New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Looking for a space shipbuilder/ship combat system to tack on to D&D 5e game

As the title say. So what do you recommend and why.
    Last edited by Throne12; 2020-12-01 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a shipbuilder/ship combat system to tack on to D&D 5e game

The 2e Pirates of the Fallen Stars supplement has a decent ship combat system that is very much D&D compatible. It's 2e so you'd need to adapt it to 5e, but that should be workable. It doesn't really focus on ship building.

I'm playing in a 1e game right now that is naval focused. My DM in that game has used this supplement to help run ship to ship combat. It's been pretty fun so far!
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a space shipbuilder/ship combat system to tack on to D&D 5e game

*coughSPELLJAMMERcough*
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a space shipbuilder/ship combat system to tack on to D&D 5e game

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    *coughSPELLJAMMERcough*
    Just noticed this and that's actually not bad idea. SJ does very little to take advantage of the 3D nature of space combat, so it's really just naval combat re-skinned. It has quite a variety of ships and weapons including firearms, and a very workable combat system. Still no real system of shipbuilding, but for combat that's probably the best D&D ship-to-ship system out there.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Spelljammer could work. It doesn't have a great ship construction system, but Tarkas Brain Lab IV has a pretty decent one for Spelljammer. I've got the 2E version (bottom link on the site) compiled into a spreadsheet (available in the link in my sig - file is Alternate Ship Design).

While Spelljammer doesn't usually go for 3D combat, it really doesn't matter when there are only 2 or 3 ships. Any three points define a plane, so you really only need 3D if you've got 4 or more ships involved. War Captain's Companion *does* have rules for resolving 3D combat. It generally involves using a die to mark your elevation, and a table-look-up to see how far away your target is, based on horizontal and vertical distances.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-12-10 at 07:43 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    As the title say. So what do you recommend and why.
    You say "tack on" and not "integrate" so...

Mongoose Traveller (2e in preference) as the general assumption is that ships will only shoot another ship (or object of comparable size). Rules do exists for ship to person but they are crunch light and understandably fatal. The system used for ships is almost stand-alone. Only a tiny houserule of determining skills is needed;

IMO;

Traveller runs on a 2d6 with 8 being the average DC. Simply start at -2 and add Proficiency. Whether ability scores should count is up to you.

Note that ability bonus tops at +3 and not +5 without magical/technical mods. For PCs with multiple 18+s will far out perform Traveller PCs.

D20 future (a splat of d20 modern) and future tech both deal with spacecraft. Being a 3e clone you only really need to adjust BAB and saves.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's possible Dragonstar had some spaceships and space-combat rules, but I don't think our group used them much.

It's among one of the many games that came out in the glory days of 3.0 and the OGL. The setting is D&D, but now in space in a glorious space empire ruled by dragons (I actually really dig this setting and it had lots of cool ideas).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon...-playing_game)
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

D&D 5E has some basic ship to ship rules already in Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Late the the thread but consider Sky_Galleons_of_Mars if you can find the board game. It's lots of fun to have flying ships.
    --
    Only certainty in life: when icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Starfinder? I've not looked at the spaceship stuff, but it's D20.