Pokemon?
    Because Pokemon.

I know of PTU, but it's a little too crunchy for my tastes at the moment. Any other good systems for a good ol' Pokemoning?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What System For Pokemon?

Fate is always an option?

I'd also say MnM is an option with its arrays allowing you to be able to summon six different things and switch them out, but you have to build every pokemon you summon from points up just like you have to build the trainer.

if I recall, Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine either can be pokemon or used pokemon as an example of how it works for something, but its Chuubo's and I don't understand how Chuubo's works myself despite having the book....so I dunno.

BESM has the Pet Monster Tamer template and I assume it being an anime system its built to handle a pokemon game having specific stuff for it, but I'm not sure if its less crunchy than PTU?

I dunno, PTU is kind of uniquely specialized for this sort of thing. most systems are all about controlling one character, because controlling more than one gets into minionmancy concerns. when pokemon is all about the minionmancy.

I could try googling this but I'm not sure if I'd get anything but PTU results spat back out at me.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PTU is the general go to but I am sure there is a D20 version of Pokemon somewhere on the internet. Only other real systems would be Fate or perhaps Mutants and Masterminds that I know of.

Did recall also there was a 5E homebrew of pokemon that was sizable in terms of content.
    Last edited by GentlemanVoodoo; 2020-11-29 at 11:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Savage Worlds might work. Make a character with the 'Child' Flaw, then pick a creature off the list of enemies, give it one Edge (It's Hidden Ability) and a couple of Magical Powers, and you're pretty much done.

Pick an appropriate combination - Horse/Blast spell for a Ponyta, etc - and it will probably be okay if you track your Mons' XP along with your own so that they can pick up more Edges and Powers later.

Not sure how Evolution would work in such circumstances.... Maybe +15XP and an appropriate free Edge when they hit an appropriate Rank, to make them bigger/tougher/whatever?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I might recheck PTU. Been a while since I've really played with it, but I do remember it being unneededly complex.

I dunno. Thanks all, for your advice! :)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

BESM had the "Cute & Fuzzy Seizure Monsters" sourcebook back in the day if I remember correctly.

And there's always Pokethulhu...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I am currently writing a Powered by the Apocalypse hack for Pokemon. I have only a few more things to do before it goes into playtesting. I hope to have it in PDF form by mid-year next year. I'd be happy to share what I've got until then.

Here's the intro page on all the concepts for people to look over if they're interested.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-11-30 at 12:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have to second FATE here. Problem is, Pokemon can mean a whole lot of things - do you want to feel it like the anime, manga, GB games, Let's go? All of these are Pokemon and all of these have different requirements - with FATE, you just tweak a few things here and there and call it a day.
    Last edited by Martin Greywolf; 2020-11-30 at 01:59 PM.
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Toon: The Cartoon Roleplaying Game!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I might recheck PTU. Been a while since I've really played with it, but I do remember it being unneededly complex.

I dunno. Thanks all, for your advice! :)
    As a dev for PTU, there is a lot of cruft in the system, and that is known. (It's why the other devs have moved on to create a much more refined system, while I keep the 'Dexes coming.) However, if you pop in the Discord, there're a lot of collected resources based on the 5+ years of experience with the system. And they cut down a lot on unneeded stuff. Make things a fair bit simpler in spots.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

STaRS would work! One of the sample magic systems is pretty close to Pokemon; if you're interested, I could do a slightly expanded writeup.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PTU (1.05) is pretty easy to get hang of, considering how mechanically complex the games are.

I recommend this system because it focuses on minionmancy and it kind of balances off the aspect, having the trainers to be useful and active during battle is pretty nice. Also, you can fluff it up to other settings like the ever good space opera, or a warring kingdoms style of game.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.