New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: will dnd be sold off by hasbro

Quote Originally Posted by Amdy_vill View Post
    to be honest, it would probably be Konami or another big company, it is very unlikely it would go to a group like Paizo, kobold press, or such. it might if there are no big fish biting. it might also get sold off in pieces. dnd and MTG are massive and could easily be broken up and sold. they could sell the IP of the RPG and the literature separately. If it is sold like that WotC would not be a thing anymore.
    Oh god now I'm imagining the alternate timeline where it goes to Konami and it's Dungeons and Dragons Survive and pachinko machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Or, to put it another way, I personally would not be at all surprised if Disney bought Hasbro tomorrow. There's a fair amount of synergy there and it adds useful capabilities to Disney.

I would be shocked if they bought WotC from Hasbro.
    That's possible - but that would be a pretty hefty acquisition, even by Disney standards. Hasbro's market cap is just under 13 billion, which means that it would likely take about 15 billion to buy it via tender offer (assuming Hasbro doesn't pull a poison pill to avoid it). Disney's market cap is about 268 billion, so Hasbro is much smaller, but Disney is not a Google, Microsoft, or Amazon with a hundred billion in cash equivalents on hand. A quick Google search shows that Disney has about 4 billion cash on hand, so they would either need to buy Hasbro via stock and/or debt. Neither is out of the question, but either would be a big tactical move.

Really - while I agree that there would be some benefit to Disney in buying Hasbro via vertical integration, it might actually hurt Hasbro quite a bit.

Hasbro makes toys for all of the Disney movies, but they ALSO make toys for a bunch of other movies and other IPs which they don't own. If Disney suddenly bought Hasbro - how many of those IPs would shift their manufacturing to Mattel (or whatever) to avoid giving their competitor (Disney) any help? Or even just (understandably) fear that their own manufacturing would always take a backseat to whatever Hasbro was churning out for Disney if there was another manufacturing crunch like there has been the last year or so (first due to the trade war with China, and then COVID issues - Hasbro has not been able to keep up with demand)?

With all of those costs and risks, I don't see Disney making a tender offer to Hasbro any time in the near future. (Which is too bad - because I'd appreciate getting an instant 15-20% boost over the current price on my HAS.)
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2020-11-30 at 06:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

It would be convenient timing to be sold with the new owner putting out 6E in time for the 50th anniversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    It would be convenient timing to be sold with the new owner putting out 6E in time for the 50th anniversary.

That might be the most convincing piece of evidence yet.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post

Ten years from now the ownership chain will look like: TSR acquired by WotC acquired by Hasbro acquired by Disney acquired by Amazon acquired by [doesn't exist yet in 2020, creator is still in 8th grade].

Hasbro seems like a big fish but some of the fishes out there are enormously huge.
    Look man, how else are we going to get power rangers and x men crossover game, it's not like I can just stat it out in FATE in an afternoon I need a big company to do it for me and take my money, then deliver it to my door via drone.
    yo

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

to be honest, it would probably be Konami or another big company.
    I suppose Konami is possible. They do own the Yugioh card game. I'd certainly hate to see it, though. I don't really like the idea of the D&D brand being used to promote pachinko machines laundering money for the Yakuza.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Huh. Interesting. I have no opinion but I do wish I had a few spare million dollars. I'd love to buy D&D and then force everyone to acknowledge my favorite house rules as the new official RAW. ;)
    Finally a good edition!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #38

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    I suppose Konami is possible. They do own the Yugioh card game. I'd certainly hate to see it, though. I don't really like the idea of the D&D brand being used to promote pachinko machines laundering money for the Yakuza.
    I feel like you think the yakuza launder money, when they just walk do to the local yakuza owned bank and have a nice and fair transaction. no. laundering required.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

But who would need to buy WotC in order for us to get D&D: Battle Royale?

10. - Top - End - #40

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    But who would need to buy WotC in order for us to get D&D: Battle Royale?
    epic will do it.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #41

NecromancerGuy

I feel like you think the yakuza launder money, when they just walk do to the local yakuza owned bank and have a nice and fair transaction. no. laundering required.
    I stand corrected. Thank you, Professor Crimes.
    Last edited by Sception; 2020-12-02 at 06:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Unlikely there's any truth to this, but it might make sense for them to sell off D&D and not MtG. Is it very likely that D&D could continue its current success? Sell the lower revenue part of WotC when its at max value.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

I read the article.

I'm unconvinced.

However, it's also been a rough year for the economy all round; if they need to drop a modestly profitable segment for cash now, I'd be... a little surprised considering how cheap credit is right now, but who knows what a company will do in the face of a global economic collapse?

14. - Top - End - #44

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
    What is Yggdrasil IS in your backyard...?
    Given that it's the world tree, it IS the backyard. Everyone's backyard. And no recorded incidents of anyone falling off. Thus climbing trees ought to be an auto-pass, since everyone's always climbing the biggest tree and never falls.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2020-12-02 at 02:37 AM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

15. - Top - End - #45

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    I stand corrected. Thank you, Professor Crimes.
    It is actually quite terrifying how public they are. some buildings uses to just have yakuza plastered on their walls. like how McDonald's has the big M, some Yakuza buildings had Yakuza.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    I don't think that Disney wants to get into the manufacturing toys/games market. They already outsource all of their Disney cartoon and Star Wars toys to Hasbro - it seems unlikely that they'd buy WotC before they bring the manufacturing for their own IPs in-house.
    There are antitrust implications there as well. They had hoops to jump through to get Fox.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    There are antitrust implications there as well. They had hoops to jump through to get Fox.
    Probably not. Anti-trust laws are about horizonal monopolies - while buying Hasbro would be Disney going vertical - which anti-trust laws (at least in the US) don't care about, as they're largely about keeping competition around for the good of the consumers. (Note: EU anti-trust laws are a different beast as they're aimed more at protecting businesses with a bit of a protectionist leaning rather than protecting consumers. I don't know enough about the intricacies to weigh in there, or even know if they'd have jurisdiction.)
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2020-12-02 at 05:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    Probably not. Anti-trust laws are about horizonal monopolies - while buying Hasbro would be Disney going vertical - which anti-trust laws (at least in the US) don't care about, as they're largely about keeping competition around for the good of the consumers. (Note: EU anti-trust laws are a different beast as they're aimed more at protecting businesses with a bit of a protectionist leaning rather than protecting consumers. I don't know enough about the intricacies to weigh in there, or even know if they'd have jurisdiction.)
    Hasbro does have a kinda big media branch. I might cause problems. probably not if it did happen.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Hasbro does have a kinda big media branch. I might cause problems. probably not if it did happen.
    I just had a moment with your user name. When I read it and tried to say it out loud, it evoked the memory of a movie:
    Amityville Horror

Not sure if that's your intention, but that's what happened.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #50

RedWizardGuy

I just had a moment with your user name. When I read it and tried to say it out loud, it evoked the memory of a movie:
    Amityville Horror

Not sure if that's your intention, but that's what happened.
    so I used to play a mobile game where you build up a city in the zombie apocalypse. when you made you account I suggested naming your account like a town or city, so like the idiot I am I misspelled Andy as Amdy and added vill as in Village to the end. since then it kinda stuck. I didn't even know what Amityville was for like another 3 or 4 years.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

so like the idiot I am I misspelled Andy as Amdy and added vill as in Village to the end.
    /em Marlon Brando voice

The horror!

(Sometimes, jokes don't land, not sure how this one will do ...)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-03 at 12:47 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #52

RedWizardGuy

/em Marlon Brando voice

The horror!

(Sometimes, jokes don't land, not sure how this one will do ...)
    I love people asking about my username, It becomes so tied to me and it's just a reminder that I was once a studied kid who couldn't spell. as I say this Grammarly caught 19 spelling mistakes and I am also only 19 so I am still a kid.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I would look at the article, Hasbro has been canceling projects and transferring assets from WotC. this isn't common outside of massive reorganization or sales. think about it WotCs only remaining assets are MTG, DND, half a dozen failed RPG and card games, and a few new attempts at card games and RPG yet to hit the market.
    Gee, I dunno. If only there was a Giant in the RPG industry, or should I say, an Ancient Dragon in a Dungeon, that laid out the groundwork for a plethora of other RPG's both tabletop and video games alike, that has been around for nigh 50 years, still respected by millions of players, even if they're not all actively playing the latest edition. A game like that would alone be worth keeping by any publisher.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-12-03 at 03:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

At first I borderline scoffed at this idea. As I've thought more, and talked with some friends, I actually think its possible. Not because Hasbro is necessarily looking to sell anything to generate some capital.... but because Hasbro itself could be prepping for themselves to be purchased. If that's the case, I see the sale of D&D as a much higher probability than I previously thought.

I think the following is all possible, some more likely than others:

1. Disney buys Hasbro. This move actually makes a ton of sense. Just from the toys and board games alone, Disney gets to keep everything in-house. Plus the super family friendly brand joining the king of family brands, all under one umbrella, it makes sense.

2. If Disney buys Hasbro, do they want everything under Hasbro? Do they want WOTC? Do they want D&D specifically? Paramount currently has the film rights. Lets not forget that Marvel gave Paramount 115 million a decade ago to get the distribution rights to the Marvel films they collaborated on (Avengers was the first in-house distributed film for Marvel as they started the MCU, it was Paramount before then). Its possible that D&D isn't worth including in the price tag of this whole deal, especially when you consider that D&D isn't just tabletop books. Its things like merchandising, film rights, etc.

3. If D&D isn't part of the deal, who / what has the interest, knowledge, and cash to snag D&D as a brand? Who knows what they're doing in the TTRPG space? Paizo? Paizo is big, for sure. And I'm not dissing them at all when I say this, but they don't have the cash. If I were a betting man (Spoilers: I'm a degenerate gambler), I'd wager a company like Asmodee to try to get the D&D brand. If you're not familiar with them, here's a list of their best sellers: https://b2b-media-production-ana.s3....s_10162020.pdf
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2020-12-03 at 04:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

How does this compare to hasbro obtaining DND WOTC around the time of 3.5e-4e? I had heard that was the reason at the time. With 4e turning into WoW-esque ( I never played it myself ). 5e coming about from backlash and constant errata-fortheerrata-fortheerrata each month.